Confirmed with Link: Tatar Re-Signs (4 years, $5.3 million)

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I wonder if they made some sort of last minute agreement with him to look for a trade or something

the no trade being open this year would fit that and it WOULD be kinda win-win(he gets term instead of having to settle for a 1 year deal and the Wings get a much nicer return than if they were looking to trade him as a pending UFA)

should be interesting to see how it all shakes out in any case

Yeah, the structure is interesting to be sure. I know IF the arbitrator ruled the Wings would not be able to trade Tatar. I am pretty sure they can trade him now that they signed a deal before the arbitrator ruled. I can only imagine Tatar dictated term - I'd be shocked if Holland didn't offer a 7 year deal to bring down the AAV, that's a Holland trademark.

I'm totally fine with trading Tatar, he has way more value under contract for three more seasons at a reasonable AAV than if he was a rental. I find it hard to believe Holland would trade a good roster player who isn't hitting UFA - Ott and Vanek don't count for obvious reasons. My guess is Holland wants Tatar this season to try to keep the playoff streak alive and then Tatar can be traded if/when necessary prior to his NTC/NMC kicking in. That would make sense for all sides based on the contract structure.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Yeah, the structure is interesting to be sure. I know IF the arbitrator ruled the Wings would not be able to trade Tatar. I am pretty sure they can trade him now that they signed a deal before the arbitrator ruled. I can only imagine Tatar dictated term - I'd be shocked if Holland didn't offer a 7 year deal to bring down the AAV, that's a Holland trademark.

I'm totally fine with trading Tatar, he has way more value under contract for three more seasons at a reasonable AAV than if he was a rental. I find it hard to believe Holland would trade a good roster player who isn't hitting UFA - Ott and Vanek don't count for obvious reasons. My guess is Holland wants Tatar this season to try to keep the playoff streak alive and then Tatar can be traded if/when necessary prior to his NTC/NMC kicking in. That would make sense for all sides based on the contract structure.

What playoff streak?

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
The Red Wings should have traded Tatar and Nyquist 3-4 years ago when they still had value. But, had to keep that playoff streak alive. Having a generational Talent like McDavid out there when you know you are going to rebuild sooner than later, the organization should have had the foresight to do what was best for the future of the franchise. Not a playoff streak that dwindled into quick first round exits.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I wonder if they made some sort of last minute agreement with him to look for a trade or something

the no trade being open this year would fit that and it WOULD be kinda win-win(he gets term instead of having to settle for a 1 year deal and the Wings get a much nicer return than if they were looking to trade him as a pending UFA)

should be interesting to see how it all shakes out in any case

I think Bench pointed out that most of the people who go to arbitration and strike a deal before the ruling end up being traded anyways. Maybe not the biggest sample size, but it makes sense, Custance has said the process is pretty intense and can sever relationships.

So the way that NTC is structured isn't surprising. I'd like to know how they left things... maybe it was "I'll trade you if you play good enough to get me a 1st", otherwise you're sticking around"

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Haha what a slip up. I should have said to make the playoffs this year. That's Holland's big goal.

Holland trying to get this roster into the playoffs

Neverending-Story1.gif

Spoiler - the horse dies.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
While it feels like a lot of cap hit, I guess Tatar is a pretty reliable scorer compared to others on the team, so Holland had to resign him anyway. OK deal.

Last edited:

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Based on what?

I can understand not having a ton of confidence in Mrazek, but Coreau didn't exactly set the world on fire in his 14 games in the NHL.

I have more confidence in Mrazek than I ever had in Howie.
Coreue can probably be a reliable backup in the NHL.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Yup he was playing with a bum shoulder for the past two season, Turned out to be a torn rotator cuff yet he still had a 45 point and 46 point seasons playing with an ailing shoulder that's not too shabby.

Ow, really? I had no idea either. You're right that isn't too bad especially with that type of injury. If the surgery worked as well as Tatar has been saying maybe we'll see him step it up

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Ow, really? I had no idea either. You're right that isn't too bad especially with that type of injury. If the surgery worked as well as Tatar has been saying maybe we'll see him step it up

he was playing through a lot of pain.
You could tell he couldn't shoot right either

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm talking about Facebook and pretty much most sites that have wing news on it

I think it feels like more of the same. Wings are icing basically the same team as last year and asking fans to buy into the excitement of maybe, possibly making the playoffs.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I was hoping they would trade him, rather than lock him up to 4 or more years. The contract isn't bad, but as I have posted a number of times already, he was invisible, for most of the first 60 games, and had a hot streak, in the final 20 games or so, to get to 25 goals.

I like him and all, but the past two seasons, he has floated around out there, and been very low impact, on a team, full of low impact players. 25 goals is great and all, but he isn't physical, not great at defense really, and doesn't stand up for teammates, so 5.3 is a lot for 20-25 goals, and many invisible nights.

Off topic, but people are discussing Coreau, and hoping he isn't put on waivers. First he would not be claimed, he is really not very good at all. He is slow, has a terrible glove and not great rebound control. When he was up with the Wings last year, even the simple task of covering up loose pucks, he was so slow at it. Frankly, I think the only reason he can kind of play goal at all, is because he is huge. To me, he seems like one of the least talented goalies I have seen in a while. He is like an extremely poor Ben Bishop. I honestly feel he is AHL starter and below, and don't even expect that he will be anything special as a backup at the NHL level.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
I was hoping they would trade him, rather than lock him up to 4 or more years. The contract isn't bad, but as I have posted a number of times already, he was invisible, for most of the first 60 games, and had a hot streak, in the final 20 games or so, to get to 25 goals.

I like him and all, but the past two seasons, he has floated around out there, and been very low impact, on a team, full of low impact players. 25 goals is great and all, but he isn't physical, not great at defense really, and doesn't stand up for teammates, so 5.3 is a lot for 20-25 goals, and many invisible nights.

Off topic, but people are discussing Coreau, and hoping he isn't put on waivers. First he would not be claimed, he is really not very good at all. He is slow, has a terrible glove and not great rebound control. When he was up with the Wings last year, even the simple task of covering up loose pucks, he was so slow at it. Frankly, I think the only reason he can kind of play goal at all, is because he is huge. To me, he seems like one of the least talented goalies I have seen in a while. He is like an extremely poor Ben Bishop. I honestly feel he is AHL starter and below, and don't even expect that he will be anything special as a backup at the NHL level.

This is a very good analysis of Coreau in my opinion. Watching him live is shocking to see how, despite how big he is, or maybe as a result of it, he can't move from post to post.

Oct 18, 2006
Well I for one am happy with this signing. I like Tatar, and I don't dislike the contract.

Welcome back Tats, not that you went anywhere. :)

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

I wouldn't worry about the prospect of trading him. Assuming he doesn't completely bomb out, he's more tradeable with a mid-term, sub-30 contract than he is with a 1 year contract and public demands for $6M p/a in hand.

I'm a Tatar fan but I'm also a Tatar critic. He is one dimensional. He is small. But he is fast and fun and a sniper if you're soft on that term. He has a ton of value as a finishing piece and no one can deny him his goal scoring. I think he'd be aptly paid $500k cheaper but you don't see too many GMs quibbling over a $500k variance for a 20-something player - that offset can typically be solved by an overpaid should-be AHLer.

As for Coreau, keep it coming. The bizarre rhetoric that Coreau is anything more than a modest backup is out to lunch. I understand the damage control surrounding the goaltending situation in Detroit post-expansion draft, but no one worth his or her salt should be praising Coreau anymore than they they should've been talking up Joey Mac during his Wings youth. And for the record, I'd take JMac over Coreau any day.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'm thankful to read at HF as it helps orient my perspective. With how many fans really enjoy Tatar I have to go with the flow. I respect why most find the deal more than acceptable. It reminds me that yes he's one of the better players on the team and may be he outperforms his cap hit. It's been fun watching his career develop and hope Tommy Tats has a great season.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
As for Coreau, keep it coming. The bizarre rhetoric that Coreau is anything more than a modest backup is out to lunch. I understand the damage control surrounding the goaltending situation in Detroit post-expansion draft, but no one worth his or her salt should be praising Coreau anymore than they they should've been talking up Joey Mac during his Wings youth. And for the record, I'd take JMac over Coreau any day.

reminds me of Gustavsson a little actually

there was a time a mere few years ago when quite a few people around here were getting tunnel vision on his win/loss record and saying they liked him more than our other Goalies

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad