WJC: Sweden 2019 Roster Talk

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
London has a great track record for developing talent and the Hawks are not burning an elc year. It made a lot of sense to send him where they did. Also remember that he is really young for his draft class.

Since he’s playing in North America, it would make more sense for him to play pro hockey against men in the AHL in his draft+1 year, like what Sandin is doing. The only reason he’s in juniors now is because his defensive game is not good enough and/or he is not physical enough for the AHL. His concussion history could be a factor as well.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
None of that changes that Boqvist's season in a junior league has been unimpressive to date.

Before Bouchard showed up, Boqvist was scoring at an even lower rate (13 points in 13 games).

You didn’t adddress anything I said. You can feel free to disagree, but I don’t understand what about his season has been bad.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Since he’s playing in North America, it would make more sense for him to play pro hockey against men in the AHL in his draft+1 year, like what Sandin is doing. The only reason he’s in juniors now is because his defensive game is not good enough and/or he is not physical enough for the AHL. His concussion history could be a factor as well.

Were you part of the decision making process?

Reactions: Weiss1604

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
You didn’t adddress anything I said. You can feel free to disagree, but I don’t understand what about his season has been bad.
I think you could argue he's been performing under expectations, but you'd have to remember this is first year on NA ice as an 18yo, and not many teams put their 18yo dmen into the AHL. Only 114 have ever played their U19 season in the A.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Explain how the truth is opposite to what I posted. I'll be waiting.

Lol, what? They wouldn't have burned an ELC year by sending him to the AHL either. Maybe read up on the topic before flinging crap at the wall and hoping it sticks?

From the start Boqvist has generated a lot of shots from the back end and has been better than advertised defensively. He was a PPG player prior to Bouchard getting there and now has improved on this number. He has start to take over parts of the game and drive play. He has been the furthest thing from disappointing. It is almost like you don’t know what you are talking about oh wait you don’t. A PPG defenseman in the OHL while never playing on NA ice... Literally nothing has been disappointing about his season.

I was wrong about his ELC deal being burned due to his age (and if you make the assumption he would have been down all season) but there is is no way he would have stayed down as he almost made the team out of camp (he would have if Rutta and Manning were not signed). Boqvist would already be our PP1 QB. He was the last player cut and played well enough in the preseason to make the team. Why would they waste a year this year on his ELC deal when they don’t have to? The Hawks were always going to be bad this season so it makes a lot more sense maximize his ELC deal now. Do you think Zardana stays down all season? I don’t and there is no point in creating a situation where the player and everyone knows they should be in the NHL but aren’t being called up due to slide rules.

He is really young for his draft class so that played into it as well. He was fine defensively in the preseason as he he was not taking a lot of chances so I think the defensive issue were over blown (his play in London is proving this as well). He is never going to be physical but he has not been timid so far in London. Concussions may have played a part of it. Sandin played a year in the OHL before the draft right? I think if Boqvist had done that the year prior he would possible be in the AHL or NHL. The Hawks seems to have a really good working relationship with London which also could have impacted this. Hawks are sending Brian Campbell to London to work with Boqvist as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weiss1604

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I think you could argue he's been performing under expectations, but you'd have to remember this is first year on NA ice as an 18yo, and not many teams put their 18yo dmen into the AHL. Only 114 have ever played their U19 season in the A.

How? He is over a PPG player who just turned 18 learning NA ice and has played fine defensively. Remember is really young.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Boqvist being bad defensively is a terrible narrative. He's not a defensive star, but he's not bad defensively.

Go make a poll of Sandin vs. Boqvist. I'd be shocked if Sandin gets even 20% of non-Leaf fan votes. Leafs decided to put Sandin in the AHL, Hawks decided to put Boqvist in the OHL. So what?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Boqvist being bad defensively is a terrible narrative. He's not a defensive star, but he's not bad defensively.

Go make a poll of Sandin vs. Boqvist. I'd be shocked if Sandin gets even 20% of non-Leaf fan votes. Leafs decided to put Sandin in the AHL, Hawks decided to put Boqvist in the OHL. So what?

Sandin had already played a season in NA before this one right?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Sandin is also having an amazing post draft season....It is kind of a stupid comparison right now anyways.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Why is it a stupid comparison?
Comparing a player playing his D+1 in the AHL verse someone playing in the CHL? It isn't a good comparison. I don't know if Sandin is better or not then Boqvist....Haven't watched Boqvist that much. But Sandin has basically blown by any and all expectations that anyone reasonably had of him this year.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

TheDoorDoctor

Mar 6, 2013
ONT
Organization preference plays a big role as well.

It is clear the leafs like using their AHL as a great place for development. We've seen their prspects spend a lot of time there.

Sandin,liligren, nylander

The hawks have never had their big prospects spend a prolonged time in the AHL.

D-Cat, joki, hartman,teuvo, schmaltz all went straight to the nhl from their respective minor leagues.

Edit: I see hartman did play two seasons in the A...

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Not only is this Boqvists first year on NA ice... He got dropped into his first Knights game less than 24 hours after being sent to London from the Blackhawks. Diddnt know the system or even most of his teammates names while living in a foreign country playing on different dimension ice surface than he’s used to playing.

I don’t think there’s a hockey player out there that wouldn’t have an adjustment period under those circumstances. He’s had something like 7 goals in his last 8 games so he’s really been turning it on lately. Calling this season a disappointment so far is just silly and that poster has obviously not watched him play.

Reactions: clydesdale line

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
What’s lundkvists role on this team. Is he expected to get a share of the minutes, play special teams, or is he more of a depth player?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
London has a great track record for developing talent and the Hawks are not burning an elc year. It made a lot of sense to send him where they did. Also remember that he is really young for his draft class.
I'm not going to get into which is the better development path or who is having a better year. But, 18-year-old's in the AHL don't burn their ELC's. Players signed in their draft year (so between the draft and December 31st) and they are in their first season of draft eligibility get two slide years. For example, Alex Nylander still has 2 full seasons left on his ELC after this year, despite this being his 3rd year in the AHL. Like junior players, they only burn a year if they play 10 games in the NHL, at which point the ELC activates and years burn off regardless of where you are playing.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm not going to get into which is the better development path or who is having a better year. But, 18-year-old's in the AHL don't burn their ELC's. Players signed in their draft year (so between the draft and December 31st) and they are in their first season of draft eligibility get two slide years. For example, Alex Nylander still has 2 full seasons left on his ELC after this year, despite this being his 3rd year in the AHL. Like junior players, they only burn a year if they play 10 games in the NHL, at which point the ELC activates and years burn off regardless of where you are playing.

Yeah I posted I was wrong about that in a later post.

There is little to no chance he would have stayed in the AHL as he almost made the Hawks out of camp.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah I posted I was wrong about that in a later post.

There is little to no chance he would have stayed in the AHL as he almost made the Hawks out of camp.
Who knows. William almost made the Leafs out of camp in 2015 and dominated the AHL and we kept him down regardless due to the long-term incentive. Also, sometimes young guys are kept around longer due to the fact they know they are sending them back down to junior regardless, so they want them to get extra time with their developmental staff before sending them back for the year.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Montén ändrar om – nya kedjor och powerplay

Current lineup:

Zetterlund - Lundeström - Olofsson
Bemström - Holmberg - Hugg
Elvenes - Gustafsson - Fagemo
Sveningsson - Bäck - Hållander

Brännström - Westerlund
Sandin - Boqvist
Lundkvist - Ginning