Management Sweeney: "We're Looking to Make Changes" - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
That won't get it done no.
well not trading Studnicka unless part of a deal for a star player, for Boeser there are some deals I would include some players like Grizz, Kase, etc. or DeBrusk straight up. I like Boeser, but the injury problems concern me and he will need to be qualified around 7.5m so not giving up anything higher than DeBrusk who is a pretty decent piece to trade.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
To me if they are set on moving JDB and listening on Carlo, it makes sense to move JDB for a dman and Carlo for a RW. Then sign Hall.

I think those moves would fix the 2nd line with Hall and whoever Carlo brings back. And ideally JDB brings in a dman close to the effectiveness of Carlo.
My only issue with that is there’s no guarantee Hall signs here. In your scenario Sweeney could move DeBrusk for dman and Hall signs elsewhere, leaving the team with 2 major holes on the wing. You could trade Carlo for 1 wing but at that point you’re rearranging deck chairs.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I just saw on the main boards a rumor thread that said the Pens are getting calls on Bryan Rust.

I was beyond impressed with this guy in the Pens short bubble life. Havent seen much of him outside of that though. But the little I did see. I thought he was impressive.

3.5 per for the next two seasons. However he just came off of a stellar season at a point per game pace and 27 goals playing next to Malkin. Thus I would be nervous to see the price to acquire.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I just saw on the main boards a rumor thread that said the Pens are getting calls on Bryan Rust.

I was beyond impressed with this guy in the Pens short bubble life. Havent seen much of him outside of that though. But the little I did see. I thought he was impressive.

3.5 per for the next two seasons. However he just came off of a stellar season at a point per game pace and 27 goals playing next to Malkin. Thus I would be nervous to see the price to acquire.

Rust had a breakout season, and he is a guy that I think is a great comparable for JDB. Give Jake a little more time and we have our own Bryan Rust.

Buck Smith

May 23, 2016
I have said this before but if the bruin are not going to sign Krug trade his rights.

I feel your wish not to loose him for nothing... but I´m also not sure the B´s should repay Torey for all he´s done (been extremely loyal and hard working + having taken team friendly contracts) by locking his negotiations to one team... also 'not of his choice'... for a maximum... third round pick!?! In my eyes it kind of puts a dent in the whole principle of team spirit the B´s have built up!

It they are not willing to give him what he deserves... at least give him all the opportunities to get it, or more!!!

Buck Smith

May 23, 2016
I would even retain on Rask if we could get a 1st rounder out of it. The draft looks really deep!

How far do you think Anton Lundell will go as a player? Expected to be picked around number 10. Askarov (G) also, expected to be picked there around.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I wonder what is meant by "strong play for him at the deadline." Was Nick Ritchie the consolation prize they settled on? I wonder what CBJ's ask was that the Bruins could not get it done then.

I hear they wanted a mint for him because of the "power forward" moniker.

The problem with using that as a bargaining chip is that he has already had one contract hold out and injury issues. Those together drive his price down enough that CBJ is not going to get what they want.
Same with Vancouver and Boeser. They are trying to get back value when his value is not what it was two years ago.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I hear they wanted a mint for him because of the "power forward" moniker.

The problem with using that as a bargaining chip is that he has already had one contract hold out and injury issues. Those together drive his price down enough that CBJ is not going to get what they want.
Same with Vancouver and Boeser. They are trying to get back value when his value is not what it was two years ago.

Interesting. I remember some talk about him at the TDL but didn't recall anyone reporting what the ask was for him. I guess times have changed- hasnt he indicated he wanted out of Columbus or something like that? They also appear to have a bit of a cap crunch looming too. Maybe they take a good deal less, but it's a caveat emptor situation with him for sure. Not sure how I would feel about the Bruins giving up something significant to get him. You might get the Josh Anderson of two seasons ago, or not.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Interesting. I remember some talk about him at the TDL but didn't recall anyone reporting what the ask was for him. I guess times have changed- hasnt he indicated he wanted out of Columbus or something like that? They also appear to have a bit of a cap crunch looming too. Maybe they take a good deal less, but it's a caveat emptor situation with him for sure. Not sure how I would feel about the Bruins giving up something significant to get him. You might get the Josh Anderson of two seasons ago, or not.

That is my concern with a lot of the new rumors for wings around the Bruins.

They all would elicit a cost and all be risks. Not sure next season is for that, possibly the season after when we are rebuilding and trying to get younger, yes.
Virtanen is intriguing if the cost is reasonable. But I don't think we are getting anything from Vancouver without losing someone we don't want to lose.

Virtanen for Carlo is not a good trade. One is proven, the other is not. A king's ransom for Boeser has red flags all over it for any team.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
That is my concern with a lot of the new rumors for wings around the Bruins.

They all would elicit a cost and all be risks. Not sure next season is for that, possibly the season after when we are rebuilding and trying to get younger, yes.
Virtanen is intriguing if the cost is reasonable. But I don't think we are getting anything from Vancouver without losing someone we don't want to lose.

Virtanen for Carlo is not a good trade. One is proven, the other is not. A king's ransom for Boeser has red flags all over it for any team.

Good lord if Sweeney moves Carlo for Virtanen he should be taken out and shot! What we hear about Boeser having some injury issues is concerning as well. I'd prefer they went the UFA route for their winger and maybe brought in that solid middle pairing LHD like Dillon and call it done.

Last edited:

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
My only issue with that is there’s no guarantee Hall signs here. In your scenario Sweeney could move DeBrusk for dman and Hall signs elsewhere, leaving the team with 2 major holes on the wing. You could trade Carlo for 1 wing but at that point you’re rearranging deck chairs.

For sure.

That's why Hall signing is step 1 if that's their plan. I wouldn't trade anyone until pen is put to paper on that contract.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
With all this pandemic thing I have a really hard time to believe they are trading a $2.85M top 4 dman just to spend more than double to fix the defense right side

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
No, but that wasn't the comparison- it is what can derail a shooter. Remember Sergei Samsonov? Never the same after his wrist issues.

Exactly.

Zach Hamill was the top goal-scoring CHL player in his draft year. His wrist issues started shortly after.

Seguin is dealing with wrist issues and his play has fallen off badly.

Wrist injuries can completely derail a career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad