Confirmed with Link: Tanner Pearson to the Penguins (Traded for Carl Hagelin 1 for 1)

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I've always favored the idea of having players that excel in certain areas and maybe have weaknesses that need covered via proper line combinations, too. As opposed to jack of all trades types. You get too many Spalings with the latter.

But I'd like to get a close look at Pearson, first of all. And second this coaching staff has already proven they don't know f***-all about good line combinations.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Pearson is also 26. Another thing I think Kings fans are forgetting when saying he’s a ghost.

I never paid attention to him, so I’m keeping my expectations to him being competent with the puck and hoping he skates better than Maatta.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Daley was equally bad coming in though.

I dunno, I’ve always been a huge fan of Pearson.

Fair enough. You get a much closer look at him regularly so I'll defer to your judgement on this one.

At least until he hamfists thing up, here. Haha

And Daley could have literally been a morbidly obese golden retriever. He wasn't Scuderi. That made it a brilliant trade.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Another thought.

Watching the various youtubes on Pearson, He seems to bring something to this team that really few do on this team. Part of the issue with the Pens is that they are way too much a perimeter team. They do not have enough guys who are willing to fight in the corners and in front and behind the net and pay the price. Hornqvist of course. But they need more, and this guy seems like that is a huge part of his bread and butter. He is listed as six feet tall and 200 pounds, but watching him he seems a lot bigger. The James Neal thought came to mind to me as well. No, he will not be another Neal, nor score like he did, but just the size, nice compact quick release, using his body to battle.

If he plays that way he will quickly become a fan favorite and provide something sorely needed on this team to compliment the skilled perimeter players.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Another thought.

Watching the various youtubes on Pearson, He seems to bring something to this team that really few do on this team. Part of the issue with the Pens is that they are way too much a perimeter team. They do not have enough guys who are willing to fight in the corners and in front and behind the net and pay the price. Hornqvist of course. But they need more, and this guy seems like that is a huge part of his bread and butter. He is listed as six feet tall and 200 pounds, but watching him he seems a lot bigger. The James Neal thought came to mind to me as well. No, he will not be another Neal, nor score like he did, but just the size, nice compact quick release, using his body to battle.

If he plays that way he will quickly become a fan favorite and provide something sorely needed on this team to compliment the skilled perimeter players.

I think he could easily have a Kunitz like effect on our top six.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think he could easily have a Kunitz like effect on our top six.

I don't want to get too excited about him. I was simply pointing out that he seems to bring a complimentary element that there is not an abundance of on this team.

If they could get another PMD who could QB the play out of the defensive zone and into the offensive zone they would be a very complete team IMO. Schultz coming back will help a lot.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Fair enough. You get a much closer look at him regularly so I'll defer to your judgement on this one.

At least until he hamfists thing up, here. Haha

And Daley could have literally been a morbidly obese golden retriever. He wasn't Scuderi. That made it a brilliant trade.
This I think we're all forgetting how bad Scuderi was. Worse than JJ bad. Worse than Gill bad. Worse than Hainsey bad. Worse than Mark Eaton's corpse bad.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Another thought.

Good call, I agree.

Also, one of the things bothering me this season is guys not battling on the boards like they used to. We always made up for what we lacked in that area with pure desire. Like Rust for example, he would normally charge in to any puck that wasn't 100% under control and go to war. I'm not seeing it much this year. It's more like guys are going through the motions. Get to the general area and call it good.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Pearson said the only Penguins player he’d played with in the past was defenseman Jamie Oleksiak. They were teammates for Canada in the 2012 World Junior Championships.

“The one thing that really stuck out to me was just his shot,” Oleksiak said. “He had a great shot. Had good speed. Responsible player. It’s a good addition.”

Newly acquired Penguins winger Tanner Pearson welcomes winds of change

The article also says that he is playing tonight.

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Good call, I agree.

Also, one of the things bothering me this season is guys not battling on the boards like they used to. We always made up for what we lacked in that area with pure desire. Like Rust for example, he would normally charge in to any puck that wasn't 100% under control and go to war. I'm not seeing it much this year. It's more like guys are going through the motions. Get to the general area and call it good.

That said they dial that up when the playoffs start. It was an open question, whether they were pacing themselves, answered last year.

Even with that expectation that they will up their game come April though, the Pens do not have a lot of guys who play big and who use that body to create havoc. Hornqvist comes to mind. They needed another guy like Pearson seems to be.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I think Sullivan has wanted a bigger guy in the top 6 for awhile. ZAR getting a lot of rope shows as much.

JR has mentioned size of the roster too (last season anyways). Not that Hags was weak at all.

Sully has talked about needing to win battles which we haven’t been doing as well of late. Need that to get out of the D zone and to keep it in the O zone. We can’t be in our own end too much or you see what happens.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
So who's gonna be Heir to the Hair Lord now?

Seriously though i agree with most that this is a good acquisition.

Not sure we could have gotten Pearson if it wasn't for the Kings losing their crown in the sewers this season.

I mean, take his last 3 seasons before this one and you've got a 18g 40ppg avrg. player, not too shabby!

Maybe he'll preach by example and make our team more willing to go into danger zone too?

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Thanks for the link, i liked that Bombulie cleared the following part:
9. How does the deal affect Daniel Sprong’s status? Not at all. Pearson is a top-nine left wing. The way the coaching staff sees it, Sprong is a top-nine right wing who hasn’t done enough to beat out any of the incumbent top-nine right wingers. A trade remains the most likely resolution of the Sprong situation.

Some here thought Sprong would move up with Hags going but it's not the case.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
What is more interesting is that they are basically insinuating that someone will be moved to facilitate Sprong? Interesting.
Unless Bombulie was talking about Sprong being part of said trade... ;)

He's still young enough to have interesting potential as a piece added to some deal but would GMJR wait until the TDL, risking Sprong's value to go down?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This I think we're all forgetting how bad Scuderi was. Worse than JJ bad. Worse than Gill bad. Worse than Hainsey bad. Worse than Mark Eaton's corpse bad.

Yeah. I think that contract was one big determining factor in Shero being shown the door. That and his foolish loyalty to Disco.

What is more interesting is that they are basically insinuating that someone will be moved to facilitate Sprong? Interesting.

Could be. Based on the above J-Bomb quote, you could read it as Sprong being traded as a resolution to the "Sprong situation" as well.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The one thing I haven’t seen anyone touch on is that Pearson has some pretty significant playoff experience for his age, including being a big part of winning a cup.

So they aren’t losing that much playoff experience with moving Hags out.

Pretty big positive I feel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad