Tallon’s time is up? (2020 edition)

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
The Bobrovsky deal is a fireable offense, full stop. That contract will be an albatross for the foreseeable future. Tallon has to fall, plain and simple.

go back to the threads this summer, a lot of fans here were drinking the "historic offseason" kool-aid LOL
the only ones not drinking it were a couple of fans here and, well, the rest of the entire hockey world...

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Sad thing is I really doubt they fire him. Ownership got so much shit for demoting him, among other things, that they’re probably afraid to go ahead and fire him and have the hockey media in their face. Seasons not over. For everyone sake they better pull a monkey out of their ass and find a way to squeak in.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Tallon is a pretty good gm, he has his faults just like 99% of gm's. I think pantherbot is right, not many gm's could have done a better job to date given what he had to work with. But it would be fair if he was fired at this point. He's had 10 years and it hasn't worked.

He seemed to pick the right core players, Huby in 2011 when there were 3 or 4 different guys we could have picked at that spot...Barkov turned out better than I think most people thought...Ekblad is a decent #1d. But his core players aren't real big time superstars that hate to lose and will do anything to win. Hey, dems the breaks. He had his shot, it didn't work.

I do think though that he'll get one more year. That's the vibe I get. Hopefully for this franchise's sake he gets it right this time.

Reactions: pantherbot

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
from his wikipage LULZZ

Tallon is also a distinguished golfer, having won the 1969 Canadian Junior Golf Championship and participated in the Canadian PGA Tour. Tallon is also responsible for single-handily ruining the Florida Panthers Hockey franchise by overpaying veteran players and not focusing on team needs.

who did this? :laugh:

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Florida season is over. Even they have many games left I believe that they defence is so mediocre and that is reason why this is done.

same saga continue...

Nooo.. really? Thank you for this eye opening comment. We didn't know that .. smh

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
One thing that has bothered me with Tallon for years has been his ignorance of defense.

The big money& picks go always elsewhere and it shows now pretty badly.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
One thing that has bothered me with Tallon for years has been his ignorance of defense.

Defense doesn't matter when nobody shows up to play.

No one hits, no one is willing to do the dirty work, these guys just don't care. There was next to no effort last night.

The culture in this franchise is the biggest problem and it needs a complete and utter overhaul with significant changes. I am up for trading just about anyone at this point because nothing has worked.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

Now now, he spent big on Yandle and made sure he can’t be moved!

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Tallon is a pretty good gm, he has his faults just like 99% of gm's. I think pantherbot is right, not many gm's could have done a better job to date given what he had to work with. But it would be fair if he was fired at this point. He's had 10 years and it hasn't worked.

He seemed to pick the right core players, Huby in 2011 when there were 3 or 4 different guys we could have picked at that spot...Barkov turned out better than I think most people thought...Ekblad is a decent #1d. But his core players aren't real big time superstars that hate to lose and will do anything to win. Hey, dems the breaks. He had his shot, it didn't work.

I do think though that he'll get one more year. That's the vibe I get. Hopefully for this franchise's sake he gets it right this time.

The expansion draft should’ve been the last straw. I’ll never forgive him for protecting a worthless bum like Bjugstad.

Reactions: MPGA

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Defense doesn't matter when nobody shows up to play.

No one hits, no one is willing to do the dirty work, these guys just don't care. There was next to no effort last night.

The culture in this franchise is the biggest problem and it needs a complete and utter overhaul with significant changes. I am up for trading just about anyone at this point because nothing has worked.

What I don't get is Tallon early on got gritty guys/high effort and even tough guys to help/protect the young guys. Not talking about pure goons but guys that lacked top 6 skill but would play hard every time they stepped on the ice. And we at least tried to get leaders either from the Chicago squad, old Jovo and then Willie.

This team has been under his GM control for 3 years now since that promotion and it's softer than baby shit. I get finding physical guys that can actually play hockey isn't easy but we lack size and toughness from the forwards to the blueline. Even if this team made the playoffs they would get run over in round 1.

Not hating the Dads signing or Hoffman trade as both were clear wins value wise. But we don't have anyone that can crash the net nor do they have anyone that can throw the body when needed in the defensive zone outside of a rookie Stillman who is being overplayed. Too many perimeter players up front.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
What I don't get is Tallon early on got gritty guys/high effort and even tough guys to help/protect the young guys. Not talking about pure goons but guys that lacked top 6 skill but would play hard every time they stepped on the ice. And we at least tried to get leaders either from the Chicago squad, old Jovo and then Willie.

This team has been under his GM control for 3 years now since that promotion and it's softer than baby shit. I get finding physical guys that can actually play hockey isn't easy but we lack size and toughness from the forwards to the blueline. Even if this team made the playoffs they would get run over in round 1.

Not hating the Dads signing or Hoffman trade as both were clear wins value wise. But we don't have anyone that can crash the net nor do they have anyone that can throw the body when needed in the defensive zone outside of a rookie Stillman who is being overplayed. Too many perimeter players up front.

He's brought in guys like Vatrano, Dads (who is actually a pretty physical player), Acciari, Boyle, and there's a couple home grown guys like Weegs and Stillman that add some toughness. But the problem is our core guys aren't playing like that, and it's the core guys that are needed to drive the bus on any successful team.

I still think barkov is injured, we've seen him battle harder. Huber has shown in the past he can mix it up, he has that fire in him, but it's been snuffed out here. Ekblad isn't that kind of player, but he's been effective and doesn't shy away. Matheson is a dumb hockey player, but he's also shown he can be physical, I think the Pettersson thing really rattled him and he hasn't shown that physical side much since then.

The problem is Yandle still has an A on this team. He is still in a leadership position. That has to end. If he is still on this team when next season starts, I'm not watching any games. I won't be able to stomach the stories about him chasing the iron man record. He has to go if this team has any chance of finding an identity that requires hard work and grit.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

ProjectPanthers

Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Yandle absolutely needs to go. But he is far from the only problem, but moving him will help start pushing the culture into what the team needs it to be.

Seeing him not go into corners and play extremely safe hockey is a terrible example for anyone coming into this league.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

He’s not a pretty good GM. Results say otherwise. He should be fired the day after the season. He was not the guy to get Chicago over the hump. He may be the person to assemble the foundation but he’s not the guy to finish the job.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
our “defense” gets a lot of blame but our forwards don’t help out enough and our bigger issue is team defense. We also haven’t had enough offensive zone puck possession so our defense is put under too much pressure and eventually breaks or makes mistakes and everyone is like our defense sucks! But a huge factor is our forwards and their inability to keep the puck in the offensive zone. Plus poor neutral zone play/turnovers.

ProjectPanthers

Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
our “defense” gets a lot of blame but our forwards don’t help out enough and our bigger issue is team defense. We also haven’t had enough offensive zone puck possession so our defense is put under too much pressure and eventually breaks or makes mistakes and everyone is like our defense sucks! But a huge factor is our forwards and their inability to keep the puck in the offensive zone. Plus poor neutral zone play/turnovers.
Yes agreed. Our possession numbers are awful. We don't ever hold on to the puck anymore. We use to at least circle back with the puck to try another break in but now they just give it up so easily.

Q preaches a possession game but how is he coaching this team because I see no examples or systems in place to promote possession heavy hockey. The Leafs had the puck the entire friggin game last night! We chased them all evening and our team speed is actually better than theirs!

Reactions: RainingRats

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Yandle absolutely needs to go. But he is far from the only problem, but moving him will help start pushing the culture into what the team needs it to be.

Seeing him not go into corners and play extremely safe hockey is a terrible example for anyone coming into this league.

You're right, but there's nothing to do with the culture of this team if Yandle remains, there's no point.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Tallon was good enough to give us hope, but bad enough to squander all the good moves he was making along the way. There are a few things that highlight the Tallon era and why this team never manage to take the next step; a failed 2010 draft, continuous UFA mistakes, expansion draft fiasco. We were loaded with picks during the 2010 draft and it was an abject failure. A draft that was suppose to be the foundation of this team, never was. Even without tweaking that failure of a draft, this could very realistically have been our lineup coming into this season. It would have fitted under the cap, even with Bob.

Huberdeau-Barkov-Dadonov
Marchy-Tro-Smith
Vatrano-Acciari-Hoffman
Mamin-Lammikko-Sceviour

Chiarot-Ekblad
Matheson-Weegar
Yandle-Stillman

It's time to move on and get a guy that will get the players that can work Q's system. We are stuck with Q for a while, so we might as well go all in with what he wants.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Dale Tallon has made some big mistakes here, but you have to give the guy credit for working under very difficult circumstances with bipolar ownership that has occasionally meddled with hockey ops and screwed up the last successful team he assembled. I don't think anyone here was upset at what Tallon did in the offseason, it just didn't turn out well because Bobrovsky didn't come as advertised and the defense somehow got worse.

Ultimately, the goals against average we're rocking right now is the reason we're in this mess.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I don't buy the "it was a tough situation" argument. Tallon is a professional general manager, he makes the big bucks to deal with difficult situations. The fact that Tallon failed is on him.
I want him fired because it's been long enough but it's honestly more on the players. Everyone had this team in a playoff spot, and there were no injuries, the execution just isn't there.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I want him fired because it's been long enough but it's honestly more on the players. Everyone had this team in a playoff spot, and there were no injuries, the execution just isn't there.

I've become to be numb to this argument. There's several teams on a playoff spot that had to overcome numerous injuries to key personnel. Good teams just find a way to win.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Who could realistically replace Tallon and do a good job here? Pronger? I don't know anything about what he's done.

And don't just say any random guy could come in here and do better, because that is what gets you Chiarelli.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad