Post-Game Talk: Tampa takes season opener 5-2. Prepare for home opener Saturday

Who will score first Panthers goal of the season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Well, it looks like y'all got Healthy Strålman. Tried to tell people (Lightning fans and others) that his poor performance last season was due to injury (double hernia) not age/natural decline. What you saw tonight was classic Stråls.

Only tiny worry would be that he looked pretty tired in the third. But he himself said that he's still working on getting his conditioning back 100% after his surgery in May.

Lightning gave him a lovely tribute video and we fans gave him a Standing ovation. :puppy:

Glad to know he'll be appreciated as a Panther.

Very impressed with him last night...thanks for the input.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Stats on these are garbage as usual btw. Watching the replay and I've seen at least 5 high danger chances for us in the first 25 min.

It was rather even game but Cirelli's 3rd line shut down Barkov's line rather well and Dadonov can't score from prime chances. I'd expect Q to demote Dadonov the third line and maybe Malgin or Vatrano will step up to the 1st line. Malgin was pretty good and I'd reckon that Q sees something in his game because he wouldn't be in the roster if that wasn't the case.

Ultimately the difference was that the Cats best players weren't playing according to their standards. If Hubs takes yet again until December or January to get going, we'd probably have to chalk this season in the training wheels category. It's only the first game of the season but the team looks like that they picked off from where they left in the last season even tho they supposedly were looking forward to starting the season on a high note.

Reactions: I am not exposed

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
It was rather even game but Cirelli's 3rd line shut down Barkov's line rather well and Dadonov can't score from prime chances. I'd expect Q to demote Dadonov the third line and maybe Malgin or Vatrano will step up to the 1st line. Malgin was pretty good and I'd reckon that Q sees something in his game because he wouldn't be in the roster if that wasn't the case.

Ultimately the difference was that the Cats best players weren't playing according to their standards. If Hubs takes yet again until December or January to get going, we'd probably have to chalk this season in the training wheels category. It's only the first game of the season but the team looks like that they picked off from where they left in the last season even tho they supposedly were looking forward to starting the season on a high note.

agree with most here

the team looks like that they picked off from where they left in the last season even tho they supposedly were looking forward to starting the season on a high note.

i have to disagree. Q's influence was noticeable out of the gate. the team played far more structured than anything under booger. the difference was the top lines as you point out. cooper had the advantage to set match ups and planned his deployment around H-B-D

Reactions: Boothinator

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
I think we played a good game 5 on 5 which we couldnt do all year last season! Our defense played well enough to win this game . If we bury some our grade A chances we could have beaten Tampa. The special teams were clearly in favor of the Lightning. But we got some good looks on the PP as well

Gotta move onto the next game Saturday!

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
agree with most here

i have to disagree. Q's influence was noticeable out of the gate. the team played far more structured than anything under booger. the difference was the top lines as you point out. cooper had the advantage to set match ups and planned his deployment around H-B-D

This is what will help us in the home opener. Q is known for matchups. Our 4th line did match up really with Tampas line. He tried to match them up with Kucherov if I am not mistaken

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
the difference was the top lines as you point out. cooper had the advantage to set match ups and planned his deployment around H-B-D

I don't think the top line was bad. Dadonov just couldn't score, he had great chances. Not their best game but like you said Cooper could match up like he wanted and it's Tampa.

Comparing them with Stamkos' line and I think both were fairly well contained.

Reactions: Boothinator

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Stats on these are garbage as usual btw. Watching the replay and I've seen at least 5 high danger chances for us in the first 25 min.

Yeah I've been noticing this a lot too when I'm actually paying attention to the chances.

The stats say 4 high danger chances for panthers the whole game (it says 3 at 5v5), but there's no way that's all there was. Off the top of my head I can remember dads breakaway, barky/dads 2-0 fail, hoffman pass when he should have shot right in the slot, hoffman goal, trocheck goal - that's 5 high danger chances right there, 2 were converted. There were definitely more than that, but I can't recall at the moment.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I don't think the top line was bad. Dadonov just couldn't score, he had great chances. Not their best game but like you said Cooper could match up like he wanted and it's Tampa.

Comparing them with Stamkos' line and I think both were fairly well contained.

Agree, the top line had their chances earlier in the game. They lost some face offs so had trouble getting possession and the power play was poop. Not their best game, hubs was not very noticeable, but I didn't think it was terrible.

I though trocheck line wasn't as good as the boxscore would suggest. First period was terrible and out of sync, along with the stupid trocheck penalty that led to a goal. Hoffman goal was nice and they had some good movement there, with trocheck actually passing it around and not losing the puck. Tro shortie had nothing to do with the second line. Connolly doesn't look like he fits.

Borg played well, but he needs better wingers. Malgin played ok...but nothing special. Vatrano had some weak shot selection. I really think Borg could breakout if we gave him some better players.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I think we played a good game 5 on 5 which we couldnt do all year last season! Our defense played well enough to win this game . If we bury some our grade A chances we could have beaten Tampa. The special teams were clearly in favor of the Lightning. But we got some good looks on the PP as well

Gotta move onto the next game Saturday!

Shocking...we play well 5v5, but now special teams suck.....around and around we go. I really hope this team can put it together, but won't be surprised if one thing gets fixed and something else starts to struggle...it's been happening for 20+ years.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
Shocking...we play well 5v5, but now special teams suck.....around and around we go. I really hope this team can put it together, but won't be surprised if one thing gets fixed and something else starts to struggle...it's been happening for 20+ years.

The Powerplay had some chances. It didn't look out of sync. Bolts still had Vasilevskiy in goal . We will seee how we play in Game 2

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
George Richards has a game recap up on The Athletic. Is that something he did last year? Seems like the coverage has stepped up tremendously on that website.

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Yeah I've been noticing this a lot too when I'm actually paying attention to the chances.

The stats say 4 high danger chances for panthers the whole game (it says 3 at 5v5), but there's no way that's all there was. Off the top of my head I can remember dads breakaway, barky/dads 2-0 fail, hoffman pass when he should have shot right in the slot, hoffman goal, trocheck goal - that's 5 high danger chances right there, 2 were converted. There were definitely more than that, but I can't recall at the moment.

Malgin had a breakaway too in the second.

Plus the two goalposts and other opportunities, although probably not counted as high danger but nonetheless they had plethora of chances which weren't converted. 5v5 the team looked good, just need to score.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Agree, the top line had their chances earlier in the game. They lost some face offs so had trouble getting possession and the power play was poop. Not their best game, hubs was not very noticeable, but I didn't think it was terrible.

I though trocheck line wasn't as good as the boxscore would suggest. First period was terrible and out of sync, along with the stupid trocheck penalty that led to a goal. Hoffman goal was nice and they had some good movement there, with trocheck actually passing it around and not losing the puck. Tro shortie had nothing to do with the second line. Connolly doesn't look like he fits.

Borg played well, but he needs better wingers. Malgin played ok...but nothing special. Vatrano had some weak shot selection. I really think Borg could breakout if we gave him some better players.

Watching it again and I think Tro's line got better as the game progressed. Connolly was the weak link there but it's still early. And yeah, Borg's line was a bit disappointing.

Reactions: pantherbot

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Experience told me, with all the build up, the actual event would have been a bit anticlimactic, and it was. This is going to be a long hard process. Just hope at the end we come out on the right side of things.

Reactions: Vilam

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Let's say it did, Bob is standing up, he shouldn't get beat over the shoulder like he's 5'2 or something.

I'm really disappointed in yet another Trademark Panthers loss, but come on. That was a really unfortunate deflection. I don't think the team deserved to win (too many blown opportunities and poor PK), but that one... that one doesn't upset me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille