Post-Game Talk: Tampa takes season opener 5-2. Prepare for home opener Saturday

Who will score first Panthers goal of the season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
My take on this rarest of events, a game I could actually watch:
First of all, not too worried by the loss. Playing arguably the best team in the league and one of the best in NHL history, kept them toe to toe through two periods. Can't fault Bob for most of the 4 goals he allowed, and as far as the defense goes they simply got beat by better players. Means there's room to improve, but until we see them against the rest of the league we can't gauge where they are.
Really like what I saw from Ekblad - nothing fancy, but controlling play and making very sound defensive plays without flash so he might have gone unnoticed by many. Really like how he plays.

Don't have time for more of a take, so that's the big stuff for now.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
For the people who went to the funky Buddha watch party, my gf is the one who won the mark Pysyk puck by doing that trivia game lol a lot of fun, just wish they won. Wasn’t expecting it against Tampa in Tampa. But I’ll trade a lose there for a win at home. Can’t wait for tomorrow!

Monty’s new mask is beautiful!

Nice to see weegar is ok and Hawryluk in the lineup.

Bob was solid. Yeah he could’ve saved the shattenkirk one and the maroon one he misread thinking it was gonna rebound to the other side. But he did make that one killer save. It’s not about him being insane every game, against Tampa no less, it’s about consistently playing solid. Unfortunately you can’t take penalties against tampa.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I don't like Kitchen at all. The PK was terrible and if he runs the PP as well, he needs to be fired. Planting Barkov in front of the net is probably the dumbest thing you can do. We had a powerplay in the 3rd and he didn't touch the puck once.

Plus, Kitchen has a dumb face.
Barkov was in front all last year and our ok was good. Weird thing to still be complaining about.

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
It was rather even game but Cirelli's 3rd line shut down Barkov's line rather well and Dadonov can't score from prime chances. I'd expect Q to demote Dadonov the third line and maybe Malgin or Vatrano will step up to the 1st line. Malgin was pretty good and I'd reckon that Q sees something in his game because he wouldn't be in the roster if that wasn't the case.

Ultimately the difference was that the Cats best players weren't playing according to their standards. If Hubs takes yet again until December or January to get going, we'd probably have to chalk this season in the training wheels category. It's only the first game of the season but the team looks like that they picked off from where they left in the last season even tho they supposedly were looking forward to starting the season on a high note.
Dads to the 3rd line just because he didn't score against current Vezina Trophy winner? Lol with Vatrano or Malgin top line arguably would't even have this grade A chances

Reactions: BabyBarkov

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I think he’ll be a good player but I don’t see this insane hype. He turns over the puck way too much for my liking.

He looks like a player that dominated as a junior because of speed and dangles. Speed maybe great but dangling works for very few elite players at the nhl level and he doesn't have that kind of skill. Add to that he looks like a high school kid, it'll take years for him to bulk up. By then their current core will be mostly out of the league / moved on (Subban, Vatanen, Palmieri etc).

I don't know how Kakko looked in his debut but I'd taken him 10/10 times over this dude.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
Stralman ha
Here's a link to the Strålman tribute shown during the first TV timeout. He got a huge, loud standing ovation from us fans and stick taps from both teams. :heart: Congrats on getting a really great person who also happens to be pretty damn good at that defensive hockey stuff.

Stralman has been great! Wow, I am impressed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->