Confirmed with Link: Tallon out, new GM search to begin

Appreciate Dale Tallon?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
All the options listed except Chiarelli and to a lesser extent JFJ are fine, it's really a routine off-season, if he manages to move MM or Yandle the next GM will be a God but i don't see it. I am, like I said before, really expecting a dull off-season letting some veterans walk for the kids and hoping the returning players are a lot better.

Like if they let Hoffman and Dadonov walk but the defense returns to even 2019 level and bobrovsky is 3/4 of the goalie he was in Columbus, theyll be right there next year.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Last edited:
Reactions: MintyFresh88

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
God, please sign Armstrong.

Here’s a snapshot of his moves with St. Louis, the articles from December of 2019, not sure if he made any moves this past trade deadline or not.

https://thehockeywriters.com/doug-armstrong-13-moves-that-brought-the-cup-to-st-louis/

That's the wrong Armstrong. There's Doug, the GM, and Bill, the assistant GM. No relation even tho they share the same surname.

Regardless, I think Billy is probably a good hire but my money is still on Mike Futa.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
He wasn't a disaster before ownership took over in the offseason of 2016. Then because he couldn't fix the disaster, he's disaster. The problem is the people who are doing the hiring need to let the people do their job. The list of names seems like it's evidence that they want someone that will let them interfere. That's the problem. Their "belief" is someone they can tell what to do.
And experience is not a bad thing. Only in hockey do people think it's a "dinosaur" thing, or an "old boys club" thing. Like I said before, there's only going to be one truly happy fanbase at the end of the season. And all the rest of the fanbases will blame the GM and his approach. If you get rid of all of the "dinosaurs" and bring in all new GMs, guess what's going to happen. The same thing except now all of the "new" guys are the problem. "Why can't we get someone with some experience" will be the new mantra all of a sudden.
You get experience through trial and error. They've done a lot of these things the new guys have yet to do. "New" does not = magic. New is not some wormhole that these guys found that the other guys didn't, that turns things around.
Wasn’t a disaster. Went 0-3 on the 2010 first round while passing on a perennial all star like Vladimir Tarasenko and a very good center in Kuznetsov.

gave Dave bolland 5x5.5
Drafted Lawson crouse over Barzal
And those are just the big moves...

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
The fact that 37 people voted yes just blows my mind.

We laymen are just some knuckle-draggers for not to appreciate what a mastermind move it was to sign Bolland to a $5.5milx5 contract.

On some strange level, maybe the Cats deserve to lose. Consistent winning would be such a waste when consistent losing will do just fine.

Reactions: KW

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Just look at TOR.
Unlimited signing bonus money, packed crowds, some recent top 10 picks, some big trades and where have they been in the last 10 years?

BUF, EDM, and CGY are some other big market teams floundering just like us. Between those 5 teams, there is what, two or three trips to the 2nd round?

*long wet fart noise*

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Wasn’t a disaster. Went 0-3 on the 2010 first round while passing on a perennial all star like Vladimir Tarasenko and a very good center in Kuznetsov.

gave Dave bolland 5x5.5
Drafted Lawson crouse over Barzal
And those are just the big moves...
A lot of teams passed on Tarasenko and Kuznetsov. And yes I agree the Bolland contract was bad. And I definitely didn't like the Crouse pick. But you can go through almost any GMs tenure and find bad moves.
But like I said, at the end of the 2015-2016 season this team had a young core that had just won a division, with a good coach. Six years after he announced a 5 year from the ground up rebuild.
Those are the results that I care about. He made some bad moves. But the end results were good.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Anyone who was happy with Tallon shouldn't have no issues with the prospect of Chiarelli at the helm: both managed to get a dish out toxic contracts left 'n right, made totally idiotic trades, couldn't identify talent in the drafts, etc but "the results were good" aka managed be a first round playoff exit.

Reactions: Beezeral

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
A lot of teams passed on Tarasenko and Kuznetsov. And yes I agree the Bolland contract was bad. And I definitely didn't like the Crouse pick. But you can go through almost any GMs tenure and find bad moves.
But like I said, at the end of the 2015-2016 season this team had a young core that had just won a division, with a good coach. Six years after he announced a 5 year from the ground up rebuild.
Those are the results that I care about. He made some bad moves. But the end results were good.

The end results were good?

If, in 2010, I said to you "Tallon's gonna be here for 10 years and not win a single playoff series." You'd consider that good?

Reactions: Beezeral

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
That rundown of Doug Armstrong's history above shows this perfectly. He made a bunch of good and bad moves, and in the end all the pieces fell into place at the right time when they went from last in the league to cup winners in half a season. They could have just as well finished in the bottom half and people would hate how much he gave up for O'Reilly.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL

There's a difference between appreciate and thinking he was successful. I think Tallon's goal of building a perennial cup contender here was an abject failure and I also appreciate him for trying. I think he genuinely cared about making it work here. The fact that he failed doesn't make me appreciate him any less.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Why are we here? About drafted players or results?
So the division title, young core, good coach. Who cares Gudbranson was on the team!!!

About both, Draft wasn´t the success, player who signed and give away wasnt that success, also Player on the Team hadn´t that success.
There was a few thing, but when you already stumple on your first Steps, its hard to win the race against Time.

His first Picks doesnt had the succes at all, Drew Shore, Bjugstad, Gudbranson, Quinten Howden, Brickley, Petrovic, McFarland, Grimaldi, Matheson, McCoshen the List goes on.
He said 6 Years, in 4 Years he lost to many Picks for a succesful rebuild.
Jagr trade could be done in January, it was made near TDL, missed PO on 4 Points. bring him in 2 Month earlier in the PO.

Tallon was bad on Draft and Trades in the beginning. He tryed, but it doesnt worked at all. The 2nd try was not even a try at all.

Last edited:

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
There's a difference between appreciate and thinking he was successful. I think Tallon's goal of building a perennial cup contender here was an abject failure and I also appreciate him for trying. I think he genuinely cared about making it work here. The fact that he failed doesn't make me appreciate him any less.
Awww that’s so nice, I still hate him lol. (Really because of the expansion draft.)

Reactions: BeezKnees

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
It's honestly just the expansion draft (and Matheson). If he's fired in 2016 and never brought back he's the dude who got them Luongo, Huberdeau and Barkov, won 2 division titles, a good coach in Gallant, and was unfairly fired. Again, everything goes back to bad ownership.

You're 100% on the Bolland contract, every GM makes bad deals, and again, Bolland had a career ending injury and Florida could have just Ltired him, another bad trade by Joyce. Crouse was bad at where he was picked but is still a good player moved for no reason.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Just listened to Elliotte Friedman's podcast. He basically said ownership is tired of spending tons of money in free agency on busts. So we're looking for a GM who has a strong background in scouting and development because drafting/developing (if done right) is much more cost effective. We basically had 0 players on elc that made a difference for us this year and that really hurts us.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Just listened to Elliotte Friedman's podcast. He basically said ownership is tired of spending tons of money in free agency on busts. So we're looking for a GM who has a strong background in scouting and development because drafting/developing (if done right) is much more cost effective. We basically had 0 players on elc that made a difference for us this year and that really hurts us.
This is the correct thought process and even more important with our cap position. Ten years too late but better late than never

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad