Management Sweeney addresses media: All Sweeney Talk Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
he had a terrible play-offs and his new long term deal is just kicking in. He needs to be the Coyle they got in '19, not '20 or he will be turned on pretty quickly.

I thought he was not as good as the 19 playoff version, but I thought he was still pretty good. The problem was, he didn't have a legit middle 6 winger playing with him like in '19 ( MoJo ). They tried plugging Ritchie, Kulhman, Studnicka and Bjork on his wing, which is a downgrade from the MoJo -- Heinen tandem.

I do think his year as a whole was VERY good and exactly what we needed and more. He carried that 3rd line single handed, despite the revolving, under performing winger situation Coyle was asked to put on his back.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
A whole 4 days! Oh no!!

Christ, the ignorance in this thread is appalling. How about we wait until the team actually sucks before releasing your inner 98.5?
Yeah because there's been no good players signed by other teams the last four days. "Ignorance" :laugh:

Reactions: Gordoff

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
We'll know it. Like in 2006. Or like in 2015 when it was clear the roster needed an enema. I don't think we're at that point.
I think in today’s salary cap world, there’s a standard curve with few teams that can credibly compete for the Cup, a wide hump of teams in the middle and a few teams at the other end who are clearly out of it.

I think this club has now drifted into that large middle hump and is drifting farther away from the competitive few, due largely to managerial misfeasance and an aging core.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Is this the thread where we talk to sweeney? Whats the plan man? Original 6 team going into the year with 2 rookies on the left side with no contingency? We tried that before up front and it was a disaster

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I think in today’s salary cap world, there’s a standard curve with few teams that can credibly compete for the Cup, a wide hump of teams in the middle and a few teams at the other end who are clearly out of it.

I think this club has now drifted into that large middle hump and is drifting farther away from the competitive few, due largely to managerial misfeasance and an aging core.

In most sports leagues now, you either want to be a top 5 or bottom 5 team. That middle section is purgatory.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Don has been a dreadful gm when it comes to just sheer activity. By far one of the least active gms in trade and fa market in the league. By and large when he does make a move it tends to work but not enough moves, especially this offseason when its clear minus krug and chara the team is now worse while others in the division are now better. Is he dealing with an internal cap imposed by ownership? Maybe. But he doesnt deserve that scape goat since his MO from day one as gm has been to make very little moves. Ive pondered this before but i really just think gms around the league dont like him and would rather not deal with him. Or maybe he doesnt like them. Either way he doesnt do any thing any year to move the needle that much in the offseason. Arguably his best off season acquistion has been sean kuraly, a 4th liner. Not great.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
he had a terrible play-offs and his new long term deal is just kicking in. He needs to be the Coyle they got in '19, not '20 or he will be turned on pretty quickly.

that goes for just about anyone.

when a player exceeds expectations at any point in their career here it’s often sets a new bar, and when not reached? Oh boy, Run ‘em outta town.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Get him outta here

this is a retool season.... it had to happen... All of these former 1st round picks...

Lets see what Senyshyn, Stud, Frederic, Vaaka, Zboril can do. These are not FA signings, but fresh additions to the parent club

member 96824

this is a retool season.... it had to happen... All of these former 1st round picks...

Lets see what Senyshyn, Stud, Frederic, Vaaka, Zboril can do. These are not FA signings, but fresh additions to the parent club

And you think paying Kevan Miller upwards of $2M aligns with that? Or the age of the core? Or the contract structure?

No. Don is doing what he does best, striking out

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
And you think paying Kevan Miller upwards of $2M aligns with that? Or the age of the core? Or the contract structure?

No. Don is doing what he does best, striking out

Yeah, if there is one thing that pisses me off more than anything about this off-season so far it was the Miller contract. What was the goddam point of that, really. It isn't as if the guy was going to have any other offers and pretty much could have been signed right up till training camp if that is what they wanted to do. Hell, the guy is not even medically cleared to play yet. And who knows but that the cap hit is the difference between signing a UFA and another team. Let's take Dadonov for the sake of argument. The Bruins offer him 5mil because that is what they can do with cap and some other team offers him 6. But we could have offered him 6 because I'd rather pay that guy an extra mil over what he is worth than friggin broken down, hasn't played in well over a year, two blown out kneecap 32 year old bad shoulder Kevan Miller. I am pissed dammit!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad