Management Sweeney addresses media: All Sweeney Talk Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Fire the man

this is a retool season.... it had to happen... All of these former 1st round picks...

Lets see what Senyshyn, Stud, Frederic, Vaaka, Zboril can do. These are not FA signings, but fresh additions to the parent club

Then you sell and gain assets

The prospect pool doesn’t have answers to our problems, just building towards slow death

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
Fire the man

Then you sell and gain assets

The prospect pool doesn’t have answers to our problems, just building towards slow death

This is what I don't understand. If this is a retool season and you don't want to trade Rask then you still have Krecji that you can trade for something. Bergeron is another guy who might be one of if not my favorite player all time here but it might be worth exploring a trade for as well. No matter what you do at this point in the offseason you aren't beating Tampa or Washington. So why not take a step back and build towards the future? The Treadmill is the absolute worst place to be.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This is what I don't understand. If this is a retool season and you don't want to trade Rask then you still have Krecji that you can trade for something. Bergeron is another guy who might be one of if not my favorite player all time here but it might be worth exploring a trade for as well. No matter what you do at this point in the offseason you aren't beating Tampa or Washington. So why not take a step back and build towards the future? The Treadmill is the absolute worst place to be.

I’m not touching Bergeron subject but Krejci and Rask should bring quality back

If you are retooling you can easily retain on both to get them for 5M range and gain futures

The prospect pool is empty

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I’m not touching Bergeron subject but Krejci and Rask should bring quality back

If you are retooling you can easily retain on both to get them for 5M range and gain futures

The prospect pool is empty

You weren't getting much for either guy, not based on the trades we've seen around the league thus far.

Even in a rebuild, they shouldn't move Rask without a plan to replace him with an NHL caliber goaltender. The last thing you want is to be a Buffalo or Edmonton type franchise where you end up in a decade-long rebuild because you can't find adequate goaltending and your young players are paralyzed from losing night after night when they can't count on their goaltender to make a key save. Buffalo can add all the Taylor Halls it wants, they aren't going anywhere with their goaltenders. Neither is Edmonton with Koskinen/Smith, despite having two of the Top 5 players in the world up front.

Neither team has had a legit No.1 or even a high-level platoon guy in a long time. As long as he's willing to sign for short-term, I actually expect Rask back after next year.

The shipped call "Trade Krejci fo Value" sailed away awhile ago. The might of gotten value had they moved him after the cup loss to St. Louis. Now, in this cap crunch climate, forget it, even with retention. To move Krejci for a 3rd or 4th round draft pick? What's the point?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You weren't getting much for either guy, not based on the trades we've seen around the league thus far.

Even in a rebuild, they shouldn't move Rask without a plan to replace him with an NHL caliber goaltender. The last thing you want is to be a Buffalo or Edmonton type franchise where you end up in a decade-long rebuild because you can't find adequate goaltending and your young players are paralyzed from losing night after night when they can't count on their goaltender to make a key save. Buffalo can add all the Taylor Halls it wants, they aren't going anywhere with their goaltenders. Neither is Edmonton with Koskinen/Smith, despite having two of the Top 5 players in the world up front.

Neither team has had a legit No.1 or even a high-level platoon guy in a long time. As long as he's willing to sign for short-term, I actually expect Rask back after next year.

The shipped call "Trade Krejci fo Value" sailed away awhile ago. The might of gotten value had they moved him after the cup loss to St. Louis. Now, in this cap crunch climate, forget it, even with retention. To move Krejci for a 3rd or 4th round draft pick? What's the point?

If you’re not trying to win and with the cap space they could easily retain on those guys
Both Krejci and Rask are quality players, Rask being elite

Trade Rask, Krejci, trade for MAF+2nd to help out Vegas as they were shopping him with a 2nd.

Have Bergeron-Marchand-MAF as vets

Pasta, McAvoy as franchise building blocks

Keep the defense as is

No need to hit Buffalo/Detroit/Edmonton level

But it won’t happen, they’ll go the worst route, not be good enough to compete not bad enough to draft high

Unlike 2015 there won’t be Bergeron and the company to save them, they are too old

= the point is anything is better what we are currently looking at

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If you’re not trying to win and with the cap space they could easily retain on those guys
Both Krejci and Rask are quality players, Rask being elite

Trade Rask, Krejci, trade for MAF+2nd to help out Vegas as they were shopping him with a 2nd.

Have Bergeron-Marchand-MAF as vets

Pasta, McAvoy as franchise building blocks

Keep the defense as is

No need to hit Buffalo/Detroit/Edmonton level

But it won’t happen, they’ll go the worst route, not be good enough to compete not bad enough to draft high

Unlike 2015 there won’t be Bergeron and the company to save them, they are too old

= the point is anything is better what we are currently looking at

I don't see the point of the Fleury move. What do the Bruins gain there? Rask is 3 years younger, and should be a quality tender longer. Fleury will be soon be 36 and is already declining. I wouldn't count on him as a starter past next year, even next year is debatable. Could you move Rask if you wanted to? Sure you could. But your not getting a sizeable return, not enough to justify the move.

I took a quick glance at cap friendly just to see how many skaters signed in the past couple weeks older than Krejci. I counted FOUR. That's it. And their total combined cap hit is under 5.0 million. Your not getting much for Krejci at this juncture, your just not. Especially with his trade protection. Stastny is about the same age and he brought Vegas back peanuts.

I don't like this middle-ground/purgatory plan any more than you do. But given the minimal return that Krejci and Rask would bring back, I don't see the point of moving them. Given the situation at this current juncture with the cap, revenues, uncertainty when fans will be back, etc. the window of opportunity to move either guy for a meaningful return has clearly closed.

Even Marchand and Bergeron. Do they really bring back a massive return? Certainly higher than Krejci and Rask, but let's take our Bruins glasses off for a minute. Bergeron is 35, makes almost 7 million this year and next, has a history of recent groin problems, and there are whispers he's starting to decline (I tend to agree). Sadly Bergeron is among the league's older players now, number of guys left who were drafted before Bergeron and the class of 2003 is getting awfully short. Even the number from his draft class is dwindling quickly.

Marchand is 32, and while is still producing like an elite player, is also signed for 5 more years with trade protection. Some teams will see that contract as problematic in the long-term. If the Schmidt deal last night is any indication, moving Marchand at this juncture I don't think brings back a huge package of quality assets. I think the return would be decent enough that if they wanted to blow it up, it would be worth it. But the other three core guys? I don't think the return on any of them justifies the move.

We all have to face the fact that Bergeron/Rask/Krejci are older aging players in a league getting younger every year. 2003/2004/2005 was a long time ago. It sucks, but it is what it is. This was the path they chose back in 2015 when they decided to do a "re-tool" rather than strip it down and rebuild.

Reactions: Trizz617

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't see the point of the Fleury move. What do the Bruins gain there? Rask is 3 years younger, and should be a quality tender longer. Fleury will be soon be 36 and is already declining. I wouldn't count on him as a starter past next year, even next year is debatable. Could you move Rask if you wanted to? Sure you could. But your not getting a sizeable return, not enough to justify the move.

I took a quick glance at cap friendly just to see how many skaters signed in the past couple weeks older than Krejci. I counted FOUR. That's it. And their total combined cap hit is under 5.0 million. Your not getting much for Krejci at this juncture, your just not. Especially with his trade protection. Stastny is about the same age and he brought Vegas back peanuts.

I don't like this middle-ground/purgatory plan any more than you do. But given the minimal return that Krejci and Rask would bring back, I don't see the point of moving them. Given the situation at this current juncture with the cap, revenues, uncertainty when fans will be back, etc. the window of opportunity to move either guy for a meaningful return has clearly closed.

Even Marchand and Bergeron. Do they really bring back a massive return? Certainly higher than Krejci and Rask, but let's take our Bruins glasses off for a minute. Bergeron is 35, makes almost 7 million this year and next, has a history of recent groin problems, and there are whispers he's starting to decline (I tend to agree). Sadly Bergeron is among the league's older players now, number of guys left who were drafted before Bergeron and the class of 2003 is getting awfully short. Even the number from his draft class is dwindling quickly.

Marchand is 32, and while is still producing like an elite player, is also signed for 5 more years with trade protection. Some teams will see that contract as problematic in the long-term. If the Schmidt deal last night is any indication, moving Marchand at this juncture I don't think brings back a huge package of quality assets. I think the return would be decent enough that if they wanted to blow it up, it would be worth it. But the other three core guys? I don't think the return on any of them justifies the move.

We all have to face the fact that Bergeron/Rask/Krejci are older aging players in a league getting younger every year. 2003/2004/2005 was a long time ago. It sucks, but it is what it is. This was the path they chose back in 2015 when they decided to do a "re-tool" rather than strip it down and rebuild.

The prospect pool is empty so anything is better than this, this is road to nowhere. The Minnesota of the East

The point of MAF is getting a 2nd round pick to go with it
If you decide to rebuild you don’t need an elite goaltender for the next few years snd Rask wouldn’t play in this league anymore when they would be good

And I don’t buy that with Bergeron, Marhand, Pasta, McAvoy, MAF/Halak we’d hit rock bottom
and ruin the kids

Vegas absolutely had to trade Schmidt, they were even over the offseason +10% limit

Get extra assets, 2nds and so on and build up cap space to be able to make steal trades like that one and Toews one

I can’t stand the Minnesota route where this seems to be going

But this is pointless, they won’t sell or rebuild

Last edited:

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
The prospect pool is empty so anything is better than this, this is road to nowhere. The Minnesota of the East

If you decide to rebuild you don’t need an elite goaltender for the next few years snd Rask wouldn’t play in this league anymore when they would be good

And I don’t buy that with Bergeron, Marhand, Pasta, McAvoy, MAF/Halak we’d hit rock bottom
and ruin the kids

Vegas absolutely had to trade Schmidt, they were even over the offseason +10% limit

Get extra assets, 2nds and so on and build up vap space to be able to mane steal trades like that one and Toews one

Vegas isn’t moving Fleury, Lehner is having surgery, they’ve decided to keep MAF as insurance.
So what’s your plan B for replacing Rask this year?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

and ruin the kids

Get extra assets, 2nds and so on and build up vap space to be able to mane steal trades like that one and Toews one

That is exactly what they are now. And like Minnesota, there isn't much they can do about it. Minnesota are making moves, but their older core guys (Suter, Parise, etc.) aren't about to bring back valuable young assets like picks and prospects.

Reactions: BB88

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Add the most important piece for TB in Hedman.
Biggest difference maker between the teams.

No argument here, but the difference is that we actually have the opportunity to draft players like Point/Palat/Kucherov, whereas to get a Victor Hedman, you have to pick 1 or 2 overall and it has to be a good draft year.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Vegas isn’t moving Fleury, Lehner is having surgery, they’ve decided to keep MAF as insurance.

They were shopping him last week with a 2nd round pick added, no takers.

With the agent mess it would have been bestcyo get him moved but won’t happen

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Isnt the trade to move Rask for Fleury? I feel like you could get a 1st back in that deal.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
At this moment the team is worse than what it was last week.
The two headed dragon had known need. Assets to trade. Money to spend.

Fail.

Im beyond disappointed.

they have been relying on an all time best line, great special teams and superb goaltender.

They may have lost their best PK defenseman in Chara (can you picture Gryz going up against all the first lines Chara did, lol?), one of their better checkers and PK'ers in Nordstrom and their QB on the PP in Krug, who may have been the best in the game at that.....and all that is ok if you replace them. They give a thank you deal to an old friend in Miller and sign a 3rd line RW in Smith (if he's on your second line, you're not winning it all)...

Time is ticking.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
they have been relying on an all time best line, great special teams and superb goaltender.

They may have lost their best PK defenseman in Chara (can you picture Gryz going up against all the first lines Chara did, lol?), one of their better checkers and PK'ers in Nordstrom and their QB on the PP in Krug, who may have been the best in the game at that.....and all that is ok if you replace them. They give a thank you deal to an old friend in Miller and sign a 3rd line RW in Smith (if he's on your second line, you're not winning it all)...

Time is ticking.
I feel like losing Chara would be the least of this teams concerns

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT

Time is ticking.
If the bolded above is true that they were doing a favor for an old good soldier then I’d be downright sick if they weren’t fired.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
They were shopping him last week with a 2nd round pick added, no takers.

With the agent mess it would have been bestcyo get him moved but won’t happen
And now they are no longer shopping him. You’re still pushing the “trade Rask” theme, my question to you is who do you replace him with if you still have Bergeron Krejci Marchand on this team expecting to compete for a Cup this coming season?

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
The front office seems to be in limbo. Are they trying to make a run the next 2 years with this core, or are they rebuilding? Pick a side and roll with it.

If their intent is to go for it with this core then why cling to Studnicka? I think he has potential but is he a future franchise player? Admittedly I don’t know enough about him. He’s seemed “good” when I’ve watched him live but he’s never wowed me. Either include him in a trade or trade Bergeron Rask Krejci and start the rebuild

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario

Part of me hopes the Bruins brass reads stuff like this - but then the pragmatic part of me realizes it won't do any good - they're arrogantly insulated from any real threat until bottom lines start being impacted. Man, I am REALLY souring on this team right now. Moreso than any time I've watched since the 1990 cup run.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Lehner is their guy. Why would they trade for 7m Rask considering they’re already facing cap heat?
Because he only has one year instead of two like Fleury. He's also better if they need him to fill in for an extended period.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Scott McLaughlin did, too.
What exactly is Bruins’ plan after missing out on trio of D bargains?
"After losing Torey Krug, the biggest question mark on the Bruins’ roster is clearly the left side of their defense. Two very good left-shot defensemen got traded for scraps in cap-clearing moves Monday, and the best left-shot D remaining on the free agent market signed a cheap one-year prove-it deal.

Where were the Bruins?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad