Confirmed with Link: Tatar Re-Signs (4 years, $5.3 million)

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Tatar's PP goals have gone from 9 to 7 to 5 in recent years. His assists on there went from 10 to 8 to 3. He scored just find at even strength last season 20 goals. We need that PP goals to get back up and the assists. A decent PP, a healthier Tats, and that's potentially 30/25.

We need the PP to be in the top half.

He needs to be on the right wing in the slot so he can get one-timers off. Either 1st or 2nd unit.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Works for me.

This is a pretty good contract.

I would like to move Nyquist or Tatar soon though.

I'd agree with this if "we" had any serious aspirations to commit to building a contender, but with the current muddle instead of that kind of plan, I don't see the point to moving them now.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Not a good signing since the Wings won't be making the playoffs for the entire duration of the contract.

Keep up the good work Kenny. Spend 80 million dollars to build a non playoff team.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
I'm so torn on this contract.

Tatar has proven these past two years he doesn't really fit with Trashills system. Yeah he might have scored 21G and 25G, but he looked lost and unmotivated. Also he needs an elite player to make things happen for him. Besides Z who else can really carry him to make him worth this contract? Maybe Nyquist at times during the season, for like 4 or 5 games at a time. Hopefully Mantha and Larkin soon but yeah... this might not look good once Z is really done.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'm so torn on this contract.

Tatar has proven these past two years he doesn't really fit with Trashills system. Yeah he might have scored 21G and 25G, but he looked lost and unmotivated. Also he needs an elite player to make things happen for him. Besides Z who else can really carry him to make him worth this contract? Maybe Nyquist at times during the season, for like 4 or 5 games at a time. Hopefully Mantha and Larkin soon but yeah... this might not look good once Z is really done.

Contrary to what Ken Holland thinks this is a young man's league and it requires speed. Tatar is one of our best players and this is a very reasonable deal. I won't let Holland's total mismanagement of the roster reflect poorly on a good contract for a good, young player in his prime who has proven he can produce in the men's league. I'd prefer there be no NMC/NTC but we all know Holland gonna Holland. Hopefully the franchise has a new externally acquired GM next year and the roster can get some semblance of coherence.

I've complained loudly about the awful contracts given to Howard, Abby and Helm and I was also very vocal about buying out Franzen when the new CBA was signed. With that being rehashed I don't want to see us give away every single good young player we have unless the value is there. The value for trading Tatar was there prior to this previous season and nothing got done. I'm fine with holding onto Tatar would just prefer to be able to move him at any point in time if/when it benefits the franchise.

That's a minor concern though, I am happy to be able to watch another talented guy play in the Red Wings lineup next season. There are far too few of those types of guys on the roster which is why we are so, so bad right now.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Not a bad deal. Signed comparably to what second line goal scorers are paid nowadays. Glad it isn't a 5+ year deal. Hope he doesn't have a ntc so the wings have the option of moving him for picks and maybe a B d-prospect in a 1-2 years.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Tatar is the kind of player who doesn't make a lick of difference on whether we suck or we don't. In that sense it's a deal that neither really helps or hurts the Wings. Even teams that suck need their 'stars' even if they're really just nothing special scoring wingers.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I like Tatar but his deal is like everything else Red Wings lately, meh. Reading people gushing for joy...I guess I'm not as enamored by his play as others. He's not a 1st line or a playoff performer. He doesn't just shy away from contact he leaps like a sprit from it. Great shot but he's not a 5.3MD player, sorry. You've got to do more than score a goal ever 4 games. The comparison to players like Palat ,Johnson, Zucarrello, etc. who've helped carry their teams to the SCF are off base. Instead of a discount we're slightly overpaying as usual. This payment is barely fair value. Why couldn't he just take 4.75???

If the Wings had any inclination toward rebuilding we would have gone to arbitration for a 1 year agreement with the intention to get a pick or 2 at the TD. Instead we're locked into yet another totally average player that we really don't need.

In the closed Tatar thread njx9 had a few serious questions about the contract worth repeating:

...Anyone who wants a rebuild should be happy to get rid of Tatar, and should be happy that KH's offer wasn't good enough to bring him back long term. It doesn't mean KH was smart or planned this, or that it's an intentional strategy, but I have no earthly idea why you'd ever want to bring Tatar back on this team, under these circumstances. A few more goals and a bit more scoring simply isn't worth any extra points in the standings, and keeping a player who isn't age-matched to the inevitable rebuild is silly.

If the team had been managed better, and if the team didn't have a logjam of inane contracts for worse old players, re-signing Tatar right now still wouldn't make any sense. At some point, you have to stop desperately clinging to players who are just good enough to have pretty box scores, but who are not, in any way, good enough to get the team to contention.

Whether Tatar wanted 6 or 4 or 2, he still shouldn't be resigned to this team. That's all I'm finding odd - that there's any contingent at all (at least, apart from the minority who think this team could still make the playoffs) who want him resigned or who are upset that Holland didn't/couldn't/won't bring him back on a long term deal.

And while I absolutely agree, again, that Tatar should've been moved before now, moving him now is still an infinitely better move than resigning him on a 'real' contract.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
One of the few decent players on the team, don't mind the deal.

Hard-working player that can score 20 goals a year pretty easily, we don't have many of those.

Tatar, Mantha, AA and Larkin should hit 20 goals next season.

TNigs

60 mins of Hell
Jul 29, 2012
Hockeytown
Great deal! Didn't Tats have a bit of a bum shoulder at some point last year? And he still led the wings in goals last year. He's still only 26.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
The term is perfect

I am shocked that he signed it however

I honestly thought he wanted out or at least an option to explore.

I wonder if they made some sort of last minute agreement with him to look for a trade or something

the no trade being open this year would fit that and it WOULD be kinda win-win(he gets term instead of having to settle for a 1 year deal and the Wings get a much nicer return than if they were looking to trade him as a pending UFA)

should be interesting to see how it all shakes out in any case

MyNHLPearlsOfWisdom*

Jun 14, 2017
I am pretty uneasy about this signing really as Tatar is not what you would call a "complete " player , but the rumour was he was offered 5 years at 5 mil and turned it down .I guess we can trash that rumour.Oddly though I still think the wings could land on their feet [mod].

Last edited by a moderator:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Great deal! Didn't Tats have a bit of a bum shoulder at some point last year? And he still led the wings in goals last year. He's still only 26.

His shoulder has been an issue for the last 2 seasons, but he only missed 1 game. He could've had surgery last off-season but Tats decided to rehab.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

He had a torn rotator cuff, That he had surgery on April 10th i believe and he said that it's already feeling great. I've a feeling he's going to have a great year this year maybe even come close to potting 30 goals.

MyNHLPearlsOfWisdom*

Jun 14, 2017
Agreed i would not really want Coreau to hit waivers either, But unless Holland can move one of either Mrazek or Howard and either is likely to move. I don't see what choice we've as Coreau is no longer waiver exempt this year.

Put Mrazek in the minors if Coreau wins the day

He had a torn rotator cuff, That he had surgery on April 10th i believe and he said that it's already feeling great. I've a feeling he's going to have a great year this year maybe even come close to potting 30 goals.
I did not know this

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
We need the PP to be in the top half.

Good point. agreed

If the Wings had any inclination toward rebuilding we would have gone to arbitration for a 1 year agreement with the intention to get a pick or 2 at the TD.

I'm not opposed to trading him at all. I think he has more value locked up as opposed to just being a rental though. This is a good signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad