Management Sweeney addresses media: All Sweeney Talk Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Is it though? Because they have a 24-year old Rocket Richard winner and a 22-year old Top pair RD.

How fortunate are the Bruins to have found both of these guys without a benefit of a Top 10 pick? Because without them, the future would look very dark indeed.

The real issue is up the middle with Bergeron and Krejci being 35 and 34 years old. Coyle alleviates that issue somewhat. They absolutely need Studnicka to become a legit scoring center in the NHL, because he's the only A-level prospect they have. But a true No.1 C? Gonna be hard to find one, not impossible, but challenging.

Fortunate, or good scouting?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
There has to be some sort of trade coming by training camp. If not he’s plugging the kids into the holes, and if so that’s pretty disappointing.

why not give him a chance?

in 4 games last season he netted 2 assist... small sample but good start

Here is a nice pre season performance by Senyshyn a few years ago. He has potential to produce oddman rushes .... keep Ds on their heels.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Its pretty nutty how Duclair shot himself in the foot

Not sure what the Sens offered .... looks like he should have taken it

Reactions: Gordoff

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Did they even offer him anything? Considering he wasn't tendered a qualifying offer.

They did and he told them he wanted to see what was available in the open market (without an agent)

The gm probably just chuckled and said goodluck

Because imagine trying to deal his rights or even qualify him which would lead to nowhere.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
They did and he told them he wanted to see what was available in the open market (without an agent)

The gm probably just chuckled and said goodluck

Because imagine trying to deal his rights or even qualify him which would lead to nowhere.

He has a good chance to be Ryan Spooner's line-mate next year.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Is it though? Because they have a 24-year old Rocket Richard winner and a 22-year old Top pair RD.

How fortunate are the Bruins to have found both of these guys without a benefit of a Top 10 pick? Because without them, the future would look very dark indeed.

The real issue is up the middle with Bergeron and Krejci being 35 and 34 years old. Coyle alleviates that issue somewhat. They absolutely need Studnicka to become a legit scoring center in the NHL, because he's the only A-level prospect they have. But a true No.1 C? Gonna be hard to find one, not impossible, but challenging.

Agree primary near term issue is at C and neither Coyle or Studnicka is a slam dunk to be that legit #1. Where they pick each year isn’t likely to result in that guy either. Scoring Depth on the wing would be a huge lift as well as we’ve discussed for some time.

But if that’s indeed the greater concern, then I’m a proponent of at least considering letting go of the likelihood of making the playoffs and winning a round...and perhaps going deeper but only if a ton of breaks come their way...And instead using assets (the aging but still valuable type) to build a new core that yields results a couple years down the road.
That is a tall order and not sure this FO has the guts or ability to pull it off. Hell, it could be that this market, this sports environment right now would make the prohibitive anyway.

we in strange waters.

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Agree primary near term issue is at C and neither Coyle or Studnicka is a slam dunk to be that legit #1. Where they pick each year isn’t likely to result in that guy either.

I agree they need to be thinking about a future #1c, and maybe with the way they're going they'll be drafting higher in the future, but I don't think they have to draft in the top10 to land a #1c. Just keep going after offensive guys until you get lucky. All these #1c's were picked outside the top15; Getzlaf, Bergeron, Aho, Larkin, Danault, Barzal, O’Reilly, Point, Karlsson, Kuznetsov

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I agree they need to be thinking about a future #1c, and maybe with the way they're going they'll be drafting higher in the future, but I don't think they have to draft in the top10 to land a #1c. Just keep going after offensive guys until you get lucky. All these #1c's were picked outside the top15; Getzlaf, Bergeron, Aho, Larkin, Danault, Barzal, O’Reilly, Point, Karlsson, Kuznetsov

Agree it happens. Tough to know you’re #1 need and instead of filling it with a known commodity play the pick and hope you get lucky game.

that’s kind of the rub here. Do you ride the aged vets into the ground and hope your draftees blossom? Or take a stance that the team is about to see some key pieces deteriorate and before that happens you get ahead of it.

Not saying they should absolutely trade a key core piece...but I won’t bark at em if they do it and it brings assets that make them team better and opens a new window.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Agree it happens. Tough to know you’re #1 need and instead of filling it with a known commodity play the pick and hope you get lucky game.

that’s kind of the rub here. Do you ride the aged vets into the ground and hope your draftees blossom? Or take a stance that the team is about to see some key pieces deteriorate and before that happens you get ahead of it.

Not saying they should absolutely trade a key core piece...but I won’t bark at em if they do it and it brings assets that make them team better and opens a new window.
All that being said, do you trust this management group to do the rebuild/restock?

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
All that being said, do you trust this management group to do the rebuild/restock?

I'm not here to say Don should be hung for past failures. That's history. The real issue is his inability to rebuild the team. That's primarily why I'd like to see a change. I dont trust his ability to get the right return (that's not to be confused with a fair return). Secondly, the inability to make the right picks with that return. We simply cannot afford to "go off the board" even once.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
How is it they have only produced one Stanley Cup?

given the teams they’ve iced, the long playoff streaks they’ve had, the very solid teams of the 2007-2013 period and then rising back toward the top the last 3 years, the 1 Cup in 50 years is pretty damn dismal.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
63-37-28
74-46-88
10-13-Smith
52-68-14
21-26

48-73
79-25
33/67-75
27-86

40-41

I'm sorry but that team is still really good. Not sure why so much doom and gloom.

it is a good squad. I think the question is whether it’s good enough to win it all? And if not, it’s not likely the that group gets better next year as 37 is another year older, etc.

So the 2 primary schools of thought are both looking for more...those thinking the window is still open wanted the Hall, Pietro, etc type of addition. Didn’t get it.

Those thinking it’s time to restock are waiting for a bolder move that brings in top young talent or higher picks...and they’re not getting it.

Of course there’s the 3rd perspective of we just had the best regular season record, let’s add a couple lesser pieces, hope that 37/46 stay healthy, make the playoffs and wish that things break to the Bruins advantage. Get to the dance and see what happens. That’s a fair approach.

When management says there will be changes then doesn’t do much in the initial stages of post-season it’s hard to tell what direction they’re going on, youth , strong cup intentions, or roll with what we’ve got and hope for the best. Probably what confounds folks here.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013

They have needed to shake up this core for a while now and have neglected to do so. I guess if you want to call letting Krug go shaking it up you can. But that's really not moving the needle in a positive direction. An offensive blueliner who is effective on the power play is not someone you just simply say is addition by subtraction. Right now they replaced Krug with some internal options and maybe those kids will work out in a year or two. The problem is that Bergy, Krejci, Chara (if he's resigned), and some of the other core players do not have many more years left. It's almost criminal to keep those players here instead of getting the maximum return you can right now. The Bruins are not a cup contender right now and anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. There's too much uncertainty on the blue line and the 2nd line looks to be a turnstile again. You can rebuild/retool around Pasta McAvoy and Marchand and still ice a fairly competitive team.

This organization needs to make multiple moves if they want to get back to true contender status. Yes, they won the president's trophy last year. That doesn't mean they should get a pass this year. Look at the roster. It's a good roster but if you match it up with the Lightning it's really a no-brainer who wins. The Bruins have not improved this team for 2021 at all and really should look into a rebuild/retool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille