Prospect Info: Syracuse Crunch, Orlando Solar Bears & Prospects

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
There's been a roster reshuffling in Orlando over the past few days that probably deserves mention.

Bennett MacArthur has been loaned to the Allen Americans. Loaning to another ECHL team is usually the end of the road for that player with the organization. OSB does pick up future considerations, however.

Lightning camper Louka Henault has been traded to the Iowa Heartlanders. He'll be teammates with former Bolt prospects Maxim Cajkovic and Odeen Tufto.

Orlando has also traded future considerations to Wheeling for past Lightning camper, and St. Pete Beach native, Avery Winslow.

Lightning prospects haven't made too much of a difference again this season. Dureau has like 4 goals this season and stood out more than MacArthur (who I'd say was the better of the two of them last season). Dureau is doing decent on points, although I wouldn't really consider him a key player.

I'm okay with all these moves. Those guys were pretty much invisible. The guys you forget are playing in the game.

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

You take everything at this stage with a grain of salt, but I think there is very little question at this point about what Team USA’s top nine forwards and top four defense will look like as we head into the tournament.
McGroarty* – Gauthier – Snuggerud
Perreault – Smith – Leonard
Howard – Nazar – Brindley

Hutson – Chesley
Buium – Casey

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Lightning college prospects at the holiday break

Dylan Duke (A) / Michigan18 gp8g + 12a = 20ptsjunior / 2021 4th rd pk
Isaac Howard / Michigan State18 gp5g + 15a = 20ptssoph. / 2022 1st rd pk
McKade Webster (C) / Denver18 gp7g + 10a = 17ptssenior / 2019 7th rd pk
Connor Kurth / Minnesota18 gp4g + 7a = 11ptssoph. / 2022 6th rd pk
Eamon Powell (C) / Boston College17 gp1g + 9a = 10ptssenior / 2020 4th rd pk
Cooper Flinton / Dartmouth College9 gp4g + 1a = 5ptssoph. / 2021 7th rd pk
Nick Capone / UConn13 gp2g + 2a = 4ptssenior / 2020 6th rd pk
Alex Gagne (C) / U. of New Hampshire13 gp0g + 3a = 3ptsjunior / 2021 6th rd pk
Warren Clark / St. Cloud State15 gp0g + 3a = 3ptsfresh. / 2023 6th rd pk
Jack Harvey / Boston U.2 gp0g + 1a = 1ptfresh. / 2023 7th rd pk
Klavs Veinbergs / Colorado College0 gp (rehabbing from surgery)-fresh / 2022 7th rd pk

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Halverson had a moment.

Sweeper keepers aren't typically a thing in the ECHL. More conservative, stay in your crease style goalies have meshed better with the less capable ECHL defenses. But that was just mishandling the puck.

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Crunch put an end to their 3 game losing streak with a 2-0 win over Utica

- 18 save shutout for Hugo. His 2nd of the season.

2 goals for Gauthier (#15 & #16)

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Today's Solar Bears game was interesting.

It was an early 6pm start. I'm always there for the doors to open one hour before the game starts.

A text message goes out that the game will now start at 7, and the doors will open at 6. I can handle a game delay. It's pulling the rug the hundreds of fans already in line out for another entire hour that bothers me. Orlando doesn't exactly have a Thunder Alley. Amway Center (new name pending) could maybe be considered on the edge of Church Street, but with the automotive focused surroundings, it's not at all a comfortable walk. The second-biggest entrance to the arena is on the 5th level of the parking garage. Like the hospital. You can go to the arena for years and never step foot on an Orlando sidewalk.

Fans stay in line. No info. No visits from the energy team, Shades, or free pizza.

There's a rumor circulating about the arena having power issues and the ice melting. The Knoxville IceBears had similar issues a few days ago, IIRC.

6pm. The anticipation is growing. The line (one of two into the arena), has now grown to maybe the low thousands, grumbles a bit, but is overall still pretty respectful. It's more standing than they were probably expecting, but either way, they were planning to be here at this time. It's also not too cold.

6:48 pm. The doors finally open. It had begun to get a bit colder as the sun went down. There's no way that they'll start at 7pm, but the mostly pretty quiet crowd is still there, if maybe just a bit worn down by everything. Security has thankfully opened all the metal detector lanes, so the line flies. At least people can sit down, buy some concessions, etc. Security had ferried groups to use the bathroom, although I suspect there were plenty who were just holding it.

The rumor turned out to be true. The arena had some kind of power outage during last night's storm, and the ice had partially melted. The game is further delayed. The jumbotron also isn't fully functional.

Another hour goes by. 8pm. The countdown clock to game time never starts. Warmups wouldn't even start until there are 16 minutes left. Finally, the PA announcer notifies the crowd that the game is postponed as the condition of the ice is unsafe.

Overall, I give the night a 6/10.

I swear though, if this team doesn't make the playoffs again after the thousands of fans who stuck tonight out...

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: LightningStrikes

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Has there ever been another name besides Amway? It's gonna be weird seeing that on the building after only ever seeing 1 name for there for 30 years.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Has there ever been another name besides Amway? It's gonna be weird seeing that on the building after only ever seeing 1 name for there for 30 years.
Kia/Amway Center has only been open since 2010.

The old Orlando Arena was re-named Amway Arena in 2006 until it's close in 2010.

Orlando Arena was called the TD Waterhouse Centre from like 2000-2006.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Kia/Amway Center has only been open since 2010.

The old Orlando Arena was re-named Amway Arena in 2006 until it's close in 2010.

Orlando Arena was called the TD Waterhouse Centre from like 2000-2006.

I know it's been 20 years but I'm struggling to remember it as the TD Waterhouse. Which is weird because I was there when the original bears won the Turner cup the last year of the IHL. I usually was drinking when I went to Orlando those days so maybe that's why it's foggy.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I know it's been 20 years but I'm struggling to remember it as the TD Waterhouse. Which is weird because I was there when the original bears won the Turner cup the last year of the IHL. I usually was drinking when I went to Orlando those days so maybe that's why it's foggy.
It was only the TD Waterhouse Centre the last season of the IHL Bears. 2000-01.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Crunch lose 3-2 to Laval

- Goncalves scores his 5th goal
- Thompson picks up his 15th assist for his 17th point

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I don't really understand Orlando's latest signing. Matthew Bazarin out of FPHL Baton Rouge.

On paper, Sean Gulka (Pensacola) or Spencer Kennedy (Peoria) look like more appealing signings. Why dip down another level into the FPHL?

edit: I think I've got a bit of an idea on Bazarin between last night's game and watching parts of two of his Baton Rouge games this month.

At the FPHL level, he's a pretty decent skater. I think that's exposed a bit in the ECHL. I don't like to judge too harshly on a first game, though his overall game certainly improved after the first 10 minutes.

As a fighter, both his fights on 12/1 and 12/14 primarily involved punching a guy on the ice. If we're looking for a guy who drags the rest into a fight, then it makes sense. What you don't really want is a guy who blows the situation up emotionally, gets tossed, and now the rest of the team has to deal with an angry opponent.

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Crunch lose 4-3 in OT to Cleveland

- Finley scores his first goal of the season. His first since last April
- 2 assists for Goncalves

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad