Proposal: take pity on noobs

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Just wanted to say thanks to all those who supported me and especially to those who PM'd me. I did read those messages, and they were very helpful.

Secondly, to those who say the thread wasn't so bad.. well, it was. Many extremely insulting posts were deleted. I just prefer if people explain why they disagree with me rather than making short sarcastic arrogant comments and personally attacking me, as a human being.

I will think twice before starting a new thread or even making a new post from now on. I realize that you guys take your hockey very seriously and if someone has a different opinion than yours, you don't take too kindly to that. I will try my best to conform to all of your opinions. It was a wake up call, and once again I apologize.

I rolled my eyes upon checking the thread title, mainly because I knew it was coming. But, there's certainly no need to apologize. People post all kinds of stuff all the time. The only bit to add is, don't get personal. If someone "gets all up in your business," ignore 'em. :)

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
This is an extremely well run and informative forum. I think part of it is noobs have to take their lumps if they're going to be involved long term. Lots of new people roll in and post a new topic already being discussed in three other threads. They start off with an extremely loaded and uninformative opinion, and then freak out when the next 3 posts tell them they're wrong and just end up digging myself deeper. The people that learn form this and move on end up being great contributors.
I don't post much compared to many others as I dont have the knowledge most do. But I've been around a few years and posted a thread in the fall about how Haggs got kicked out of practice. i did it as a joke as no reporters had been allowed into that practice and Haggs popularity was at an all time low. But I still took some knocks for it as I hadn't made myself clear and it was deserving and I'm a better person for it.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Some people are here just looking for an arguement or to get a rise out of someone. Its just the way it is. Its the internet. Everyones a tough guy. You can ignore them or respond. But what difference does it make? If you make valid points, some people on here are going to agree and some aren't anyway.

But just like most other topics/areas of discussion, people that disagree chime in more.

Just believe in what you post enough to stand by it and not care.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
There are a lot of posters here that think like this.

images.jpg

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Never mind the noobs, take pity on some of the older posters here. :naughty:

Join date has nothing to do with stupidity or the ability to conduct an intelligent exchange with someone whose opinion differs from yours. To be honest, some of the newer posters here have far more to bring to a discussion than many posters with join dates going back years and years. Basically, the rule of thumb is that you can't fix stupid. If you give respect, you'll get it back. If you come out acting like an asshat, you'll be treated like one as well.

bruins04

Mar 3, 2007
i agree with you OP, but I also am sometimes guilty of it myself. However, it almost always is the content i respond to.

when i was a new member, i would easily be goaded into stupid arguments by trolls. these boards are not exactly rolling out the red carpet for new members. I may be the only one who truly feels this way, but I really don't think we are all that welcoming to newbies. Outside of our own board, I often feel like discussions turn into one of the following:

1.) i'm a bigger fan, been a longer fan, know more about the team fan, etc than you
2.) you don't know anything

I once created a thread about what pose a Thomas statue would be... and i mentioned nothing about it being outside the garden, etc... it could have been anywhere, Vermont let's say. most responses were about why he shouldn't have a statue outside the garden, why this is a dumb post, what needs to happen before this post is relevant...

overall, I wouldn't say any of it was disrespectful though. and if it was, there are tools to handle it and improve the experience. somehow i do end up wondering whether anyone reads what i posted, so yeah... relatively low post count i guess haha for a noob from the '07 batch

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
i agree with you OP, but I also am sometimes guilty of it myself. However, it almost always is the content i respond to.

when i was a new member, i would easily be goaded into stupid arguments by trolls. these boards are not exactly rolling out the red carpet for new members. I may be the only one who truly feels this way, but I really don't think we are all that welcoming to newbies. Outside of our own board, I often feel like discussions turn into one of the following:

1.) i'm a bigger fan, been a longer fan, know more about the team fan, etc than you

I once created a thread about what pose a Thomas statue would be... and i mentioned nothing about it being outside the garden, etc... it could have been anywhere, Vermont let's say. most responses were about why he shouldn't have a statue outside the garden, why this is a dumb post, what needs to happen before this post is relevant...

overall, I wouldn't say any of it was disrespectful though. and if it was, there are tools to handle it and improve the experience. somehow i do end up wondering whether anyone reads what i posted, so yeah... relatively low post count i guess haha for a noob from the '07 batch

I do

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

To answer your question, I guess the pose that comes to mind for me is down on his knees, stick not even close to on the ice, glove over the ass, looking back behind him.

...or raising the cup :)

bruins04

Mar 3, 2007
thanks guys, loving the responses. as a bruins fan in a city where they're hated... every bruins fan i can associate with is a pleasure.

for me, it would be the 'this is sparta' hit on henrik, but can never go wrong with the one raising the cup.

my first post ever went better though! if i'm not mistaken it was the confirmation that looch had made the team out of camp. time really flies...

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
I find there are more issues with the main board areas (ie. prospects, fight forum, NHL Talk) as compared to the Bruins area. The main boards seem to be littered with clowns looking for an argument. I think we have a pretty good community here.

Afam*

I agree with the overall sentiment in the OP, and the response by Marshmontflavor. However, we need to keep in mind that new members are not instantly aware of how this place works. Let's avoid picking on the newbies and scaring them away. We've all started threads or made posts that make sense to us, only go get laughed at. It's not fun.

Think twice, or three times before starting a new topic.

When in doubt, use an existing thread like the GDT. This is a great place to vent about your frustration with certain players, calls, etc.

If you don't have anything to add to the conversation other than poking fun at another user, just don't post.

Ha ha. No one can beat my record of creating 8 threads in One hour and when other posters were directing negative responses towards me, I defended myself and got banned for a few weeks. My first and only infractions ever on a sports forum. Easy on the Newbies people . They don't know the rules.

It takes a while to famarilze yourself with the rules and how the site works.Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Afam*

There's also a difference between asking questions that deepens one's knowledge and asking questions that are farfetched. Look at someone like EEasy/Afam. It's abundantly clear that he's new to the game, but instead of pondering whether Bourque is getting preferential treatment or if Seguin is now ruined, he's asking about average ice time and how many points is considered a good season for a player.

He's been generally well received because he shows a true interest and excitement in learning the game and isn't trying to do it through flights of fancy or echoiing what he's heard from Felger or KPD.

That's very true. Thanks Bro.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Think twice, or three times before starting a new topic.

When in doubt, use an existing thread like the GDT. This is a great place to vent about your frustration with certain players, calls, etc.

If you don't have anything to add to the conversation other than poking fun at another user, just don't post.

This is all good info. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the folks reading this are already (relatively speaking) "non-noobs". A few might be but won't be for long. In another month, and for all the months that lie ahead, more noobs will come along and this post will be long gone, buried underneath piles of other threads. The only way to come upon it is to do what so many noobs do not do: search.

This is why a relatively short term of moderation is a good idea. It will cut down on most if not all of the noob mistake posts, and will be in place for those many more months (and noobs) to come.

Afam*

This is all good info. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the folks reading this are already (relatively speaking) "non-noobs". A few might be but won't be for long. In another month, and for all the months that lie ahead, more noobs will come along and this post will be long gone, buried underneath piles of other threads. The only way to come upon it is to do what so many noobs do not do: search.

This is why a relatively short term of moderation is a good idea. It will cut down on most if not all of the noob mistake posts, and will be in place for those many more months (and noobs) to come.

I agree. wish i did some research before joining. I was post happy and excited. I believe this is what the other noobies are experiencing. That is why its good to lurk, research, and lurk some more.

Last edited by a moderator:

doubleminor138

Call me Snake
Jul 31, 2005
NH
Same stuff every year. I took my licks when I came aboard and complained about Jacobs and thinking Jason Allison was a bum, etc. Got taken down a notch by those with more knowledge and learned a lot by reading more and posting less. Then I became a mod and posted like crazy because I had to. Post count and join date mean nothing, but quality of posts sure does.

Afam*

Same stuff every year. I took my licks when I came aboard and complained about Jacobs and thinking Jason Allison was a bum, etc. Got taken down a notch by those with more knowledge and learned a lot by reading more and posting less. Then I became a mod and posted like crazy because I had to. Post count and join date mean nothing, but quality of posts sure does.

Ha Ha Double. I will say it worked out well for you Now. Look at you. A mod. Lol

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center

Allison was long gone by July of '05.

JJ hatred is forever. :laugh: (that would make a nice Kay Jewelers ad in an alternate universe)

Afam*

DDM. Do you know when i hear back from The Admin on the request i put in?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00