Player Discussion Tanner Pearson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Adequate, slow-ish middle-6 forward making double what he should be.

Hopefully, his decline in recent years has had more to do with him not playing with skilled centers as opposed to his skating deficiencies in the new NHL.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hopefully, his decline in recent years has had more to do with him not playing with skilled centers as opposed to his skating deficiencies in the new NHL.
He was a half a point per game guy in the last 3 seasons with LA. 36 Pts in 79 games, 44 in 80 games, and 40 in 82 games. This year he's completely fallen off with 15 Pts in 61 games.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I dunno what happened in LA this year but he’s back to scoring at a 15-goal pace with Pittsburgh.

Fairly similar player to Leivo only at nearly $4 million.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Excited to acquire Pearson. He looked like Patrick Marleau the year the Kings won the cup. He's not known as a physical player, but he definitely has the size for that and he did play that role with LA. I would like to stick him with Horvat and Leivo, 3 Ontario kids with good size that can attack the net and play a solid two-way game.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
He was a half a point per game guy in the last 3 seasons with LA. 36 Pts in 79 games, 44 in 80 games, and 40 in 82 games. This year he's completely fallen off with 15 Pts in 61 games.

Good to know.

Atleast if he was producing reasonably well in the 3 seasons prior, then his average skating likely isn’t the issue for his decline.

If I had to guess, I would guess that his lack of compatible centers really hurt him. Not playing with Carter this year (Carter injury) likely had a huge negative impact on him.

IF Pearson wasn’t playing with adequate centers in Pittsburgh (ie I heard that he only got two games in total with Malkin? None with Crosby?), then I’m confident that he’ll be able to rebuild his game here.

Pettersson, Horvat, and Gaudette should be good options for Pearson. Just don’t play Pearson with Sutter or Beagle.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I dunno what happened in LA this year but he’s back to scoring at a 15-goal pace with Pittsburgh.

Fairly similar player to Leivo only at nearly $4 million.

I think the injury to Carter really sunk Pearson.

Pearson seems to be quite dependent on his centers. Like you mentioned, Pearson isn’t the greatest skater, but he can still clearly produce in the “new” NHL despite this limitation (atleast from the evidence that I’m gathering).

That’s a good thing if that’s the case. Pearson has a shot of being a 20 goal guy again. With EP, Horvat, and Gaudette here, Pearson will get his Center. :cool:

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014

Yep... I know nothing about this player other than what I read in the stat line, but people need to stop with the "he hasn't been the same player since he broke his leg".... that was four years ago and he's put up 3 solid seasons since. He was traded to Pittsburgh this year and for whatever reason it didn't work out. If he reverts to .5ish ppg here, this trade is a massive win. People talking about wanting a 6th round pick instead should probably give their heads a shake... a sixth round pick putting up .5 ppg is a home run.

That said, it wouldn't be the first time that one of LA's darlings from their Cup years doesn't look so good on a team that emphasizes skating more... Muzzin has not exactly lit the world on fire in Toronto and is on the third pairing.... you have to wonder if they went after the right player.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
well duh, it's not a coincidence that his production fell off as soon as Jeff Carter declined

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Get rid of Gudbranson while acquiring a project player with much lower salary cap. I dislike Benning, but credit has to be given when earned. This is a great trade.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

Gagner is/was a half a point per game guy. Just sayin'...
Seriously though this trade seems like the best of a bad lot so I am hopeful that he can contribute here...

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yep... I know nothing about this player other than what I read in the stat line, but people need to stop with the "he hasn't been the same player since he broke his leg".... that was four years ago and he's put up 3 solid seasons since. He was traded to Pittsburgh this year and for whatever reason it didn't work out. If he reverts to .5ish ppg here, this trade is a massive win. People talking about wanting a 6th round pick instead should probably give their heads a shake... a sixth round pick putting up .5 ppg is a home run.

The fact that it didn't work out in Pittsburgh is a sign of caution, considering after Guentzel they don't really have a clear cut #2 LW to play with Malkin.

I'm still reasonably optimistic about him but I think realistically he's just another Sven Baerstchi that makes a little bit more but should hopefully be able to stay healthy. It's just this one season that he's fallen out of the 0.50 ppg pace.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The fact that it didn't work out in Pittsburgh is a sign of caution, considering after Guentzel they don't really have a clear cut #2 LW to play with Malkin.

I'm still reasonably optimistic about him but I think realistically he's just another Sven Baerstchi that makes a little bit more but should hopefully be able to stay healthy. It's just this one season that he's fallen out of the 0.50 ppg pace.

He's one more tweener, play him with good players and he can get some points, play him bad and he doesn't create much. Granlund did the same. It will be interesting to see where he fits, if they can't get him into the top 6 he's going to struggle to justify that contract, but if he can get top 6 time and find some chemisty we might break even on his contract - 35 ES points type season.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The numbers suggest that Pearson has been in decline, whether it was because of injuries, decline in confidence, or decline in abilities. The question is whether he can bounce back.

Pearson is a solid NHL player who has a history of putting up decent strength and possession numbers. He's a solid add if he can buck the trend a bit.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Good to know.

Atleast if he was producing reasonably well in the 3 seasons prior, then his average skating likely isn’t the issue for his decline.

If I had to guess, I would guess that his lack of compatible centers really hurt him. Not playing with Carter this year (Carter injury) likely had a huge negative impact on him.

IF Pearson wasn’t playing with adequate centers in Pittsburgh (ie I heard that he only got two games in total with Malkin? None with Crosby?), then I’m confident that he’ll be able to rebuild his game here.

Pettersson, Horvat, and Gaudette should be good options for Pearson. Just don’t play Pearson with Sutter or Beagle.

Pearson played 13.29% of his ES icetime wirh Kessel and Malkin.
12.94% with Brassard and Kessel.
6.06% with Carter and Toffoli.

He’s pretty much been flanking a Carter or Malkin all season long. Carter is having a terrible year though.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

He’s pretty much been flanking a Carter or Malkin all season long. Carter is having a terrible year though.

I'm confused. The stats above add up to about 32% of his ES ice time. How does that suggest he's been with Carter or Malkin all season (and who has he been playing with to make up the other 68%)? Or am I missing something obvious (wouldn't be the first time)?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

Any idea as to why he didn’t mesh with Malkin and Kessel?

Laterade

Feb 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Please list all 26 year olds that turned their careers around. Goalies aren’t included as they are different creatures.

Such a bad faith argument. We all know that anyone in their 20's can turn their game around. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Look no further than Ben Hutton. Last year we thought he would be out of the league. This year he is a totally different player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad