Management Sweeney: "We're Looking to Make Changes" - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Anyone with insight into the Winnipeg Jets cap situation?

A player that interests me is Josh Morrissey. 25 years old signed for 7 more years at 6.25m per. Takes him to age 32. He’s a left shot, a + player. Could be a good partner for McAvoy. Morrissey averages 30ish points per season.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Exactly.

Zach Hamill was the top goal-scoring CHL player in his draft year. His wrist issues started shortly after.

Seguin is dealing with wrist issues and his play has fallen off badly.

Wrist injuries can completely derail a career.

Just from watching the games, if I had to say which part of Seguin's game has really tailed off it's his shooting, what was once a strength now looks bad-to-mediocre, which would indicate some sort of wrist problem.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
One guy whose name is out there that interested me on the surface is Nick Leddy. Islanders looking to move out money. Left shot. 29 years old. Plays big minutes with 2 years left at a $5.25 million cap hit. Then I started looking and his actual money is much higher than his cap hit. Don’t know if Monty Burns would go for that.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
One guy whose name is out there that interested me on the surface is Nick Leddy. Islanders looking to move out money. Left shot. 29 years old. Plays big minutes with 2 years left at a $5.25 million cap hit. Then I started looking and his actual money is much higher than his cap hit. Don’t know if Monty Burns would go for that.

I had some time to look around a bit yesterday and brought up the idea of Nathan Beaulieu.

He's nothing special offensively and not overly physical, but he's 27 - UFA - was top 20 among NHL defensemen in PKTOI and Winnipeg was 9th in the league in PK.

Might be a good option as a stay at home guy to pair with McAvoy.

Only made 1 million last year, maybe a good value if they could get him at 2.0 - 2.5 for 3-4 years.

Nathan Beaulieu - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I had some time to look around a bit yesterday and brought up the idea of Nathan Beaulieu.

He's nothing special offensively and not overly physical, but he's 27 - UFA - was top 20 among NHL defensemen in PKTOI and Winnipeg was 9th in the league in PK.

Only made 1 million last year, maybe a good value if they could get him at 2.0 - 2.5 for 3-4 years.

pass, cant stay on the ice to save his life, dont need another Miller/Moore. games played of 59, 48 and 38 the last 3 seasons.

He's average on his best day, no where near the caliber of player you'd block Vaak and Lauzon for

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
pass, cant stay on the ice to save his life, dont need another Miller/Moore. games played of 59, 48 and 38 the last 3 seasons.

He's average on his best day, no where near the caliber of player you'd block Vaak and Lauzon for

Fair enough. I don't remember him too much.

I like that he seems to be a relied upon PK guy on a team with a good PK, shoots left, has size and might come cheap.

But I'm not gonna argue with people who know him better than I do.

Reactions: Gordoff

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Just from watching the games, if I had to say which part of Seguin's game has really tailed off it's his shooting, what was once a strength now looks bad-to-mediocre, which would indicate some sort of wrist problem.

It's been a problem for awhile. I know only Bruins get a pass for playing hurt in the playoffs, but he did only have 245 shots this season, and averaging less than 3 shots per play-off game. Something is definitely up.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

A player that interests me is Josh Morrissey. 25 years old signed for 7 more years at 6.25m per. Takes him to age 32. He’s a left shot, a + player. Could be a good partner for McAvoy. Morrissey averages 30ish points per season.

He'd be a great add. He's also Winnipeg's best D-man and they don't have much on D after him and Poink. Practically nothing really. Just a few guys who aren't established (Dahlstrom, Niku, Poolman), the rest are UFAs.

Might be a team that the Bruins could pawn off John Moore for a song though.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site

According to an Athletic list of possible trade prospects #1 is Laine with the report that the team is looking for a top four defenseman and a second line center.

Also on the list is Nikolai Ehlers, also from the Jets. Would love to have either on on the team, but at what cost? Laine is signed for one more season at $6,750,000 and a RFA, and Ehlers is locked up at $6,000,000 for five more years.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
According to an Athletic list of possible trade prospects #1 is Laine with the report that the team is looking for a top four defenseman and a second line center.

Also on the list is Nikolai Ehlers, also from the Jets. Would love to have either on on the team, but at what cost? Laine is signed for one more season at $6,375,000 and Ehlers is locked up at $6,000,000 for several more years.
I’ve watched very little of Laine. Does he play big?

I did read on the Jets board a few there seem to think he may ask for 10m+ on his next contract.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

He’s the only quality Dman they have

They are trying to find a partner for him, not to trade him away.

Jets biggest needs are quality 2C and quality top RD

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I’ve watched very little of Laine. Does he play big?

I did read on the Jets board a few there seem to think he may ask for 10m+ on his next contract.

I certainly wouldn't call him a power forward by any stretch.

He might also be the best pure shooter in the NHL.

I'd love to see him in Boston but his potential contract demands (as mentioned above) probably make it prohibitive for the Bruins and Jacobs.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
He'd be a great add. He's also Winnipeg's best D-man and they don't have much on D after him and Poink. Practically nothing really. Just a few guys who aren't established (Dahlstrom, Niku, Poolman), the rest are UFAs.

Might be a team that the Bruins could pawn off John Moore for a song though.
I wondered that too with Moore. Probably have to take a money contract back. Someone like Lowry or Perreault.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Good lord if Sweeney move Carlo for Virtanen he should be taken out and shot! What we hear about Boeser having some injury issues is concerning as well. I'd prefer they went the UFA route for their winger and maybe brought in that solid middle pairing LHD like Dillon and call it done.

Virtanen is the kind of player the Bruins need to add in their top 9, big dude who is physical and can play. No way I trade Carlo for him, but if he can be had at a lesser cost, he would be an excellent addition.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Virtanen is the kind of player the Bruins need to add in their top 9, big dude who is physical and can play. No way I trade Carlo for him, but if he can be had at a lesser cost, he would be an excellent addition.

Absolutely, would not mind seeing him come to Boston, but trading Carlo for him straight up is just awful.

member 96824

It's been a problem for awhile. I know only Bruins get a pass for playing hurt in the playoffs, but he did only have 245 shots this season, and averaging less than 3 shots per play-off game. Something is definitely up.

He's a playoff warrior. 3 trips to the Stanley Cup Finals by the age of 28.

Buck Smith

May 23, 2016
[QUOTE="Also on the list is Nikolai Ehlers, also from the Jets. Would love to have either on on the team, but at what cost? Laine is signed for one more season at $6,750,000 and a RFA, and Ehlers is locked up at $6,000,000 for five more years.[/QUOTE]

Laine would be just incredible to have, but at 10M... not impossible to handle, but it ties our arms pretty bad!
But what would we have to offer for Ehlers? (Studnicka and Gryz+?)

Reactions: sarge88

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Ya, I thought of Nat too but at the end of the day he's a 3rd pairing D.

Habs former 1st rounder, he's a bit of a putz , he doesn't mind dropping them but he's a light weight.

Got into some trouble in a bar fight with his dad when he was with the Habs.

Reactions: sarge88

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Dustin Byfuglien would help mitigate the loss of Krug. He walked away from 14 million recently so money may not be the motivating factor IF he decides to return.

A 3rd pairing of Chara - Byfuglien
A year+ off for Buff, dude already had some weight issues when active and younger. Can't imagine that's gonna help with his foot speed. Not the desired back end for the new NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad