Proposal: take pity on noobs

Nightslyr

Mar 26, 2002
NH
There's also a difference between asking questions that deepens one's knowledge and asking questions that are farfetched. Look at someone like EEasy/Afam. It's abundantly clear that he's new to the game, but instead of pondering whether Bourque is getting preferential treatment or if Seguin is now ruined, he's asking about average ice time and how many points is considered a good season for a player.

He's been generally well received because he shows a true interest and excitement in learning the game and isn't trying to do it through flights of fancy or echoiing what he's heard from Felger or KPD.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I think sometimes it's a simple matter of phrasing.

"Did Playing in Switzerland Ruin Seguin's Development" is a pretty devastating headline topic. I think anyone with a grasp of hockey knowledge understands that two months of playing in a different system is not going to completely dismantle the talents of a very talented, up and coming star. "Ruin" implies Seguin's career is ovah.

Now, perhaps "Can Seguin's slow start be attributed to his time in the Swiss League?" is probably is a better way of inviting reasoned discussion. It's more open-ended and less incendiary.

Part of that is reading and taking in the kind of responses one sees to similar questions posed throughout the board.

I remember when I was a kid, my mom always told me to listen first, and then talk. That's sort of a good rule of thumb. Figure out what language the locals speak so you can be understood when you talk to them.

Indeed, there's a helpful way to do it and a not-so-helpful way. It is the internet. There's a degree of arseholery in every corner.

This exactly.

The rule of thumb for any Internet forum, IMHO, should be lurk before you join. Lurk, lurk, lurk. As Kovi said, it's like joining a party, or a community. Survey the lay of the land before making a statement.

bigbadjohn

Dec 23, 2009
this is common in all message boards. people assume cliques. i've known some people for years. it's not a clique. hell, i've only known their online personas. they don't even know i know them.

kovi and i don't frequent the same bars, but she's right on the rules.

So, rule to live by: Be polite. be respectful. show that you are a true fan with lots of knowledge. you'll do just fine-and I am looking forward to your posts.
[/QUOTE]

bigbadjohn

Dec 23, 2009
valid point.

i was just struck by those who seemed to see that the poster was new and decided that was a great reason to trash him or her, rather than read the question in that light and be a bit forgiving.

i'm suggesting if we see a new poster phrase a question stupidly, we not trash him or her. if people want this place to be a good place for hockey talk, maybe it's just as much up to us as it is to the noobs.

There's also a difference between asking questions that deepens one's knowledge and asking questions that are farfetched. Look at someone like EEasy/Afam. It's abundantly clear that he's new to the game, but instead of pondering whether Bourque is getting preferential treatment or if Seguin is now ruined, he's asking about average ice time and how many points is considered a good season for a player.

He's been generally well received because he shows a true interest and excitement in learning the game and isn't trying to do it through flights of fancy or echoiing what he's heard from Felger or KPD.

Si Hopkins

Dec 8, 2007
Easthampton
magichelicopterpress.com
Really happy for this thread. Makes so much sense to fight for higher standards.

This might be a small point, but I'd like to advocate that we all remove or at least think twice before whipping out:

:shakehead

&

:help:

& most especially

:facepalm:

These emoticons in place of language are the highest form of laziness. It kills discussion and makes you seem like a serious a-hole. Challenge the idiocy by modeling your sharp, message board-experienced brain in favor of these horrible, soul-crushing faces. Challenging people to be better won't always work, but at least you're aiming toward something more community-based. Or something.

Shadowthrone

Zombies Welcome
Sep 24, 2006
Franconia, Germany
Really happy for this thread. Makes so much sense to fight for higher standards.

This might be a small point, but I'd like to advocate that we all remove or at least think twice before whipping out:

:shakehead

&

:help:

& most especially

:facepalm:

These emoticons in place of language are the highest form of laziness. It kills discussion and makes you seem like a serious a-hole. Challenge the idiocy by modeling your sharp, message board-experienced brain in favor of these horrible, soul-crushing faces. Challenging people to be better won't always work, but at least you're aiming toward something more community-based. Or something.

You have a point.
I'll try to avoid the "negative" emoticons from now on. But then my post with emoticons wasn't nearly as unpolite, ignorant or lazy as the deleted response from the OP without.

Well, no hard feelings, somebody might just have had a bad start into the day.:)

8spokesontheB

Cry Havoc!
Dec 24, 2008
Amen to this! I started a topic the other day and my thinking was that Chris Bourque was getting odd, preferential treatment from Claude including PP and SO as well as a questionable regular shift.

I was laughed at, had my sanity questioned and even accused of having an agenda against Chris Bourque, a young man that I've never even met!

I expected some of this treatment and have noticed that the board is a little "cliquey", if you will. I really am enjoying it so far despite this and have become quite addicted to reading the overall vast knowledge of the folks on this board in general. :)

Indeed it is, or it may seem that way. Certain posters seem to point out join dates/posting counts to diminish an idea or argument that they don´t agree with, or will generalize in the negative about ¨new posters¨.

You find this in all walks off life and it is nothing more than blowing smoke. Pay it no mind, it´ll disappear. It´s some people´s way of feeling superior, which is a common human sentiment to aspire to.

Now all of you n00bs get off of my boards!:rant:

Last edited:

8spokesontheB

Cry Havoc!
Dec 24, 2008
I've played in forums where noobs are moderated for a month, or their first 100 posts, stuff like that. Their posts don't see the forum unless a mod clears it. Could be helpful.

That sounds awful, horrible, McCarthy and Big Brother-esque.

This is a forum for Bruins fans to share their thoughts, not share thoughts that a behind-closed-doors ´council´censors for approval.

Some of you are taking this far too seriously, and, dare I say, sinister.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
*taps mic*

Can't we all just get along? Its not hard to spot a new user, so take it upon yourself to be helpful and not condecending. A little bit helps. Whether you've been here for years, or just signed up the one thing in common we have is that we like the B's.

Just show a little love to the "noobs".

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Been posting on Bruins related boards for a looooong time. The date on my account has very little to do with much of anything.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
One of the most difficult things for the Mod staff is to ascertain if the noob is a troll with dupe account or somebody that has earned * and snuck back in. It's no easy task and tough judgement to apply.

The other factors are that there are a population, small but there, that post purposely to be **** disturbers. They are the most antagonizing of all and can drive the Mod staff as well as the general population half crazy. Please realize when something goes down unless you are a Mod you don't have the permissions to read everything that was posted. Missing that can sometimes cause an uniformed conclusion to be drawn too.

For the real noob just trying to break the ice and fit in, since we all went through this, I advise reading an awful lot, posting in existing threads to get acclimated and when starting a new thread try to pick your words carefully to inspire constructive exchange. If you want to learn about the game or prospects or business end of the sport, there are incredible teachers here that will share thoughts in a very positive manner. On the other hand when making a claim or stating something as fact please be prepared to back it up. You will be challenged.

There was a time when this place had no more than a dozen 'regulars' now there are over a hundred that contribute just about daily. So the door does open. It just doesn't happen overnight .

So, if I for one have rubbed anyone the wrong way , please accept my sincere apology.

Going forward I will try to temper myself. Going forward I ask those that want to be a part of this dysfunctional group to please at least think about my advice above.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
*taps mic*

Can't we all just get along? Its not hard to spot a new user, so take it upon yourself to be helpful and not condecending. A little bit helps. Whether you've been here for years, or just signed up the one thing in common we have is that we like the B's.

Just show a little love to the "noobs".

I get what you're saying, but there is a difference between honest ignorance and aggressive stupidity. The former should be (and more often than not is) dealt with patiently. The latter, not so much.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH

This is an absolutely over the top response to the suggestion!

Lots of forums -- lots of them -- use this style of introduction to the ins-and-outs of forum posting for noobs. It's not censorship...it's mentoring. It gives a moderator the chance to provide guidance and pointers on what's an appropriate approach to topic creation, how to search the forum first, and how to post on a topic without causing undue embarrassment or harassment while the noob learns how it all works.

Get a grip, will ya?

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
The problem i see comes from lazy posters that don't read...
They just start a stupid thread for the sake of it. posting out loud with out THINKING.

Then there the posters like the Tuukka for Vezina thread that the only goal is to create a new thread and see their name on the front page, 95% is just junk...they dont care and keep polluting the board.

You have a question? read the threads and 99% of the time you will have your answer.

Totally agree and half the questions or posts can be answered with a google search.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

This is a forum for Bruins fans to share their thoughts, not share thoughts that a behind-closed-doors ´council´censors for approval.

Some of you are taking this far too seriously, and, dare I say, sinister.

I agree. As long a post does not violate board rules people whether new or old should be free to post what they wish whenever they wish to.

Regarding treatment of noobs- Remember we were all noobs once. We've all posted our share of garbage/nonsense [If you check the OT thread you will find some of us still do lol]. For myself I try to make newbies feel welcome until/unless they show they are not worth the effort. IMO we need more people supporting & learning hockey not less.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Something else to consider.....you have a new kind of hockey fan out there who's passioned, rabid, and an intense watcher and learner of the game but maybe doesn't know all the ins and outs because they didnt grow up with the game.

I bring it up as our friend Afam has identified himself as someone who came from another country where hockey really isn't played. Mind you, I don't bring it up on his behalf, as he's clearly showed he's more than capable of doing it himself. I bring it up because I have friends who are recently new to hockey and new to the country where English isn't their first language. Some things can get lost in translation like lingo, but that's learned over time and use. Learners and teachers alike just need to be patient.

Seriously, try explaining the red line debate to a new fan. :laugh:

At least here in Boston Metro, there's a lot of opportunity to grow the fan base by introducing folks to hockey. There's an enthusiasm gap (at least there is to me) in that the Celtics are pretty blah, the Pats are done and the Red Sox are better found on Soap Net for the time being.

Right now, the Bruins are the game in town. It's a perfect time to open the fold and grow the sport, introduce it to new fans.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
How'd you like a walnetto ?

:laugh:

I feel like Artie Johnson

Walnettos are wonderful tasting walnut chews that are individually wrapped. It's a close cousin to Choclettos.

*I'm not close to any of my cousins. pity.

spokedB

Aug 2, 2005
western Maine
I've been involved with a number of e-mail listservs and posted on numerous sites like this. It's very safe to come across as someone Chara's size when you are hiding behind a monitor and keyboard.

New posters have to expect that the long time members will put them in their place if they try to join in a conversation and then (gasp) suggest that all the Bruins problems would not be solved by trading (insert the CW's name of the month here). Suddenly, everyone's a moderator.

Usually I just read, shake my head in wonder and move on to the comics.

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
A few thingsd to consider while posting here

1) Would you want your best friend to see what you're about to post
2) Does it add to the thread you're posting to
3) Take about 10 seconds and really READ what you're about to post
4) Finally, a lot of the time, you're going to be taken down a few pegs no matter what you say anyways.

Quaider*

I was not rubbed in the wrong way seeing as I expected there to be a certain amount of poster a siding with poster b and so on. That kind of thing will always happen. Unfortunately, I think many don't even have their own opinions until they see what their buddy has to say first. Just the way it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad