Confirmed with Link: Tanner Pearson to the Penguins (Traded for Carl Hagelin 1 for 1)

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Now if Pearson just legally changes his name to Kunitz and plays with Crosby, maybe Sid will be happy again...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
c9o5gpboffy11.jpg

Great quote from JR in 2016, when talking about guys like Daley and Hagelin.

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
Decided to watch a couple of Pearson's games this season with the Kings.

Started with his last vs TOR:

-he's responsible in his own zone. good awareness
-was playing with Pearson-Lewis-Amadio and Lewis is just not all that good. He'll do alot better with Sid/G or Brass
-got around the ice vs a speedy Leafs team pretty well from what i could tell. Even beat Gardiner to a dumped in puck and raced Reilly to a loose puck on the right boards and tied him to the touch.

2nd game i decided to watch was Game 1 vs SJ:

-reunited on That 70's line Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
-just missed a saucer pass by Toffoli for a point blank chance
-again very responsible in his own zone. good touches when pucks come to his wing on the breakout
-almost beat Jones 5-hole after picking up a loose puck inside his blue and working thru the NZ + past SJ's RD for a mini break
-spun the puck back in the OZ at the top of the blue line for his only assist on the season. Puck went wide left, banked off the back board and Toffoli tucked it in top cheese
-again, he's getting around the ice just a-ok from what i can see
-took a penalty in both games so that part of Kunitz's game is in him. lol
-also drew one too
-played net front during his pp time in both games
-almost sets up a PP goal late in the 3rd
-didn't PK in either game

Over a three year period, Pearson's Penalty +/- is in the 97th percentile of NHL players. He draws significantly more penalties than he takes. Good catch.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I've had time to digest the trade. And bear with me, and remember this is just my opinion.

I don't care for the trade, because I don't see how it makes the team better. The team's biggest problem right now is depth scoring and a lack of speed. So they dump one of the fastest on the team? Pearson is no doubt a better player than what he's shown this year, but I don't expect him to make this team better.

This move reeks of a GM making a move for the sake of making a move.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I've had time to digest the trade. And bear with me, and remember this is just my opinion.

I don't care for the trade, because I don't see how it makes the team better. The team's biggest problem right now is depth scoring and a lack of speed. So they dump one of the fastest on the team? Pearson is no doubt a better player than what he's shown this year, but I don't expect him to make this team better.

You said they lack depth scoring, too. They traded a guy who can't score for a guy who should be able to score a good amount. Why is speed the only thing that matters here, when they're getting a guy who should be able to score better than Hagelin?

This deal is a flat out fleece by JR, I have no clue how anyone can say anything but that.

Reactions: zero8771 and TNT87

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Skating fast was all Hagelin had become.

At worst it's: meh for meh.

At best: it's a player who has potential upside for a player on the downside of his career.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Pearson scored almost as many goals and had almost as many points last year, a down year for him, as Hags had the last TWO years.

Pearson is in a slump but it sounds worse than it is. 30 games, including regular and post season, since his last goal. On a team that turned out to be the worst team in the league. Kopitar only has six points this season after a 93 point season last year.

Pearson slumping for about a third of a season is not ideal but people are making a lot more out of it than it is. And if he hadn't the trade would not be there.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I’m not expecting much from Pearson TBTH, but Hags hands were a huge issue.

He was gone this summer anyway, and the Pens have several guys in the A who can fly around the ice and cause havoc, play responsible hockey, PK, etc... and I can’t say they will be overly productive, but neither was Hags.

I was shocked to realize after the trade he never scored beyond ten goals in a season as a Pen. That’s just insanely bad given who he played with.

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
I don't care for the trade, because I don't see how it makes the team better. The team's biggest problem right now is depth scoring and a lack of speed.

Over the last three years, Tanner Pearson has scored more even-strength goals than 74% of the NHL in that time span.

Conversely, Carl Hagelin has scored less goals than 74% of the rest of the NHL in that same time span.

If depth scoring is what you're after, there's no complaint.

GMJR got asked about this yesterday and gave a clever hockey answer that didn't get picked up on for whatever reason. He said, and I quote, "Puck pressure creates speed." I thought that was a great quote. Pearson's first step (I wrote about this last night) is really good. On par with Hagelin, probably. The top end speed is obviously a different result, with Hagelin being far superior, but Pearson's first step enables him to press the play and outrun good players in the short term. I posted a video of him coming from a dead stop one on one with Logan Couture and he dusted him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The "Pearson hasn't scored a goal in 30 games" is a pretty loaded statement, because everyone knows he has struggled this year and it basically only says "he didn't score a goal after March 19th of last season". I don't get the comments of "Pearson sucks" that I'm seeing from people, he was perfectly fine last year and was consistent with his production. He had 11 points in the first 20 games, 10 points in the next 20 games, 9 points in the 20 games after that and 10 points in the last 22 games. He was very consistent all of last year with his production.

I'm not understanding most of the comments I'm seeing from people ****ing on Pearson, to be honest. People say he hasn't been the same since breaking his leg, his most productive season came after that. People call him inconsistent, he produced virtually the same in each 20 game block last season. Basically every hockey advanced stat guy is saying Pearson is a really good player, I just don't get it. I know people here overreact to players struggling, but you'd think that people could use some more critical thinking than judging players based on 17 games.

LA_Viking

Jun 8, 2007
NorCal
As a Kings fan, I'm not sad to see Pearson go. He was productive in points, especially in 16-17, but that really wasn't indicative of his typical play. Much of the time over the past 3 seasons (since his broken leg), he's been invisible on the ice. He's just another player that we all had high hopes for that never quite lived up to his potential. Maybe he will in Pburg.

Hags....not excited, except that after this worthless Kongs season, he's a UFA, and that Pearson salary drops off the books to make room for a rookie.

Reactions: EightyOne

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This is kinda what I feel about Pearson...I hope to be wrong but he reminds me of Sheahan...both “bigger” and maybe he scores a little more but both vanilla players...I hope I’m wrong

at least Hags stood out with a couple excellent skills even if he was a terrible finisher and maybe he shouldn’t have been playing on L2...

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Pearson being invisible probably has to do with the Kings being the most boring team in the league for 5 years strong, since his numbers don’t suggest he was doing nothing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This is kinda what I feel about Pearson...I hope to be wrong but he reminds me of Sheahan...both “bigger” and maybe he scores a little more but both vanilla players...I hope I’m wrong

at least Hags stood out with a couple excellent skills even if he was a terrible finisher and maybe he shouldn’t have been playing on L2...

He’ll surprise you if he clicks. Dude has all the skills to succeed here and runs like a motor out there.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

He historically scores more than Sheahan. Like a lot more. If you're waiting to get a guy with a better history of production than Pearson you're gonna be waiting a long time. He compares well with Brassard and Hornqvist for 5v5 production - not Sheahan.

I kinda get the vanilla comment but honestly, I don't get the hate for solid all round guys with no notable weaknesses but no X Factor wow strengths.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I’m not expecting much from Pearson TBTH, but Hags hands were a huge issue.

He was gone this summer anyway, and the Pens have several guys in the A who can fly around the ice and cause havoc, play responsible hockey, PK, etc... and I can’t say they will be overly productive, but neither was Hags.

I was shocked to realize after the trade he never scored beyond ten goals in a season as a Pen. That’s just insanely bad given who he played with.

Pearson is also 26. Another thing I think Kings fans are forgetting when saying he’s a ghost.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
He historically scores more than Sheahan. Like a lot more. If you're waiting to get a guy with a better history of production than Pearson you're gonna be waiting a long time. He compares well with Brassard and Hornqvist for 5v5 production - not Sheahan.

I kinda get the vanilla comment but honestly, I don't get the hate for solid all round guys with no notable weaknesses but no X Factor wow strengths.

It’s what we need more of and why Sheary was ultimately expendable.

Pearson makes our top six more even as it takes out a player like Hags who underachieved points wise for a similar player with a knack for shooting the puck and scoring.

If Pearson - Malkin - Hornqvist are together tonight could see Tanner having a three point night.

Reactions: Peat and Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

The Pens are idiots.

They should have traded Hags for that 30 goal scorer who gives you 70 or 80 points and is on a $3.75 million dollars per year contract. I am sure that you can think of three or four of those who could have been had with a phone call.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The Pens are idiots.

They should have traded Hags for that 30 goal scorer who gives you 70 or 80 points and is on a $3.75 million dollars per year contract. I am sure that you can think of three or four of those who could have been had with a phone call.

It’s pretty much a steal. At worst Pearson brings what Hagelin did with a small downgrade but it is contract controlled for two more years.

It is probably JR’s best move since coming over in terms of first impressions.

Reactions: zero8771

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It’s pretty much a steal. At worst Pearson brings what Hagelin did with a small downgrade but it is contract controlled for two more years.

It is probably JR’s best move since coming over in terms of first impressions.

I am not prepared to go that far before I even see him play a game. That said, I will say that BEFORE seeing how it plays out, I like the gamble JR took with this trade.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I just don’t think you win with a lot of those players and we won without them yet we keep getting more...I have no problem trading one for another...I just don’t want to end up with too much of them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad