GDT: Tampa @ Anaheim

Status
Not open for further replies.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
Yep and so has Hayward and many more goalies past and present who wouldn't mind smaller equipment as would a host of hockey figures, both goalies and non-goalies.

So have you heard any current goalies say they want equipment smaller? You know, the ones actually standing in front of the pucks right now? Former goalies can talk all they want, most know they would never be able to play nowadays.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Have you actually put on equipment and stood in front of a puck? I live with someone who comes home bruised from pick up hockey so don't tell me how equipment should be smaller when he uses NHL level gear. Everyone is convinced they never feel anything then ***** when they get hurt.

Smaller doesn't mean less thick or less protective. It means no flaps at the top that protect nothing but seal the five hole in the butterfly. It means form fitting jerseys. It means pads that don't extend several inches past the sides of the legs and chest. It means pads that actually cover the legs and don't extend well past the thighs like some goofy transformer.

It's needed.

Papaspud

Vatman
Dec 19, 2008
To the rescue
Smaller doesn't mean less thick or less protective. It means no flaps at the top that protect nothing but seal the five hole in the butterfly. It means form fitting jerseys. It means pads that don't extend several inches past the sides of the legs and chest. It means pads that actually cover the legs and don't extend well past the thighs like some goofy transformer.

It's needed.

Why exactly is it needed? Just because our "scorers" don't seem to remember how to do it, there seem to be quite a few players who seem to be able to pot goals.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Why exactly is it needed? Just because our "scorers" don't seem to remember how to do it, there seem to be quite a few players who seem to be able to pot goals.

Because scoring is down league wide. And the things I mentioned aren't about protection, they're about making there be as little space as possible to stop goals.

Current goaltenders aren't concerned about injuries from those things being addressed, they're concerned about their numbers going down to where they used to be before everyone started looking like the Michelin Man, and losing money in the process.

DucksAreCool

Feb 24, 2015
Because the equipment doesn't serve the purpose of protection, it serves the purpose of inflating the size of already sizable goaltenders.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
Fun fact of the day: to date we have managed 8 losses in total at home. That is the unchallenged #1 stat in West, and second only to Buffalo overall. #possessionftw #fortressponda #byebyeplayoffs

George Binks

#MakeAnaheimGr8Again
Jul 28, 2012
Man that was a tough game to be at. That pp is so frustrating and the virus that Getz has of thinking he can perform a no look pass is spreading to other players.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Good performance, perhaps signs of them turning a corner of sorts. But if BM is serious about improving the team and making the playoffs he needs to add a goalscoring LW asap, not getting nearly enough production out of that 2nd line and it would enable Ritchie to go back to San Diego where he should be right now.

That 2nd PP unit is horrible, 2 if not 3 of the players on that unit are complete deadweight.

Papaspud

Vatman
Dec 19, 2008
To the rescue
Scoring being down League wide is because of many reasons other than goaltender equipment, but straw man if you like. Thigh risers, that you claim only close the 5 hole, are there to protect a goalie's knees when they drop into the butterfly position. When you actually play the position, your comments about what current goaltender's concerns "might" be might hold some weight, but until then, you sound like a disgruntled fan trying to glom onto what they think will make whatever irks them"better".

gratefulyours

Great 8 = T. Selanne
Nov 9, 2010
Oakland
not trying to be a ***** papa, serious question.

how does the pad extending past the knee a good half foot or more help protect his knees?

Papaspud

Vatman
Dec 19, 2008
To the rescue
not trying to be a ***** papa, serious question.

how does the pad extending past the knee a good half foot or more help protect his knees?

There are no legal risers 6" above the knee pocket. The NHL has reduced the size of both the width, as well as the height of all legpads...as well as the size of any thighboards, and knee protectors, and coverings. Jiggy's knee coverings he used are no longer legal. Because of this the NHL has allowed a certain amount of thigh rise above the knee pocket of a legpasd for protection. I believe 4" is max, and even then it has to do with the individual goalie's leg measurements.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The argument you're presenting isn't on Murray. Those three got deals that any GM would have given players who have shown what they have.

You are dead wrong that any GM would have given Kesler that contract. That was a disaster waiting to happen from the second he signed it, even I called it when it happened (not trying to brag - I'm usually wrong). It is ridiculous to say signing a 31 year old player to a 6 year extension a year before he was set to become a UFA is something "any GM would have done". Kesler wasn't even an elite offensive gamebreaker in the first place. He has now declined into probably a 40 point player at his peak for the rest of his time here. Brilliant

The Perry and Getzlaf contracts are whatever. They're two of the best players in franchise history and had to be re-signed. No complaints about that.

Our idiot Gm should have surrounded them with better talent when they were in their primes. Instead we saved all our prospects until their values declined to a 2nd round pick, and here we are. They're now both past their prime and the support around them has also gotten worse

I won't even get into the crazy amount of $$ he's spending on 10 goal scorers and bottom pairing defensemen

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Scoring being down League wide is because of many reasons other than goaltender equipment, but straw man if you like. Thigh risers, that you claim only close the 5 hole, are there to protect a goalie's knees when they drop into the butterfly position. When you actually play the position, your comments about what current goaltender's concerns "might" be might hold some weight, but until then, you sound like a disgruntled fan trying to glom onto what they think will make whatever irks them"better".

Or, I'm parroting what actual goaltenders who are now announcers are saying. But feel free to psychoanalyze me to your heart's content.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm going to agree with ex-professionals over a beer league goalie.

Edit - and you didn't address my point of what has happened with save percentages. Journeymen now hit what Roy and Brodeur managed. Active goaltenders are pretty much the only people who think that the pads aren't too big. And with today's technology - they simply do NOT need to be that bulky for protective purposes.

Second edit - like this guy, maybe.

Hall of Fame goaltender Patrick Roy says nets should be bigger and equipment should be smaller.

"I think it's a good idea," said Roy, the coach of the Colorado Avalanche. "I think it will help the scoring. I would think about getting the goal posts a little bit smaller [which] will make a huge difference, and if every time it hit the post or crossbar it goes in, it's already a lot of goals."

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/1...roy-says-nets-bigger-goalie-equipment-smaller

Last edited:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
We are toast vs fast teams and not that good vs other.

With all the ''we have to turn it around now'' talk, we are behind Buffalo and Philadelphia in the standings. If they win their games to match our played games amount, Toronto and Carolina will surpass us too. It says something...

Jon-snow-sad-gif.gif

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
We are toast vs fast teams and not that good vs other.

With all the ''we have to turn it around now'' talk, we are behind Buffalo and Philadelphia in the standings. If they win their games to match our played games amount, Toronto and Carolina will surpass us too. It says something...

Jon-snow-sad-gif.gif

You know nothing Jon Snow

Papaspud

Vatman
Dec 19, 2008
To the rescue
Or, I'm parroting what actual goaltenders who are now announcers are saying. But feel free to psychoanalyze me to your heart's content.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm going to agree with ex-professionals over a beer league goalie.

Edit - and you didn't address my point of what has happened with save percentages. Journeymen now hit what Roy and Brodeur managed. Active goaltenders are pretty much the only people who think that the pads aren't too big. And with today's technology - they simply do NOT need to be that bulky for protective purposes.

Second edit - like this guy, maybe.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/1...roy-says-nets-bigger-goalie-equipment-smaller

Goalie's no longer in the League, facing shots want equipment made smaller? Color me surprised! Roy doesn't have any records he doesn't want broken does he? Right. Another "Appeal to Authority".

And as for Hazy? He was a meatpuppet as a goalie, and his Jennings were "earned" riding the bench behind Roy. Lol. No ax to grind by him whatsoever...

Edit: and goalie coaches, systems, and Defense first coaching might have far more to do with lower gga's than you are giving them credit for.

And yet in all this goalie equipment talk, other teams seem to be able to score enough to win. Do their goalie's wear bigger equipment than ours?

Last edited:

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I don't think the goalie equipment talk has anything to do with our troubles scoring goals. Scoring is down around the entire league. It's a separate issue. It also obviously isn't entirely because of the gear, but it's on the list.

I'm also not sure why previous NHL goalies are being dismissed. They still played at a far higher level than any of us.

It's pretty universally agreed that goalie equipment is too big. That's why the league is still looking at making it smaller. The goal is to cut it down without sacrificing safety, and there are definitely options there. Making things more form fitting likely tops the list. You don't need stuff sticking out.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Didn't even realize Stoner only played 10 minutes. Fowler 26. Manson 16. Vatanen, Bieksa, and Lindholm 22. That's kind of weird.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I'm definitely in the bigger nets camp. I don't think trimming down the equipment will make enough of a difference. It seems like the sort of thing that goalies will adapt to in short order.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
Modern sticks make shots too hard. That explains why all the players much closer to the puck with far less protection are blocking shots without getting hurt for the most part.

Goalies are the biggest babies in the game and far most protected. Tap a goalie on the glove when the puck is loose and they can react however they want without a penalty. Meanwhile I get slashed and hacked every game while skating around people and not **** is called and I don't complain at all because I've dealt with it all my life and it's part of the game.

Goalies complaining about the reduction in pad size is just more whining. Equipment needs to be reduced. I don't know how it's even an argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad