Sweden vs Finland - What a final it will be

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandels

Aug 2, 2005
Lake Bodom
Alright kids, let's cool it a bit alright?

No need to throw insults around.

There are two excellent teams in the final game and no-one should have anything to say about it. We have seen what the results have been on the ice. No excuses, you either deliver or you don't.

Here's to all swedish hockey fans for a great final that will be remembered no matter what the final score will be!! :cheers:

doom2

Feb 12, 2005
Kuopio
FIN-SWE

Dream final...
To me it's more like a nightmare. I can't remember the last time when Finland beat Sweden ( ;) ) in a game that mattered. And this game matters most of them all. And also, if Finland loses, that means Sweden wins! That's twice the heartbreak :cry:

I hope Team Finland has more confidence in themselves and their playing than I do. Finland has been playing an outstanding tournament, and if they keep performing the way the have until now, they're sure to win... but again, it's Sweden they have to play against, that has trouble spelled all over it.

And for the record, yes I still remember the infamous 5-1 *oops* 5-6 game against Sweden very clearly.

EDIT: Almost forgot, if Finland wins, guess what song is bound to hit the charts again in Finland, after 11 years... you guessed it, Den glider in! Den glider in! Den glider in in mål igen! Vi ska kämpa vi ska ge allt det vi har, vi ska ta guld igen! WOO-O!

I really hope Finland wins, for 2 reasons:
1. Finland rules
2. Den glider in is the ultimate soundtrack for Finland's victory over Sweden. We don't get to use that one too often, maybe this sunday?

Last edited:

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
Slime said:
Many posters here just seem to assume Finland playes the trap because it's the easiest way to explain why such underdogs have had such huge success. It's obvious that these "trap-accusers" haven't watched the games very close, and seem totally unaware of other styles of defensive play internationally, like the traditional two defensive strats Czechs and Swedes have used for years. Finlands style is a mix of many elements, but one of their trademarks is fast speed and high intensity (instead of slowing down the game) which most "trapteams" totally lack.

I agree completely.

We have mixed elements from CAN/SWE/CZE
style of hockey and added FIN stubborness,
determination and fighting spirit to it. :madfire:

The final steps were taken in World Cup 2004,
where the players noticed that they can beat
anyone, no matter who plays against them.

World Cup finalist 2004, Olympic finalist 2006.
Whatever happens on Sunday, in best-of-the-best
tournaments we've been the most solid team in
recent years. :hockey:

SENSational

Mar 26, 2004
Ottawa
I want Sweden to win because I hate the trap but how the hell is it cheating????? I hope someone finally finds out how to break the trap so it will never be used again. But you still gotta give it to Finland. I thought they wouldnt even medal.

Kingz4ever

Feb 8, 2006
LA
This is going to be the most boring and least watched gold medal game in olympic hockey history. Talk about two teams that play boring and unwatchable hockey. This game is the perfect cure for insomniacs. I'd rather watch golf or bowling instead of this game.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Kingz4ever said:
This is going to be the most boring and least watched gold medal game in olympic hockey history. Talk about two teams that play boring and unwatchable hockey. This game is the perfect cure for insomniacs. I'd rather watch golf or bowling instead of this game.

Need I remind you of the last 2 times these two met in international comp? A thrilling TIE at the World Cup and a 6-5 come from behind win for the swedes in Finland at the World Championship. Go and watch Golf or Nascar if you prefer. :biglaugh:

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Kingz4ever said:

It's gonna be great :handclap:

Paatos

Jan 5, 2006
Oulu
sandels said:
There are two excellent teams in the final game and no-one should have anything to say about it. We have seen what the results have been on the ice. No excuses, you either deliver or you don't.

Here's to all swedish hockey fans for a great final that will be remembered no matter what the final score will be!! :cheers:

Hear hear :cheers:

On Sunday it's the Detroit Red Wings vs. the Dallas Stars ;)

...And as it was said before, this probably will be the last hurrah for lots of household names in fennoscandian hockey. So let's enjoy it and keep it civil. We have both earned it, and I have to say that the Finnish team has achieved something that I had never thought possible before the olympics. Whatever the result on Sunday I'll still feel proud about the teamwork that team Finland has been able to show all the way. And hats off to the Swedes for playing a tactically sound tournament that has placed them in the final as well.

It'll be known as the klubbekriget of Torino :yo:

shrudy

Apr 27, 2004
can someone tell me what the 6-5 game is all about? i hear it bandied about here a lot, what exactly happened? why is it such a big deal?

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
As I see it, Sweden and Finland used separate tactics reaching the finals.

Finland used the games to get together as a team, working their a$$es off each shift, really hardworking each and every game.

Sweden did a copy of Canada in 2002, gliding around on the ice, testing stuff in round robin and did not really care. Then when the Quarter Final started: Boom! Max power. Each line that looked weak and uninterested suddenly clicked and worked hard and skillful. We saw it against Switzerland and it was even more obvious against Czech Republic.

I guarantee each and every player on both teams would absolutely hate losing to their rival. You will see both teams giving 150% on sunday with a very uncertain outcome, you never know the end when Sweden - Finland play. I say it's 50/50.

It will be a great/ horrible game. The winners will cheer for months, the losers have to commit national suicide. Oh how horrible it would be to lose against Suomi in an Olympics final. I couldn't think of any worse. :eek:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
shrudy said:
can someone tell me what the 6-5 game is all about? i hear it bandied about here a lot, what exactly happened? why is it such a big deal?
The big deal is Finland owned Sweden for half of the game in Helsinki, in Finland, 2003, World Championship(?), quarter final. Finland got a 5-1 lead, being sure of an easy victory. Even the Swedish fans thought Sweden was doomed, alot of viewers back in Sweden turned off the game. What a mistake.

Sweden pulled Salo and put in Tellqvist between the pipes and then the chase started. 5-2... 5-3.. 5-4... 5-5... and then 5-6 against horrified Finnish players that looked like corpses. The Finnish team panicked, sort of. An interesting thing was that the Swedish coach, Hardy Nilsson, was absolutely passive. The guy who turned the game as I see it was captain Mats Sundin, who refused to lose (which he told his teammates). The look in Sundin's eyes when Sweden scored 6-5 is absolutely unforgivable. If you have seen it, you know what I mean. "A beast flying on the clouds" is the closest description I can think of.

It's a true classic. For Swedes a great classic, for Finns a horrifying classic. :D

This game is an example of the battles between Sweden and Finland. It ain't over until it is over.

Last edited:

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
shrudy said:
In the World Championchips 2003, Finland was leading the QF game against Sweden 5-1 after 30 minutes of play, but eventually Sweden won the game 6-5. :cry:

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
The clock is 4.15 a.m. Saturday 25th Feb. And I'm drunk as ****!
It's nice that Finland got to the final but I still think this will be Sweden's year. Sundin, Foppa, Modin, Alfredsson and so on... they got all the tools to make it. But hey so do we!!!!. though always history and future seems to kick us in the head! :cry:

God give us this one! We need it more than Sweden! :yo:

Sverige jag inte gillar dig! :D

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Jokeri said:
The clock is 4.15 a.m. Saturday 25th Feb. And I'm drunk as ****!
It's nice that Finland got to the final but I still think this will be Sweden's year. Sundin, Foppa, Modin, Alfredsson and so on... they got all the tools to make it. But hey so do we!!!!. though always history and future seems to kick us in the head! :cry:

God give us this one! We need it more than Sweden! :yo:

Sverige jag inte gillar dig! :D
We have the core players left from the 6-5 game, so I expect a replay on sunday. :D

HYVÄÄ RUOTSI! :jump:

The Finn killers Axelsson, Forsberg, Sundin and Alfredsson will show the way! Also, I expect Lundqvist, Lidström, Kronwall, Holmström and Påhlsson to fall in line.

Last edited:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Jussi said:
NO SUCH GAME EVER TOOK PLACE! IT'S A MYTH!
Hehehe.

Seriously, this game is the worst thing that could happen to the health of the Swedish and Finnish people. I expect 3% of the Swedish population to die from heart attacks, high blood pressure, stress and flying objects.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Chimp said:
We have the core players left from the 6-5 game, so I expect a replay on sunday. :D

HYVÄÄ RUOTSI! :jump:

The Finn killers Axelsson, Forsberg, Sundin and Alfredsson will show the way! Also, I expect Lundqvist, Lidström, Kronwall, Holmström and Påhlsson to fall in line.

That's Hyvä Ruotsi! You got a helluva team! :clap: producing the best when you need it! I fear you will win it but I just hope you will have a bad day on sunday! ;) If we'll do it...This country will go crazy! I mean ******* crazy!

If I'm not writing here monday...I'm dead from a heart attack...It's gonna be a thriller! ;)

shrudy

Apr 27, 2004
so is hockey the most intense embodiment of the sweden-finland rivalry? i know sweden has a decent football team but i'm not so sure about finland. since there seems to be so much clamour about this game i was just wondering if this was the pinnacle of the rivalry or if there are other intense forms it takes (both in and out of sports)

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
So...

I take it this game may have a *wee* bit more intensity than Calgary/Edmonton on CBC? ;)

I'm Canadian, and I can't wait to see these two countries throw down in the bloody GOLD MEDAL GAME.

I hate it that my team didn't make it, but I love it that these two teams did. This will be epic, and I envy you all.

sandels

Aug 2, 2005
Lake Bodom
Oh man, this is going to be a classic!

I'm confident in our team, but I have this haunting image of Mats Sundin rushing towards the net. :cry:

It will be GREAT to be watching an Olympic final against our most bitter rival in international hockey!! :cheers:

Waseda

Feb 22, 2006
Sweden
shrudy said:
so is hockey the most intense embodiment of the sweden-finland rivalry? i know sweden has a decent football team but i'm not so sure about finland. since there seems to be so much clamour about this game i was just wondering if this was the pinnacle of the rivalry or if there are other intense forms it takes (both in and out of sports)

Well it's always a bit of a rivalry in a major sport but hockey is what t's all about. It comes 1st, 2nd, 3rd 4th etc, etc.

Personally speaking, I don't care very much about other events concerning Sweden vs. Finland but hockey is dead serious.

yah, the Finns don't have much of a football team but that's alright, the rivalry has always been about hockey and that's where the real tradition stays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad