Confirmed with Link: Tatar Re-Signs (4 years, $5.3 million)

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Tatar doesn't help us tank. But unlike many of the other contracts Holland has signed, Tatar is actually a good player with good term and a fair price. He's eminently tradable unless he just craters somehow which is extremely unlikely given how consistently he's produced throughout his career.

If Holland doesn't trade him, that's one thing. But this contract itself is fine.

Yep, I think it's an ultimately a good contract to trade if he keeps up his numbers

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'd have taken the 1 year arbitration 'deal' and then moved him at some point before the TDL. Maybe Tatar has more value on a long term deal (though I find it hard to believe that this deal is really good enough for that to be true), but that was even more incentive to move him last year (I know, it's in the past and isn't really relevant anymore).

Yeah, I do agree he'd have more value as an impending RFA. However what's done is done and I think you are getting it twisted as to what his value is since he was not traded last year. A 25 goal scorer signed for 4 years at $5.3 is highly movable. He should return at least a 1st round pick or a really good prospect, much more than he'd get if a team was acquiring him at the TDL and he was basically a rental.

I am perfectly fine with trading him so the current contract works out quite well in that regard. My guess is he'll play out the string this year and if/when we are out of playoff contention he will be traded before his NTC/NMC kicks in. I'd like to move him sooner rather than later because I don't think this team is good and I'd like to position the team to have the best shot at picking near the very top of the draft. In order for that to happen you would need to trade Green and Tatar as soon as possible. The problem is their value will likely be much higher near the trade deadline.

I'm done with Ken Holland as GM however I can't complain about this deal. The term and AAV are both very reasonable. We just need to trade him before the NTC/NMC kicks in as we have no idea what his value will look like in the final year of the deal.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I would fire Holland, rehire him and fire him again if I could, that's how much I detest his management right now.

That being said, this is about the best contract he has negotiated in recent memory. No real fault.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
I would fire Holland, rehire him and fire him again if I could, that's how much I detest his management right now.

That being said, this is about the best contract he has negotiated in recent memory. No real fault.

Good deal, except for yet another No Trade Clause?
# 10 on the team?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
How much space are we left with to sign AA?

932k with 13+8+2 roster = 23-man roster.

1.557M with Sproul (625k) waived (or injured, there is a case going on with his knee). Then 13+7+2 = 22-man roster.

1.682M with Witkowski (750k) waived, 12+8+2 = 22-man roster

1.857M some other contract waived (925k help) = 22-man roster

2.307M both Sproul and Witkowski waived = 21-man roster.

These will include already:

- Franzen on LTIR.

- Coreau (612.5k) waived
- Frk (650k) waived
- Bertuzzi (662k) sent on minors (waiver-exempt)

Imo, that Witkowski waiver number is the key number. Anything under that 1.682M gives quite an easy solution.

If Athanasiou signs with that 1.68M, then we should make ~1.5M more capspace to ice a full 14+7+2 roster.

Trading Sheahan caphit for futures, would do the exact difference by 15k. You trade Sheahan, and you can promote all Bertuzzi/Witkowski/Frk as 12-13-14 forwards etc.

Last edited:

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I'm struggling to understand how you are coming to this conclusion.

Because if he remotely contributes to us winning a hockey game, he puts us further away from getting a top 3 pick.

Or... he plays terrible and we're wasting 5.3M in cap space on him.

Those are the two ideas I think njx is driving at.

Basically, this. I don't think there's any team benefit to having 'good' players. This is not a team that's a Tatar away from playoff contention, let alone actually winning a series. This is a team that needs 'great' players, and until it has them, all the Tatars and Nyquists in the world don't mean squat.

And frankly, if the team is going to be bottom 5ish bad, Tatar's play no longer represents a 'bright spot' worth watching. He's not additive on a pure enjoyment level basis (whereas AA/Larkin/Mantha or even Z, for instance, can be).

In a perfect world, sure, resign the good players and trade them to teams that *are* a Tatar away from the Cup. I'd fully support that idea if I thought it was something Red Wings leadership was interested in doing.

Yeah, I do agree he'd have more value as an impending RFA. However what's done is done and I think you are getting it twisted as to what his value is since he was not traded last year. A 25 goal scorer signed for 4 years at $5.3 is highly movable. He should return at least a 1st round pick or a really good prospect, much more than he'd get if a team was acquiring him at the TDL and he was basically a rental.

And given this...

And the whole thing with Tatar and Daley's contracts is that they are written to be amenable to trades. Whether or not they will follow through on trades is irrelevant. The contracts themselves are written in a way that is helpful if you did want to move them.

... and this, maybe I'm wrong and the team is actually thinking about what it would take to move some of these guys. I hope I am. I can't really dispute that I'm so down on these last two signings, I'm probably blind to the movability of the contract.

I'm done with Ken Holland as GM however I can't complain about this deal. The term and AAV are both very reasonable. We just need to trade him before the NTC/NMC kicks in as we have no idea what his value will look like in the final year of the deal.

Sure - if he actually gets traded I'll eat all the crow and admit that Holland's got it going on. It just seems really hard to believe, to me, that the team is thinking in that direction.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Good deal, except for yet another No Trade Clause?
# 10 on the team?

NTC are waived often. And especially for a good young player who probably wants to sniff the chance at a cup as opposed to an older veteran who's won before, I think it's not a huge deal.
Imo, that Witkowski waiver number is the key number. Anything under that 1.682M gives quite an easy solution.

If Athanasiou signs with that 1.68M, then we should make ~1.5M more capspace to ice a full 14+7+2 roster.

Trading Sheahan caphit for futures, would do the exact difference by 15k. You trade Sheahan, and you can promote all Bertuzzi/Witkowski/Frk as 12-13-14 forwards etc.

I really don't see why we even signed Witkowski. He's at best, a warm body. And we're gonna have to do some waiving to make the numbers work. Seems like a pointless move especially if he's gonna play F like some beat writers said and we have guys like Bertuzzi who could easily fill that role. I wouldn't mind seeing Svech or Frk either.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
932k with 13+8+2 roster = 23-man roster.

1.557M with Sproul (625k) waived (or injured, there is a case going on with his knee). Then 13+7+2 = 22-man roster.

1.682M with Witkowski (750k) waived, 12+8+2 = 22-man roster

1.857M some other contract waived (925k help) = 22-man roster

2.307M both Sproul and Witkowski waived = 21-man roster.

These will include already:

- Franzen on LTIR.

- Coreau (612.5k) waived
- Frk (650k) waived
- Bertuzzi (662k) sent on minors (waiver-exempt)

Someone has to be waived before the season starts. We have a bit of a logjam at defense, so it's likely Sproul.
I am all for trading Sheahan too. The guy sucks.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
NTC are waived often. And especially for a good young player who probably wants to sniff the chance at a cup as opposed to an older veteran who's won before, I think it's not a huge deal.

I really don't see why we even signed Witkowski. He's at best, a warm body. And we're gonna have to do some waiving to make the numbers work. Seems like a pointless move especially if he's gonna play F like some beat writers said and we have guys like Bertuzzi who could easily fill that role. I wouldn't mind seeing Svech or Frk either.

Waive Witkowski and send him to GR where he belongs. And if he gets claimed that's fine too.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I mean... we're clearly a worse team without him. The only reason this contract makes sense is because it's actually a decent contract for a good player which I hope we trade at some point.

I agree, but I think he was worth more this year before his contract.

If he doesn't "perform", then he will be labeled a cap dump.

Problem is, Tatar will perform best with a play making center, and Detroit doesn't even have one in the pipeline.

So... I expect his value to go down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad