WJC: Sweden 2019 Roster Talk

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
I already stated that I misspoke on the ELC but also clearly stated he would not have lasted a whole season in the AHL as he was the last player D cut in the preseason. He would have been called up.

It is pretty clear you are just stat watching. Look at the players you mention and then you will notice a large portion come from the PP which with is highly impacted by other players. You mention all players that have played on NA ice for a long period of time yet Boqvist is keeping up with all of them. Boqvist has been a ppg player all season and now we are seeing a up tick in numbers as he has gotten more comfortable on NA ice. Might want to check PPG numbers instead of raw numbers as well as Boqvist is a top 5-6 D. He is also a shot generator. All of this plus the fact that he has not struggled defensively at all. You need to start actually watching these player play instread of just looking at stats. Boqvist is not close to a disappointment.

Timmins? He has not been close to better. Come on.

What would you consider not a disappointment?

You really need to quit digging yourself into a deeper hole. Several second rounders last year had better draft+1 seasons than Boqvist's draft+1 season so far this year.

Anyone who saw the Greyhounds last year can tell you that Timmins in his draft+1 season was better defensively than Boqvist is this year.

And offensively, Timmins was better as well. Points per game:

Timmins 1.13
Boqvist 1.08

Yet Timmins was "not close to better"? Give your head a shake.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
You really need to quit digging yourself into a deeper hole. Several second rounders last year had better draft+1 seasons than Boqvist's draft+1 season so far this year.

Anyone who saw the Greyhounds last year can tell you that Timmins in his draft+1 season was better defensively than Boqvist is this year.

Timmins 1.13
Boqvist 1.08

Again you are just stat sheet watching.

Timmins is not better that Boqvist. Timmins has played on NA ice his whole life and had already played with the Soo for 2 seasons prior yet Boqvist producing at the same rate which has been increasing of late. Timmins was also a year older (9/18/98).

Boqvist has not struggled defensively like you seem to think he has. Hell he showcased his ability to play solid D in the NHL preseason.

It is like you haven't watched a single game and just look at stat sheets...oh wait that is clearly what you are doing.

Reactions: Smart Alek

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Wrong again. I live in Canada and go to the games at least twice a month. Doubt you've ever been to an OHL game though.

Do you deny Timmins in his draft+1 season was better defensively than Boqvist is this year?

Considering I grew up in Detroit area and playing hockey throughout Ontario, I have actually seen a lot of OHL game live in person. I also have the OHL live package so I will see 40+ plus games this year minimum.

I don't think there is a huge gap between Boqvist and Timmins. Is Timmins better? Sure by a little (and it is getting closer each game) but Boqvist is not bad defensively like you are implying. Boqvist is much more dynamic offensively. The gap between Boqvist and Timmins offensively is much larger than Timmins and Boqvist defensively.

None of this is to say Timmins is bad or anything close to that.

What numbers should Boqvist being putting up to not be a disappointment in your eyes?

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Considering I grew up in Detroit area and playing hockey throughout Ontario, I have actually seen a lot of OHL game live in person. I also have the OHL live package so I will see 40+ plus games this year minimum.

I don't think there is a huge gap between Boqvist and Timmins. Is Timmins better? Sure by a little (and it is getting closer each game) but Boqvist is not bad defensively like you are implying. Boqvist is much more dynamic offensively. The gap between Boqvist and Timmins offensively is much larger than Timmins and Boqvist defensively.

None of this is to say Timmins is bad or anything close to that.

What numbers should Boqvist being putting up to not be a disappointment in your eyes?

I never said Boqvist was "bad" defensively. He's an offensive defenceman and that is his role. It would be nice if he could match and succeed what 2nd round picks like Hague/Timmins put up in their draft + 1 seasons in the OHL. Still has time, and a good team to do it on.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Seems like Eriksson Ek will be in in the net tonight.
"Fotnot: I en tidigare version av texten hänvisade SportExpressen till uppgifter från Hockeynews.se gällande att Olle Eriksson Ek skulle vakta målet i stället för Samuel Ersson. Uppgifterna visade sig felaktiga och har därför plockats bort."
Storstjärnan missar – och han får stå i mål

Looks like that's incorrect info.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
That was the best performance by a Swedish team against the USA i've seen in this tournament (aside from the late meltdown).

Wasn't a big Sandin fan in his draft year but I'm impressed now, he'd be an upgrade to our lousy PK. Boqvist, Brännström, Bemström and Gustafsson are also looking good.

On the negative side, the Lundeström line has to start producing with the icetime they are getting. Ginning is also not someone I want to see on the ice when defending a lead late in a game.

Reactions: Pyromaniac

Jaguaren

Oct 23, 2018
"Fotnot: I en tidigare version av texten hänvisade SportExpressen till uppgifter från Hockeynews.se gällande att Olle Eriksson Ek skulle vakta målet i stället för Samuel Ersson. Uppgifterna visade sig felaktiga och har därför plockats bort."
Storstjärnan missar – och han får stå i mål

Looks like that's incorrect info.
Yep, read it on hockeynews before the game. Strange that they are wrong when they’re watches the team so close.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Goddamn I fell asleep after the 1st period, I hate that games start this late. It started 4.30 AM over here in Sweden. Seems like I missed an amazing game.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I never said Boqvist was "bad" defensively. He's an offensive defenceman and that is his role. It would be nice if he could match and succeed what 2nd round picks like Hague/Timmins put up in their draft + 1 seasons in the OHL. Still has time, and a good team to do it on.
Wasn’t Timmins also one of the oldest guys in his draft class? Boqvist was a few weeks away from being draft elligable this year. Timmins was 11 months older than Boqvist was when he was drafted. Doesn’t it make more sense to compare Timmins draft season to Boqvists d+1?

Reactions: BK and Dodospice

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
playing in na have really had big impact on boqvist and sandin, they are both physical in their own end, especially sandin. they did not have this gritty side when they played in sweden.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
playing in na have really had big impact on boqvist and sandin, they are both physical in their own end, especially sandin. they did not have this gritty side when they played in sweden.

To be fair, lots of players have changed their games for the better since the introduction of Gritty.

Jaguaren

Oct 23, 2018
Hows Lundestrom looking?
He’s done ok. I think they should be able to get out more from him though. Still don’t know what Zetterlund are doing with him in the first line, he’s been really really bad imo.

Reactions: Drift

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012

Timmins 1.13
Boqvist 1.08

Yeah but Timmins was also 19 in his draft+1 season, he missed the cutoff for his year by 3 days. So if you really want a comparison, use Timmins draft season and not his D+1 season because he’s basically a full year older than Boqvist.

Reactions: BK

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
boqvist will probably make hawks next season. Soderstrom will anchor the blueline, he is amazing for Brynas right now.

Do they have room for him?

Keith-Jokiharju
Forsling-Seabrook
Dahlstrom-Murphy

Whose spot is he taking? Seabrook and Murphy have big contracts and Jokiharju has already played well in the NHL. I think he'll start next season in the AHL.

Reactions: VictorLustig

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Do they have room for him?

Keith-Jokiharju
Forsling-Seabrook
Dahlstrom-Murphy

Whose spot is he taking? Seabrook and Murphy have big contracts and Jokiharju has already played well in the NHL. I think he'll start next season in the AHL.
You’re forgetting about Gustafsson, unless he’s traded. He’s improving defensively, and is excellent offensively. Also, Mitchell will by all accounts be given a chance to make the Hawks next year. Forsling could be the odd man out. Perhaps traded, particularly given the upcoming Seattle expansion draft and the risk of losing him. The Hawks will be looking to stagger the incoming rookie defenseman coming in over the next few years...Jokiharju and Dahlstrom this year, Mitchell +/- Boqvist next year, Beaudin following year.

Unless Boqvist dominates in camp, he likely starts in the AHL, and is first call up. I can see Dahlstrom, Seabrook and Mitchell rotating in, with Jokiharju, Keith, Gustafsson, and Murphy the main four.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad