Management Sweeney addresses media: All Sweeney Talk Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Chara will be back for a year. Zboril will be worked in IMO. I think they need to see what they have.

I see no point in that at all. If this is model, and I like it- thanks for posting that as it helps make sense of some things- but why not just do it, then? They need to see how Lauzon handles bigger minutes on his natural left side, Clifton on the right, Zboril yes needs a long look too. Vaak is there on the cusp of taking a bigger role and they still have John Moore on the books (and Miller and Kampfer) as back up. Chara is not coming back in a Kampfer/Moore role if he comes back. You can book that :laugh: so why not just make a clean break and pursue this plan if that is indeed what is happening?

Reactions: Gordoff and BamZoni

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I see no point in that at all. If this is model, and I like it- thanks for posting that as it helps make sense of some things- but why not just do it, then? They need to see how Lauzon handles bigger minutes on his natural left side, Clifton on the right, Zboril yes needs a long look too. Vaak is there on the cusp of taking a bigger role and they still have John Moore on the books (and Miller and Kampfer) as back up. Chara is not coming back in a Kampfer/Moore role if he comes back. You can book that :laugh: so why not just make a clean break and pursue this plan if that is indeed what is happening?

Special teams are everything to Boston. To lose their best PK D and best PP D same summer will be detrimental. Currently the PK shapes up as

PK1 Lauzon-Carlo
Pk2 Gryz/Moore/Zboril-Miller (but prob hurt, so McAvoy or Clifton?)

I think Chara may be seriously contemplating retirement? Just think they would have come to a resolution by now.

Reactions: Gordoff

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I'm not a hockey guru so I have to ask are the Bruins worse than they were last year? Some so called experts say they are
I'm far from an expert, and obviously not a perfect way to look at it. But it's really hard to see how the team is better, unless people are really really underrating our prospects. There's definitely some promise, but likely no different than other teams prospects outside of the bluechippers. Some will make it, some won't. And I don't see high end talent there, so hoping 50/50 of them pan out. (and that's high)

Off-season isn't over. There's still time and these can change. Teams biggest needs: upgrade on 2nd line LW. Defining a pair for McAvoy and Carlo.

Additions/Subtractions to the team: net gain -1
Take out your best offensive (Krug) and defensive (Chara, most likely) defenseman out of the line up without a replacement. -2
Sign a guy to help with the 5-on-5 middle 6. +1

High end talent and age: net gain -1
Another year older for young core Pastrnak+McAvoy. +2
Another year older for aging core (age 34+), Bergeron+Krejci+Rask. -3

Can Sweeney improve the team? I don't know if he's got the ability to given his inability to fill the needs via FA (overpaying the wrong guys, not being able to acquire the right ones to fill our needs. His trades (outside of Coyle) have resulted in an overall loss long term.

I hope he's able to, but I do not see this team better than last season or the season before.

Last edited:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Special teams are everything to Boston. To lose their best PK D and best PP D same summer will be detrimental. Currently the PK shapes up as

PK1 Lauzon-Carlo
Pk2 Gryz/Moore/Zboril-Miller (but prob hurt, so McAvoy or Clifton?)

I think Chara may be seriously contemplating retirement? Just think they would have come to a resolution by now.

The PK may take a hit, but I think you are right. The Bruins were not rushing to offer him a deal and we have all assumed that it was the Bruins moving on, but for all we know he told them he wanted some time to think about it. He did come right out after the playoff exit and say he wants to keep going, but that could have just been in the heat of the moment and the disappointment over what happened and with his own performance- the guy has high personal standards. :dunno:

From what I remember though in the times Chara has been out, the PK hasn't suffered that much. Bruce had Cliffy out killing penalties in the POs. Carlo should be that much better at it, Lauzon has looked good in that role. I think they are okay there overall. For the PP, I do honestly believe that one of Gryz or Charlie can replace Krug. Not the points, probably, but definitely the zone entries and walking the blue line and both are better than Krug if there is a shorthanded rush developing. The slack will be picked up by a forward hopefully. Smith perhaps, or a Dadonov type if they actually sign him.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Chara will be back for a year. Zboril will be worked in IMO. I think they need to see what they have.

I 100% agree that they need to see what they have, but it's just a tough ask when this group is supposed to compete now. Perhaps Sweeney is thinking that he starts with the current group and then makes a trade in-season. That's a major gamble.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
I 100% agree that they need to see what they have, but it's just a tough ask when this group is supposed to compete now. Perhaps Sweeney is thinking that he starts with the current group and then makes a trade in-season. That's a major gamble.
We've also seen that his mid-season trades haven't exactly been a long term positive yet. (outside of Coyle)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
the thing is...

The Islanders haven't won shit.
Toronto hasn’t been in a Finals since 1967

Montreal hasn’t won in 25 years

the Blackhawks won after multiple years of sucking

they picked Kane 1 Toews 3 Barker 3 Skille 7

Penguins ~ Whitney 5, Fleury 1, Crosby 1, Malkin 2, Staal 2

Caps~ Ovechkin 1 Backstrom 4 or 5

bottom line Bruins fans want their cake and eat it too

ideal scenario for Bruins fan

be preseason Cup favorite October 1

if they win ‘yah so what experted’

if they lose they can whine

I get it Sweeney blows and as Pia wants fire him

and I get what Eric says he put out a team for a home game 7 that Vegas had one of biggest game 7 favorites in years’

he put out a team on March 10th 2020 with the most points in the league that without the great Torey Krug and overrated I’m reading Brandon Carlo Shutout the red hot 9 wins in a row Flyers in Philadelphia , behind their soft Goalie Tuukka Rask.

I hate to break it to you they will be right back at or near the top again Next season and next offseason more D and F grades I’m sure

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012

I still think there are holes at forward, but I am more willing to see the young defensemen be given a shot on defense, especially if it means their defensemen won't be shy anymore when it comes to carrying the puck out of their zone to start offensive rushes. More uptempo play from the defense will help the forwards develop a presence in the offensive zone.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital

and I get what Eric says he put out a team for a home game 7 that Vegas had one of biggest game 7 favorites in years’

he put out a team on March 10th 2020 with the most points in the league that without the great Torey Krug and overrated I’m reading Brandon Carlo Shutout the red hot 9 wins in a row Flyers in Philadelphia , behind their soft Goalie Tuukka Rask.

I hate to break it to you they will be right back at or near the top again Next season and next offseason more D and F grades I’m sure

An homage to Pink Floyd.
TIME
Our team’s not the same; in a relative way.
Our core’s older.
Shorter of breath; and closer to playoff death.

member 96824

Bruins are subscribing to the New York Islanders model

Adam Pelech- 4 years OHL, 2 years AHL
Devon Toews, 3 years college, 2.5 years AHL
Ryan Pulock, 4 years OHL, 3 years AHL
Scott Mayfield, 2 years college, 3.5 years AHL

Zboril- 3 years Q, 3 years AHL
Lauzon- 4 years Q, 2 years AHL
Clifton- 4 years college, 2 years AHL
Vaak- 3 years Finland, 2 years AHL
Gryz- 4 years college, 1 year AHL

Isles one one of the best D units last year....and ours doesn't even count Mac and Carlo who flew through the system. We got spoiled with them, but look at the Islanders guys and how long it took them. Our guys can be just as good.

I thought we were following the ducks model?

Can we follow a model of anyone that’s won anything? Or maybe a team that scored more goals than they gave up last year? That would be a good place to start.

Right now we’re following the Chiarelli model.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I thought we were following the ducks model?

Can we follow a model of anyone that’s won anything? Or maybe a team that scored more goals than they gave up last year? That would be a good place to start.

Right now we’re following the Chiarelli model.

I missed the Ducks reference.

They believe a young guy or two can step in. Maybe they got their company credit card taken away by the boss? Krug was not great 5v5, so what are they losing there in all reality? I understand the consternation, but how do we know Lauzon and Zboril can't be the next Carlo and have a very good rookie year? When Neely said we have to be honest with ourselves, maybe they see this team ISN'T going to be that great no matter what they add? I mean Bergeron and Krejci two of the past three playoff series have not be good...looked old....I mean the TB 3rd line shut the perfection line down and like normal no other line could pick the team up.

Reactions: kjpm

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
it was pretty painfully obvious last year Chara and Krug were terrible in the play-offs for the most part, and that was with rest. Is moving forward without them really the worst thing in the world? People would actually have given Krug SEVEN years?
I think it's more so looking at the aging core and going into the offseason with question marks at the top 4 LD.

Statistically speaking, Grzelcyk - McAvoy is a great pairing. That pairing may turn off some folks who think Grzelcyk is too small and now see their #3LD become their #1LD.

I think if you look back to the 2019 playoffs against the Hurricanes, in the one game Chara was out, the Bruins looked like a whole different animal with their uptempo play and pace. That was with Moore being paired with McAvoy. Have to think that's what management wants more of, and for McAvoy and Carlo to grow and be the leaders on their pair rather than being the supporting cast to their linemates which they have been since they broke into the league.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Dan this sounds like Harry Sinden wrote it, after probably half the years of Ray Bourque's career.

It's not about the Cup, it's about being "near the top".

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Sweeney is a wizard who knew a long time ago that the cap crunch will happen in 2020.
Should he had taken Chabot, Barzal and Connor in 2015 papa Jeremy maybe wouldn't be able to renovate the Garden to this day.
Barzal is going to command at least $7-8M
Chabot is already at $8M
Connor at $7.1M looks like a discount

Sweeney's master plan was to draft cheap prospects, bury them in the minors untill they pop up, give them a healthy rise 50k to 100k with a smile once they are due and get an award GM OF THE YEAR.

Irony off

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
it was pretty painfully obvious last year Chara and Krug were terrible in the play-offs for the most part, and that was with rest. Is moving forward without them really the worst thing in the world? People would actually have given Krug SEVEN years?
We still need someone to play in those positions/roles. Ideally a real top pair would be able to do that, as well as be McAvoys partner.

No, I don't think we should have given Krug 7 years, but a plan B needs to happen.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

That is one thing that has me LOLing a bit here- in the rush to trash Sweeney (and believe me, I have some problems with his methods and choices) they cry about letting Krug walk when the majority of them wanted him gone. He was too small, played poor D etc etc. If Sweeney had re-signed him to what he wanted it would be the same reaction- he sucks, he's stupid, what was he thinking. I am fine with Krug moving on, with not giving him that contract, and looking to Gryz and McAvoy to step it up on the PP to replace him.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Bruins are subscribing to the New York Islanders model

Adam Pelech- 4 years OHL, 2 years AHL
Devon Toews, 3 years college, 2.5 years AHL
Ryan Pulock, 4 years OHL, 3 years AHL
Scott Mayfield, 2 years college, 3.5 years AHL

Zboril- 3 years Q, 3 years AHL
Lauzon- 4 years Q, 2 years AHL
Clifton- 4 years college, 2 years AHL
Vaak- 3 years Finland, 2 years AHL
Gryz- 4 years college, 1 year AHL

Isles one one of the best D units last year....and ours doesn't even count Mac and Carlo who flew through the system. We got spoiled with them, but look at the Islanders guys and how long it took them. Our guys can be just as good.

I feel it’s a losing battle and you’re wasting another season of the core that doesn’t have many left. It honestly ends once one of Bergeron/Krejci take a step back. They are your driving force to being successful. Bergeron is the glue for the top line and if he falls behind I don’t think marchand and Pastrnak will be as successful.

Those guys could all be future studs but the chances that’s true are slim. Back to wasting the cores chance, what happens when the stars don’t align and your left side doesn’t come together while the core is still playing a high level?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I feel it’s a losing battle and you’re wasting another season of the core that doesn’t have many left. It honestly ends once one of Bergeron/Krejci take a step back. They are your driving force to being successful. Bergeron is the glue for the top line and if he falls behind I don’t think marchand and Pastrnak will be as successful.

Those guys could all be future studs but the chances that’s true are slim. Back to wasting the cores chance, what happens when the stars don’t align and your left side doesn’t come together while the core is still playing a high level?

What happens if Bergy's groin gives out this season and Krejci's hip fails? That could happen and it could have happened last season too. At some point the turnover has to get underway or they will get to a point where Krejci/Bergeron really are finished and they'll have no idea what is in the cupboard and then it really is grim times.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
What happens if Bergy's groin gives out this season and Krejci's hip fails? That could happen and it could have happened last season too. At some point the turnover has to get underway or they will get to a point where Krejci/Bergeron really are finished and they'll have no idea what is in the cupboard and then it really is grim times.

This is why I come to HFBoards. A simple rebuttal that just makes so much sense.

I guess I wish they integrated some of these guys more last year so you’d have a better idea or they could add at least one veteran to the top 4 and go with a couple kids. They lost their solidified 3 guy this year and you’re 2 guy is a 6/7 guy now. They’re going into this season with a bunch of 5-7s that have potential (some more than others) to grow into 2-4’s. A reliable veteran like Martinez or a younger more experienced player like Theodore, Hanifin, Nurse, etc. would make me feel a lot better. Too many wildcards in the defensive lineup right now. It’s exciting but scary with how the team is built.

member 96824

I missed the Ducks reference.

They believe a young guy or two can step in. Maybe they got their company credit card taken away by the boss? Krug was not great 5v5, so what are they losing there in all reality? I understand the consternation, but how do we know Lauzon and Zboril can't be the next Carlo and have a very good rookie year? When Neely said we have to be honest with ourselves, maybe they see this team ISN'T going to be that great no matter what they add? I mean Bergeron and Krejci two of the past three playoff series have not be good...looked old....I mean the TB 3rd line shut the perfection line down and like normal no other line could pick the team up.

The ducks model reference was what we were being sold on these boards in 2015 and 16 when we were reaching all over the place for draft picks and paying out the nose for Beleskey, Backes, and any other size.

On the 2nd part I agree with you but there’s the other side of that coin too...are they just going to let Krejci and Rask walk at the end of the year? Have they just given up in a “well f*** it, can’t sell but not good enough to buy so we’ll see what happens?”

If the team believes their not going to be great, that’s fine..start restructuring for the next cup window.

A lot of the reason we sit in a position that we sit today asset wise and succession plan wise isn’t just bad drafting, it’s also having little to nothing to show for key assets under Cam and Don’s watch:
Loui Eriksson
Torey Krug
Reilly Smith
Milan Lucic
Martin Jones
Dougie Hamilton

collectively have netted us the following roster pieces under Don and Cam’s watch:

Jeremy Lauzon
Sean Kuraly

Are they comfortable adding David Krejci and Tuukka Rask to that pile if they believe they’re not good enough no matter what they add?

Edit: I should also say, if that’s their assessment I would highly highly highly disagree with it..especially with Nate Schmidt’s of the world flying around for 3rds.

Last edited by a moderator:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
The ducks model reference was what we were being sold on these boards in 2015 and 16 when we were reaching all over the place for draft picks and paying out the nose for Beleskey, Backes, and any other size.

On the 2nd part I agree with you but there’s the other side of that coin too...are they just going to let Krejci and Rask walk at the end of the year? Have they just given up in a “well f*** it, can’t sell but not good enough to buy so we’ll see what happens?”

If the team believes their not going to be great, that’s fine..start restructuring for the next cup window. A lot of the reason we sit in a position that we sit today asset wise and succession plan wise isn’t just bad drafting, it’s also having little to nothing to show for key assets under Cam and Don’s watch: Loui Eriksson, Torey Krug, Reilly Smith, Milan Lucic, Martin Jones, and Dougie Hamilton collectively have netted us the following roster pieces under Don and Cam’s watch:
Jeremy Lauzon
Sean Kuraly

Are they comfortable adding David Krejci and Tuukka Rask to that pile if they believe they’re not good enough no matter what they add?

This is absolutely frightening. We cannot allow this management group to rebuild. Oh f*** that is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad