WJC: Sweden WJC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSL

Jun 30, 2011
Not sure how much you saw of the game, but Zibanejad had a shot that hit the goal post.

You're being too hard on your team, and you are overall not having a balanced look at things.

You're right I might not be balanced, cause I'm pissed, but I certainly don't think I'm being too hard. Aittokallio had 17 rebounds right infront of his net IN JUST THE 2 FIRST PERIODS, if we can't make anything better out of that, and not even as much as get a guy infront of him to take these rebounds WE SUCK. Have you heard how much talk theres been about how "we've learned from last year"? and then we go out and perform like this... in a SEMI FINAL... AGAINST FINLAND. it's UNACCEPTABLE. Period.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
If Forsberg scored on one of all these chances in the first two games who knows what would've happened. I think that would've been a big relief for him. Rönnberg has tried to give him confidence by playing him in key moments, but ultimately he squeezes his stick too hard. On a game to game basis he's been on the upper side of players in performance. No matter what, this tournament has been great for next year. Collberg and Forsberg both showing they can "carry" a first line. Good tournament for Karlsson to get under his belt aswell.

Btw, Friberg is actually leading the WJC in scoring if we go by points per game, which is more fair than the points race. And goals of course. What a tournament for him.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
He's already shown it, you just dont know what to look for.

Im looking for contribution to the get a win, not 'creating a few chances on the powerplay with nothing to show for it'. He dangles when he shouldnt dangle and he makes alot of weird choices.

skumdum

Jan 4, 2012
Read in a swedish newspaper that Sweden had an "extra hard training" on monday just so that the finns wouldnt have the advantage of having matchtempo in their legs.

Doesnt that seem a bit... Pejorative Slured? Obv, were sitting here with proof of what happened, but the swedish team looked really tired to me, something i noticed prior to reading the article. What exact advantage will you have with extra days off if you use them to train extra hard...? Pls, explain that to me.

24stanleycups*

I'm cheering for you guys tomorrow. I've always focused on how good canada was, expecting them to wipe the floor with every one every year, but you guys have beaten both us and russia. I think you deserve it. You're a humble bunch, your players are humble and I respect that very much. Good luck.

Eaglepride*

Thanks for your kind words. It will be tough but I think the boys will get it done just get that one goal lead and play the trap thats something Russia doesn't like.

Pellegrino

Oct 30, 2007
Sweden
Can't say that I'm too impressed by the Swedish team. There are some great talents there, but a team with such a vastly overrated goal keeper should never be able to go this far in a play-off, if it's truly competitive. I'm not surprised that someone like Max Friberg is scoring for fun, even though I must admit he always looks like "a boy among men" when I watch him play in SEL. Not impressed and can't imagine him ever having a long-term future in the NHL.

Overall I'd say this team is Sweden's weakest in the last few years, but had luck with the draw - by that I mean the fact that we don't have to beat Canada to actually win the tournament. I thank the Russians for that.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Can't say that I'm too impressed by the Swedish team. There are some great talents there, but a team with such a vastly overrated goal keeper should never be able to go this far in a play-off, if it's truly competitive. I'm not surprised that someone like Max Friberg is scoring for fun, even though I must admit he always looks like "a boy among men" when I watch him play in SEL. Not impressed and can't imagine him ever having a long-term future in the NHL.

Overall I'd say this team is Sweden's weakest in the last few years, but had luck with the draw - by that I mean the fact that we don't have to beat Canada to actually win the tournament. I thank the Russians for that.

Team Sweden have played well as a team and I have yet to see us be outplayed in a game (well first 10 minutes against the russians we where in trouble). Sweden have dictated the game in all our games so far, have had the puckpossesion and oushoot the opponents.

The team looks a bit weaker than 2010 and especially 2009 but hey they managed to make the finals unlike those very talanted teams. You can't complain about this team morale and clutchnes.

I do think there will come some NHL-players from this team, but some players will have to take the long road trough a couple of AHL-seasons or seasoning in Sweden. At least the drafted players have made a decent sales pitch to their NHL-team and wil earn contracts.

Friberg has a long road to go, being undersized and all, so the odds are against him to become a regular NHL-player, but he has certainly looked good here. The step from division 1 to Elitserien is a big one to take in a season too.

Harks

Oct 27, 2010
Malmö
pg2_golubev_sy_576.jpg

DEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRPPP!!!!

Never again do I want to see an image as atrouocious,scary, monsterlooking like this. :sarcasm:
Let's go Sweden!

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
To win we need..

..Filip Forsberg to start scoring on at least one of his 150 chances thses WJC:s

..Gustavsson to play much MUCH better than he has so far

..Zibanejad to start dominating with his speed and strenght, hit goddamnit, HIT!

..Klingberg to ride the bench, unless we're down 2-3 goals.

..Brodin to have 30 minutes of ice time

..Collberg to have more ice time than he's gotten so far

..Rakell to crash the net instead of going wide every single time

aaaaaaaaand go.

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Will this team break the curse? Or another silver incoming? I honestly dont know how the team in 09' couldnt win: Erik Karlsson, MPS, Tedenby, Mojo, Rundblad, Erixon, Hedman, Josefsson, Backlund, Markström..etc

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Will this team break the curse? Or another silver incoming? I honestly dont know how the team in 09' couldnt win: Erik Karlsson, MPS, Tedenby, Mojo, Rundblad, Erixon, Hedman, Josefsson, Backlund, Markström..etc

This WJC seems to be a really bad year for juniors. Canada & Sweden had their worst teams in a long time and USA stunk up the place too.

That Swedish team would've easily beaten this years.

WayneBruce

Jun 16, 2011
This WJC seems to be a really bad year for juniors. Canada & Sweden had their worst teams in a long time and USA stunk up the place too.

That Swedish team would've easily beaten this years.

Remember that MPS, Hedman, Josefsson, Erixon, Mojo and Rundblad all were undrafted underagers that year. Still a pretty good team though but I would not call this team much worse than the previous ones.

Last edited:

4thliner*

Other than Erik Karlsson who was named top Dman of that tournament I don't see the quality as in big proven current NHL all-stars on that team. Promising prospects then yes.

On that Canadian team there were over half a dozen current NHL stars i.e. John Tavares, Jordan Eberle, Evander Kane, Jamie Benn
Alex Pietrangelo, Tyler Myers, PK Subban....

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
Other than Erik Karlsson who was named top Dman of that tournament I don't see the quality as in big proven current NHL all-stars on that team. Promising prospects then yes.

On that Canadian team there were over half a dozen current NHL stars i.e. John Tavares, Jordan Eberle, Evander Kane, Jamie Benn
Alex Pietrangelo, Tyler Myers, PK Subban....

That Canadian team was incredible no doubt.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm

Both the 1990's and the 1991's had a tradition of choking.

The 1990-team eded up 4th in the u-18 wjc with players like Karlsson, Hedman, Markström, Rundblad, Johansson, Josefson, Pääjärvi, Silfverberg, Tedenby

The 1991-team ended up 5th in u-18 wjc with players like Lehner, Erixon, Larsson, Josefson, Pääjärvi, Järnkrok, Oel, Lander and Landeskog.

The 1992-team at least got a silver despite the team being much weaker on paper.

The 2009-team was made up of a lot of underagers (to young to be at their peak in the WJC-stage) and the 1989's wasn't our best agegroup, the best team we had was 2010, where we looked fantastic in the groupstage but managed to screw up against USA.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
imo 2008 (1988's) had the best chance to win it all, but lost in OT even though they dominated..but canada was much more talanted than this year...stamkos, giroux etc

SChan*

Forsberg a 13th forward instead of Boyce/Rask? This has to be a joke.

WayneBruce

Jun 16, 2011
No way Boyce has played better than Forsberg...wth. Forsberg has been one of our better guys imo. Hopefully he gets thrown in early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad