Management Sweeney addresses media: All Sweeney Talk Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
The day you lose to be put out of the playoffs or Cup final.
So, you ignore the weather forecast and wait til the hurricane blows your house down. Check.

It’s the job of management to project, to look ahead, to predict, to prepare, to plan, to anticipate, to act at the right time.

This management team not only does not do that, but they don’t even learn from their past mistakes. They have neither foresight nor hindsight.

It’s truly astounding.

Last edited:

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
I’ve honestly always felt that Sweeney falls into success because he inherited a great team.

He made a couple of good picks, I like Charlie Coyle, and Halak has been helpful as a backup, but I’m always disappointed with his understanding of value in the NHL. Taking a guy 58th who was projected in the 200s is just the most recent example.

How Schmidt is available for a 3rd and you don’t get him I have no idea. Yet he’s totally fine giving up that or even more for far worse players.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
This week in a nutshell: I would have offered our entire draft from Wednesday for Schmidt but I’m really not all that convinced it would have beaten Vancouver’s offer

It’s sad but the pick I’d really hate to give up is the 6th rounder. Hope Lorhei surprises and kuntar wasn’t awful but yeah.....

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I’ve honestly always felt that Sweeney falls into success because he inherited a great team.

He made a couple of good picks, I like Charlie Coyle, and Halak has been helpful as a backup, but I’m always disappointed with his understanding of value in the NHL. Taking a guy 58th who was projected in the 200s is just the most recent example.

How Schmidt is available for a 3rd and you don’t get him I have no idea. Yet he’s totally fine giving up that or even more for far worse players.

I can't think of many GMs who started off with the quality of team he did. That 2014-15 team would of been a playoff team had they not decided to role through the whole year with an inadequate back-up (Svedberg) and run Rask into the ground down the stretch. It's not like he got hired to run a team that had totally bottomed out.

Seriously how many GM's inherit a team that was a year removed from a President's trophy, while being two years removed from a Cup final, and had just drafted a franchise forward (Pastrnak) with a late 1st rounder who was just 18 years old and already a NHL player less than a year prior.

I bet you if you polled Bruins fans, 99% of them would of traded FIVE Trevor Kunters for ONE Nate Schmidt.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Just to put things in perspective......

In the 3 years since the expansion draft, the Vegas Golden Knights have acquired via trade or free agency:

A No. 1 goaltender (Lehner who was extended)

A No.1 D-man (Pietrangelo)

A No.1 RW (Stone who was extended)

The league's top enforcer (Reaves, who was extended)

A Top 6 scoring LW (Pacioretty who was extended)

Not to mention the acquisitions of Stastny, Tatar, Stephenson, Martinez, etc.

3 of those mentioned above I would consider core-level players (Lehner, Stone, Pietrangelo).

Seriously, when is the last time the Boston Bruins acquired a core-level player via trade or unrestricted free agency? Nathan Horton? That was a decade ago.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

In the 3 years since the expansion draft, the Vegas Golden Knights have acquired via trade or free agency:

3 of those mentioned above I would consider core-level players (Lehner, Stone, Pietrangelo).

Seriously, when is the last time the Boston Bruins acquired a core-level player via trade or unrestricted free agency? Nathan Horton? That was a decade ago.
Coyle is close... But a tier below.

Otherwise yes, completely agree..

We are also building around the same players we did a decade ago.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Unless he can pull a steal of a trade out of his hat, this off-season has been a failure. Top six not addressed, Krug walked, the third line is solid, but that was the least of our worries. Now the Bruins need a defencemen and a top six right wing

Reactions: Hali33 and Gordoff

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It’s tough for me to bash him for inheriting the team when he was a pretty key member of the front office that put it all together.

He still has to get everything signed off on by Neely. I think people don’t like to take that into consideration because they like Neely more.

If they stand pat and have a meh year next year I’d fire both of them. I don’t think they’re done though. I’ve said it before but with the cap space and roster crunch it’s impossible for them to be done

Reactions: Gordoff

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Don't forget they got Reilly Smith from Florida for only a 4th Rd pick

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
This week in a nutshell: I would have offered our entire draft from Wednesday for Schmidt but I’m really not all that convinced it would have beaten Vancouver’s offer
upload_2020-10-13_2-57-7.jpeg

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
So, you ignore the weather forecast and wait til the hurricane blows your house down. Check.

It’s the job of management to project, to look ahead, to predict, to prepare, to plan, to anticipate, to act at the right time.

This management team not only does not do that, but they don’t even learn from their past mistakes. They have neither foresight nor hindsight.

It’s truly astounding.

What is truly astounding is your opinion of the Bruins past and present management team and your still a Bruins fan, I assume, since you are posting here. The team makes personnel moves all during the season and playoffs based on situations. They are restricted by Cap space and timing as to what moves they can make. They believe they do the best they can within these confines. Sometimes a move is a mistake and sometimes it turns out to be a good move. As for the Bruins, they have earned over 100 points during the regular season 3 years in a row. They have been in the the playoffs the past 4 years in a row. They won the Stanley Cup in 2011, were in the Cup finals two seasons ago. There are fans that would love to have this record. Are they perfect, NO, but then what team is. Team equals owners, management, coaches, and players. I wish the Bruins had the Cap money to buy all the needed players to have a strong team at the start of the season. Does that guarantee a Cup, NO.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Don Sweeney would have never drafted David Pastrnak

This is my biggest problem with the current management team by far. You can add Marchand here as well, for sure. What would our team be without Marchand and Pastrnak? Nothing, not even a playoff team.

It seems that Sweeney only looking for forwards in the Charlie Coyle/Alex Tuch mold. Basically, his ideal player is a 3rd/2nd line tweener with size and speed (preferably from Massachusetts). Sweeney's biggest problem is that he looks at a better team, like St. Louis or Tampa, and thinks its their third liners who beat us, not guys like Point, Kucherov and Palat.

Reactions: bbfan419

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
What is truly astounding is your opinion of the Bruins past and present management team and your still a Bruins fan, I assume, since you are posting here. The team makes personnel moves all during the season and playoffs based on situations. They are restricted by Cap space and timing as to what moves they can make. They believe they do the best they can within these confines. Sometimes a move is a mistake and sometimes it turns out to be a good move. As for the Bruins, they have earned over 100 points during the regular season 3 years in a row. They have been in the the playoffs the past 4 years in a row. They won the Stanley Cup in 2011, were in the Cup finals two seasons ago. There are fans that would love to have this record. Are they perfect, NO, but then what team is. Team equals owners, management, coaches, and players. I wish the Bruins had the Cap money to buy all the needed players to have a strong team at the start of the season. Does that guarantee a Cup, NO.
What’s even more astounding is you actually A. Want to ya d out participation trophies to a pro sports management team for trying hard and B. You are trying to gain credit for a current regime from the work done by a past regime. ‘Oh Sweeney was part of the past regime’.....ya I’m sure Mr Timid Serena really spoke up as an Asst GM lol

Reactions: Gordoff

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
This off season I think we are finally seeing Sweeny's biggest strength, contracts, become a liability. Sweeney very cautious about entering big money long-term deals. This paid off big time in probably his best move, which was trading Lucic for a huge haul (regardless of how he used it) and avoiding a killer 7X6 contract. Now, it is clear that Sweeney is actually too conservative with contracts, and is approaching Harry Sinden territory. We have cap space, there have been good players available via trade and free agency, prices are reasonable, yet we have let talent go rather than acquired it.

Sweeney was brought in largely because of an impression that Chiarelli mismanaged money and gave out too many big contracts. The irony is that none of those Chiarelli contracts look bad 5 years after he as fired. Bergeron, Krejci and Rask are still on Chiarelli contracts and performing at or above their contract price. Chara's long-term contract, which look like it might turn bad, expired long ago and he keeps getting extended. Likewise, in Edmonton, Chiarelli's long term contract for Draisaitl, sort of shocking at the time, looks downright brilliant.

At some point, we need to pay FMV for talent. Sweeney rigidly sticks to an internal cap structure, which is fine when setting a line for RFA's, but won't ever get you a player on the UFA market.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

Sorry MF but the bold makes this offseason even more frustrating for me. Maybe Jacobs wants to just be competitive but the goal is to win the cup and this team as currently constructed showed that they are a piece or two short. That’s on management to fix.

They have almost 15 million in cap space in a flat cap off-season. They are a competitive team. This should be an easy sales pitch. But here we are, staring at 3 glaring holes on the roster, one of which has been staring this team in the face for 5 years.

We’re running out of years where we can kick the can down the road. To quote Socrates “it’s time to s**t or get off the pot!”

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
This is my biggest problem with the current management team by far. You can add Marchand here as well, for sure. What would our team be without Marchand and Pastrnak? Nothing, not even a playoff team.

It seems that Sweeney only looking for forwards in the Charlie Coyle/Alex Tuch mold. Basically, his ideal player is a 3rd/2nd line tweener with size and speed (preferably from Massachusetts). Sweeney's biggest problem is that he looks at a better team, like St. Louis or Tampa, and thinks its their third liners who beat us, not guys like Point, Kucherov and Palat.

Add the most important piece for TB in Hedman.
Biggest difference maker between the teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad