Confirmed with Link: Tanner Pearson to the Penguins (Traded for Carl Hagelin 1 for 1)

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Ignore his best season? Why? Because it makes a position harder to defend?

Yes he's killed penalties previously.

Yes he's a much more productive player than hags for the entirety of his career.

He's also a player we have for multiple years now under contract. This trade checks every box for me. We'll see how Pearson turns out but they got a better asset than the one that left (on contract alone)

Not trying to argue here, man. Just trying to have a pleasant discussion. Our opinions differ, that's cool with me.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The only thing I worry about is that our identity has evaporated. What we had in 2016 more than anything was an identity, we were fast and we pushed the pace everywhere. That was the Penguins and we always had that advantage of surprising other teams while knowing exactly what our goals were. Now what are we? We have a good roster, thin at D maybe, but we don't have a coherent game any more. Other teams know our tricks, we're just a team that has some great, experienced players. Are we working towards a new identity or are these just video game trades where it's good value so just do it?

I worry that we've lost sight of this completely from GMJR to Sully all the way down. NJD, Toronto are faster than we are now, Tampa has a better roster if we're just going player for player, what is our thing that we do better than any other team? Our PP is up and down because Sid and Geno refuse to attack the net with the puck. We aren't great defensively and with our speed evaporating and other teams knowing what we have done in the past we can't just attack in the neutral zone like we used to. What is our identity?
I think we can still be about speed while rounding out other weaknesses. Like being too small and soft and being not good defensively and not adept at winning low scoring games.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
Not trying to argue here, man. Just trying to have a pleasant discussion. Our opinions differ, that's cool with me.
Cool. Sorry if I came off hot. I usually post here after very frustrating meetings haha. Let's go pens!

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I think we can still be about speed while rounding out other weaknesses. Like being too small and soft and being not good defensively and not adept at winning low scoring games.

I think that the bolded are affected a lot by lack of identity. Being small and soft wasn't an issue in 2016 when we knew what we were trying to do as a team. We need something beyond just speed now, because we're no longer as fast as the actual fast teams, in either plain footspeed or effort as well as how we play as a team. I think we need a new identity that we're committed to more than to address any particular roster weakness. Like our roster right now isn't fast, isn't heavy, isn't defensively oriented, isn't crazy deep like Tampa or Toronto at forward, our D corps isn't built to do anything in particular. It's just a bunch of nothing. At this point, we should just commit to trying to being maximally offensively explosive because it's the only thing we might have the horses to do.

Reactions: Andy99

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
The more these losses line up... The more I see the huge hole Tocchet left.

Its hard to play fast when everything's about chip and chase.

The defense is just a mess... Always grouped together, out of position and "soff like Ive never seen a defense like this before".

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
In hindsight this thread is already pretty funny. Come the end of the year or next season when TP is a full on 24/7 dumpster fire these early pie-in-the-sky expectation posts will be all that more hilarious...

Reactions: Finesse

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
In hindsight this thread is already pretty funny. Come the end of the year or next season when TP is a full on 24/7 dumpster fire these early pie-in-the-sky expectation posts will be all that more hilarious...

I'm not going to weigh in because I know nothing of Pearson but didn't see any "Oh new toy, that means he must be great". Most have listed arguments as to why they think X and Y.

Right or wrong.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
I haven't really followed the games recently, but this is a really good deal. As I said before the season started, Hag is valuable third liner, but he shouldn't be put on a scoring line due to his lack of finishing. Pearson is a big body and the track record shows he can be productive.
Albeit there are still a lot of remaining problems, this is a good start.

Reactions: TNT87

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Weird take.

I think most of us expect Pearson to be a 30-35 point player similar to Hags with a little more net front presence than speed.

Not really unrealistic expectations and the contract certainty greatly helps our pathetic LW depth moving forward.

He also can move down the line-up if we decide to move Rust and play a similar role.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Been lurking about lately and late to the game in general but like most people I think this is a deal any GM has to make if presented with the offer in this situation. It's fun to joke about Hags and the flow and all the speed but even without the slump / message-sending aspect of the trade I believe this makes the Pens a better team. Pearson is a better fit for all the reasons mentioned.

Also I think there's an element of "change of scenery" to this trade that is being overlooked. Neither of these guys are bad hockey players / both are good at the role they play, but both will probably benefit from a change. Moreso Pearson (we hope).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

2 goals and 3 points with the Penguins so far. Maybe he was a dumpster fire on your team because your team is a dumpster fire.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Pearson with as many points in 4 games as Hagelin has this season for us. Good start so far.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
His slap shot goal from last game made me happy.

Looks like Hags is doing okay too. Wish pearson was a biiit cheaper. But it's looking like a nice trade for everybody--so far.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Hagelin also has as many points in 4 games as Pearson had for the Kings this year, so I don't think either side is complaining about what they lost :laugh:

So it worked out about the same as our previous trade involving Hagelin . . . to both teams' benefits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad