Player Discussion Tanner Pearson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hoglander will (if he hasn't already) overtake Pearson pretty quickly.
He has already for me. Pearson is more responsible/safe though, rarely makes glaring mistakes and Hogs is a creative young guy so he’ll naturally have some turnovers.

Reactions: Josepho

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I imagine it's an easier sell to ownership to be sellers at the deadline this year as they don't have to worry about butts in seats.

Although it's impossible to figure out what this management and ownership team is thinking/planning.

Pearson isn't anything special but we have nothing on the wings after Miller, Boeser and Hog (imagine if Hog didn't break out this year - yikes). Wonder if they think Pod can just step into a 2nd line role next year.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Pearson isn't anything special but we have nothing on the wings after Miller, Boeser and Hog (imagine if Hog didn't break out this year - yikes). Wonder if they think Pod can just step into a 2nd line role next year.

Despite Seattle clearing a lot of cap, this offseason will be like last offseason, with a lot of free agents and not a lot of cap space/willingness to spend, so there should be some decent options to find at least a tweener or two to come in and compete for spots on the second and third line.

Pearson is a player who will have value at the deadline, and the Canucks are looking like they will be well outside the playoff picture. Hopefully Pearson is moved out.

I think Sutter is another player who the team may be able to move at the deadline, but the team runs into the issue of lacking credible options at center (particularly if Gaudette is also moved).

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I imagine it's an easier sell to ownership to be sellers at the deadline this year as they don't have to worry about butts in seats.

Although it's impossible to figure out what this management and ownership team is thinking/planning.

Benning always assumes that prospects will pan out so yes. Now if a new GM is hired, we’ll have to wait and see what he thinks.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Despite Seattle clearing a lot of cap, this offseason will be like last offseason, with a lot of free agents and not a lot of cap space/willingness to spend, so there should be some decent options to find at least a tweener or two to come in and compete for spots on the second and third line.

Pearson is a player who will have value at the deadline, and the Canucks are looking like they will be well outside the playoff picture. Hopefully Pearson is moved out.

I think Sutter is another player who the team may be able to move at the deadline, but the team runs into the issue of lacking credible options at center (particularly if Gaudette is also moved).

Would like to see both Sutter (if possible) and Gaudette moved and a real solution for 3C brought in.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Could we get a second for Pearson at the TDL?

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Could we get a second for Pearson at the TDL?

Who knows? Determining costs for anything this year is voodoo. Definitely possible (remember, only Canadian teams can trade to Canadian teams without a 14 day quarantine, so that provides a competitive advantage). Benning has shown that he will say yes to a good deal offered by a team dumping salary, but he's never really gotten value trading away a player (he got decent value trading Vanek, Hansen and Burrows).

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Who knows? Determining costs for anything this year is voodoo. Definitely possible (remember, only Canadian teams can trade to Canadian teams without a 14 day quarantine, so that provides a competitive advantage). Benning has shown that he will say yes to a good deal offered by a team dumping salary, but he's never really gotten value trading away a player (he got decent value trading Vanek, Hansen and Burrows).
I wonder at what point Benning (and Aquilini) accept this season is done, and it’s best to get assets for next year, and the draft?

Reactions: David71

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
The season is as good as over,
there will be a lot of teams who would love to have Pearson.
Try to get a pick/prospect and the tdl.

oh who am I kidding, benning will probably trade our 1st for another top6 winger

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
oh who am I kidding, benning will probably trade our 1st for another top6 winger
At least be fair in your criticism. He's never bought at the trade deadline when he didn't have a team in the playoffs. Canucks are currently 28th in league in points percentage.

Isn't last year the first time he's really bought at the trade deadline? For all the criticisms of how much he paid for Toffoli, it was actually a very modest price compared to other trade deadline deals last year (the valid criticism is whether the Canucks, as a bubble team, ought to have been a buyer at all).

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
At least be fair in your criticism. He's never bought at the trade deadline when he didn't have a team in the playoffs. Canucks are currently 28th in league in points percentage.

Isn't last year the first time he's really bought at the trade deadline? For all the criticisms of how much he paid for Toffoli, it was actually a very modest price compared to other trade deadline deals last year (the valid criticism is whether the Canucks, as a bubble team, ought to have been a buyer at all).
Most critiques aren’t about trading madden and 2nd round pick, it’s that he didn’t extend toffoli.
Therefore wasting the assets he traded.
Honestly I don’t even know why I bother arguing with people like you anymore.
don’t bother replying.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

If the Canucks swoon continues and the playoffs are out of reach, absolutely the Canucks should be plumbing the market for their players who are on expiring contracts.

Pearson, with this Stanley Cup experience and consistent scoring, would be a big 'add' for a playoff team looking to bolster its lineup for a long run. And if he was willing, Alex Edler could help any team as a depth defender in the playoffs. Maybe he goes somewhere for a chance to win a Cup. Even Brandon Sutter might make sense for a team looking for a penalty killer, faceoff guy and center depth. Certainly Jordie Benn might be valuable as a playoff pickup (the Habs?)

But of course when was the last time Jimbo turned any veteran players into anything at the trade deadline? You have to go back to trade of Tomas Vanek to Columbus for Tyler Motte, to find the last time he did anything.

Any competent GM would be exploring the market and trying to add picks in this draft. But every trade deadline is the same. Dim Jim is on the sidelines and potentially useful trade pieces are allowed to walk away in the offseason as UFA's for nothing.

He just 'runs out of time' I guess.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver

Problem is Benning has zero ability or sense of urgency to acquire futures once the team’s out of the playoff picture. When the team was in the basement in the 4 seasons from 2015/2016 - 2019/2020, Benning acquired a grand total of one draft pick - a 7th for Del Zotto. The only prospect/young player he acquired during this period that amounted to anything notable was Tyler Motte.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I wonder at what point Benning (and Aquilini) accept this season is done, and it’s best to get assets for next year, and the draft?

depends on the calgary series. 4 games. if they win 1 or lose all. all bets are off. they're done finished.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Problem is Benning has zero ability or sense of urgency to acquire futures once the team’s out of the playoff picture. When the team was in the basement in the 4 seasons from 2015/2016 - 2019/2020, Benning acquired a grand total of one draft pick - a 7th for Del Zotto. The only prospect/young player he acquired during this period that amounted to anything notable was Tyler Motte.

Nilsson trade got a 6th and Hansen trade included a 4th as well.

More than one pick but I get your point.

Reactions: LordBacon

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
I was originally in a wait and see mode with Pearson, but I think i've turned the corner here. Would definitely trade him at the deadline. In fact, every expiring contract should be shopped. Retain on all of them, get something back. The dearth of assets right now is going to severely limit any chance of offloading even a single bad contract beyond this season.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I sometimes fantasize....what if the Canucks had kept all the second round picks they coughed up for Vey, Sutter, Gudbranson, Baertschi and Tofoli. Would they have found another Hoglander or Demko?
Lots and lots of top D come out of round two. The swings in that round on d the better. Sure most will miss, but the more swings the better chance of hitting on one.

Reactions: deckercky

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
I sometimes fantasize....what if the Canucks had kept all the second round picks they coughed up for Vey, Sutter, Gudbranson, Baertschi and Tofoli. Would they have found another Hoglander or Demko?

And not overpaid for bottom of the roster junk and was able to weaponize that cap space to pick up assets.

And sold off assets that weren't going to be extended (e.g., Hamhuis).

Benning is such a disastrously inept fool it's comical that some think he can be defended.

Reactions: B-rock and vanuck

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The deadline plus 14 day quarantine and you’re 5-7 games from the playoffs.

We need a new GM who can be proactive. Get a 2nd early and be happy about it.

Give it another 5-10 games then start dumping guys. Edmonton could use Sutter. Winnipeg seems like a Pearson place place.

Gaudette to Nashville for picks/prospects.

Virtanen and Roussel as a package for picks or expiring salary.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
The deadline plus 14 day quarantine and you’re 5-7 games from the playoffs.

We need a new GM who can be proactive. Get a 2nd early and be happy about it.

Give it another 5-10 games then start dumping guys. Edmonton could use Sutter. Winnipeg seems like a Pearson place place.

Gaudette to Nashville for picks/prospects.

Virtanen and Roussel as a package for picks or expiring salary.

I think guys shipped from to the states only have to quarantine for a week. Same with if it’s Canadian team to Canadian team.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
He's this year's hamhuis. Benning wants to keep him but doesn't know how much cap he has to work with extending demko,petey and hughes.

Because this group can only focus on one thing at a time. Pearson will walk day 1 of free agency bc Benning hasn't gotten around to calling Demko yet after he inks Petey and Hughes

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He's this year's hamhuis. Benning wants to keep him but doesn't know how much cap he has to work with extending demko,petey and hughes.

Because this group can only focus on one thing at a time. Pearson will walk day 1 of free agency bc Benning hasn't gotten around to calling Demko yet after he inks Petey and Hughes
Pearson is the type of player, tweener in the middle six who will have to take a hit in UFA. He'd top out at $3 million from a weaker team. He has 2 cups with LA, so I would think he's going to lean more to getting the best contract, which is likely to come from a weaker team. Canucks simply can't afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad