Management Sweeney addresses media: All Sweeney Talk Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
Yeah, it's still a good team, but are they better than last year? Krug and Chara out, Smith in. Bergeron, Krejci and Rask a year older.

If we're not going to get better then what are we doing?

I agree. I don't think anyone here is saying they won't make the playoffs. They will. But a 2nd round appearance is probably the ceiling with the team currently constructed.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Yeah, it's still a good team, but are they better than last year? Krug and Chara out, Smith in. Bergeron, Krejci and Rask a year older.

If we're not going to get better then what are we doing?
This is where I'm at.

It feels like a lot of people have a ton of confidence in the group going into next season. Do i think they're a playoff team? Sure. I do however think that Toronto finishes ahead of them, and Montreal will be fairly close.

I don't feel they're better or worse. I feel they're stagnant while other teams in their division clearly improved. That does seem to be the way it goes for the Bruins, though. See Tampa during the deadline.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Why is everyone hating on Wagner? He is one of the most active hitters in the NHL. When that line had a center he scored 12 goals which is better than most of the 2nd line RW's we've had over the last 5 years. He gets 70% Dzone starts and has an xGA of 24, which I'm told is very, very good. (Thanks @Gator Mike !)

He wasn't brought in here to fight. He was brought in to be hard to play against. He and Kuraly are both hard to play against. They can skate, they can defend, they're heavy, they work the boards and go to the net. Give them a good center like Acciari or maybe Trent Frederic going forward and that's a really effective line.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Why is everyone hating on Wagner? He is one of the most active hitters in the NHL. When that line had a center he scored 12 goals which is better than most of the 2nd line RW's we've had over the last 5 years. He gets 70% Dzone starts and has an xGA of 24, which I'm told is very, very good. (Thanks @Gator Mike !)

He wasn't brought in here to fight. He was brought in to be hard to play against. He and Kuraly are both hard to play against. They can skate, they can defend, they're heavy, they work the boards and go to the net. Give them a good center like Acciari or maybe Trent Frederic going forward and that's a really effective line.

What are your thoughts on this line?

Ritchie - Kuraly - Wagner

I don't know if Cassidy does it though as I doubt he trusts Ritchie enough defensively to put him on this line and still use it the way he has the past 3 seasons.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
What are your thoughts on this line?

Ritchie - Kuraly - Wagner

I don't know if Cassidy does it though as I doubt he trusts Ritchie enough defensively to put him on this line and still use it the way he has the past 3 seasons.

Ritchie would have to become a much more active player for me to get behind any lineup with him in it. He just looked a step behind everyone last year. He does play heavy and I like that he fights occasionally, just to have that element in the lineup. I'm willing to give him a shot and will root for him to succeed, but he's got to put in a lot of work to get his pace up to Cassidy's standards and style of play.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Ritchie would have to become a much more active player for me to get behind any lineup with him in it. He just looked a step behind everyone last year. He does play heavy and I like that he fights occasionally, just to have that element in the lineup. I'm willing to give him a shot and will root for him to succeed, but he's got to put in a lot of work to get his pace up to Cassidy's standards and style of play.

I agree. I just don't know where else to put him. There are 9 forwards ahead of him that should comprise the Top 3 lines. At least on this line he might be able to embrace being part of a hard and heavy line that has an identity to it and buy into the concept.

I've said before he needs to get down to around 215-220 and hopefully that will help his endurance and footspeed.

Reactions: PB37

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
For what it's worth, the 4th line played incredibly difficult minutes last year.

A guy like Chris Wagner was in the 1st percentile in terms of offensive zone start percentage (99% of the league had a higher percentage of offensive zone starts), while he was in something like the 70th percentile in average time on ice vs. elite players. If there was a defensive zone faceoff against the other team's top line, it was probably Wagner and Kuraly heading over the boards. They took a ton of defensive pressure off the Bergeron line, and until the Tampa series, they held their own.

He's physical, he's tough, and he's a pretty good defensive forward/penalty killer.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I like Wagner and the game he brings, but in retrospect, I don't think he was effective as he was in his first season as a Bruin. Maybe @PlayMakers is right in that he would benefit from a center helping to push the needle on the forecheck, seeing as Kuraly was also not as effective as he was in 2018 ( noticeable footspeed loss in my eyes ). Stud or Frederic could be a revelation to the 4th liners and help revive their game.

Cassidy leans a lot on the 4th line as a match up line against the other team's top line at times. I think he likes the idea of a heavy checking line that can be able to get the puck in deep away from our offensive zone and bring pressure on the forecheck. The loss of Accari was a big one for the makeup of the team and how Cassidy likes to deploy the troops.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Wagner is a fine 4th line player, using him as an example of the Bruins being tough or not being soft is where he starts to grief, at least as far as I see it.,

Also for about 500k more they could have had Ryan Reaves, better player, better hitter and much bigger.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

No problem with Chris Wagner. A keeper.

He's not the problem.

Neely and Sweeney are.

Reactions: Gordoff

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I agree. I just don't know where else to put him. There are 9 forwards ahead of him that should comprise the Top 3 lines. At least on this line he might be able to embrace being part of a hard and heavy line that has an identity to it and buy into the concept.

I've said before he needs to get down to around 215-220 and hopefully that will help his endurance and footspeed.

I'm sure he's a nice guy, but Nick Ritchie has no place on the Bruins roster, as he is apparently out of shape, slow to skate, and bone-headed to boot.

Sweeney and Neely are dopes, which seems to be the case, if they believe ONE GUY, and evidently not a very effective guy, can provide physicality for the entire roster.

If so, over five years, they don't know what they're doing.

Again: Washington. St. Louis. Tampa Bay. Swift, skill, physical.

Yes, Don, you can have them all.

Jesus.

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
I'm sure he's a nice guy, but Nick Ritchie has no place on the Bruins roster, as he is apparently out of shape, slow to skate, and bone-headed to boot.

Sweeney and Neely are dopes, which seems to be the case, if they believe ONE GUY, and evidently not a very effective guy, can provide physicality for the entire roster.

Jesus.
He actually kinda looks like he’s not ya know what I mean? Just judging a book by its cover but he sure does have that resting disgruntled face going on lol

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
He actually kinda looks like he’s not ya know what I mean? Just judging a book by its cover but he sure does have that resting disgruntled face going on lol
I like disgruntled.
I actually have no problem with his play in the Tampa game. Dropped the gloves with Paquette to defend a teammate, threw a dirty hit and dropped his gloves again to settle the issue. He was the only one who seemed to care and the only one to stand up to Tampas physical dominance. Next game? Benched by Cassidy. Having your teammates backs is quickly punished.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Jesus.

Makes you wonder did they even scout this guy before making the deal? Seriously did one of their pro scouts come back and give a positive report about this guy?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
This is where I'm at.

It feels like a lot of people have a ton of confidence in the group going into next season. Do i think they're a playoff team? Sure. I do however think that Toronto finishes ahead of them, and Montreal will be fairly close.

I don't feel they're better or worse. I feel they're stagnant while other teams in their division clearly improved. That does seem to be the way it goes for the Bruins, though. See Tampa during the deadline.
Canadiens are not a threat.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
No problem with Chris Wagner. A keeper.

He's not the problem.

Neely and Sweeney are.
Wonder if the fans in Tbay were saying the same thing about management when they had Stanley Cup contender for a decade and won shit.
Capitals ...........how many presidents trophies before bowing out in the first two rounds every year?

Flyers had a top team for 20 years with out winning a single Cup.

As a Hab fan I would love to have Sweeney and Neely over Bergevin and Molson .......... all day long. Heck, out side the crease Bruins have iced at least 10 players that are better than any player the Canadiens have had in 20, maybe 30 years!

But I like how your fans keep the bar high. In Montreal if they almost make the play offs its a pretty good season, and Bergevin is "heading in the right direction"

Be nice to have a team where the narrative is not constantly on "prospects" and "the right way to build a team".

You guys have had a great decade of fantastic hockey. The Canadiens have been barely watchable for last six years.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Against a depleted Bruins team to start the season?
The Canadiens lost 8 straight games last year.............twice. Another Bergevin franchise record in futility.

Lost 4 out of 4 in regulation to the Dead Wings too boot.

Believe me...........they stink.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Wonder if the fans in Tbay were saying the same thing about management when they had Stanley Cup contender for a decade and won shit.
Capitals ...........how many presidents trophies before bowing out in the first two rounds every year?

As a Hab fan I would love to have Sweeney and Neely over Bergevin and Molson .......... all day long. Heck, out side the crease Bruins have put up probaly 10 players that are bettter than anyone the Canadiens have had in 20 maybe even 30 years.

But I like how your fans keep the bar high. In Montreal if they almost make the play offs its a pretty good season and Bergevin is "heading in the right direction"

Be nice to have a team where the narrative is not constantly on "prospects" and "the right way to build a team".

You guys have had a great decade of fantastic hockey. The Canadiens have been barely watchable for last six years.

Nah, the Florida hockey fans are much more sophisticated.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Really? He reminds me of, say, Joe Thorton, in that he seems laid back and why is everyone so serious?

In any case, I don't want him, but of course Sweeney and Neely will hang on to Ritchie. Two fails on the Ritchie's. Let's go for a third.

They want some "toughness" in their lineup. Hand it over to one guy. That will work. It's worked so far.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Makes you wonder did they even scout this guy before making the deal? Seriously did one of their pro scouts come back and give a positive report about this guy?

I will only add what I have before. Kirk Luedeke, who follows such things closely, opined when the deal was made that the Ducks would never part with a 24 year old, former top ten overall draft selection if they thought he would come around.

The guy is a stiff. Get rid of him.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

As a Hab fan I would love to have Sweeney and Neely over Bergevin and Molson .......... all day long. Heck, out side the crease Bruins have iced at least 10 players that are better than any player the Canadiens have had in 20, maybe 30 years!

But I like how your fans keep the bar high. In Montreal if they almost make the play offs its a pretty good season, and Bergevin is "heading in the right direction"

Yes, and that makes you both spoiled, and greedy. I'll cop to it, since in the previous 34 years before Chiarelli & Julien's arrival, the Bruins were Frustration, Inc., and then Futility, Inc. under Sinden and OC.

Alternately, those who complain that the Bruins are not a Cup contender every year might remember that when Peter, and then Claude came to the Bruins, the franchise was a joke. No one wanted to come here.

They completely turned around the culture of the club, with vital assistance from peerless leaders like Z and Patrice. Up and down the line, Chia built a gritty, physical and relatively talented team that stood up for one another.

It was a glorious thing to witness.

I miss that. Really, really do. What I see now is, again, mediocrity, a Burns-imposed internal cap, dithering, and ultimate failure.

Sorry. Not sorry.

Reactions: PlayMakers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad