Prospect Info: Syracuse Crunch, Orlando Solar Bears & Prospects

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
assist for Huuhtanen

google translated:
This winter, Tampa Bay drafted Huuhtanen has risen further in the Finnish league, he has scored 13 goals and 32 points in 35 games and is 10th in the scoring league - now it speaks volumes for him to move to Sweden and play in the SHL next season .

According to information to Hockeynews, Rögle and Örebro are two of the clubs that have discussed the Jukurit forward.

Huuhtanen's agent Nils Bäckström:

- It is true that there is interest in the SHL and we are in discussions with clubs.
What could stop a move to Sweden is if the Finn agrees with a club in Switzerland, according to reports, Lausanne has shown interest in the right-wing Finn.

- We are currently in discussions with clubs. Both he and we see the SHL as a good step in his career because he obviously wants to get to the NHL in the future. But we don't have a timeline, we'll see when a decision will be made about his future, says Bäckström.
Huuhtanen's 2 year deal with Jukurit is up at the end of the season.

Rogle is in 12th (out of 14) place in the SHL, and Orebro is 11th.

Lausanne is currently sitting 4th in the Swiss National League

Hard to imagine though that he won't be extended a NHL contract in the spring to join Syracuse.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
assist for Huuhtanen

google translated:

Hard to imagine though that he won't be extended a NHL contract in the spring to join Syracuse.

He better get an NHL contract

Reactions: FinnLightning26

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
assist for Huuhtanen

google translated:

Absolutely no reason not to sign him.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Maybe Merelä gets another shot at some point now that he has his offense going somewhat. He wasn't any worse than our current bottom six.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Goncalves is much better. Joe Carroll is playing better than a lot of the Crunch forwards right now as well.
Merelä is better suited for the bottom six role. I would be really surprised if Coop would play one of the rookies in top six. He'd rather have Motte, Watson or Glendening there or if he could clone Cirelli, we would have six of them in top six.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
This would be my personal rankings at the moment.

1. Isaac Howard / 1st rd - 2022
Even with a less than stellar freshmen year at Minnesota Duluth, he's still comfortably the Bolt's top prospect. His skill, shot, and speed combo stick out in a prospect pool full of guys that lack high end potential. He scored against plenty of college level programs as a 17-18 year old in the NTDP, so his stats as a 18-19 year old don't discourage me. But he knew what he was getting into with UMD's coaching staff and play style, so his transfer out to Michigan State is a little of what concerns me. He already has the offensive ability you can't teach, but what he needed to learn at UMD, was originally in his own words the very reason he committed. So as much as I'd like to see him fast track it to the NHL, if the rest of his game doesn't round out, it won't matter how good he is offensively. This is Coop's infamous "two nets" lesson for former 3rd overall pick Jonathan Drouin.

2. Ethan Gauthier / 2nd rd - 2023
In the words of Al Murray, he has the "whole package." Very different prospect from Howard in that Gauthier said that he wasn't really concerned about his numbers, but wanted to be the most complete player he could be. Gauthier seems like a guy that has soo many tools and lineup versatility, but probably lacks an elite ability in a single area. That said I think we'll be happy if everything comes together in the end. Excited to see what the future holds for him.

3. Lucas Edmonds / 3rd rd - 2023
The 1st half of last season was a struggle, but he seemed to turned a corner in February. He was the Crunch's most improved player of the year award recipient. The development camp scrimmages don't really effect how I view the prospects or how I would rank them, but for Edmonds it does give me a little more confidence that this is all something that will carry over into the beginning of the 2023-24 season. With Simon Ryfors gone, this also puts more weight on Edmond's shoulders to be a go-to guy for Syracuse. I think we'd all like to see him put himself in a position to be somebody who is knocking on the NHL door sooner rather than later.

4. Niko Huuhtanen / 7th rd - 2021
All in all it was a good season for Huuhtanen. Loved some of what he flashed at the World Juniors. Some things that stick out were his 2 points against eventual gold medalist Canada, some of his big boy hits against the US, and what should have been a game winner against Sweden before they blew that lead late in the 3rd. And then he went on to win Liiga rookie of the year. So really hard to ask more than that. He's still a work in progress but I think he's in a good place to keep developing in Jukurit with Olli Jokinen in charge. There is a diamond here if we can keep chiseling away.

5. Dylan Duke / 4th rd - 2021
He was a little underwhelming at the World Juniors imo, but otherwise had a great season on a powerhouse team at Michigan. Doesn't hurt having the game winner against what would be the National Runner ups Minnesota for the Big Ten Championship. The biggest question for Dylan Duke is how far will his size let him go? It's the thing that scared some teams off at the draft, but it is a legit concern for a 5'10" guy who eats, breathes, and lives around the blue paint. He's doing it right now at the collegiate level, but can he do it in the AHL? Can he do it at the NHL level? It's one of those things that you've got to see first. We want to make comparisons to Yanni Gourde, and everyone loves Gourde, but what makes Gourde special is how tough and scrappy he is. It's not easy to do what he does in the dirty areas of the ice. Still remains to be seen if this is something Duke can do too to be successful.

6. Cole Koepke / 6th rd - 2018
Really hard to place on this ranking with how differently his 2022 and 2023 seasons went. We got to see him a good amount in the NHL while Anthony Cirelli was out. His season highlight was probably an open ice hit he had against the Islanders that led to a Nick Paul buzzer beater back in October. Unfortuantely his offense went completely dry in the NHL. That's forgivable as a rookie. But when he went back to the AHL and it continued, that was more disappointing. Comparing his NHL rookie year to Boris Katchouk's rookie year, I really don't think his game was any worse, and Katchouk was able to find a way to carve out a 4th line role. Maybe it's a low bar, but we'll see where he lands this season in what is pretty much a prove it year.

7. Gage Goncalves / 2nd rd - 2021
I think he kinda got overshadowed this season a little by what Ryfors and Barre-Boulet were doing, but he had a good season statistically, and there's still plenty of promise for Goncalves. Maybe the development camp was a little bit of a reminder that he's got some moves. I'm not really sure where I see him in a future NHL lineup, but there's no reason to sour on him at this point.

8. Max Groshev / 3rd rd - 2020
Going back to the 2021 World Juniors, I still really liked what I saw. We'll get a better idea on what his offensive potential is this year, but regardless I do like everything else he has to offer. I wish things would have turned out differently the past 2 seasons with St. Petersburg. It seemed like he was primed for a better opportunity this year after his performance in the Sochi Hockey Open, but it just didn't happen, and with limited information it's hard to tell what contributed to those decisions. You just hope that whatever he missed out on in game experience, there was still plenty salvageable in working out, training, and practicing with professional players that will aid him this season in the AHL.

9. Gabriel Fortier / 2nd rd - 2018
I wouldn't say time's running out for Koepke or Fortier, but there is a real need for one of them to latch onto a spot with the Lightning before someone younger jumps them on the depth chart. I still like Fortier very much. It's hard to move past Coop's "you win with guys like Fortier" quote from a previous preseason. He's a coach's dream. Captain for Baie-Comeau, captain for Moncton, won the Crunch's heart and soul award this season. What he lacks in offense, hopefully he can make up for in intangibles.

10. Hugo Alnefelt / 3rd rd - 2019
I want to put him in the top 10 and I don't want to put him in the top 10. There was a stretch in December where it felt like Hugo would hit his stride, but consistency has been the biggest achilles heel for Alnefelt. You could say that for a lot of young goalies. We can afford to be patient, but I would like to see him finally grab Syracuse's starter role this season, especially with Legace moving out.

halfway through the season, we are doing an update on the main prospect thread. how would your list change? howard was pretty sick at WJC.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
halfway through the season, we are doing an update on the main prospect thread. how would your list change? howard was pretty sick at WJC.
The biggest changes are with new prospects Emil Lilleberg and Waltteri Merela. I didn't know much about them at the time and that made it difficult to rank them, especially having never seen them play a game. 6 months later I feel more confident in evaluating them.

Howard is still the number 1 prospect for the Lightning. Hard to knock him down, especially after the world juniors. Everything has just gone right for him this season. He's bounced back at Michigan State with former NTDP coach Adam Nightingale, and then 7 goals in 7 games + a shootout winner is an incredible stat line at the WJC tournment. Tip of the hat as well to David Carle for reuniting Howard with Nazar and Brindley, who helped him score 6 in 6 games at the U-18s. It doesn't really change how I view him overall or some of the shortcomings in his game, but he did what you wanted him to do, and it continues to confirm what we thought of him as an offensive threat at the draft.

Like Howard, I think Gauthier continues to lock up the number 2 spot. He was somebody that got better as the September prospect tournament went on, and then carried that into a nhl preseason game where he flashed a little bit. In Drummondville he's on his way to surpassing his goal and point totals from last year. Like a lot of the top players in junior, the majority of his peers don't really pose a challenge to him on most nights. He just needs to stay on his path. The next step here is trying to make Canada's world junior team, and because he's able to wear many different hats, that should help his chances.

3. Niko Huuhtanen / 7th rd - 2021
Huuhtanen moves up 1 spot here, but honeslty he could even jump up to #2. Just my own personal preference to have Gautheir ahead of him, and that's mainly to do with Gauthier being less of a project. There's not really much to say here. Statistically he's blowing up the Finnish Liiga, he earned his first call up to the mens national team, and he will likely get another call in the spring for the World Championships. Again, credit to the work Olli Jokinen and his staff at Jukurit have done so far. Now hopefully the time will come soon where that responsibility is handed off to Joel Bouchard and his staff to finish the job at Syracuse.

4. Waltteri Merela / undrafted free agent
I really like Merela. Maybe not the highest potential, but I believe strongly in him as a NHL player. From July on he was riding a trajectory that was just going up and up. One of the top players at development camp, one of the top players in the September prospect tournament, one of our top young guys in the preseason, made the Lightning out of training camp. He just kept on impressing. Unfortunately like a lot of young guys, he just hit a little bit of a wall. A lot of these young guys have great training camps and preseasons, maybe creating a false misconception about how good the league actual is, but then the game starts to picks up through the first 10 games of the season, and then into November. But Merela is a mature and smart player. His game is already pretty well rounded. He's got size, he can skate, he can play on the pk. He just needs experience. Currently he's on the top line for Syracuse in the AHL, so he's in a good spot to work his way back.

5. Max Groshev / 3rd rd - 2020
We had seen a little bit of Groshev at the world juniors, but his lack of playing time at SKA in the KHL really created a little bit of a mystery at what we were getting here this season. These past few months have done a lot on answering a lot of those questions. Really impressive at the prospect tournament, and flashed quite a bit in the preseason. He's spent some time on Syracuse's top line, and his 9 goals, 18 points in 33 games is not bad either for this being his first time playing in North America. He's smart, he's really fast, and he's got a NHL future if we can be patient.

6. Dylan Duke / 4th rd - 2021
Nothing has really changed for Duke at Michigan. Last seasons top 3 scorers (Fantilli, Luke Hughes, Samoskevich) are gone, but Duke is still producing. Not that there isn't still a great group there with McGroarty, Nazar, Casey, and Brindley rejoing the team with gold medals around their necks. We're just letting time do it's work here, which is what small guys like Duke need before turning pro. When he's ready, he's ready.

7. Emil Martinsen Lilleberg / Arizona 4th rd - 2021 / free agent
Like Merela, Lillberg was another guy I didn't know much about. I saw he played 2 seasons in the SHL, he's been to 3 world championships for Norway including this past year where he played over 23 minutes a game on their top pair (25+ minutes vs Canada) and was awarded top 3 player on his team, and their golden puck award for top Norwegian player of the year. All great, but still hard to rank him without seeing him in action. So far he looks like a steal of a pickup. He played well in the prospect tournament and limited time in the preseason, he's done well in Syracuse, and he looked decent in his first NHL game against Boston, in Boston, one of the top teams in the NHL. He's getting some time right now with the Bolts to gain a little bit of experience and measure how far away he is from being here full time. I don't think he's completely ready yet, but he's the kind of dman who can become a fan favorite for his play style.

8. Gage Goncalves / 2nd rd - 2021
I had wrote for Lucas Edmonds that there was a chance for him to establish himself in the absense of Alex Barre-Boulet and Simon Ryfors, but here's Goncalves leading the team in points without the help of all 3 of those guys. He's never really wowed me in prospect tournaments or nhl preseason games, and maybe that's contributed to his lack of looks in the NHL. Gotta take advantage of those oppertunities, but he's been pretty consistent this season putting points on the board in the AHL.

9. Jack Thompson / 3rd rd - 2020
If Lilleberg is the top left handed defenseman prospect in the pipeline, then Thompson is the top right handed one. You could make a case to swap them in the rankings. The biggest hurdles for Thompson are 1, there's a bigger need on the left side over the right, and 2, the guys on the right (Perbix and Raddysh) bring a lot of the same things to the table as he does. That kind of blocks his path to the NHL for the moment. Otherwise he's developing just fine. Thompson does a good job on the pp for Syracuse, and being the main point getter on their blueline. Not too surprising as that was his bread and butter in juniors. He's also wearing an 'A' for Bouchard and that says a lot as a 2nd year pro.

10. Declan Carlile / undrafted free agent
It's hard for Carlile to stand out next to Thompson and Lillberg. He doesn't have the bite or mean streak of Lilleberg, nor is he as good offensively like Thompson from the blueline in. But he does his job, and defends well, the #1 thing you want in a defenseman. He was on the top pairing with Perbix at the 2022 prospect tournament, and then funny enough kind of slid in really well again next to him the other night against the Minnesota Wild. The litmus test for all young D is turning their back to the play, getting/winning the puck from behind the net or in the corner, and then turning, making a quick decision, and giving a strike to a teammate for a clean breakout. I thought he did that well in his first NHL game. He was a +28 in the AHL last year, +11 so far this year, and he doesn't score a lot. Pucks just don't go in as much when he's on the ice. Nothing wrong with simple, yet effective, but that's how he has to be.

Out of the Top 10:

Lucas Edmonds / 3rd rd - 2022
He got hurt early in the season, he's missed time, it's just kind of been derailing. Jack FInley knows that feeling. On the bright side, there's still half a season left. This ranking in no way reflects how the Bolts feel about him, as I'm sure they're still very high on him. Important to remember that they wanted to sign him as a free agent, and when they found out they couldn't, traded up to get in him in the draft to make sure he was ours.

Hugo Alnefelt / 3rd rd - 2019
The #1 thing I wanted to see him do this season was take hold of the starting job, and that hasn't happened. When Pyotr Kochetkov was there, Kochetkov was cleary the starter. I don't really have a problem with that, but now we're on to Matt Tomkins, and it's been a split net with them both posting pretty similar numbers. If he's going to win a NHL backup job one day, he has to win a AHL starting one first.

Cole Koepke / 6th rd - 2018
He got a little time up with the Lightning again as a callup, he played all right at times, but didn't stand out too much. It's hard coming up, be put on the 4th line, and play a role there, so I get it, but you have to make some sort of impact to warrent sticking around. He just hasn't so far.

Gabriel Fortier / 2nd rd - 2018
He was one of the last cuts in training camp with Barre-Boulet, which lead me to believe he was somewhat close, but it just hasn't lead to anything for him yet. I would have thought he would have been the first guy to get called up, and he hasn't been called up at all. The Bolts like to over-cook their prospects, but as a 4th year pro I feel less confident in his future than I did previously.

Last edited:

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
Huuhtanen moves up 1 spot here, but honeslty he could even jump up to #2. Just my own personal preference to have Gautheir ahead of him, and that's mainly to do with Gauthier being less of a project. There's not really much to say here. Statistically he's blowing up the Finnish Liiga, he earned his first call up to the mens national team, and he will likely get another call in the spring for the World Championships. Again, credit to the work Olli Jokinen and his staff at Jukurit have done so far. Now hopefully the time will come soon where that responsibility is handed off to Joel Bouchard and his staff to finish the job at Syracuse.
I'm incredibly confused as to what's going on with Niko. He had a very good WHL season, yet didn't get any playing time in Syracuse when that season ended. He went back to Finland, had a good rookie pro year and still didn't get signed. He's having a huge year this year and still isn't signed even though we can sign him at any time without impacting his current contract in Finland. There are rumors of him signing in Sweden for next year which adds to the confusion. We signed Gauthier 6 months after drafting him. I'm almost wondering if Huuhtanen doesn't want to sign here.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I'm incredibly confused as to what's going on with Niko. He had a very good WHL season, yet didn't get any playing time in Syracuse when that season ended. He went back to Finland, had a good rookie pro year and still didn't get signed. He's having a huge year this year and still isn't signed even though we can sign him at any time without impacting his current contract in Finland. There are rumors of him signing in Sweden for next year which adds to the confusion. We signed Gauthier 6 months after drafting him. I'm almost wondering if Huuhtanen doesn't want to sign here.
Not every kid that gets reassigned to Syracuse after their junior season ends gets to get in a game. For one, they’re still 18 or 19 years old and might not be ready and two, at that point in the year Syracuse is gearing up for a playoff run. Still important development time to skate and train with the team, meet with coaches, but I wouldn’t read too much into it.

When he went back to Finland, he signed a 2 year deal, which is what he’s still on, and can’t sign a NHL contract until that deal is done. That was the case with Groshev. It’s different for players still in the CHL like Roman Schmidt and Gauthier who have ELCs in their back pocket.

I wouldn’t worry.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Not every kid that gets reassigned to Syracuse after their junior season ends gets to get in a game. For one, they’re still 18 or 19 years old and might not be ready and two, at that point in the year Syracuse is gearing up for a playoff run. Still important development time to skate and train with the team, meet with coaches, but I wouldn’t read too much into it.

When he went back to Finland, he signed a 2 year deal, which is what he’s still on, and can’t sign a NHL contract until that deal is done. That was the case with Groshev. It’s different for players still in the CHL like Roman Schmidt and Gauthier who have ELCs in their back pocket.

I wouldn’t worry.
The Russian Hockey Federation doesn't have a transfer agreement with the NHL, that's why Groshev had to wait until his contract expired before he could sign his ELC.

Huuhtanen could sign his ELC right now while under contract in Liiga since the Finnish Ice Hockey Association has an agreement with the NHL.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The biggest changes are with new prospects Emil Lilleberg and Waltteri Merela. I didn't know much about them at the time and that made it difficult to rank them, especially having never seen them play a game. 6 months later I feel more confident in evaluating them.

Howard is still the number 1 prospect for the Lightning. Hard to knock him down, especially after the world juniors. Everything has just gone right for him this season. He's bounced back at Michigan State with former NTDP coach Adam Nightingale, and then 7 goals in 7 games + a shootout winner is an incredible stat line at the WJC tournment. Tip of the hat as well to David Carle for reuniting Howard with Nazar and Brindley, who helped him score 6 in 6 games at the U-18s. It doesn't really change how I view him overall or some of the shortcomings in his game, but he did what you wanted him to do, and it continues to confirm what we thought of him as an offensive threat at the draft.

Like Howard, I think Gauthier continues to lock up the number 2 spot. He was somebody that got better as the September prospect tournament went on, and then carried that into a nhl preseason game where he flashed a little bit. In Drummondville he's on his way to surpassing his goal and point totals from last year. Like a lot of the top players in junior, the majority of his peers don't really pose a challenge to him on most nights. He just needs to stay on his path. The next step here is trying to make Canada's world junior team, and because he's able to wear many different hats, that should help his chances.

4. Waltteri Merela / undrafted free agent
I really like Merela. Maybe not the highest potential, but I believe strongly in him as a NHL player. From July on he was riding a trajectory that was just going up and up. One of the top players at development camp, one of the top players in the September prospect tournament, one of our top young guys in the preseason, made the Lightning out of training camp. He just kept on impressing. Unfortunately like a lot of young guys, he just hit a little bit of a wall. A lot of these young guys have great training camps and preseasons, maybe creating a false misconception about how good the league actual is, but then the game starts to picks up through the first 10 games of the season, and then into November. But Merela is a mature and smart player. His game is already pretty well rounded. He's got size, he can skate, he can play on the pk. He just needs experience. Currently he's on the top line for Syracuse in the AHL, so he's in a good spot to work his way back.

5. Max Groshev / 3rd rd - 2020
We had seen a little bit of Groshev at the world juniors, but his lack of playing time at SKA in the KHL really created a little bit of a mystery at what we were getting here this season. These past few months have done a lot on answering a lot of those questions. Really impressive at the prospect tournament, and flashed quite a bit in the preseason. He's spent some time on Syracuse's top line, and his 9 goals, 18 points in 33 games is not bad either for this being his first time playing in North America. He's smart, he's really fast, and he's got a NHL future if we can be patient.

6. Dylan Duke / 4th rd - 2021
Nothing has really changed for Duke at Michigan. Last seasons top 3 scorers (Fantilli, Luke Hughes, Samoskevich) are gone, but Duke is still producing. Not that there isn't still a great group there with McGroarty, Nazar, Casey, and Brindley rejoing the team with gold medals around their necks. We're just letting time do it's work here, which is what small guys like Duke need before turning pro. When he's ready, he's ready.

7. Emil Martinsen Lilleberg / Arizona 4th rd - 2021 / free agent
Like Merela, Lillberg was another guy I didn't know much about. I saw he played 2 seasons in the SHL, he's been to 3 world championships for Norway including this past year where he played over 23 minutes a game on their top pair (25+ minutes vs Canada) and was awarded top 3 player on his team, and their golden puck award for top Norwegian player of the year. All great, but still hard to rank him without seeing him in action. So far he looks like a steal of a pickup. He played well in the prospect tournament and limited time in the preseason, he's done well in Syracuse, and he looked decent in his first NHL game against Boston, in Boston, one of the top teams in the NHL. He's getting some time right now with the Bolts to gain a little bit of experience and measure how far away he is from being here full time. I don't think he's completely ready yet, but he's the kind of dman who can become a fan favorite for his play style.

8. Gage Goncalves / 2nd rd - 2021
I had wrote for Lucas Edmonds that there was a chance for him to establish himself in the absense of Alex Barre-Boulet and Simon Ryfors, but here's Goncalves leading the team in points without the help of all 3 of those guys. He's never really wowed me in prospect tournaments or nhl preseason games, and maybe that's contributed to his lack of looks in the NHL. Gotta take advantage of those oppertunities, but he's been pretty consistent this season putting points on the board in the AHL.

9. Jack Thompson / 3rd rd - 2020
If Lilleberg is the top left handed defenseman prospect in the pipeline, then Thompson is the top right handed one. You could make a case to swap them in the rankings. The biggest hurdles for Thompson are 1, there's a bigger need on the left side over the right, and 2, the guys on the right (Perbix and Raddysh) bring a lot of the same things to the table as he does. That kind of blocks his path to the NHL for the moment. Otherwise he's developing just fine. Thompson does a good job on the pp for Syracuse, and being the main point getter on their blueline. Not too surprising as that was his bread and butter in juniors. He's also wearing an 'A' for Bouchard and that says a lot as a 2nd year pro.

10. Declan Carlile / undrafted free agent
It's hard for Carlile to stand out next to Thompson and Lillberg. He doesn't have the bite or mean streak of Lilleberg, nor is he as good offensively like Thompson from the blueline in. But he does his job, and defends well, the #1 thing you want in a defenseman. He was on the top pairing with Perbix at the 2022 prospect tournament, and then funny enough kind of slid in really well again next to him the other night against the Minnesota Wild. The litmus test for all young D is turning their back to the play, getting/winning the puck from behind the net or in the corner, and then turning, making a quick decision, and giving a strike to a teammate for a clean breakout. I thought he did that well in his first NHL game. He was a +28 in the AHL last year, +11 so far this year, and he doesn't score a lot. Pucks just don't go in as much when he's on the ice. Nothing wrong with simple, yet effective, but that's how he has to be.

Out of the Top 10:

Lucas Edmonds / 3rd rd - 2022
He got hurt early in the season, he's missed time, it's just kind of been derailing. Jack FInley knows that feeling. On the bright side, there's still half a season left. This ranking in no way reflects how the Bolts feel about him, as I'm sure they're still very high on him. Important to remember that they wanted to sign him as a free agent, and when they found out they couldn't, traded up to get in him in the draft to make sure he was ours.

Hugo Alnefelt / 3rd rd - 2019
The #1 thing I wanted to see him do this season was take hold of the starting job, and that hasn't happened. When Pyotr Kochetkov was there, Kochetkov was cleary the starter. I don't really have a problem with that, but now we're on to Matt Tomkins, and it's been a split net with them both posting pretty similar numbers. If he's going to win a NHL backup job one day, he has to win a AHL starting one first.

Cole Koepke / 6th rd - 2018
He got a little time up with the Lightning again as a callup, he played all right at times, but didn't stand out too much. It's hard coming up, be put on the 4th line, and play a role there, so I get it, but you have to make some sort of impact to warrent sticking around. He just hasn't so far.

Gabriel Fortier / 2nd rd - 2018
He was one of the last cuts in training camp with Barre-Boulet, which lead me to believe he was somewhat close, but it just hasn't lead to anything for him yet. I would have thought he would have been the first guy to get called up, and he hasn't been called up at all. The Bolts like to over-cook their prospects, but as a 4th year pro I feel less confident in his future than I did previously.
1. Howard
2. Gauthier
3. Thompson
4. Goncalves
5. Huuhtanen
6. Groshev
7. Finley
8. Duke
9. Lilleberg
10. Alnefelt

Top 2 is clear. Huuhtanen has the higher ceiling but needs to improve his skating while Thompson and Goncalves seem safer bets to be at least bottom 6 or bottom pair guys. Higher on our drafted guys even if the ceiling is low, Finley can be a long-term 4C, Groshev a 3rd line wing. Duke is tricky cause his size isn't great for the bottom 6 but has skill for the top 6 but it's a big ask. Think Alnefelt can be at least a backup for a few years in the league.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
The Russian Hockey Federation doesn't have a transfer agreement with the NHL, that's why Groshev had to wait until his contract expired before he could sign his ELC.

Huuhtanen could sign his ELC right now while under contract in Liiga since the Finnish Ice Hockey Association has an agreement with the NHL.
You are correct. I just could not remember an instance where we had a prospect with an ELC playing in a European league and having that contract slide, or not having them honor the rest of their contract to sign with us and come over. I had to look it up and the only time I could find it happened was with Joel Vermin who signed his ELC in September of 2013, but played the rest of the 2013-2014 season with Bern in Switzerland.

Otherwise the other most recent examples are Hugo Alnefelt and Jonne Tammela who both finished out their contracts in Sweden and Finland before signing a NHL deal and coming over to play in the AHL (Alnefelt) and OHL (Tammela).

To add to what I wrote earlier though to GoBoltz, Huuhtanen was here in the summer for development camp. He was also there in 2022, and at the main training camp in 2021.

He has also said numerous times the goal is to get back to North America, and he seems pretty focused on that.

According to Jukurie's development manager Mikko Hakkarainen, the 188-centimeter and 95-kilogram Huuhtanen brings much-needed grit to Jukurie's attack.

- Huuhtanen is a big right-footed attacker whose absolute strengths are scoring goals. His goal is to return to North America in the next few years, Hakkarainen continues.

- My strengths are goal-scoring, dribbling, fighting power and seeing the game, says the 19-year-old Blues graduate.

– What needs to be improved is skating and self-defense. Skating should improve to get back to North America. Reading the defensive game is also a development target.

– In December, the goal is to play in the under-20 national team at the World Cup. I want to play a good season here in Mikkeli. And then the goal is to try to get to North America and play a good career there.

- Of course Olli played a big role in me moving to Jukurei. He called a couple of times, and we talked about big things. Olli wanted to help me get to North America to play again in the future.

- I knew when I came to Jukurei that the team plays a "North American" game. In addition to that, there were many young players in the team who were striving to advance in their own careers. It was the same for me. I came to Mikkeli because I'm trying to take big steps forward in my career and I'm aiming to get to the rinks of North America, says Huuhtanen.

Huuhtanen's big goal here in the NHL. Jukurei's head coach Olli Jokinen, who played 1237 NHL games in his own career, acts as a big supporter in the pursuit of his dream.

- Olli has been a really big help to me. He likes to help young players and he is really good at it. He knows what it takes if he wants to "get crazy".

- I have been really satisfied with the relationship between the player and the coach. When my own career ends one day, Olli has certainly been one of the biggest, most influential factors along the way, Huuhtanen praises.

After the trip to Tampere, the eyes turn again to Mikkeli, where Huuhtanen aims to take further development steps. The vision is clear.

- The goal is to make it to North America next season, Huuhtanen says.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
1 goal + an assist on the OT winner for Roman Schmidt

He's over a point per game since joining Kingston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad