Talk me off the ledge about Trevor Lawrence

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Whenever I think about Trevor Lawrence, I remember how everyone was glad he didn’t end up on the Jets for the exact reasons he’s underachieved with the Jaguars. I lol’ed then and still do so now.

He’s simply ok right now. Here’s what I’d say: draw a line through last year with how obvious the shit show that was. He may as well been injured. This his rookie season. His current head coach and QB coach presided over Carson Wentz having an MVP-caliber season before winning a Super Bowl with Nick Foles, and they didn’t have a Stefon Diggs.

For me, I wanted him in Duval because I figured he would be their last line of defense for keeping the franchise there. A hyped generational talent at the QB position was exactly what was needed.

As it turns out, Meyer unsurprisingly was not a leader of grown men and stunted his first year. He's looked better since Urban got fired but the team is still not very good.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
For me, I wanted him in Duval because I figured he would be their last line of defense for keeping the franchise there. A hyped generational talent at the QB position was exactly what was needed.

As it turns out, Meyer unsurprisingly was not a leader of grown men and stunted his first year. He's looked better since Urban got fired but the team is still not very good.
Your trepidations in terms of the team moving or not are yours to have, I just don’t see how it is connected to Lawrence. When Shad Khan starts eying a new stadium (which ain’t far off but there isn’t much sign he has yet), who is on the team won’t have anything to do with it.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Poor game for Lawrence in London today

At this point Lawrence looks a lot worse than Bortles did at this point in his development and not much if at all better then Gabbert

Jag fans should be concerned

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
The only argument in his favor you can make is that last year was such a trainwreck with a coach who was a complete disaster that this should be viewed as his rookie season.

This guy was hyped like McDavid and Crosby. Fanbases prayed and begged for their team to lose to get him. It's amazing we are here.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Allen was not a polished passer in year 2. I remember how the BIlls beat Dallas. It was with his legs and the passing was barely even a dimension for him.

Agreed, but Lawrence was expected to enter the league as a more polished passer than Allen, so I’m not sure the two players are a great comparison.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The only argument in his favor you can make is that last year was such a trainwreck with a coach who was a complete disaster that this should be viewed as his rookie season.

This guy was hyped like McDavid and Crosby. Fanbases prayed and begged for their team to lose to get him. It's amazing we are here.

Also, while Meyer was a disaster and undoubtedly had an extremely negative effect on Lawrence and the Jaguars, he wasn't the only coach in the building. There are other coaches in there who know what to do and have been in the league for years. 'It's his rookie season because Meyer!' has a little bit of merit but not that much. OTOH, he seems like a good dude and you'd want him to succeed and we can't lay all his problems off on Meyer.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Also, while Meyer was a disaster and undoubtedly had an extremely negative effect on Lawrence and the Jaguars, he wasn't the only coach in the building. There are other coaches in there who know what to do and have been in the league for years. 'It's his rookie season because Meyer!' has a little bit of merit but not that much. OTOH, he seems like a good dude and you'd want him to succeed and we can't lay all his problems off on Meyer.
Lawrence is supposed to be as good as Herbert was in his rookie to sophomore season. Came out of a better program and better weapons. But he hasn’t performed as well as Herbert.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Jets fans were on a ledge missing out on Lawrence, but it doesn’t matter because Wilson has been just as bad. At least Lawrence doesn’t react to his bad plays with “I was bored lol”.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It feels like he needs a big threat receiver that he can rely on, and it wouldn't be a bad idea for the Jags to build on that OLine.
Not sure who else is out there at WR this coming off season. AJ Brown was in division and he went for a mid first. Have to step up like Buffalo did with Diggs.

Who else is in an Adams, Brown, Diggs, Hill situation coming up this off season?

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Not sure who else is out there at WR this coming off season. AJ Brown was in division and he went for a mid first. Have to step up like Buffalo did with Diggs.

Who else is in an Adams, Brown, Diggs, Hill situation coming up this off season?
Adams

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That would be a dead cap hit of $31.4 mill if they move off him in the off season. Jags first is going to finish in the top 10. Raiders gave around the 20th first and a second for him. Is a top 10 pick worth it for the raiders as well as eating that dead cap?

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
That would be a dead cap hit of $31.4 mill if they move off him in the off season. Jags first is going to finish in the top 10. Raiders gave around the 20th first and a second for him. Is a top 10 pick worth it for the raiders as well as eating that dead cap?
I was half kidding but i bet he and everyone wants out of there real bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad