Status
Not open for further replies.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
All right, love it or hate it Trotz is gone.

Who would you like hired, who do you think will be hired or just a general type of coach would you see us get?

I'll start.

I'd like to see us use the mobility and puck skills of our defensemen more to open the ice more and to retain possession more.

I like the down low cycle game we used this season but I'd like to change the way we enter the zone to implement that type of system.

Instead of dumping and chasing, I'd prefer us to reverse it, regroup and enter the zone again as a 5 man unit. Much like Detroit does. And before anyone says "well look at the talent Detroit has, know that even their bottom lines and bottom pairing defensemen use this same system. Rarely does Detroit dump and chase.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
You don't seem to answer any of the questions you pose unless I'm missing something?

I think I'm on board the Laviolette train, but largely undecided. Judging by Poile's press conference and comments by Josh Cooper and others, I think Housley and Lambert are unlikely.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
You don't seem to answer any of the questions you pose unless I'm missing something?

I think I'm on board the Laviolette train, but largely undecided. Judging by Poile's press conference and comments by Josh Cooper and others, I think Housley and Lambert are unlikely.
I want any coach than implement a system like I described. As far as which coach? I don't know, that's above my paygrade. Which is why I said "general type of coach".

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Im torn on who to even consider if we knew more about what Kind of change DP continues with it would be more clear. Standing pat and hoping for better results is not a good path.

Im with you on losing the dump and chase. At one time the Preds were pretty good at it but now its just pitiful more times than not losing the battle. This leading to players just peeling off and getting back defensively.

There will need to be a huge improvement in team passing to enter the zone like the Wings do but boy it would sure be nice if they can pull it off.

The best choices IMO already have jobs.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I know this is a homer comment, but I feel that a player like Wilson would thrive under an offensive coach like Laviolette. Hopefully Housley would be a great influence on the D.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Laviolette, but I'm not sure we have the offensive firepower he needs/wants.

It could pressure Poile to bring in a offensive forward, which is what we need. A pretty big deal is good to need to go down for us to get better, if not then we will be a bottom team hoping to get a wild card spot. Personally I love Laviolette, and I'd really like to add Kane with our draft pick and some other pieces.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

Which is encouraging to me because it seems like he knows there's a thin rope and he needs to go outside the box for a change. Or needs to give it a shot anyway.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
I'd like to see us use the mobility and puck skills of our defensemen more to open the ice more and to retain possession more.

I like the down low cycle game we used this season but I'd like to change the way we enter the zone to implement that type of system.

Instead of dumping and chasing, I'd prefer us to reverse it, regroup and enter the zone again as a 5 man unit. Much like Detroit does. And before anyone says "well look at the talent Detroit has, know that even their bottom lines and bottom pairing defensemen use this same system. Rarely does Detroit dump and chase.
You're making it too complicated. We need talent. Their fourth line guys have the same points as ours. And yes, their fourth line dumps and chases more.

In order to score more goals, we need talent.

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
As young as this team is, I'd almost have to say we need a guy that can develop talent on the fly in the bigs. What about Kings Assistant John Stevens? He was a head coach in Philly and has been through two coaches in LA. The research I've seen on him is that he's more about the development of the players in LA and isn't in a role where he has to be the heavy handed disciplinarian (Sutter's role). He's also been lauded for the development of Drew Doughty's two-way game and maturation. With the defensive core we have for the next several years in place, a guy that has that sort of rep with a Norris-trophy finalist has to be a huge plus in addition to Housley.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
We need a coach who can turn mediocre offensive talent into star NHL talent.

I'm sure if Poile looks hard enough that's available.

Jesus did turn water into wine that one time.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
As young as this team is, I'd almost have to say we need a guy that can develop talent on the fly in the bigs. What about Kings Assistant John Stevens? He was a head coach in Philly and has been through two coaches in LA. The research I've seen on him is that he's more about the development of the players in LA and isn't in a role where he has to be the heavy handed disciplinarian (Sutter's role). He's also been lauded for the development of Drew Doughty's two-way game and maturation. With the defensive core we have for the next several years in place, a guy that has that sort of rep with a Norris-trophy finalist has to be a huge plus in addition to Housley.

Bingo, I'd go with John Stevens, did wonders with developing defensemen to their top potential so Jones in his hands, with further potential for Josi, etc, bam.

But he also has a track record with bringing offensive players along in LA so that's a perennial weakness of Nashville that can get a fresh look.

Outside of him, a bit off the board (ahem, continent) I'd at least look at Bruce Boudreau. If Detroit has a model that interests people here in Nashville in how a system can bring out consistent production despite changeover in talent, puck possession is a key thing and if memory serves me right, Boudreau had measurably strong puck possession and zone entry style.

If we're willing to take a bit more of a gamble... http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/coming-soon-to-an-nhl-team-near-you-this-man/

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
We need a coach who can turn mediocre offensive talent into star NHL talent.

I'm sure if Poile looks hard enough that's available.

Jesus did turn water into wine that one time.

All they need to do is go out and get that 30-goal scorer, maybe even 40-goal scorer if they get lucky.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
Personally I'd prefer to see more of a psycho that helps Weber attain permanent beast mode. With Webeast leading, the guys would get pulled along for the ride. I'm thinking a Torts/ Ted Nolan type nutter.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Personally I'd prefer to see more of a psycho that helps Weber attain permanent beast mode. With Webeast leading, the guys would get pulled along for the ride. I'm thinking a Torts/ Ted Nolan type nutter.

Well, by the looks of it, Torts will soon be available...

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Torts might only take the job because of the lower scrutiny. But then again, he might not take the job because of the lower scrutiny...

Well, if Nashville feels neglected by Eastern media, pretty sure that'll be taken care of with Torts in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad