Appreciate Dale Tallon?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Eh, it's the trade-off this year. In principle, he might be have more of a long-term horizon given how well his business is doing now. (I.e. he might be concerned about payoffs in 3 years not today)

I think the Panthers could do very well economically as a playoff team?

That's what I mean, I think there s sone truth to the rumors about him wanting slash salary because of thr disappointment of this season and how these contracts didn't work out. Keep costs low until the Panthers look strong, then spend again. Of course, like you said, the Panthers would be stronger if they lured in top free agents, but it seems like they want to get away from that model. I guess we really don't know though.

Reactions: violaswallet

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Canucks fan here in peace, if Gillis becomes the GM the Panthers will become my new #2, hell maybe even 1.5.

I said in the league board that Gillis' biggest successes with the Canucks were completely changing the locker room dynamic within the first 2 years of him being there and surrounding the Canucks elite players with a supporting caste who could turn them into superstars, 2 things that the Panthers badly need IMO.

Gillis is a cap and spending wizard, the only knock against him was his piss-poor drafting, unfortunately he didn't get to stick around long enough to see his renovated scouting department come to fruition.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Canucks fan here in peace, if Gillis becomes the GM the Panthers will become my new #2, hell maybe even 1.5.

I said in the league board that Gillis' biggest successes with the Canucks were completely changing the locker room dynamic within the first 2 years of him being there and surrounding the Canucks elite players with a supporting caste who could turn them into superstars, 2 things that the Panthers badly need IMO.

Gillis is a cap and spending wizard, the only knock against him was his piss-poor drafting, unfortunately he didn't get to stick around long enough to see his renovated scouting department come to fruition.
We we suck at drafting anyways so he seems like a good candidate.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
We we suck at drafting anyways so he seems like a good candidate.

I doubt he will still be bad at drafting. One thing I can trust Gillis to do, is day 1, absolutely clean house. I mean everybody could be out and he'll bring in all his own guys. The janitors will be looking for new jobs. Gillis likes full autonomy and if people aren't on board, they'll be out on day 1.

If you've seen the movie Moneyball, the scene where Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill threaten to fire the entire scouting staff is what I imagine it's going to be like.

He had to fight an uphill battle in Vancouver, crappy schedule and the worst travel in the league, with the drastically easier travel and no taxes, he'll have players begging to play in Florida.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I doubt he will still be bad at drafting. One thing I can trust Gillis to do, is day 1, absolutely clean house. I mean everybody could be out and he'll bring in all his own guys. The janitors will be looking for new jobs. Gillis likes full autonomy and if people aren't on board, they'll be out on day 1.

If you've seen the movie Moneyball, the scene where Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill threaten to fire the entire scouting staff is what I imagine it's going to be like.

He had to fight an uphill battle in Vancouver, crappy schedule and the worst travel in the league, with the drastically easier travel and no taxes, he'll have players begging to play in Florida.
I already like the sound of him. Hopefully our owners lets him do his thing. Love the profile pic too btw lol.

Reactions: IM Clutcm and Vilam

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
You realize the Panthers consistently have to travel more miles than pretty much every team in the NHL on a yearly basis, right?

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

I liked gillis, wasn't he one of the first to look into sleep science for players because of the weird schedules for the canucks? He seemed pretty thoughtful, wouldn't mind him, but our owners meddle...a lot.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
One could argue that Tallon was a a safe pick for being the GM but in the end he turned out to be a disaster. You just can't point any of these guys, even some of the ones that are GMs currently, and say that "this guy is a freakin' winner, he gets it how to get it done". You just have to pick a guy and his model whom you believe in instead of just selecting the most impressive resume which is based on a model that worked 10-20 years ago.
He wasn't a disaster before ownership took over in the offseason of 2016. Then because he couldn't fix the disaster, he's disaster. The problem is the people who are doing the hiring need to let the people do their job. The list of names seems like it's evidence that they want someone that will let them interfere. That's the problem. Their "belief" is someone they can tell what to do.
And experience is not a bad thing. Only in hockey do people think it's a "dinosaur" thing, or an "old boys club" thing. Like I said before, there's only going to be one truly happy fanbase at the end of the season. And all the rest of the fanbases will blame the GM and his approach. If you get rid of all of the "dinosaurs" and bring in all new GMs, guess what's going to happen. The same thing except now all of the "new" guys are the problem. "Why can't we get someone with some experience" will be the new mantra all of a sudden.
You get experience through trial and error. They've done a lot of these things the new guys have yet to do. "New" does not = magic. New is not some wormhole that these guys found that the other guys didn't, that turns things around.

Reactions: pantherbot

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
You realize the Panthers consistently have to travel more miles than pretty much every team in the NHL on a yearly basis, right?

In the 2017-18 season, the Panthers were #1 in the Atlantic for miles traveled, but it was still roughly equal or less than every single team in the western conference minus the Kings. Also, in 2011 road to the SCF, the Canucks traveled more KM's in their 2nd round series vs Nashville than the Bruins' did in their first three rounds combined, so Gillis knows a thing or two about how to make travel easier.

Something I saw Gillis do that I've never seen Benning do is argue with the league and we'd see game order get changed after the schedule came out because of how crappy time zone hopping was.

I liked gillis, wasn't he one of the first to look into sleep science for players because of the weird schedules for the canucks? He seemed pretty thoughtful, wouldn't mind him, but our owners meddle...a lot.

He was the first one to do sleep science yes, he had Canuck players wearing 24/7 heart monitor wrist bands and using sleep monitor machines at night.

If Gillis' gets the job, it'll be with the promise of no meddling, because he won't want what happened in Vancouver to happen again. He was ready with a long-term rebuild plan in 2013 but ownership said no and after the team missed the playoffs once, they fired him and brought in Benning to be a yes-man and miss the playoffs for 6/8 years under his rule.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
In the 2017-18 season, the Panthers were #1 in the Atlantic for miles traveled, but it was still roughly equal or less than every single team in the western conference minus the Kings. Also, in 2011 road to the SCF, the Canucks traveled more KM's in their 2nd round series vs Nashville than the Bruins' did in their first three rounds combined, so Gillis knows a thing or two about how to make travel easier.

Something I saw Gillis do that I've never seen Benning do is argue with the league and we'd see game order get changed after the schedule came out because of how crappy time zone hopping was.

He was the first one to do sleep science yes, he had Canuck players wearing 24/7 heart monitor wrist bands and using sleep monitor machines at night.

If Gillis' gets the job, it'll be with the promise of no meddling, because he won't want what happened in Vancouver to happen again. He was ready with a long-term rebuild plan in 2013 but ownership said no and after the team missed the playoffs once, they fired him and brought in Benning to be a yes-man and miss the playoffs for 6/8 years under his rule.
I would guess that a major reason for the ownership and Gillis divide in 2013 was that he was given a contract extension in 2012, a year before his deal expired in 2013.

based on everything that occurred since he signed his extension I don’t believe that Gillis would have discussed a rebuild after the 2012 season during his contract negotiations.

While I don’t agree with a lot of the moves of Canucks ownership I can understand that they would feel blindsided by a rebuild plan a year after giving Gillis a 5 year extension. I don’t think you had him a 5 year extension if owner and GM are not on the same page about the direction of the team in the next 3/4 years.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I would guess that a major reason for the ownership and Gillis divide in 2013 was that he was given a contract extension in 2012, a year before his deal expired in 2013.

based on everything that occurred since he signed his extension I don’t believe that Gillis would have discussed a rebuild after the 2012 season during his contract negotiations.

While I don’t agree with a lot of the moves of Canucks ownership I can understand that they would feel blindsided by a rebuild plan a year after giving Gillis a 5 year extension. I don’t think you had him a 5 year extension if owner and GM are not on the same page about the direction of the team in the next 3/4 years.

2012 was after they won the presidents trophy and lost to the cup winning Kings, 2013 was when they barely limped into the playoffs and got swept by the Sharks so they likely foresaw no changes at the time but Luongo and Kesler then both asked for trades to specific teams that summer. Gillis' contract extension was signed in May of 2012, after the Canucks won a second consecutive presidents trophy, so there was no reason to talk about a potential rebuild at the time, only after the team got dumpstered by the Sharks in the post season and then miss the playoffs with Torts, a coach who didn't know how to use players like the Sedins, did the rebuild become evidently necessary.

Since he knew about both players asking for trades all season, I imagine he had a rebuild plan in place throughout the 2013 off-season and the 2014 season, but he was ultimately let go before he could enact them, after missing the playoffs for the first time in his tenure.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
He wasn't a disaster before ownership took over in the offseason of 2016. Then because he couldn't fix the disaster, he's disaster. The problem is the people who are doing the hiring need to let the people do their job. The list of names seems like it's evidence that they want someone that will let them interfere. That's the problem. Their "belief" is someone they can tell what to do.
And experience is not a bad thing. Only in hockey do people think it's a "dinosaur" thing, or an "old boys club" thing. Like I said before, there's only going to be one truly happy fanbase at the end of the season. And all the rest of the fanbases will blame the GM and his approach. If you get rid of all of the "dinosaurs" and bring in all new GMs, guess what's going to happen. The same thing except now all of the "new" guys are the problem. "Why can't we get someone with some experience" will be the new mantra all of a sudden.
You get experience through trial and error. They've done a lot of these things the new guys have yet to do. "New" does not = magic. New is not some wormhole that these guys found that the other guys didn't, that turns things around.

I hope you dont mean that serious, in 2016 it was already clear, that 80% of the 2010-2012 Draft picks doesnt bring it, the later Years on too. That happens all before the new Owner, we was on a rebuild he had a plan, he also choose who "important" they gonna Take, the rest miss it more or less. As a GM, when you recognise your Scouting is bad, then let him scout something else then Prospects.

Sorry the missed rebuild process goes complete on him, you cant say that two Owners make so much mistakes that he doesnt get it together. He f***ed up 5-6 Years in the rebuidl process by a 10 Year plan. How does this belong to the Owner. We placed him out a single Year, new Players comeing in, next Year he came back all Players that was good was kicked out.
Sorry and let be fair after that happend, 50% was done with him and his crazy decisions.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I hope you dont mean that serious, in 2016 it was already clear, that 80% of the 2010-2012 Draft picks doesnt bring it, the later Years on too. That happens all before the new Owner, we was on a rebuild he had a plan, he also choose who "important" they gonna Take, the rest miss it more or less. As a GM, when you recognise your Scouting is bad, then let him scout something else then Prospects.

Sorry the missed rebuild process goes complete on him, you cant say that two Owners make so much mistakes that he doesnt get it together. He f***ed up 5-6 Years in the rebuidl process by a 10 Year plan. How does this belong to the Owner. We placed him out a single Year, new Players comeing in, next Year he came back all Players that was good was kicked out.
Sorry and let be fair after that happend, 50% was done with him and his crazy decisions.
Why are we here? About drafted players or results?
So the division title, young core, good coach. Who cares Gudbranson was on the team!!!

Gaebriel

Jan 17, 2004
DC
I don't get why a sports organization even needs a GM. They should take all the money they want to spend on a GM and re-allocate it to the scouting department.

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Eh, reading more into Gillis, it seems that (a) he is good with getting good players to help a core, but not build a core (good fit for us: our core will be Ek, Barky and Huby who are the same age as the Sedins when Gillis arrived, and (b) he is a bit of an innovator who likes teams, which should fit well with VV and DC's vision...

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
2012 was after they won the presidents trophy and lost to the cup winning Kings, 2013 was when they barely limped into the playoffs and got swept by the Sharks so they likely foresaw no changes at the time but Luongo and Kesler then both asked for trades to specific teams that summer. Gillis' contract extension was signed in May of 2012, after the Canucks won a second consecutive presidents trophy, so there was no reason to talk about a potential rebuild at the time, only after the team got dumpstered by the Sharks in the post season and then miss the playoffs with Torts, a coach who didn't know how to use players like the Sedins, did the rebuild become evidently necessary.

Since he knew about both players asking for trades all season, I imagine he had a rebuild plan in place throughout the 2013 off-season and the 2014 season, but he was ultimately let go before he could enact them, after missing the playoffs for the first time in his tenure.
All true. But I think it came down to egos.

Aquilinis not happy about what they would view as an abrupt change in direction of the team over the course of 1 season. But not fully realizing that there was nothing coming up to help the current aging roster. Time of being elite was over.

Gillis, probably didn’t take ownership for the shortened window. How do you break it to the owner that a year removed from back to back presidents trophies that it’s over in terms of serious contending when it wasn’t on the radar a year earlier?

He moved some draft picks but he has enough picks to still add to the team but that wasn’t an area of expertise for him nor did he bring in new personnel to change the scouting staff.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Reactions: Beezeral

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Eh, reading more into Gillis, it seems that (a) he is good with getting good players to help a core, but not build a core (good fit for us: our core will be Ek, Barky and Huby who are the same age as the Sedins when Gillis arrived, and (b) he is a bit of an innovator who likes teams, which should fit well with VV and DC's vision...

In terms of core building, he never really got the chance to rebuild one as he was brought in to try and take the team to the next level, and then did, but was fired before he had the chance to actually rebuild the team.

All true. But I think it came down to egos.

Aquilinis not happy about what they would view as an abrupt change in direction of the team over the course of 1 season. But not fully realizing that there was nothing coming up to help the current aging roster. Time of being elite was over.

Gillis, probably didn’t take ownership for the shortened window. How do you break it to the owner that a year removed from back to back presidents trophies that it’s over in terms of serious contending when it wasn’t on the radar a year earlier?

He moved some draft picks but he has enough picks to still add to the team but that wasn’t an area of expertise for him nor did he bring in new personnel to change the scouting staff.

Probably, but sometimes that change needs to be made and I think Gillis knew that if they wouldn't let him rebuild, it would just be a crap storm of failing to compete and throwing away futures year after year as a team without any.

There was a good read on him recollecting on everything he wished he would have done, and the primary thing was revamp the scouting team earlier, so on a second try as GM, I think he'd get that figured out very early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad