Tampa Bay defeat NY Islanders 4-2 to advance to the Stanley Cup Final

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Islanders were one of the top goal scoring teams in the playoffs. Varly was great but stop with this narrative that he carried them. Not true.
That's true, the Islanders did have either the best or 2nd best PDO in the playoffs. Gotta be lucky to be good.

Reactions: Merrrlin

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
So happy for this Lightning bunch and it awesome that Bogo is getting cool playoff memories during his 1st playoffs

Lightning slayed their ECF demon, one more step to climb if this bunch wants what they've been chasing "The Stanley Cup"

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Varlamov was phenomenal, this game probably shouldn't have gone to OT. TB had 49 more shots this series, people are talking about the Isles brand of hockey, i think Varly is getting overlooked here. Hoping Stamkos comes back for at least 1 game in the finals, I love the guy but it's brutal watching them go on this run without him.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
Hedman is hands down the best defenseman in the NHL. There's really no comparison IMO. He was the most dangerous player on the ice every single night and was a machine in his own zone.

I said it last night, but the gap in talent between the Islanders and Tampa is pretty big. They had the three best players in the series in Hedman, Point and Kucherov. Speaks volumes to the effort and dedication to team play from the Islanders. I can't believe Pelech played all of Game 5 with a broken wrist that requires surgery. What a gamer.

This series could've easily gone 7.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Hedman is hands down the best defenseman in the NHL. There's really no comparison IMO. He was the most dangerous player on the ice every single night and was a machine in his own zone.

I said it last night, but the gap in talent between the Islanders and Tampa is pretty big. They had the three best players in the series in Hedman, Point and Kucherov. Speaks volumes to the effort and dedication to team play from the Islanders. I can't believe Pelech played all of Game 5 with a broken wrist that requires surgery. What a gamer.

This post makes no sense.

The series should've been 4-5 games tops.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
This post makes no sense.

The series should've been 4-5 games tops.
It makes perfect sense once you realize the two statements aren't mutually exclusive. The most talented team doesn't always win the Cup (if they did, I think Tampa would've won a couple in row now). With the exception of Game 1, all of the games were pretty tight and could've gone either way. Varlamov kept the Islanders in Game 6 until the 3rd and then the Islanders started to take control of the play.

But you're right, it could've been over in 4-5 just like it could've easily gone 7. Because there were many close games.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

This series wouldn't have gone more than 4 with a healthy Brayden Point. Even with the imbalance in injuries, Tampa still vastly outplayed NYI in every category except hits. Only one of the games was truly competitive outside incredible goaltending from NYI's keepers.

As expected, NYI finally faced a contender and it was a hard fought but overall lopsided series.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
This series wouldn't have gone more than 4 with a healthy Brayden Point. Even with the imbalance in injuries, Tampa still vastly outplayed NYI in every category except hits.
Sure, IF they had a healthy Brayden Point it would've been different. But they didn't. So it wasn't. What's your point?

As for the 'vastly outplay(ing)' part, I disagree. Tampa stomped a hole in the Islanders in Game 1. That's about it. I'm not taking anything away from Tampa, they fully deserved to advance. But you're looking at everything through Leaf colored glasses and due to that, your analysis of what actually transpired couldn't be more off. I'd bet most Tampa/Isles fans see it my way as well because, well, we were actually invested in the series and the two teams while outsiders (like yourself and the rest of the Leaf fans in this thread thumping their chests after accomplishing nothing) strictly watched because you have a bias against one of these two teams. It's pretty clear. Just be honest about who you are and what your intentions are.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Sure, IF they had a healthy Brayden Point it would've been different. But they didn't. So it wasn't. What's your point?

As for the 'vastly outplay(ing)' part, I disagree. Tampa stomped a hole in the Islanders in Game 1. That's about it.

I don't agree, I think it was pretty lopsided. I took a look at the series stats and Tampa was close to 60% on a lot of things. Exceptional goaltending from Varly (props to Lou for his eye for goalies) kept this series alive. I think NYI only had one game where they actually deserved to win in terms of generating chances and shutting down TBay. I believe it was game 3, when Stamkos, Point and Killorn were all out.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I don't agree, I think it was pretty lopsided. I took a look at the series stats and Tampa was close to 60% on a lot of things. Exceptional goaltending from Varly (props to Lou for his eye for goalies) kept this series alive. I think NYI only had one game where they actually deserved to win in terms of generating chances and shutting down TBay. I believe it was game 3, when Stamkos, Point and Killorn were all out.
GO LEAFS GO!!!!!111

LIKE THIS POST DANTHEMAN1967!!!!111

Reactions: The Lighthouse

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
We were in a war with the Isles only to be thrown into the fire tomorrow. Lord help me.

arent you the guy who came to the isles board to question me for posting something like this regarding our series. Not trying to be salty but absolutely have to call you out on the hypocrisy.

good luck Tampa fans

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Congrats TB,NY you were a team that was fun to watch,and had a great run...I think your guys are real close,maybe an upgrade on Barzals wing would the tonic??

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Congratulations to the Islanders on a great run. Varlamov was phenomenal. Trotz is the best coach in the league. Thank god Panarin signed with the Rangers; the Isles would be winning multiple cups with him. All they are missing is a dynamic offensive player.

ps. Tampa reminds me of the great Islanders teams of the 80s. Absolute powerhouse.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Our defense gets underrated because people get blinded by our scoring. But it's now more appropriate to talk about where Hedman ranks all-time than against his peers, because, like you said, he's hands down the best. I think that's been true for a few years now, honestly.

Beyond Hedman, we have a collection of very good defensemen. They all make their mistakes, don't get me wrong, but not a whole lot relative to other teams. I think what ultimately got us over the hump vs. NYI, and what's different about this team than previous years, was poise on defense. In 2020, we seem more than willing to grind out a long, boring game, while being confident that we're going to bury our chance when we get it.

Heddyzeppelin

Aug 24, 2020
Massive respect for the Islanders after that series. Well coached and structured team. Deserved to be there and gave us all we wanted (Or didn’t want lol) in a series.

I think you have a bright future as your young players mature. It might sting a little now but that will make it all the sweeter when you eventually make it. Speaking from fan experience on that one for sure.

Full disclosure, prior to this series I hadn’t watched a lot of Islanders games. Brock Nelson was a bit of a revelation to me. I’ll take him on the Lightning any day!!

Great series and good luck to your team next year.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Should"ve? Ok, but it wasn't. Pulling for Tampa but they better not take Dallas lightly. Even tho the talent delta is pretty much the same as with LI.

As good as Dallas is, they gave up a lot of goals to Colorado. Depending on how healthy we are, our offense could be a little better than Colorado's. Especially if Stamkos comes back, even if he's not at 100% -- having him on the PP alone makes us more of a threat.

I don't think anybody's taking Dallas lightly. We're having injury problems, and there are probably going to be fatigue problems after all these overtimes. But there should be advantages to exploit. Of the final four, maybe even eight, it seemed like TB was the only team that could both score and defend at a high level.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Islanders were clearly overmatched most of the series especially when Point was in the lineup but they still played hard and gave themselves a chance in every game except game 1. They will be a formidable opponent in the East for awhile. Just need one or two more high end talents.

Tampa finally gets the monkey off their back and returns to the Cup finals. Should be a great series against the Stars.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Agree with everything except this. This series should've been over in 5, even going 6 was miraculous.

Reactions: Merrrlin

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
This series wouldn't have gone more than 4 with a healthy Brayden Point. Even with the imbalance in injuries, Tampa still vastly outplayed NYI in every category except hits. Only one of the games was truly competitive outside incredible goaltending from NYI's keepers.

As expected, NYI finally faced a contender and it was a hard fought but overall lopsided series.
The Islanders were missing their best defensive center and #1 Dman last night, and put in a rookie that hadent played a game these playoffs. They won game 5 without their best defensive center and their #1 dman broke his hand in the beginning of the game and still played over 30 mins. This series went more than 4 games because Tampa couldnt win in 4 games. Had to hear all series about TB vezna goalie... so sorry our goalie played better than expected. Varly was a 0.921 and Vasy was a 0.933. Game 1 was BS, both coaches even said so, and now Lightning fans are complaining about having to play Saturday night. After game 1, three 2-1 games. If they vastly outplayed the Isles, and it still took 6... the next round may not be so kind when they go up against an even better goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad