WJC: Sweden WJC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Congrats to Sweden on the Gold Medal win. Out of curiosity, how did Patrik Nemeth play during the tournament?

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
Congrats to Sweden on the Gold Medal win. Out of curiosity, how did Patrik Nemeth play during the tournament?

Nemeth was very good. Made almost no mistakes and showed some flashes of an offensive game as well. Good first pass and can carry the puck out his own zone. Good skater actually. Probably best defensive defensemen in the whole tournament.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
How much press will this get in Sweden?

Was there much discussion before the tournament?

They estimated 1 million (population 9 million) would stay up watching the game.

Heck, even my mother who isn't even interested in hockey calls me before OT to ask what happens now. :laugh: Had no idea she even knew it was playing.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
It took some insane comebacks and three overtimes, but we went through the tournament without a loss. Friberg's two clutch tying goals, Gustafsson's late heroic save, and Zibby's GWG. Lots to remember for sure! Not dissimilar to what Russia did last year, but I'm glad we didn't go 0-3 in the final before winning.

XO

Nov 4, 2009
so proud of everyone.. Gus stepping it up when it was the needed the most..

one hell of a tourney for Sweden with all the comebacks etc. :D:D

WayneBruce

Jun 16, 2011
Could have turned into another nightmare, I was so mad after the first 2 periods when they didn´t score. Awesome finish to the game and the tournament. This will mean a lot for swedish hockey, best thing that could happen to our young guys. They really proved they could win this time.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Great to see a team that manages to win through strong team spirit and good organisation rather than individual talent! I really hope that what we just witnessed was the first sign of Sweden developing into a true international powerhouse at the junior level.

Hopefully we get to retain as many players as possible next winter so that we can go for the repeat! :yo:
What do the 94 and 95-born kids look like at the moment? :sarcasm:

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Richly deserved! I was really glad of this result: finally your amazing programme got the ultimate reward. I don't know what you have done but it's nothing short of a miracle. Can you keep this going on? If this team would have had some of the finishers of your previous years' teams, it would have been murderously supreme in this tournament.

Anyway, we are now finally getting much better, and I foresee a time when even our junior teams will compete on much more equal footing. Our men's team quite assuredly will do it in any case, already enough of young talent coming even though we are long behind your scary breadth.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
That's really impressive.

I think the WJC has grown to that kind of stature much thanks to it being one of the few sporting events that still airs on the Swedish equivalent of the CBC, the rights for almost everything else apart from the football World Cup and the Olympics have been bought by cable and/or premium TV channels that are far from everyone have access to, thus limiting the popularity.

I know the popularity of the "real" World Championships has taken a big hit after having spent the last 20 years bouncing around between one of the major cable channels and their premium TV sports channel.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
what are some swedish sayings at a time like this. Is is heja sverige? I have no clue lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad