Sweden vs Finland - What a final it will be

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinnoHab

Dec 21, 2003
Thailand
It will be an absolutely epic battle. I am having trouble getting my head around it. All I know is that tomorrow I will be sitting in a cozy Swedish restaurant that has SVT on satellite, cheering on Team Suomi with our little Finnish contingent against a horde of Swedes.

I have rarely, if ever, looked forward to a sporting event as much as this one. I hope it will be worth the wait.

Suomi! Suomi! Suomi!

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
Chimp said:
Hehehe.

Seriously, this game is the worst thing that could happen to the health of the Swedish and Finnish people. I expect 3% of the Swedish population to die from heart attacks, high blood pressure, stress and flying objects.

Sales of antidepressants will skyrocket in whichever of the two nations that lose.

I see it like this, if Sweden had faced for example Russia in the final and lost, a few months later one could have looked back and say that we "won" a silver medal. Losing to the finns is an entirely different thing, it will always be remembered and probably hurt more then the loss to Belarus in 2002. You will never be able to feel that the silvermedal from 2006 was actually quite decent since you at the same time will remember that the finns won the gold.

This is probably the most important hockey game for both Sweden and Finland ever.

Brunberg

Oct 19, 2005
Finland
Yureeka47 said:
Why are any of you expecting a good game? The finns will play the pathetic trap, and win. I dont understand why everyone is giving finland so much credit. ANY country can play the trap, but they choose not to, because its basically cheating.

Well in the past ten years, how many stanley cups have been won with offensive play? Are stanley cup games boring?

BellBoy77

Nov 11, 2003
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Why can't that final be played today. I don't wanna wait. It's driving me crazy here. :cry:

Looking forward to see Kronwall playing, what a great d-man he is!!! Detroit will have such a good time with him. Maybe tomorrow we'll see some huge hits by Nik. Maybe he'll take out Jakke Ruutu.

Anyway FINLAND WINS!!! This is greatest team of them all. They're playing like never before. The game is going to bee great. Good luck for Sweden, they will need it. ;)

Go Finland, Go for the gold!!! :yo:

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
417 TO MTL said:
How has each country fared against each other internationally?
For Team Sweden:

Official games (Olympics & World Championships)

1949-2005 vs FIN: 69 games, 39 wins, 15 ties, 15 losses (268-168)

Finland's last win over Sweden came at the World Championships in Germany 2001 (4-5), they have met five times since then with Sweden winning the latest game in the 2005 World Championships.

Unofficial games (Euro Hockey Tour, World Cup etc.)

1928-2005 vs FIN: 259 games, 148 wins, 33 ties, 78 losses (955-653)

It doesn´t mean anything now of course as this is going to be a nailbiter.

doom2

Feb 12, 2005
Kuopio
Tomorrow, before the game, I will stare at that picture for 2 hours while listening to "Den glider in". That ought to get things rolling. 8-0 for Finland.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
Kronblom said:
For Team Sweden:

Official games (Olympics & World Championships)

1949-2005 vs FIN: 69 games, 39 wins, 15 ties, 15 losses (268-168)

Finland's last win over Sweden came at the World Championships in Germany 2001 (4-5), they have met five times since then with Sweden winning the latest game in the 2005 World Championships.

Unofficial games (Euro Hockey Tour, World Cup etc.)

1928-2005 vs FIN: 259 games, 148 wins, 33 ties, 78 losses (955-653)

It doesn´t mean anything now of course as this is going to be a nailbiter.

Hey, I'll be the first to admit that Finland used to suck big time in hockey. The past 10 or so years to now are a different story though.

I bet most of the Finland wins came in the past 10 years.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Russia was the one I was afraid about. Sweden CAN win, but I think Finland is the favourite in this game. They played absolutely perfect against russia, giving the best offense in the world NO CHANCE. Sweden is a different kind of beast, but still....we should be able to take this.

:eek: :eek:

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
Im not sure if i can watch this game, if i would i'd prolly get some apoplexy or something like that.

If we wont win it's the worst day of my life, if i'll survive the game.

ShaneDoan

May 5, 2005
I think Finland deserve win...maybe i think so cos if Finn ;)

But have to say, we have too many losses in finals from history...only one won world championship-gold in 1995 and i dont respect that so much...i mean olympic gold in this tournament would be much,much bigger achievement!

sleb

Dec 26, 2005
with polarbears
Epic!

That's what it will be tomorrow. There is so much on the stakes tomorrow, I wouldn't wan't to be in either team. Or even near participating to their duty. Think of it, both countries best on ice. Sweden has their "golden generation", only Näslund missing... Finland has done the same as they could in World Cup...

And the history. Them bitter and heartaching losses to Sweden, the last minute ties. All of that! Finns have their share, Nagano and 1995 Stockholm World Championship final.

There is nothing, what could come even close to them Finland vs Sweden hockeygames. None. There simply isn't any sport or way of competition excisting, what would get even near this.

Sadly, this is absolute drama. Neither nation, would remember the silver medal, simply because it had to be the other who got the gold. And, the players... It's just brutal, you can not hang that gold on some of these players: Lidström, Numminen, Sundin, Koivu, Alfredsson (has he won it?), Selänne... the list could just go on and on. All of those names, are the prime from both countries, and they've done excellent job for so many years. All them little kids playing on the outbacks, on the all-natural ice... they're all little Selännes, little Sundins, and so on. A lot of the players who got their equal share for the last Big Win, will be seen for the last time.

So after this game, it'll be a standing ovation from my part, win or lose. We are both, Finland and Sweden, winning and losing so much in so many ways, no matter the match outcome. So this game, is absolutely (funny to start and end a message to the same phrase):

Epic! :bow: :clap:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Oh yeah, now I remember that game where Sweden was 2 goals behind and still got it tied, 2 goals behind with 20 seconds left of the game. It was something like:

3-4 in 19:41 and 4-4 in 19:52.

Sweden - Finland: 6-5 was so much sweeter though. ;)

It will not be over until it's over. This game will be remembered in Sweden and Finland for a very, very, very long time.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
ShaneDoan said:
I think Sundin-Forsberg-Modin line is quite scary...hopefully Finland can handle that..
It IS scary, that's the whole point. They were awesome against the Czechs. :D

Tomorrow, it wil be known as "Hjältekedjan som bräckte den finska försvarsmuren."
"The hero line that broke the Finnish defensewall."

Then the monster line with PÃ¥hlsson - Axelsson - Alfredsson will finish off the Finnish. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad