Swing and a miss (coaching search)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Not saying Horachek is good or bad but less a season as intrem for a team whose roster has been well TERRIBLE, he did not get a half look. Florida will be better next season if Louongo can put together any type of consistency. I guess the Panthers front off ice is much like Pred fans here expecting blood from a dried up turnip. Who knows if Horachek is a NHL head coach for sure his time in Florida was no help to him really.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Not saying Horachek is good or bad but less a season as intrem for a team whose roster has been well TERRIBLE, he did not get a half look. Florida will be better next season if Louongo can put together any type of consistency. I guess the Panthers front off ice is much like Pred fans here expecting blood from a dried up turnip. Who knows if Horachek is a NHL head coach for sure his time in Florida was no help to him really.

Neither him nor Dineen had all that much to work with. Re-tread veterans and prospects that may not have as much upside as was thought. Bjugstad was the team leader with...38 pts...ouch. I don't really see much sense to what Tallon is putting together over there. They seemed to be on the right track a few seasons ago, but now it's just a lot of thrown together pieces. Team seriously needs an identity, among other things. Tallon needs to take that roster behind the woodshed over the off-season. Trotz?

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I agree Trotz may be an option for them but Tallon will need to make some player changes. Huberdeau had a horrible year and missed 11 games on IR he was our version of Wilson. Barkov and Kopecky injured in the Olympics did not help. And Barkov did not live up to his hype from the draft, while he may rebound with there aged defense I bet Tallon regrets not taking Jones right now. They will have another high draft pick with big holes on both sides of the team.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I agree Trotz may be an option for them but Tallon will need to make some player changes. Huberdeau had a horrible year and missed 11 games on IR he was our version of Wilson. Barkov and Kopecky injured in the Olympics did not help. And Barkov did not live up to his hype from the draft, while he may rebound with there aged defense I bet Tallon regrets not taking Jones right now. They will have another high draft pick with big holes on both sides of the team.

On paper, they would also seem like a front-runner for McDavid in 2015.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Would it be something if Trotz doesn't get a single sniff with all the coaching openings this off-season?

That just flat out won't happen. He may choose not to take the first job that comes along, but to think no one would even be interested is ridiculous

Predsboro

Feb 29, 2008
Help me remember here ... Florida recently (in March) fired Asst. GM Mike Santos. Santos was with the Predators previously. Is my memory correct that Santos was Poile's assistant GM here but took the Florida job ... then Fenton was elevated to assistant GM?

For some reason I think I remember many on here claiming the sky was falling when we lost Santos. So then, Santos ... who was the GM of the Florida minor league team in the A ... brings in Horachek to coach San Antonio; and he was the key person bringing Horachek to Sunrise as Dineen's replacement.

Edit to add: Santos was Director of Hockey Ops here apparently

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/03/26/4019144/florida-panthers-assistant-gm.html

Last edited:

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
I do recall SEVERAL posts claiming Trotz would have a job in five minutes if the Preds let him go.

I think he will be one of, if not the first, new coach to be hired in the offseason. None of the teams with vacant spots have hired anyone. Most are likely going to wait the playoffs out as a few more options might become available (e.g. McLellan definitely, Bylsma maybe with loss against the Rags, etc.).

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Don't see how McLellan is all that much an improvement. Seems like another coach who's great to excellent in the regular season and comes up short in playoff time. They did reach the Conference Finals twice, getting utterly waxed on both accounts, however, and have mostly underachieved in the playoffs outside of that. Some considerable talent on those teams as well. That team seems to show zero poise or character when it matters most, which can't all be blamed on the coach, but surely in some part?

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
todd mclellan?

Option that I was thinking about earlier. What seems to kill the Sharks is their third and fourth lines based on the knee-jerk interweb research I have done so far. Basically b/c they lack the 'sandpaper' 3rd and 4th line forward depth, opposition defenses don't get worn down as much, thus making it easier to keep pace, block shots, and push out screening top-six forwards. We have that in spades thanks to Poile and Trotz! Plus he wants more shots to the net which lack thereof is always been an issue for the Preds. If he could lure Pavelski here with him, I'd be hard pressed to see how he couldn't have us in the playoffs next season.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Totally agree with McLellan. And if he could bring Pavelski with him...:naughty:
So Trotz is out because he couldn't get a mediocre talented team to the 3rd round.

And we are going to bring in a guy who just blew a 3-0 first round lead with far superior talent than we've ever had?

The problem is coaching is not the problem, and Poile is still our GM.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
If we're looking to give a young coach a chance like we did with Trotz, Jeff Blashill seems like a great choice.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
I know there are a few guys on the team that would love to see Housley step up, but they don't think that's the trigger Poile would pull.

Still has Laviolette's name written all over it, but until the dust is completely settled, don't expect an announcement.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
So Trotz is out because he couldn't get a mediocre talented team to the 3rd round.

And we are going to bring in a guy who just blew a 3-0 first round lead with far superior talent than we've ever had?

The problem is coaching is not the problem, and Poile is still our GM.
Statements are easy to make now without ever seeing trotz coach any other nhl squad. Let us see how he does with another team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad