Proposal: take pity on noobs

Quaider*

cliquey? you're new to a board where people have been members for years. I would expect you would treat this like any social situation. you'd politely ease in and act respectable. If you were in a bar with a new group of people, would you start flexing your muscles and talking loudly and over everyone? no.

and yes, a lot of people here do know each other quite well. But that doesnt mean there isnt room for more well thought, well researched discussions. you've learned very quickly that people are serious about the sport here. Believe me, I am a girl following a predominantly guy's sport. ...you do not come into a discussion without somewhat knowing your sh it. you will get eaten alive.

So, rule to live by: Be polite. be respectful. show that you are a true fan with lots of knowledge. you'll do just fine-and I am looking forward to your posts.

ps. maybe that fact that you "expected" to be treated badly lead you to get that treatment. expect more for yourself and you'll be treated just fine.
Wondering where I was not polite and respectable? I never said I expected to be treated badly. I said I was not surprised by the obvious clique mentality.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The mentor program we're looking at involves rookie posters moving in with some of the more seasoned veterans for a week. They will eat what they eat, sleep when they sleep and watch what they post. Then they will get limited posting privileges (4th line minutes) until they earn the coach's trust.

Fine.
But if their ball lands on my lawn, I'm keeping it.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
A few thingsd to consider while posting here

1) Would you want your best friend to see what you're about to post
2) Does it add to the thread you're posting to
3) Take about 10 seconds and really READ what you're about to post
4) Finally, a lot of the time, you're going to be taken down a few pegs no matter what you say anyways.

I like this

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
Been on here for about a year & no complaints. Everyone is pretty respectful and for the most part knowledgeable.

I have only created one new thread in that entire time, & I still don't feel that qualified to do so. I think if you are new to anything, it's best to get your bearings first & remember not to act like you own the place.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
chortle.

i'm sorry but i've got to laugh, there are more than a few hypocrites in this thread. i read this board for years before signing up, before posting and i'm recently back from a sabbatical of posting, but some of you either need to share the drugs you're obviously taking or you're content lying to yourself.

if you're offering advice, you should be damned sure you're going to take the same kind of consideration with your posts.

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
i'm sorry but i've got to laugh, there are more than a few hypocrites in this thread. i read this board for years before signing up, before posting and i'm recently back from a sabbatical of posting, but some of you either need to share the drugs you're obviously taking or you're content lying to yourself.

if you're offering advice, you should be damned sure you're going to take the same kind of consideration with your posts.

Good point, but if it helps them sleep better at night, so be it. And if I'm one of them, I apologize and will try to do better in the future. We're all Bruins fans and it's always easy to be a hero in front of a keyboard when you're anonymous and invisible.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I'm kind of surprised by this topic, actually. This board has to be one of the most civil sports boards on the internet. I've said my share of things that people may not agree with, but have always felt people respond in a respectful manner when disagreeing with me. Sure, sometimes people act a little too butthurt over a disagreement in the heat of an argument, but then again this a hockey forum, not a Quaker meeting house.

DanceswithBeavers

Jan 4, 2012
Orlando, Florida
It helps to:

1. Not have thin skin.
2. Not to take yourself too seriously.
3. Realize the fastest route to the best answer is often grinding opinions against each other.
4. Take gawyuks with a grain of salt.

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
I think it would help considerably if there were a waiting period that new members had to get through before they are allowed to start a thread ... This way, they know what is expected around here before they go starting a thread for every question and drunken thought they have ....

Maybe a 6 month introductory phase before they are allowed to post new threads? Sure would clean up the board and take away the sarcastic and rude responses (some of which are justified, by the way)...

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
The poster on the first page that mentioned phrasing of a question or argument, nailed it on the head.

Instead of getting mad when someone disagrees with you, why not attempt to learn why someone would disagree with whatever question / topic was being discussed? This rule of thumb can be applied in all forms of disagreement, instead people usually chose the emotional response which very rarely ends with a positive outcome. So the moral of the story here is to lurk, learn, lurk some more, question if whatever you are about to post could be phrased better, don't take yourself too seriously, explore all options within yourself before posting etc.

Often times, when someone is seen to be "taking a shot at another poster," they're really just trying to bring humor to the table under the assumption that the receiving poster wouldn't take it so seriously / not have such thin skin. Unfortunately, this is an online forum and the tone of a post doesn't play into the equation and that is where proper phrasing / emoticons could possibly be the great equalizer.

:sarcasm:

Bone for your jar

Feb 2, 2011
Boston, Mass.
I think it would help considerably if there were a waiting period that new members had to get through before they are allowed to start a thread ... This way, they know what is expected around here before they go starting a thread for every question and drunken thought they have ....

Maybe a 6 month introductory phase before they are allowed to post new threads? Sure would clean up the board and take away the sarcastic and rude responses (some of which are justified, by the way)...

I don't know, I feel like that would penalize (and possibly drive away) those new posters who are perfectly able to formulate a well thought-out new thread from day one.

At the risk of adding to the mods' workload, how about if, when mods see a thread title and opening post that just seems to beg for snarky zings, that they delete it and ask the poster to reformulate it?

Take the Seguin Ruined by Switzerland thread as an example. My guess is that thread could have turned into a more fruitful discussion if (a) the OP proposed that Switzerland caused a "setback" in Seguin's development, rather than "ruining" it (which sounds permanent, irreversible); (b) proposing at least some theory as to why Switzerland would have such an effect; and/or (c) acknowledging how small the sample size is that we're being asked to draw conclusions from (3 or 4 games this season).

Most of us might still have disagreed with the suggestion that Switzerland set Seguin back (even temporarily), but I truly believe the overall tone and value of the thread would have been quite different. Notice, this improvement would not require that the poster gain more knowledge of hockey per se; it would just entail a bit more attention to the things that promote good discussion.

So yeah, I'm all for cutting noobs a little slack (but then, I'm a softy by nature)... but I think noobs should also not get too ruffled if they get snarky comments: often those comments, rude and crude though they may be, are the best feedback they'll get about how they're coming across, and how they should put a bit more thought into their words.

Allright, peace and love everyone.

Last edited:

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
The poster on the first page that mentioned phrasing of a question or argument, nailed it on the head.

Instead of getting mad when someone disagrees with you, why not attempt to learn why someone would disagree with whatever question / topic was being discussed? This rule of thumb can be applied in all forms of disagreement, instead people usually chose the emotional response which very rarely ends with a positive outcome. So the moral of the story here is to lurk, learn, lurk some more, question if whatever you are about to post could be phrased better, don't take yourself too seriously, explore all options within yourself before posting etc.

Often times, when someone is seen to be "taking a shot at another poster," they're really just trying to bring humor to the table under the assumption that the receiving poster wouldn't take it so seriously / not have such thin skin. Unfortunately, this is an online forum and the tone of a post doesn't play into the equation and that is where proper phrasing / emoticons could possibly be the great equalizer.

:sarcasm:

I likes this.. I think the emoticons is a good equalizer, exactly. When we use text messages, emails to communicate and express ourselves, remember without seeing body language facial expression etc sometimes we don't know how they may have meant it. So seeing that little emoticons does help communicate. I understand that some of you are friends and even know each other in the real world, but I imagine the majority here have never met one another. No face to go with that avatar.. By the way that avatar to you're left, that be Me :=)

2 much :partytime: time for bed.

Last edited:

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Just a little rookie hazing...There are some jerks but most people are nice

I never really had any issues save for like one argument with KnightOfBoston a long time ago about preseason rosters of all things, but for the most part if you are respectful people will be nice

I will agree sometimes certain posters make their attacks personal if you say something they dont like, but I wont name names.

And this is like a haven compared to the outside world of HF boards. The NHL main thread is kind of a **** show sometimes and the Lounge has its share of ****** bags

774coach

Nov 14, 2005
I can't even tell you how many years I've been a member here and visit many times a day, but after a few dust ups early on, and seeing how some people get put through the ringer here, i just come around and read what everybody else has to say now ......... ! I get why it happens sometimes, like say someone suggests we trade our brass for another teams gold, but if someone we're just daydreaming who are they really hurting ? oh we'll, i find it interesting nonetheless ........... especially around trade time ! Thank god the season didn't get canceled friends and have a great Sunday

Killerbeez

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Ellsworth, Maine
none
Six months is probably too long. How many of us would have stuck around that long? Two weeks or a month seem more reasonable. The holier than thou attitudes can get a little tired at times but the fact is that there is no better place out there to learn and discuss hockey.

chippa13*

If noobs want a great person to follow I would follow me....

Kind of the real deal

Just ask KSP

Better title to the said thread should have been "Did Seguin ruin the swiss league?"

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
Six months is probably too long. How many of us would have stuck around that long? Two weeks or a month seem more reasonable. The holier than thou attitudes can get a little tired at times but the fact is that there is no better place out there to learn and discuss hockey.

The posters who contribute quality would stick around, because they would be able to engage in worthy conversation in threads that have already been created. The ones who are here to express their quick, off-the-wall knee-jerk reactions might find it a bit tougher to get the reactions from other posters that they're looking for since their posts will be amongst those that are on-topic (mostly) in an already up-and-running thread. Much easier to see a thread with a ridiculous title (like "Did the Swiss League Ruin Seguin") and dole out that "free punch" to the noob than to scour the entire board looking for their one moronic post that would otherwise be buried amongst hundreds and thousands... But since they have the power to, they felt entitled to start a thread about it.

It's like getting a learner's permit before you get a driver's license. And I'm pretty sure that it can be automated, so there would actually be less work for the mods cleaning these messes up. Gotta crawl before you can walk ...

I thought 6 months was pretty liberal ... Originally, I was thinking 1 year :laugh:

Bone for your jar

Feb 2, 2011
Boston, Mass.
The posters who contribute quality would stick around, because they would be able to engage in worthy conversation in threads that have already been created. The ones who are here to express their quick, off-the-wall knee-jerk reactions might find it a bit tougher to get the reactions from other posters that they're looking for since their posts will be amongst those that are on-topic (mostly) in an already up-and-running thread. Much easier to see a thread with a ridiculous title (like "Did the Swiss League Ruin Seguin") and dole out that "free punch" to the noob than to scour the entire board looking for their one moronic post that would otherwise be buried amongst hundreds and thousands... But since they have the power to, they felt entitled to start a thread about it.

It's like getting a learner's permit before you get a driver's license. And I'm pretty sure that it can be automated, so there would actually be less work for the mods cleaning these messes up. Gotta crawl before you can walk ...

I thought 6 months was pretty liberal ... Originally, I was thinking 1 year :laugh:

I don't think this board would be as entertaining if it were that tightly controlled, with six-month waiting periods and the like. So what if we get the occasionally outrageous and absurd opening post? Isn't that part of the fun? I don't feel like the quality of the Bruins board discussion is so low that it needs to be made more exclusive. There's a good mix of solid analysis with silly, IMO, and I actually enjoy some of the silliness (and the silly responses it elicits). Just leave it be. As we can see from this thread, the community has a pretty good ability to self-regulate, and plenty of peaceniks among the aggros.

Miroslav Klose*

Just wanted to say thanks to all those who supported me and especially to those who PM'd me. I did read those messages, and they were very helpful.

Secondly, to those who say the thread wasn't so bad.. well, it was. Many extremely insulting posts were deleted. I just prefer if people explain why they disagree with me rather than making short sarcastic arrogant comments and personally attacking me, as a human being.

I will think twice before starting a new thread or even making a new post from now on. I realize that you guys take your hockey very seriously and if someone has a different opinion than yours, you don't take too kindly to that. I will try my best to conform to all of your opinions. It was a wake up call, and once again I apologize.

Bone for your jar

Feb 2, 2011
Boston, Mass.
Just wanted to say thanks to all those who supported me and especially to those who PM'd me. I did read those messages, and they were very helpful.

Secondly, to those who say the thread wasn't so bad.. well, it was. Many extremely insulting posts were deleted. I just prefer if people explain why they disagree with me rather than making short sarcastic arrogant comments and personally attacking me, as a human being.

I will think twice before starting a new thread or even making a new post from now on. I realize that you guys take your hockey very seriously and if someone has a different opinion than yours, you don't take too kindly to that. I will try my best to conform to all of your opinions. It was a wake up call, and once again I apologize.

I do often forget that mods shield us from reading some of the nastiest stuff.

It's big of you to apologize, but I really feel it's not necessary. Everyone who clicked on your thread did so of their own volition, and nobody was harmed by it. You didn't insult or offend anyone. If anything, a good discussion has come out of it, thanks in part to the stand-up way you've responded.

I hope you stick around.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3