Prospect Info: Syracuse Crunch, Orlando Solar Bears, & Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Great defensive game by St. Cloud. Took the skill out of a very talented BC team.

2 assists for Perbix, who I thought had a good game. He's very active in the offensive zone. He likes to come down low into the play and almost act as another forward. He's got offense on the mind. Didn't really have to do too much in the dzone as the Huskies halted all attacks in the middle of the ice. As for Eamon Powell, I didn't really notice him too much. Maybe that's a good thing? The next big challenge for Powell is to work hard in the offseason and try to earn an invite to USA Hockey's National Junior Evaluation Camp this summer. Thompson and Finley will try to do the same for Team Canada, but Powell has familiarity playing previously for the U-18 team. Finley made Canada's U-18 camp, but did not make the team.

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Quinn Schmiemann starting the season off on the right foot with 1 goal & 2 assists in his first 2 games. Schmiemann is also wearing an 'A' for the Blazers.

3 goals + 1 assist for Goncalves tonight as Everett beats Tri-City 6-1

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
That'll do it for Minnesota's season.

Now we wait to see what Sammy Walker wants to do. He was a 2017 draft pick and it's been 4 years (1 with the USHL, 3 in the NCAA) so he has the right to leave school and become an UFA if he wants to. He may also decide to return to Minnesota for next season to finish out his senior year. The same goes for Guttman and Perbix, who are both 2017 picks too.

If Walker did want to sign, turn pro now, and stay with the Lightning, Syracuse has 20 or so games left in their season.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
That'll do it for Minnesota's season.

Now we wait to see what Sammy Walker wants to do. He was a 2017 draft pick and it's been 4 years (1 with the USHL, 3 in the NCAA) so he has the right to leave school and become an UFA if he wants to. He may also decide to return to Minnesota for next season to finish out his senior year. The same goes for Guttman and Perbix, who are both 2017 picks too.

If Walker did want to sign, turn pro now, and stay with the Lightning, Syracuse has 20 or so games left in their season.

TB's got Walker's rights until August 2022. The rights extend to the end of their college eligibility.

The Lightning are in the driver's seat, IMO. If they offer a contract, the guys should sign it. A year from now they could be old news or have terrible seasons.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
TB's got Walker's rights until August 2022. The rights extend to the end of their college eligibility.

The Lightning are in the driver's seat, IMO. If they offer a contract, the guys should sign it. A year from now they could be old news or have terrible seasons.
From my understanding, the rights of an 18 year old player going the college route are good for 4 years post nhl draft, a normal freshman through senior type college career. But those like Walker who do an extra year of something (in this case USHL) before going the college path and finish their 4th season as a college junior instead of a senior, create a provision in the cba, or as some have referred to it, a loophole.

Justin Schultz is a famous example of a prospect exercising this right. Drafted in 2008 by Anaheim. Played in the BCHL in 2008-09 and then 3 seasons in college before leaving and signing with Edmonton in 2012.
Schultz was drafted by the Anaheim Ducks in the second round in 2008. Because he went to play a year of junior hockey in the British Columbia Hockey League before joining the Badgers, the end of his junior season at UW marked four years since he was drafted.

In order to match the opportunities afforded to graduating seniors who were drafted before their freshman year of college, the CBA allows players like Schultz to withdraw from school after their junior year of college. Doing so opens up a 30-day window, during which the drafting team -- the Ducks in this case -- have exclusive negotiating rights. Once those 30 days are up, the player becomes an unrestricted free agent, one free to listen to team pitches immediately but not available to sign a contract until July 1 -- just like a normal UFA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Felonious Python

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Can't quite decide where this goes, but it involves OSB, so I'll put it here.

2GqZanh.jpg

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

After extensive medical consultation with both the Chiefs’ and Tampa Bay Lightning’s medical staffs, the 6-foot-5 pivot will soon undergo surgery to repair an injury to his shoulder. The estimated time for full recovery is up to six months.

“Given the expert advice of our doctors, we have decided to shut him down for the year,” said general manager Scott Carter. “This is tough news for our team and most importantly for Jack, who is a leader for our club. His presence will be missed both on and off the ice.

“We have great confidence in our medical staff and in Jack’s work ethic in rehabilitation. We look forward to seeing him back in action in the Fall.”

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
U guys think any chance Nick perbix signs this summer or will he go back for 1 more year of college and become free agent

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Foreurs forward Maxim Cajkovic is currently on a 8-game point streak (5 goals, 11 points). He was without a point in only 2 games (played 12 games this season so far).

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Crunch lose but Katchouk continues his 5 game goal streak

Katchouk also leading the Crunch in points

Katchouk: 6 g + 6 a = 12 pts / 14 gp
Somppi: 4 g + 7 a = 11 pts / 15 gp
Barre-Boulet: 6 g + 4 a = 10 pts / 8 gp
Thomas: 1 g + 7 a = 8 pts / 11 gp
Fortier: 4 g + 3 a = 7 pts / 13 gp
Raddysh: 2 g + 5 a = 7 pts / 11 gp

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

When SKA's season was over, Groshev joined the MHL group already in a playoff run. They're done now and so is Groshev's 2021 season.

Groshev is still under contract with St. Petersburg, but Amir Miftakhov, who was with Kazan, is now a free agent.

Miftakhov's 2020-21 stats

KHL: (4-2-0) | 2.25 gaa | .917 sv% | 1 so
VHL: (6-7-1) | 2.73 gaa | .907 sv% | 1 so
VHL Playoffs: (2-1-0) | 1.50 gaa | .934 sv% | 2 so

He turns 21 later this month.

I would love for there to be a development camp this summer and have both guys attend.

Last edited:

Point21

Oct 23, 2018

I wish he would come over but I understand his decision to stay for his senior year

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

I wish he would come over but I understand his decision to stay for his senior year

Risky move. Hope it works out.

I'd think that Zoomers would be more eager to sign than Millennials were, with the artifice of college being the panacea to a secure life gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: ultra63

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
From last night, Silvertips beat Winterhawks 6-4

Dureau scored a goal, but Goncalves had a goal and 2 assists

Dureau's goal

Goncalves' assist

Goncalves has 6g + 5a = 11 pts in 9 gp

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Odeen Tufto made his AHL debut, Mitchell Stephens had a goal and 2 assists, Alex Green scored his first AHL goal, and ABB wins it for the Crunch in OT

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
The Frozen Four is here.

St. Cloud State vs Minnesota State - 5:00 pm et

UMass vs Minnesota Duluth - 9:00 pm et

Both games will be on ESPN2 tonight

Reactions: Major4Boarding

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Groulx with some high praise for Boris Katchouk:

"It's a sign of maturity. It's a sign that he's more and more ready. And in my book, Boris will play in the NHL this year. The way he's playing, the way he's practicing, the way he's leading by example, I place him in that category of players that reach the NHL. It's for him to continue, and good things will happen for him because he's very impressive on a daily basis."

Compare that to Groulx's comments last June:

"I think for Boris, it's all a mindset. I think Boris can do a lot of things. ...I think it's important for him to understand his talent brought him to the AHL and where he's at right now is pretty good, but to play in the best league in the world and with the versatility he's got, I think if he can improve different things of his game like little more consistency, little more compete in him, little more strong play off the wall. So for me, Boris has a lot of tools in his box but get better. Get better at little things and invest in you everyday and invest in the gym every day. I think it's a mindset for him and it's a question of maturity, and this is what he has to work on. I really like the package and I don't think he's far away, but I think he needs to realize that what he's done is great, but he needs to do more. It's going to be his personal investment. If he does it I think he'll be rewarded."
"That's what the AHL is all about. You need to try things. You can't stay comfortable. We try to make players uncomfortable. ...Like I said, it's really a matter for him to realize that this is my job, I want to play in the NHL, I gotta push myself to go to the next level. This [level] is not enough. He's got another gear and he's gotta find it."

Hopefully this tough love was just what he needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad