Player Discussion Tanner Pearson

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I wonder if Pearson is one of those forward that the league is rapidly leaving in its dust? The game is a track meet now. Speed, skill and open-ice creativity are what the game is all about. Pearson's numbers have fallen off a cliff this year both in L.A. and Pittsburgh.

Hope I'm wrong. But it takes a certain type of player to grind it out in the Kings suffocating system of 'heavy hockey'. But that's yesterday's game.

Reactions: EP40

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'm confused. The stats above add up to about 32% of his ES ice time. How does that suggest he's been with Carter or Malkin all season (and who has he been playing with to make up the other 68%)? Or am I missing something obvious (wouldn't be the first time)?

Because that’s who the majority of his icetime has been with at ES. Then there are different combos like Pearson with Malkin and someone else and then Pearson with Kessel and someone etc. And he’s played on two teams.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I'm confused. The stats above add up to about 32% of his ES ice time. How does that suggest he's been with Carter or Malkin all season (and who has he been playing with to make up the other 68%)? Or am I missing something obvious (wouldn't be the first time)?

I'm not if these were playing centre at the time with Pearson but here are a list of centres he played with

5v5

218 min Malkin
183 min Brassard
85 min Kempe
60 min Carter
59 min Sheahan

49m Cullen
41m Lewis
41m Bjugstad

and a few random minor minutes

natural stat trick

Last edited:
Reactions: lindgren

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Please list all 26 year olds that turned their careers around. Goalies aren’t included as they are different creatures.

Chris Higgins would be a great example, similar player. He had a terrible 09-10 but bounced back nicely.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Because that’s who the majority of his icetime has been with at ES. Then there are different combos like Pearson with Malkin and someone else and then Pearson with Kessel and someone etc. And he’s played on two teams.

I don't think the stats bear that out.

It looks like he's played with many centres (see me2's post above). He's played with Malkin more than any other centre, but in total his time with Malkin and Carter amounts to a bit more than a third of his total ES ice-time. That's not a majority of his ice time at ES, and it certainly doesn't seem that he's been "flanking Carter or Malkin all season long."

But, maybe my math is off?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Higgins is actually a pretty good comp for Pearson.

I liked this player and at one point the 70s line was a force to be reckoned with. The Kings were a low scoring tight defensive heavy team and Pearson was really good.

This is very much the type of player who would be primed for a bounce back, but i'm not gonna pretend to say i have noticed him much this year.

Dont get the overpaid comments....maybe in Pittsburgh? 3.75 for a 40pt forward at 25/26 is on par.

some numbers for ya:

YR-----Pts--PPG--ESPts--ATOI--S%--EGF/60--CF%--HT--TK--GV
15/16---36---.45----34----14;28--10.9---2.7-----57.3--104--27--18
16/17---44---.55----34----16;19--12.8---2.9-----56.8--124--25--20
17/18---40---.49----35----15;58---8.3---3.5-----51.9--116--25--39
18/19---14---.31-----12-----13;13--11.1---2.0-----47.2---82--12--10

Not a great PP player....can snipe and scores at a good top6 player p/60 rate at even strength. Doesn't mind being hard on the body and is usually good at creating turnovers.

Think if he can rebound he should be our 4th or 5th best forward and will be a shrewd move

Last edited:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I heard something on the radio today about Pearson playing through a groin injury and a thumb injury this season. Can anyone confirm? If true, it would be an obvious explanation for his drop-off.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Yeah, it’s crazy cause Pearson used to be on that insanely strong Kings line with Carter and Toffoli. I think I probably view him more favourably than I should because of that. That line destroyed us a few times.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I heard something on the radio today about Pearson playing through a groin injury and a thumb injury this season. Can anyone confirm? If true, it would be an obvious explanation for his drop-off.

I'm apparently talking to myself, but I found confirmation regarding the thumb injury:

"Pearson’s season was further complicated by a fractured thumb, which the winger played through during a month-long series of painkiller injections."​

Canucks' Pearson looking to make most of another fresh start - Sportsnet.ca

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
Always exciting that first real game after the trade deadline when we get to see the fresh meat in action. He's getting good line mates, Green will try the water boy with Pettersson soon enough

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
Maybe he works out, and emerges as a top 9 winger that can be moved up and down the lineup. If not, he can always be buried (like Sam Gagner) if we ever needed the cap. I'm not too worried.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
i read this too on the main boards from a Pens fan.

Makes some sense as i always thought he had some decent straight line speed even though he had a choppy stride.

Just my feeling but i think that Kings team needed to purge out some of the group that won the cup. Players can get really comfy/lazy especially when they've climbed the mountain and the core is getting old. Could be he's lost a step due to the wear and tear of the game but at 26 he should have some good miles left.

We'll find out soon enough

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Please list all 26 year olds that turned their careers around. Goalies aren’t included as they are different creatures.
It would be more relevant to list players who had one bad season at 26 with reports of playing hurt swirling around, then improved afterward. I think there's quite a few. I'm not certain he will, of course, and no one else is either.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Pearson's highlights look promising, but you could probably say the same about Gudbranson's. There are likely good reason Pittsburgh was willing to trade it's disappointing player for the canucks equivalent.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Would it be fair to say that Pearson is a good Baertschi replacement?
Both 26 year old left wingers that have hovered around 40-45 points (Bae being on pace for it but was injured).

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
A) Chris Higgins could skate. You're seeing why it took this player until his 3rd year of eligibility to get drafted. He's slow and not agile.
B) Comparison to Bertuzzi is batshit.
C) Pitt dumped him, it's a salary dump. He had 5 sub 8minute games in his last 7 appearances as a Penguin

Now he's going to get golden treatment that way every new acquisition seems to, at least Pearson has a better history than the other dregs that got these opportunities.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
A) Chris Higgins could skate. You're seeing why it took this player until his 3rd year of eligibility to get drafted. He's slow and not agile.
B) Comparison to Bertuzzi is bat****.
C) Pitt dumped him, it's a salary dump. He had 5 sub 8minute games in his last 7 appearances as a Penguin

Now he's going to get golden treatment that way every new acquisition seems to, at least Pearson has a better history than the other dregs that got these opportunities.
He was acquired for a player that had no value and a higher salary. I'm not sure why you think the fact that Pearson may not be very good is relevant to anything.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00