Player Discussion Tanner Pearson

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
People say this a lot, but how often does it happen?
In all my years of being a hockey fan, I can only remember Keith Tkachuk going back with the Blues after getting traded to the Thrashers at the deadline. That's off my head though, there might have been one or two more. It's definitely very rare.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
People say this a lot, but how often does it happen?
It rarely happens that a team trade a player and the team wants him back the year after or that the players wants to return to there.

Most recent example is Plekanek: traded at the deadline to the Leafs as a UFA, signed a new contract with the Habs on the off-season...and he retired a few games after the season started because of back problems.

Reactions: DAChampion

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
In all my years of being a hockey fan, I can only remember Keith Tkachuk going back with the Blues after getting traded to the Thrashers at the deadline. That's off my head though, there might have been one or two more. It's definitely very rare.
Our very own Tomas Plekanec as well, but he was pretty well finished by that point.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
In before the inevitable moment where half our fan base will argue we should keep him at the deadline and extend him.
Would that be such a bad thing? He seems like he fits in well with the team, he's producing without taking prime ice time away from a young guy, he's got cup winning experience which is always a plus, and simply looks like a good vet. Now obviously he'll need to stay relatively healthy, continue to be relatively productive, and I also want to see his leadership during our inevitable losing streaks. So yeah it's way too early to make a decision on re-signing him, but no reason to not keep an open mind at this point in time.

The main against re-signing him would probably be about roster spots as we expect guys like Heineman/Roy to be pushing for roster spots next year. But Hughes is almost certainly looking at ways of clearing some of our dead-ish cap so we'll have to see how successful he is in that regard. For example buying out Gallagher and then re-signing Pearson with the money saved doesn't cost us a roster spot and is a net improvement on the ice.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I'd definitely trade a top 10 pick for him (let's will this into existence like we did for Chiarot)
I immediately think of Chiarot when it comes to Pearson lol
Some teams get STUPID desperate and offer 1sts for guys like Ben chiarot and David Savard

A 1st for Pearson most likely won't happen, but even a 2nd or 3rd is a huge win

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I immediately think of Chiarot when it comes to Pearson lol
Some teams get STUPID desperate and offer 1sts for guys like Ben chiarot and David Savard

A 1st for Pearson most likely won't happen, but even a 2nd or 3rd is a huge win
It's all about if a contender needs certain elements at the TDL and Pearson seems to be the best player available that has those elements. Or better if there appears to be a few teams that want what he brings to the table, teams know they'll have to outbid the rest. We'll see where things stand at the TDL. But if his production is good, and what he brings is "in", you never know.

Reactions: Redux91

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Lol, Souray's shot seemed to get harder after all his wrist surgeries!

Pearson scored 24 once. Man does he ever have a good release. He doesn't just score, he burries pucks with authority. I hope we can continue to find a line for him that will get him open looks in the slot or off the rush.

It's a puzzle to find the chemistry in lines for Pearson, Anderson, Slaf, Newhook, Ylonen, Monahan, RHP, etc...
He only did that once, he's usually around 15 GB oal mark. Hope the surgery made his shot better. Might get good asset for him at deadline.

Might be tough decision at deadline. If this team is in playoff position do you make those trades? Stay with plan?

JurequeparJuraj

Feb 20, 2013
by the sea
He should play with Suzuki and Caufield.

He played like 30 seconds with Nick and they made like 4 pass to each other in the neutral zone they were really finding themselves.

Reactions: Vachon23

JT3

May 27, 2013
There's a case to be made for Moneyhands, not for Pearson
Really depends what we could get for Monahan even. If we can get a 1st round pick, I strongly consider moving him. Anything less and I would lean more towards re-signing (ideally in the 3-4 year range and not more).

Reactions: windycity

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He should play with Suzuki and Caufield.

He played like 30 seconds with Nick and they made like 4 pass to each other in the neutral zone they were really finding themselves.
I believe I said after the game he did play with them during the preseason that I could see it being a thing fairly quickly in the season. Style wise and size wise he's a good fit for the two young guys and they'll probably want to leave Monahan as a center, so he won't be an option. It's not ideal but guys like Anderson and RHP just aren't cutting it right now.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I believe I said after the game he did play with them during the preseason that I could see it being a thing fairly quickly in the season. Style wise and size wise he's a good fit for the two young guys and they'll probably want to leave Monahan as a center, so he won't be an option. It's not ideal but guys like Anderson and RHP just aren't cutting it right now.

Caufield Suzuki Pearson
RHP/Ylonen Monahan Slaf
Ylonen/RHP Newhook Anderson
(that's a lot of speed with Ylonen on that line)
Pez Evan's Gallagher

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I know stats are there, but I don't watch games so far, because of work and school. He play good hockey if we don't calculate his stats?

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I know stats are there, but I don't watch games so far, because of work and school. He play good hockey if we don't calculate his stats?
He was rusty in the first two games and he's not that fast of a skater, but he's been a solid vet so far. He's an upgrade over Hoffman, Drouin and Dadonov from last season. He seems to have found chemistry with Gallagher as well and having fun.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Monahan is a candidate to re-sign. But I can't see a significant movement developing to re-sign Pearson. I think a near consensus will want the picks.
Yup he's going to be solid for us but he isn't going to match Monahan in impact and he'll be of interest to teams because I think he'll be valued at a 2nd and not a 1st (id love to be wrong)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Xhekaj has to take a number and then fight him without taking an instigator.

Anyways, the refs should have just called a 4 min. boarding and a 2 mon. Instigator.

But if you're going to allow fighting, why give instigators for defending yourself after getting hit from behind?

Suzuki and Caufield need a spark.

I'd try Slafkovsky

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Xhekaj has to take a number and then fight him without taking an instigator.

Anyways, the refs should have just called a 4 min. boarding and a 2 mon. Instigator.

But if you're going to allow fighting, why give instigators for defending yourself after getting hit from behind?

Suzuki and Caufield need a spark.

I'd try Slafkovsky
Marc Denis said that the NHL didn't want fighting after a big hit/boarding anymore. In other words, not more fighting to protect yourself, just fighting for the show.

But with the quality of the reffing so far this season, fighting will just go up.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Marc Denis said that the NHL didn't want fighting after a big hit/boarding anymore. In other words, not more fighting to protect yourself, just fighting for the show.

But with the quality of the reffing so far this season, fighting will just go up.

I know they didn't want it after a clean hit. I hadn't heard they didn't want it after illegal plays that can injure a player.

I like Barron tonight.

But that wasn't a smart play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad