Post-Game Talk: Tank thread: All over

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I still think they throw everything and the kitchen sink at whoever has the first pick for Hughes.

Benning is desperate to save his job and Aquilini will want the marketing buzz.
nothing on this team is going to move that needl2 short of (they are not moving Hughes for Hughes, PR fail)

a) Pettersson (not happening)
b) Horvat/Boeser + 9th OA.

What else have they got? 2020 1st 2021 1st. You would need to package both of those with the 2019 1st, and probably throw in a Hutton level player. Giving up the 2020 1st and 2021 1st could be an Ottawa level fail.

Most likely move up would be 2 or 3 spots for a 2nd + a player.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
nothing on this team is going to move that needl2 short of (they are not moving Hughes for Hughes, PR fail)

a) Pettersson (not happening)
b) Horvat/Boeser + 9th OA.

What else have they got? 2020 1st 2021 1st. You would need to package both of those with the 2019 1st, and probably throw in a Hutton level player. Giving up the 2020 1st and 2021 1st could be an Ottawa level fail.

Most likely move up would be 2 or 3 spots for a 2nd + a player.

It's going to be Horvat + 10th overall + 2020 1st round pick, and quite possibly a 2nd or two in there as well.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Benning is not trading for the first overall pick. Like, c'mon. That would require a manager who can actually swing major deals. This is an area where Benning's stunning incompetence works in our favour; the only deals he's been able to make in the last few years have been pretty minor.

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
Haven't done this in a (bad) week. Teams in italics are officially out of reach (today's results added Buffalo and Detroit to the list). Anaheim is still possible due to ROW I think. At the top of the list, I believe we're safe from Arizona and Florida due to ROW.

Team
GP
Left
Pts
Pace
Max
Florida8028486.188
Arizona8028486.188
Minnesota8028385.187
Philadelphia8028284.186
Chicago7938083.086
Vancouver8028082.084
Edmonton8027778.981
Anaheim8027677.980
Manhattan7937577.881
Detroit8027475.978
Buffalo8027273.876
New Jersey8027071.874
Los Angeles8026970.773
Ottawa7936264.468
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

sigggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Reactions: ChilliBilly

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Haha calm down.

That's why you have managers, coaches and owners. The long term direction of an organization has to transcend players.

Players know nothing about business, strategy, or really anything off the ice.

You've lost the plot.

Pretty much. Why posters always refer to players doing the tanking is beyond me. It's always on management and coaching.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
I think maybe the most incredible thing is Buffalo slipping past Detroit. Wings had an ELEVEN POINT CUSHION two weeks ago

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
It's going to be Horvat + 10th overall + 2020 1st round pick, and quite possibly a 2nd or two in there as well.

giphy.gif

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Who cares about trading for the 1st overall pick, How about trading up for the 4th overall pick and get Byram, that's a good target, if we pick 9th.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Who cares about trading for the 1st overall pick, How about trading up for the 4th overall pick and get Byram, that's a good target, if we pick 9th.

With what assets?

Can't afford to lose any young players off the roster. Prospect depth is terrible.

Looking at 2019 2nd round, 2020 1st/2nd round picks. That's the last thing this team should be doing, so naturally I could see Benning doing this.

Also, whens the last time a team has traded up into the top 5? People bring it up every year like it's a realistic scenario and it never happens.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
With what assets?

Can't afford to lose any young players off the roster. Prospect depth is terrible.

Looking at 2019 2nd round, 2020 1st/2nd round picks. That's the last thing this team should be doing, so naturally I could see Benning doing this.

Also, whens the last time a team has traded up into the top 5? People bring it up every year like it's a realistic scenario and it never happens.
If you value byram more than an additional 2nd round pick + 3rd round pick, you make the deal.
I think it would cost even more

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Well the good news is the team still sucks, and doesn't have anything else coming through the pipeline to save Benning's ass. They will still be junk next year, even with Hughes up here. With nothing else to look forward to in the future that'll definitely be the end.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
If you value byram more than an additional 2nd round pick + 3rd round pick, you make the deal.
I think it would cost even more

Pretty much every team at the bottom has positioned themselves with purpose. They sold off assets at the deadline like any reasonably intelligent team would do and brought in many additional picks. The Canuck's predictably did the opposite of this and to no one's surprise, it has once again come back to bite them.

Every team at the bottom needs that pick just as bad as the Canucks. The only way they're trading it is if Benning offers them a package that can't be refused. This is no doubt the last thing they should be doing but with his job on the line, I could see Benning doing it. I get the feeling ownership is getting anxious and would sway a move like this as well.

Between trading picks and using a pile of cash on UFAs, the Canuck's are going to be mediocre for a while. I'm not even convinced new management would be given the authority to properly rebuild this team. This entire franchise is just a mess from top to bottom. We're a few years behind the Oilers and Sabres, but it's safe to say we are walking their path.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Chicago pls don’t lose final games. Looks like 9th is our place.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
A few fascinating games coming up. Detroit vs Buffalo is going to be huge. Two teams that are right next to each in the standing but heading in different directions. Det 8-2-0 and a 6 game W streak, Buff 1-8-1, 3 L streak.

Kings vs Ducks, either could bump the other a few spots down the draft pecking order.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Don’t care
There’s literally no point at putting hope in lottery
You can get a good player in any round if your scouts do their work

I would trade all my early picks for a bunch of late rounders. Imagine how many good players you could get if you trade your 1st for two 2nds then trade those two seconds for a pile of 3rd rounders etc. Damn. Why has no team realised this is the real way!

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You don't. We know you don't. What you're doing is juvenile.

No, I really do. You can't tell me what I think.

Am I saying it's going to happen for sure? No. Whoever ends up with the top pick may not even accept that trade. But I wouldn't at all be surprised if Benning offered that.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
No, I really do. You can't tell me what I think.

Am I saying it's going to happen for sure? No. Whoever ends up with the top pick may not even accept that trade. But I wouldn't at all be surprised if Benning offered that.
I'm not telling you what to think. I'm pointing out that you are lying when you claim to think it and observing that this behaviour is silly and unproductive.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
What a kick to the groin the last 3 games have been. Winning games when it doesn't matter. Players who are never going to be a part of the core long term producing when it doesn't matter. The team had the opportunity to at least be in a position of 5/6th spot and now can realistically end up in 10/11 and fall even further in the draft. Nothing's going to change next year. This organization will continue to falter and live in mediocrity for a while.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
If we seriously manage to win enough games in garbage season to pick outside of the top 10 this year, and keep this complete cluster f***ery of a management group to start next season, I'm completely done with this team until they're cup competitors again, possibly later next decade. I sat through the Messier years of the 90s because I was young and naive, I sat through the mid-2000s because I wanted to see Naslund's farewell, but this level of sustained incompetence is unwatchable and is just not worth the effort to heave through.

I commend fellow tankers who have the continued patience to invest time and energy into this team after half a decade of an ignominious existence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad