Pre-Game Talk: Tampa Bay VS Detroit November 15 7:30PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
"We got to get to the other net better, we got to get more forecheck pressure and we got to win more puck battles," Blashill said. "(Glendening) does all those things and it frees you up on the wing a little bit to get in on the forecheck, win puck battles, get to the net. It allows more space for Nielsen and Larkin potentially, so it's something we're looking at."

Okay, no. Just no. If Glendening could do those things in a way that created offense, he wouldn't be a 4th liner.

This is my biggest beef with people justifying putting guys in the top 6 who "win puck battles," "forecheck well" and "go to the net." That is only half the process. You have to have a quick brain to know what to do with the puck after you win that battle. You have to have an eye for the puck when you go to the net. You have to be able to pull off a shot or a set-up play after you've recovered the puck on the forecheck.

This is exactly why we don't have a litany of 4th liners perpetually rising up the ranks of the NHL each year simply because of these puck-battling traits. Its why Sheahan still sucks and why Glendening has never hit 30 points in ANY hockey league. Its why it took Abby 2 seasons of playing with Zetterberg and Datsyuk before he finally saw the points (and he actually had a pedigree of skill in other leagues).

In short, its just a flat-out time-waster.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Blash dis guy, play dis guy

BlHkOwvCMAAheMc.jpg

Man, whats so annoying about this Sproul scenario is that, even if you want to criticize the fanbase for having "shiny new toy" syndrome, you still can't argue that getting Sproul out there isn't a smart move for the organization. He showed a spark in his games this season and we absolutely have to explore that. This isn't an average-skating, defensive LHD we're talking about but a defenseman who hits all the boxes on our checklist. We can't afford to put off his NHL development and find out what we have in him, even if it ends up in disappointment.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Nyquist was thriving on a 3rd line, he was almost too good and brought up to help in the top 6. Weaker players, 3rd pairing defense- Gus was a sparkplug to Helm's line we haven't seen anything close since.

May be yet another of Blashill's nutty "shakeups" can generate something positive. Kronwall out, that's one positive!

I like how quickly (2 seasons) the division rivalry's have been stirred up since Detroit switched conferences. Florida, Montreal, Toronto, Boston, etc. all have an edge to our games. Tampa Bay and Detroit do not like each other. Guaranteed the Bolts are not taking a night off or giving a win away. The Wings are making a lunatic out of me, I still hold a shard of faith we can hang in there and somehow beat Tampa. :help:

Another poster commented this, SMH how desperate the Wings fans fawn and pine over the hopeful return of our savior VANEK! Yes the guy had a decent world cup and a fluid start the first 4 games of the season or whatever...but to long for him the way Wings fans are doing is downright pathetic. The fact he's our best player is unacceptable.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Another poster commented this, SMH how desperate the Wings fans fawn and pine over the hopeful return of our savior VANEK! Yes the guy had a decent world cup and a fluid start the first 4 games of the season or whatever...but to long for him the way Wings fans are doing is downright pathetic. The fact he's our best player is unacceptable.

I half agree with that. Its silly how often people attribute this sputtering to losing Vanek. He is not a savior nor is any other forward who was playing 12-13 minutes a game before injury.

That said, the benefit of Vanek individually is uncharacteristically bigger to this team relative to many/most players and their organizations. First, the guy is clearly playing with a chip on his shoulder. He was playing like the guy who earned a 7x7 deal in Buffalo and had the swagger to back it up. He was playing with the attitude of a game-changer. We don't have many guys like that anymore and he has it. Second, he is the type of player we desperately need. As a cerebral yet versatile goal scorer, he fills a huge need for us while simultaneously bringing his linemates around him to life because of it.

Oct 18, 2006
Blash's comments in that Khan article about limiting Kronwall's minutes/time leads me to believe that he thinks Z's usage is not problematic. I'm actually impressed by his lack of touch with reality.
I love this post. :laugh: Blash has totally lost me, it's sad what's happening.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Man, whats so annoying about this Sproul scenario is that, even if you want to criticize the fanbase for having "shiny new toy" syndrome, you still can't argue that getting Sproul out there isn't a smart move for the organization. He showed a spark in his games this season and we absolutely have to explore that. This isn't an average-skating, defensive LHD we're talking about but a defenseman who hits all the boxes on our checklist. We can't afford to put off his NHL development and find out what we have in him, even if it ends up in disappointment.

Almost 100% of HF want Sproul playing including myself. Surely the Wings see it too, they must be buying time holding off because of the log-jam of acquired D. "Resting" Kronwall was a polite way of scratching him for Sproul, this is good news.

RS makes intelligent plays every shift. He's able to skate the puck in himself and create offense. He's creative and risky in a way that is a must in this game. Well said Reddwit, he "hits all the boxes" and could truly be an above average NHL defenseman.

I'd be on board with letting the youngsters carry the burden, for victory or disappointment. On Saturday when Blashill threw out Mantha, Bertuzzi, Larkin and sat a few of the veterans for a shift in the 3rd period I felt...I guess pride or satisfaction? These are the guys the Wings scouted, drafted, and developed, give them the space to try and prove themselves. Unlike a player such as Smith there is an excitement watching the newer players grow. If the season is out of reach early enough we may be seeing more prospects up than ever imagined.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Everything Blashill said is comical in different ways:

"When he sits on the bench it's hard not play him lots of minutes," Blashill said. "He's been an elite defenseman for a long time in this league and so when he's on the bench it's hard not play him lots. The only way to not play him is to make him take time off."

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Glendening on the second line? We are struggling to score goals, so Blashill is putting Luke freaking Glendening in the top 6? He must be trying to get fired...

I'm not watching if Glendening is actually on the 2nd line.

Hilarious.
Larkin and Nielsen are both -7. Putting a defensive guy like Glendening with them is not the craziest thing I've seen.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Glendenning's ability to retrieve the puck won't mean jack **** when the opposing team just blankets the other forwards on the ice that posess any ability to generate offense.

It might have been possible to plug in a 4th line grinder on your top line when Pavel Datsyuk was on that line, but that is no longer the case.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Give Glendening some slack guys, he will put his face in front of as many pucks as it takes before the other team inevitably scores on him.

This team really needs a philosophy change.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Indicating that Glendening would be good at possession, lol. He can't pass, thus can't be good at possession. It's just the most basic thing.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Sproul back in tonight. Better not make to many tape to tape passes or his ass is getting benched again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad