Management Sweeney addresses media: All Sweeney Talk Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
That's not success? Lost to a dynasty in MTL and Edmonton. I will give you the Blues. Hate that we lost to them...
I hate that it was so winnable. They showed up or their goalie stood on his head in the games they needed him to, and we just fell short in many ways. Bad calls (or non-calls), a few mistakes from our guys in key moments, and a hot Binnington screwed us.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Then why has Chris Wagner been a staple in the lineup?
Yeah, how could I have forgotten how tough and feared Wagner is. He's often mentioned along with Jay Miller, Probert, McSorley, etc. I'm glad we have him under a long, hefty contract.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
eh, that's a misleading way to put it

they have one cup in the last 53 years, we have two in the last 48.... and two finals appearances

Not just cups , been to 3 finals and won one. Playoff success as well. I know we all want the cup every year, but lets be realistic, it doesn't work that way. Patriots are the exception to the rule in sports IMO

Bruins have been to the finals 10 times since 1970, winning 3 and losing 7.

When you think about it, considering the lock-out of 2005 cancelled the playoffs that year, the Bruins have appeared in 20% of all cup finals since 1970 (10 out of 50), and the Bruins have appeared in the finals more times than any other NHL team from 1970 to 2020.

Bruins - 10
Habs - 9
Flyers - 8
Oilers - 7
Wings/Hawks/Penguins - 6
Islanders/Devils/Stars - 5
Rangers - 4
Leafs - 0

Reactions: ylekot and lopey

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
Out of curiosity - are there any former Bruins who are interested in this GM/president's job that would be highly qualified? No one is jumping out at me. Not that a GM has to be a former player.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
The majority of teams who’ve won multiple Cups since the 80’s had generational players leading them (with some exceptions of course).

Most recent example being Crosby/ Malkin. Toews/ Kane while excellent players aren’t exactly generational, but they were top draft picks. The Bruins will have to completely tank to draft that high.

The last generational player the Bruins have had was Ray Bourque.

They had a core of Bourque and Neely and still couldn't win. Bourque is widely considered as a top 3 best defenseman of all time.

But the bolded will never happen while Jacobs owns the team and that's the point. Sweeney will probably be the GM for a long time.

Last edited:

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
So, how exactly did he do that? Considering he makes no hockey decisions.

As late as 1993 the Bruins had the 2nd best record in the league. How was it a joke at he end?

After 93 the whole thing fell like a deck of cards. Jacobs is responsible for hiring everyone and it's often said that he accounted for 1 round in the playoffs when doing his budget. Harry went out and executed the plan to a T. Unless you think that Moog for Casey was a great decision. Stevens coming in etc... If you follow the transactions after that Buffalo series it was nothing but seven years of train wreck after train wreck with the only bright spot being Thornton who they would sell for peanuts later on.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
They had a core of Bourque and Neely and still couldn't win.

But the bolded will never happen while Jacobs owns the team and that's the point.

Why would we want a tank? I agree with that aspect of JJ's ownership. Who wants to have a crap team to watch just so you can get a higher first round pick that might be a bust anyway (Zach Hamill, Lars Jonsson, Jonathan Aitken). Their track record with top ten picks is not that great, really-the most recent ones they've hit on aren't even with the team anymore (Dougie, Seguin). Rather a good team that even if it is not great, has a chance, than a tank job so they can draft the next Peter Mueller or the next star for the Florida Panthers.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Then why has Chris Wagner been a staple in the lineup?
we are in trouble when Chris Wagner is used as the Boston Bruins example of tough. i dont want a team of goons but i would like some snarl on our 4th line. we have none. how often have scrubs like Maroon been mentioned on this board. quite a bit, you know why? he does his job well. do you think any other teams fans on this site or anywhere else talk about Chris Wagner and his career high 51 pims when the Bruins are in town? do you think fans of other teams "hate" Wagner the way we hate Maroon or wilson or those gritty players. not a chance Wagner gets mentioned yet he gets a 3 year extension from Sweeney and is your shiny example of how the Bruins arent soft?

Reactions: Fenian24

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
Yeah, how could I have forgotten how tough and feared Wagner is. He's often mentioned along with Jay Miller, Probert, McSorley, etc. I'm glad we have him under a long, hefty contract.
A lot of people were singing his praises when he was first signed because he hit a lot and would be a "tough" addition. Don't try to revise it just because he stinks and his hitting brings exactly nothing.

Edited for to remove the insults

Last edited:

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
we are in trouble when Chris Wagner is used as the Boston Bruins example of tough. i dont want a team of goons but i would like some snarl on our 4th line. we have none. how often have scrubs like Maroon been mentioned on this board. quite a bit, you know why? he does his job well. do you think any other teams fans on this site or anywhere else talk about Chris Wagner and his career high 51 pims when the Bruins are in town? do you think fans of other teams "hate" Wagner the way we hate Maroon or wilson or those gritty players. not a chance Wagner gets mentioned yet he gets a 3 year extension from Sweeney and is your shiny example of how the Bruins arent soft?
Most teams don't have a guy like that. Maroon is mentioned because he happened to be on teams that won the Cup, not because he was an actual significant force in his teams' victories. I'd rather not have a penalty kill generator on this team just to satisfy some nostalgic fanwank for the Big Bad Bruins.

I also don't think most other fanbases talk about Maroon in that way that you describe, either. Nobody is intimidated by him. And everyone here was honkin their puds over Wagner when he first signed with the Bruins because he had a ton of hits and was "tough".

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Bruins have been to the finals 10 times since 1970, winning 3 and losing 7.

When you think about it, considering the lock-out of 2005 cancelled the playoffs that year, the Bruins have appeared in 20% of all cup finals since 1970 (10 out of 50), and the Bruins have appeared in the finals more times than any other NHL team from 1970 to 2020.

Bruins - 10
Habs - 9
Flyers - 8
Oilers - 7
Wings/Hawks/Penguins - 6
Islanders/Devils/Stars - 5
Rangers - 4
Leafs - 0

They unfortunately don't have The Cups...
However, they've been the most consistently good/great team for 50 years, from 100/105+ point seasons to conference finals to President's trophies to Finals to making the playoffs to actual wins, win percentage, etc.
We all know the heartbreak of the playoff losses (and they sucked) but outside of the mid-90s and 2 years post lockout, this has been one of the best teams in the league in my memory and during those freezing cold pitch black February nights, I'd rather watch a very good team and I'd rather watch The Bruins in the playoffs than a Habs vs. Leafs series.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Just for funsies, everyone take a peek at this thread. I'm not exaggerating!!!

Confirmed with Link: - Bruins Sign Chris Wagner

Haha I guess we went a bit far, but let's be fair here. There were some over the top excitement things happening, but the general idea that the Kuraly-Wagner-Acciari line would be good was correct. They were. Really good for a 4th line. Wagner also brought more than who he replaced in Tim Schaller. Wags had a crap season last year, partly because Kuraly also had a crap season. He also should not have gotten that kind of extension and dollars because he is a 4th line guy and if he plays like ass again this season it's going to look really bad in relative terms.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Most teams don't have a guy like that. Maroon is mentioned because he happened to be on teams that won the Cup, not because he was an actual significant force in his teams' victories. I'd rather not have a penalty kill generator on this team just to satisfy some nostalgic fanwank for the Big Bad Bruins.

I also don't think most other fanbases talk about Maroon in that way that you describe, either. Nobody is intimidated by him. And everyone here was honkin their puds over Wagner when he first signed with the Bruins because he had a ton of hits and was "tough".
my point being is that Wagner is simply "just another guy" and does nothing overly well. not a great penalty killer if at all, limited fighting and was not worthy of a 3 year extension.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
Haha I guess we went a bit far, but let's be fair here. There were some over the top excitement things happening, but the general idea that the Kuraly-Wagner-Acciari line would be good was correct. They were. Really good for a 4th line. Wagner also brought more than who he replaced in Tim Schaller. Wags had a crap season last year, partly because Kuraly also had a crap season. He also should not have gotten that kind of extension and dollars because he is a 4th line guy and if he plays like ass again this season it's going to look really bad in relative terms.

The Kuraly - Wagner -Acciari line was good! But not better than the Schaller - Kuraly - Acciari line. And yes, this year the fourth line in nearly all permutations was atrocious. We agree that Wagner should not have gotten that contract. On principle, 4th liners and depth guys should never, ever get term. But again, I just want to point out that a lot of people thought Wagner would be some difference-maker because of his physicality and here we are, two years later, seeing people make the same calls for the exact same type of player. It's exhausting to see what gets memory holed by this fanbase.

Reactions: Dr Hook

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
my point being is that Wagner is simply "just another guy" and does nothing overly well. not a great penalty killer if at all, limited fighting and was not worthy of a 3 year extension.
I don't disagree with any of that. But he's tough and he hits, and those attributes which were praised by certain people when he first signed have not changed those people's declarations for what this team "needs" despite them thinking he was a good solution two years ago. No recognition that maybe there needs to be more than just hitting and being tough to contribute to winning.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
why not give him a chance?

in 4 games last season he netted 2 assist... small sample but good start

Here is a nice pre season performance by Senyshyn a few years ago. He has potential to produce oddman rushes .... keep Ds on their heels.

I don’t mind giving Senyshyn more of a chance, but he’s not the answer.

What they have now isn’t improving the team enough to get where they should be at this point of the core’s time together. It will be another wasted year.

If this is what they’re putting on the ice opening night I’d rather them sell the expiring aging pieces and semi-rebuild.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
They had a core of Bourque and Neely and still couldn't win. Bourque is widely considered as a top 3 best defenseman of all time.

But the bolded will never happen while Jacobs owns the team and that's the point. Sweeney will probably be the GM for a long time.
Neely had big injuries at the most inopportune times. Neely barely made it to age 30 before retiring after missing significant time.

Gretzky/ Messier etc.
Bossy/ Potvin etc.
Lemieux/ Jagr etc.
Crosby/ Malkin

Even those Redwings teams who won were loaded with talent, Yzerman Hull Lidstrom to Datsyuk Zetterberg.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
63-37-28
74-46-88
10-13-Smith
52-68-14
21-26

48-73
79-25
33/67-75
27-86

40-41

I'm sorry but that team is still really good. Not sure why so much doom and gloom.

Yeah, it's still a good team, but are they better than last year? Krug and Chara out, Smith in. Bergeron, Krejci and Rask a year older.

If we're not going to get better then what are we doing?

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Yeah, it's still a good team, but are they better than last year? Krug and Chara out, Smith in. Bergeron, Krejci and Rask a year older.

If we're not going to get better then what are we doing?
Getting worse.

After the shit that was spewed in those press conferences before free agency, they have the audacity to do this.

I don’t get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->