Tank Thread and Tanking GDT XVII: The Tank Must Go On (San Jose @ Arizona)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I was around for every single one of those events and my Buffalo sports history goes back beyond that. Should we connect the Buffalo Braves leaving, the Ronnie Harmon drop, or the Ron Smith Playoff TD for the Chargers? Please stop with the Buffalo Sports History calamities having anything to do with winning or losing the McEichel chase.

You don't get it. None of the events affect the others. No one is claiming that they are connected in some super-natural way.

I'm just not taking it for granted - like you and some others are. It's not over. Talk all you want about how it's over. But you shouldn't. It's not over.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Your point of view is way off. It's not superstition. It's not fear. It's conditioning. It's history. They are related in that fans talked sh$t, only to lose in the end.

I'm not superstitious (Evangelical Christian - so I don't believe in it). I do not think that talking about getting McEichel affects anything. I do not believe in jinxes. And I'm not afraid - PM me and I'll tell you what I do.

Were you around for all these events? I was. From past experience, I've been around more multiple events where Buffalo was a sure winner, or going to win, and didn't. So I don't talk until it's over.

I was around for all these events. His point is COMPLETELY valid. Nothing any fan said had any bearing on those outcomes. Nothing any fan says will have any bearing on FUTURE outcomes either.

People gotta relax.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I was around for every single one of those events and my Buffalo sports history goes back beyond that. Should we connect the Buffalo Braves leaving, the Ronnie Harmon drop, or the Ron Smith Playoff TD for the Chargers? Please stop with the Buffalo Sports History calamities having anything to do with winning or losing the McEichel chase.

You really don't get it, do you? No one is saying they're connected. The fact is buffalo sports fans have been through all those events. They're in everyone's mind. As a result they're going to be more cautious now.

If the first time you came to NYC someone asked to borrow your cell phone, you let him, and he ran off with it that'll probably affect your perception of other people asking for assistance in NYC, even though in no way is any of it related.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
You don't get it. None of the events affect the others. No one is claiming that they are connected in some super-natural way.

I'm just not taking it for granted - like you and some others are. It's not over. Talk all you want about how it's over. But you shouldn't. It's not over.

I haven't said that it is over, but I'm sure as hell not harboring any fear or concern because of past Buffalo sports disappointments that I see so prominently expressed.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
It's not irrational fear. It's watching this happen before.

- 12-3 before the Giants drove for a late halftime TD. Right after Bruce Smith almost had a strip sack for a TD. Then Wide Right.

- 13-6 at halftime over Dallas.

- 4-0 over Boston, then losing LaFontaine and Mogilny to injury against Montreal.... 4-3 games against the Cup champions.

- Music City (non-) Miracle.

- No goal after Patrick hit the crossbar.

- Losing to the Steeler back-ups.

- Game 7 vs. Carolina.

- Second FG against Dallas.

- McKelvin's kick-off return fumbles.

- Being up against the Pats only to lose, more times that I can count.

You and bunch of others can talk sh$t and make fun of folks like me, calling it superstition. It's not superstition. It's history. I'll be happy and post about McEichel once it's actually over.

Nothing is over!

1396691188261.jpg

I remember the Seahawks on the 1 yard line with 1st and 10 and 30 seconds left with 2 timeouts. That game was over for them too right? This is not over yet, especially as a Buffalo fan.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I was around for all these events. His point is COMPLETELY valid. Nothing any fan said had any bearing on those outcomes. Nothing any fan says will have any bearing on FUTURE outcomes either.

People gotta relax.

One post above yours:

don't get it. None of the events affect the others. No one is claiming that they are connected in some super-natural way.

I'm just not taking it for granted - like you and some others are. It's not over. Talk all you want about how it's over. But you shouldn't. It's not over

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I haven't said that it is over, but I'm sure as hell not harboring any fear or concern because of past Buffalo sports disappointments that I see so prominently expressed.

You keep saying "fear" ad nauseam. No one is scared. I'm not.

Concerned? Yep. I'll stop being concerned when Buffalo mathematically clinches 30th.

PirateShip

May 26, 2013
Bunnell Florida
You really don't get it, do you? No one is saying they're connected. The fact is buffalo sports fans have been through all those events. They're in everyone's mind. As a result they're going to be more cautious now.

If the first time you came to NYC someone asked to borrow your cell phone, you let him, and he ran off with it that'll probably affect your perception of other people asking for assistance in NYC, even though in no way is any of it related.

Perfect analogy.... each stroke of Buffalo sports misfortune stands on it's own

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Adelphia Tower, Bass Pro...

But all changed when Pegula arrived. Stuff got done.

Now that I think about it, thank goodness Bass Pro never became real.

Bass Pro? That wasn't bad luck. That was one of the dumbest ideas ever peddled by government officials. How the hell would opening one retail store paying people 10 bucks and hour kick start the economy?

They should have just offered incentives for real local companies to develop there.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Oh, this is fun remembering past events that weren't over in Buffalo sports history:

7 seconds Drury goal, Greatest comeback in Sports, Tim Connolly game one gtg, Pegula buying the Bills...wait those are all positive, I stink at this game.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
This definition of fear: an unpleasant often strong emotion caused by anticipation or awareness of danger.

No.

This definition of fear: anxious concern.

No.

lol really?

noun
a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid.
Synonyms: foreboding, apprehension, consternation, dismay, dread, terror, fright, panic, horror, trepidation, qualm.
Antonyms: courage, security, calm, intrepidity.
a specific instance of or propensity for such a feeling:
an abnormal fear of heights.
Synonyms: phobia, aversion; bête noire, bogy, bogey, bugbear.
Antonyms: liking, fondness, penchant, predilection.
concern or anxiety; solicitude:
a fear for someone's safety.

DEFINITION 3

The words are interchangable
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad