Swing and a miss (coaching search)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
I think you see TMac fired, VAN hire TMac, and SJ hire Lavi. Not sure where that leaves us. Do not want Tortorella.

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
I think you see TMac fired, VAN hire TMac, and SJ hire Lavi. Not sure where that leaves us. Do not want Tortorella.

John Stevens from the Kings? If they're not ready for Housley to be HC, I do not think they'll ever be ready for him IMO. We'll know more in a month IMO too.

Predarat

Aug 16, 2005

I totally agree, I thing if SJ fires TMac they go right after Laviolette, they may fire Wilson first though but that would be a perfect fit for SJ if TMac goes.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
What about Blushill. Two time AHL Coach of the year and won a USHL as well as a Calder Cup, also assistant to Ken Hitchcock who had developed many great coaches such as: Todd McLellan and Paul McLean.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Despite the Shark's collapse, I think Mclellan is a good coach.

At some point, veteran players control their own results & will power & confidence.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I haven't seen very many hockey fans outside of maybe SJ putting it on the coach. Say what you will the players just stunk it up. The same group of players can only blame coaching so many times imo.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I haven't seen very many hockey fans outside of maybe SJ putting it on the coach. Say what you will the players just stunk it up. The same group of players can only blame coaching so many times imo.

Hmmm strikingly similar to teams in Nashville and those who berated Trotz for years. Im not saying Trotz should still be here. Just that this fanbase rarely places blame on players and when they do it is most often misplaced. Legwand was beat up for never becoming the player most wanted him to be.(me included) But other guys like Wilson, Tootoo are given a pass year after year after year.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Hmmm strikingly similar to teams in Nashville and those who berated Trotz for years. Im not saying Trotz should still be here. Just that this fanbase rarely places blame on players and when they do it is most often misplaced. Legwand was beat up for never becoming the player most wanted him to be.(me included) But other guys like Wilson, Tootoo are given a pass year after year after year.

Wilson shows more offensive capabilities than Legwand ever did. Atleast Wilson can create something out of nothing, he's the only player we have that can do that. He just lacks consistency which can come with time. I will say if we get a more offensive coach, and his numbers don't improve just a little bit, he has reached bust status.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Here though it really depends on the player. True Toots got a lot of passes, but the fans loved him. Wilson is getting a pass because of his age, I'm thinking that probably ends this year, its do or die for him.

Hell Trotz got a ton of backing for many many years here, but the honeymoon doesn't last forever.

The thing is with SJ is they already did the coaching change, at this point you can't really blame anyone but the players.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Here though it really depends on the player. True Toots got a lot of passes, but the fans loved him. Wilson is getting a pass because of his age, I'm thinking that probably ends this year, its do or die for him.

Hell Trotz got a ton of backing for many many years here, but the honeymoon doesn't last forever.

The thing is with SJ is they already did the coaching change, at this point you can't really blame anyone but the players.

I hear ya and fully understand where your coming from. But this is a infant fanbase, with a small group that can see the big picture. The roster spot filled with Tootoo and Wilson now should have been used to bring younger guys along. Tootoo put butts in seats that was all well and good for a few years but now the cupboard has ran bare. Wilson, Borque for sure could have used more time in the system before coming up. There performance has suffered from it, while Tootoo took a spot it did not hurt the case for keeping the kids down but something changed. For some odd reason DP made the decision that throwing young guys to the wolves was the thing to do. Now he does not do that with defensemen but signing low level talent and expecting kids to fill the top lines has been a disaster. Currently there is little way to recover from it quick. The team is not as close to returning to glory as many feel. They are just good enough to continue to pick in the 8 to 12 area getting no help. And no new coach can change that without a roster makeover. And with the passing of time it would appear that Housley may be DP's choice. 6 weeks until the draft and no clear direction where there going yet.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
David Pollak ‏@PollakOnSharks 1m
Wilson says his recommendation is to keep #SJSharks coaching staff going forward.

Yeah, I saw that this weekend. Apparently ownership may feel differently, but it seems like TMac may actually be sticking around in teal for another season.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I hear ya and fully understand where your coming from. But this is a infant fanbase, with a small group that can see the big picture. The roster spot filled with Tootoo and Wilson now should have been used to bring younger guys along. Tootoo put butts in seats that was all well and good for a few years but now the cupboard has ran bare. Wilson, Borque for sure could have used more time in the system before coming up. There performance has suffered from it, while Tootoo took a spot it did not hurt the case for keeping the kids down but something changed. For some odd reason DP made the decision that throwing young guys to the wolves was the thing to do. Now he does not do that with defensemen but signing low level talent and expecting kids to fill the top lines has been a disaster. Currently there is little way to recover from it quick. The team is not as close to returning to glory as many feel. They are just good enough to continue to pick in the 8 to 12 area getting no help. And no new coach can change that without a roster makeover. And with the passing of time it would appear that Housley may be DP's choice. 6 weeks until the draft and no clear direction where there going yet.

I think the biggest problem has always been terrible mentors for the young kids except in the case of Kariya. Legwand had no one to learn from when he got here. Ronning? He was all about Cliff and not the team. He had talent but no team concept. Johnson and Fitzgerald were good guys but couldn't teach Legwand about that next level of what it takes to be a true NHL player. Kariya got here and guys took note of how to be a pro and what it takes day in and day out. Problem is, since the fire sale, we really haven't brought anyone in who fits that mold. We've brought in more guys like Johnson and Fitzgerald than guys like Kariya and I think that's huge. Who do the kids have to look up to or model themselves after? That's why the D worked because guys like Suter, Weber and Hamhuis had a guy like Timonen to learn from and while Kimmo didn't have anyone here to learn from, he had that gift and calming influence. Now the young guys we have on the blue line get to learn from Weber. That's a huge thing for their development.

We need guys up front who can teach Wilson, Smith, Jarnkrok, Forsberg, etc how to go about their business on a daily basis. While Fisher is a good player and leader, he's not the upper echelon type that can show these kids what it takes to get to the next level. While I think having a great coach is important, I think you have to have the support system in the players as well to become a great team and develop young players. I think that's one of the reasons why Edmonton struggles so much is that they're relying on the talent to get them places but it's not just about talent. We on the other hand have guys that may have the intangibles but don't necessarily have the talent. Detroit had it right and granted they got a gift in Yzerman in the draft but from that point on things changed and they have been a model franchise of drafting and developing talent. Does anyone think Datsyuk and/or Zetterberg would've been the players anywhere else had they not come through Detroit and learning from their greats? I think they would've been great but not the elite players they are today. Add them as in their lineage and their young guys have a shot at becoming great players like the ones before them.

We need to build that culture. We need top end veteran talent before we can do that.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I think the biggest problem has always been terrible mentors for the young kids except in the case of Kariya. Legwand had no one to learn from when he got here. Ronning? He was all about Cliff and not the team. He had talent but no team concept. Johnson and Fitzgerald were good guys but couldn't teach Legwand about that next level of what it takes to be a true NHL player. Kariya got here and guys took note of how to be a pro and what it takes day in and day out. Problem is, since the fire sale, we really haven't brought anyone in who fits that mold. We've brought in more guys like Johnson and Fitzgerald than guys like Kariya and I think that's huge. Who do the kids have to look up to or model themselves after? That's why the D worked because guys like Suter, Weber and Hamhuis had a guy like Timonen to learn from and while Kimmo didn't have anyone here to learn from, he had that gift and calming influence. Now the young guys we have on the blue line get to learn from Weber. That's a huge thing for their development.

We need guys up front who can teach Wilson, Smith, Jarnkrok, Forsberg, etc how to go about their business on a daily basis. While Fisher is a good player and leader, he's not the upper echelon type that can show these kids what it takes to get to the next level. While I think having a great coach is important, I think you have to have the support system in the players as well to become a great team and develop young players. I think that's one of the reasons why Edmonton struggles so much is that they're relying on the talent to get them places but it's not just about talent. We on the other hand have guys that may have the intangibles but don't necessarily have the talent. Detroit had it right and granted they got a gift in Yzerman in the draft but from that point on things changed and they have been a model franchise of drafting and developing talent. Does anyone think Datsyuk and/or Zetterberg would've been the players anywhere else had they not come through Detroit and learning from their greats? I think they would've been great but not the elite players they are today. Add them as in their lineage and their young guys have a shot at becoming great players like the ones before them.

We need to build that culture. We need top end veteran talent before we can do that.

I think this is spot on...... And really what I have tried to explain a number of times. It is critical for a team to develop this. Which make it more puzzling why DP did what he did last offseason. Cullen, Hendricks, Stalberg or Nystrom are not leader type players either. For that matter Leggy was not therefore willingly passing the A down. Fish is ok but we need more than ok. I still feel Weber has lapses in his leadership and that's not an attack on him just an observation. Weber tends to have different levels he plays at and if he could fix that issue he would be a better player than he already is.

A case can be made that this issue is more important than which coach sits behind the bench. Of course it is the GM's job to put leaders on the ice and as you have pointed out that has been a failure since the firesale. Currently it is VERY difficult getting one of these type player to even consider Nashville. The playoffs are not even over and there is still a little time but naming a coach is getting critical. The GM and coach must be on the same sheet of music to turn this ship around. And they should be in meetings dailey right now doing just that. SO unless Housley is the guy Poile is buring daylight.

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
I think this is spot on...... And really what I have tried to explain a number of times. It is critical for a team to develop this. Which make it more puzzling why DP did what he did last offseason. Cullen, Hendricks, Stalberg or Nystrom are not leader type players either. For that matter Leggy was not therefore willingly passing the A down. Fish is ok but we need more than ok. I still feel Weber has lapses in his leadership and that's not an attack on him just an observation. Weber tends to have different levels he plays at and if he could fix that issue he would be a better player than he already is.

A case can be made that this issue is more important than which coach sits behind the bench. Of course it is the GM's job to put leaders on the ice and as you have pointed out that has been a failure since the firesale. Currently it is VERY difficult getting one of these type player to even consider Nashville. The playoffs are not even over and there is still a little time but naming a coach is getting critical. The GM and coach must be on the same sheet of music to turn this ship around. And they should be in meetings dailey right now doing just that. SO unless Housley is the guy Poile is buring daylight.

While I personally would like to see a coach named soon, I'm afraid that the possible potential candidates are not willing to commit to Nashville with the hope that a better opportunity may come along. Carolina fired Mueller today and at least two teams currently in the playoffs may make a change also.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
While I personally would like to see a coach named soon, I'm afraid that the possible potential candidates are not willing to commit to Nashville with the hope that a better opportunity may come along. Carolina fired Mueller today and at least two teams currently in the playoffs may make a change also.
When was the last time a team made the 2nd round of the playoffs then fired their coach?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't remember it happening.

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
When was the last time a team made the 2nd round of the playoffs then fired their coach?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't remember it happening.

The key word I used was "may make a change" and both the Pittsburgh and Minneapolis positions have been mentioned by some of the TV talking heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia