Appreciate Dale Tallon?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Eddie O, if he truly has ties to Viola’s wife or whatever through their horse racing, then I completely expect him to get the job with how our owners operate.

I am curious how he or someone like weekes would do, I mean I wouldn’t trust a failed GM like PC, so I’ll take those two or mellanby over him. Armstrong and futa both sound like solid choices. Draft is in less than 2-weeks, I assume they’ll make a decision by then?

I gotta agree. Eddie seems head runner being Violas friend. Thats the way Panthers operate

Reactions: FrolikFan67

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I feel like a lot of these prospects are very overhyped by Panthers fans

That's how it usually goes. I try not to get excited anymore until they are in the minors at least. But I can't help it I'm on the Deni hype train lol.

Regarding the guys in bold though, we've actually done a pretty good job developing D from late round picks. Weegar, Brown, and Stillman made it and are still improving. Keeper is almost NHL level, if even one of Gildon or Ludvig make it that will be really good for us.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I like the finalists, minus Chia. I would've liked to see Drury interview again but I don't blame him being turned off by our ownership. Idk why everyone is so adverse to Mellanby. He's one of the most qualified candidates out there. He's 31st on the all time games played list. He knows this game in and out, probably has tons of connects around the nhl...

So.

That gretzky fella was a pretty good player. Held some records I believe. Didn't make him a good coach.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Yeah, I'm not excited by any of these names. Some of them, I'd have more of a wait and see type of approach (like Mellanby for example). But, Weekes can learn on the job with some other team. And some of the other ones too.
Maybe if we had a history of success at some point. And the whole franchise wasn't in danger, then we could afford to throw away a few years.
But no. They need to be serious about this. And not get all experimental. We need to get the best we can get. Not the "he could be a homerun, it's worth the risk". We can't afford risks right now.

Reactions: harv33173

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Yeah, I'm not excited by any of these names. Some of them, I'd have more of a wait and see type of approach (like Mellanby for example). But, Weekes can learn on the job with some other team. And some of the other ones too.
Maybe if we had a history of success at some point. And the whole franchise wasn't in danger, then we could afford to throw away a few years.
But no. They need to be serious about this. And not get all experimental. We need to get the best we can get. Not the "he could be a homerun, it's worth the risk". We can't afford risks right now.

One could argue that Tallon was a a safe pick for being the GM but in the end he turned out to be a disaster. You just can't point any of these guys, even some of the ones that are GMs currently, and say that "this guy is a freakin' winner, he gets it how to get it done". You just have to pick a guy and his model whom you believe in instead of just selecting the most impressive resume which is based on a model that worked 10-20 years ago.

Reactions: harv33173 and KW

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Thinking about this...as much as I dislike the current ownership and the obvious nepotism they display, the best case scenario for this team would probably be for them to pick someone they are buddies with. It doesn't matter if we pick the best GM out there, but Viola and co. keep getting in the way, it'll be a disaster. If the next guy they choose is on the same page as the ownership, at least there can be some consistency (hopefully) in how things are being done. That'll be better than going back and forth between different philosophies and ongoing infighting like we've seen over the past...decades?

So if bringing in Eddie O or bozo the clown will mean complete alignment through the management team, I'm all for it. Short of getting real owners, I think that would be the best outcome we can hope for at this point.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
So.

That gretzky fella was a pretty good player. Held some records I believe. Didn't make him a good coach.

What??? No, he wasn't a good coach? So? Mellanby is a good exec and is well respected around the league. What I mean by him being 31st of all time in games played means he has a ton of experience around this league. He's just as qualified as anybody else. Yet some people here would rather hire Joyce or Chayka. Makes no sense.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
What??? No, he wasn't a good coach? So? Mellanby is a good exec and is well respected around the league. What I mean by him being 31st of all time in games played means he has a ton of experience around this league. He's just as qualified as anybody else. Yet some people here would rather hire Joyce or Chayka. Makes no sense.

Well, according to some Tallon is a good exec and well respected around the league so Viola should hire him for another 10 years. I don't really care who in particular the next guy is, just cut this "Gudbransson with #3 pick, Crouse at #11, Marcheese + Smith for a 4th round pick"-shit.

Take another good ol' hockey boy, Jim Nill, as an example. He has done nothing that would indicate that this guy is some wunderkind exec from the Wings-dynasty era but rather a guy who excused himself from working against himself.

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Well, according to some Tallon is a good exec and well respected around the league so Viola should hire him for another 10 years. I don't really care who in particular the next guy is, just cut this "Gudbransson with #3 pick, Crouse at #11, Marcheese + Smith for a 4th round pick"-shit.

Take another good ol' hockey boy, Jim Nill, as an example. He has done nothing that would indicate that this guy is some wunderkind exec from the Wings-dynasty era but rather excused himself from working against himself.

So less experience automatically=better candidate? That's absurd. Mellanby is not Tallon. You are generalizing to the highest extreme here. Mellanby is a lot younger than Tallon. His viewpoints should be as fresh as anybody else out there. Guerin has done a decent job so far for the Wild. Sakic has done a good job with the Avs. Yzerman built the Lightning. These are all guys who have been around the league forever. Those guys are doing well. You can't immediately label Mellanby as something and say he can't have success. The truth is it could go either way.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
So less experience automatically=better candidate? That's absurd.

I didn't say that at all, just on the other post I said that I don't really care about the resume. Most of the ppl in the working life are just building up their resumes for their next job and they don't think for a minute what was it got them there and why, and how things are going to change for the future.

Like the Pens latest two cup winning teams, ppl refer to Rutherford as some mastermind when all he did was that he wasn't numb to the rules changes over the years. My initial thought about Tallon's way of building a team was that he was trying to carbon copy the Hawks team but I'm not sure about that either, the guy was a complete mess.

These good ol' boys are just trying to get the job because they think that their resume impressive and that's all there is to it. How educated about the game you'd have to be that all you can spew e.g. about drafting is "size, talent, character, size, good family...". Not a whole lot, but that's just me.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I didn't say that at all, just on the other post I said that I don't really care about the resume. Most of the ppl in the working life are just building up their resumes for their next job and they don't think for a minute what was it got them there and why, and how things are going to change for the future.

Like the Pens latest two cup winning teams, ppl refer to Rutherford as some mastermind when all he did was that he wasn't numb to the rules changes over the years. My initial thought about Tallon's way of building a team was that he was trying to carbon copy the Hawks team but I'm not sure about that either, the guy was a complete mess.

These good ol' boys are just trying to get the job because they think that their resume impressive and that's all there is to it. How educated about the game you'd have to be that all you can spew e.g. about drafting is "size, talent, character, size, good family...". Not a whole lot, but that's just me.

I still don't understand. So you're saying that all old boys are not good potential candidate s?

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

I'm saying that just because someone played a load of games doesn't mean they will be a good GM.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
What I dont get is Kevin Weekes name popping up. People say he's even lost out there as a tv analyst

Pantherfan12

Jun 26, 2006
Sunrise,Florida
I just hope that whoever is brought in as GM can actually get ahold of this team, and fix it. I don't expect a Stanley Cup next season, but I want to see strong, competitive hockey from game one.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
On a side note, I've been thinking about Viola: this is the year that he could be super important. His business did extremely well during the crisis and that he means he is hurting less than other teams.

What he could to help us is this: let our new GM offer insanely front-loaded contracts, thence increasing the real value of contracts. (A dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow due to inflation, opportunity costs, and investment returns) Maybe we could convince Hoffman to take a super nice deal this way.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
On a side note, I've been thinking about Viola: this is the year that he could be super important. His business did extremely well during the crisis and that he means he is hurting less than other teams.

What he could to help us is this: let our new GM offer insanely front-loaded contracts, thence increasing the real value of contracts. (A dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow due to inflation, opportunity costs, and investment returns) Maybe we could convince Hoffman to take a super nice deal this way.

That is if he feels like doing that. It feels like he treats the Panthers like an investment.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
That is if he feels like doing that. It feels like he treats the Panthers like an investment.
Eh, it's the trade-off this year. In principle, he might be have more of a long-term horizon given how well his business is doing now. (I.e. he might be concerned about payoffs in 3 years not today)

I think the Panthers could do very well economically as a playoff team?

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Agreed. But, does he have any experience in management?
I am on board with the Weekes hire but I just don't see where he's gathered his experience from. As far as I can tell from a little bit of research, he's only ever worked as a broadcaster after his NHL playing career ended.

Other candidates have at least been working in the field for a bit (i.e Mellanby, Futa). Same thiug with Eddie O. Interested in the prospect of both him and Weekes as I value their knowledge of the game, but that doesn't always translate to success as an executive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad