Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
My team as of today:

(Left Wing - Center - Right Wing)

Holmberg - Lundeström - Elvenes
Sveningsson - Olofsson - Bemström
Berggren - Gustafsson - Zetterlund
Hållander - Hugg - Sylvegård

Extras: Sodergran, Leufvenius​

That top line would be very hard to stop. Holmberg is a good candidate for the first line Left Wing spot. Not only do Centers easily slide to the wing, but Holmberg is a natural Left Wing, and played at Left Wing in recent seasons (eliteprospects still lists his position as "LW/C").

Holmberg also played one game as Left Wing this season in the NT for Monten: August 25 against Finland, where he scored the game winning goal at even strength while playing as Left Wing on a line with Sodergran and Hugg (who was the Center). Holmberg has earned a shot at a top 6 position, but with Lundeström and Olofsson at C, it makes more sense for him to fill a position of need at Left Wing.

These lines also give Sveningsson a chance to show what he can do on his natural side as a Left Wing. If he starts out slowly, Hållander or Leufvenius can move up the lineup.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Sveningsson with another even strength goal in Allsvenskan today, now has 16 points in 16 games played. Crazy how much better he plays on the left wing.

Rickard Hugg’s been playing well of late, he had a 3 point night in the OHL today. Anyone think Hugg has passed Gustafsson on the Center depth chart?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Albin Eriksson has 6 points in 12 shl games. he is flying under the radar.

Sveningsson - Lundeström - Elvenes
Fagemo - Olofsson - Hållander
Sylvegård - Holmberg - Bemström
Södergran - Hugg - Eriksson
Berggren

(assuming Zetterlund is still injured)

Brännström - Liljegren
Sandin - Westerlund
Lundqvist - Boqvist
Ginning

Ersson
Åhman
Eriksson Ek

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

Berggren

(assuming Zetterlund is still injured)

Brännström - Liljegren
Sandin - Westerlund
Lundqvist - Boqvist
Ginning

Ersson
Åhman
Eriksson Ek

I like your lineup but small correction, Eriksson has 6 points in 16 SHL games.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
My team as of today:

Sveningsson - Olofsson - Bemström
Berggren - Gustafsson - Zetterlund
Hållander - Hugg - Sylvegård
These lines also give Sveningsson a chance to show what he can do on his natural side as a Left Wing. If he starts out slowly, Hållander or Leufvenius can move up the lineup.

Berggren

I highly doubt Sveningsson is on one of the top lines. I hold SHL performances way higher than Allsvenskan. Svenningsson also hasn't produced anything for Sweden U-18 to U-20.
I feel these are the best top 3 lines available:

Bemström - Lundeström - Sylvegård
Holmberg - Elvenes - Fagemo
Hållander - Olofsson - Zetterlund

With this combination you have one really gritty hard working player in Sylvegård, Fagemo and Zetterlund on each line, players I really think this team needs.

Fourth line I would probably like to see Gustafsson(C) with either Södergran, Eriksson, Svenningsson, Hugg, or Lyksell. I also think Nils Höglander is very close to making the team.

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik
Albin Eriksson #1 U19 player in scoring in SHL. #2 U20 player in scoring.
4 goals and 2 assists in last three games and playing with quite some poise.
He is making a pretty strong case to make it the World Juniors.

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
i want to see albin and södergran on the same line, both of them is over 190 cm and 90 kg, they would be impossible to stop.

Last edited:

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
I feel these are the best top 3 lines available:

Bemström - Lundeström - Sylvegård
Holmberg - Elvenes - Fagemo
Hållander - Olofsson - Zetterlund

With this combination you have one really gritty hard working player in Sylvegård, Fagemo and Zetterlund on each line, players I really think this team needs.

I like the concept of including one gritty player on each line. You put forward some interesting combos, that said Elvenes cannot center a line, and Fagemo is not exactly gritty nor fast enough to be a good puck retriever.

Also, you mention those as the top 3 possible lines, yet none of those lines stacks up to Holmberg - Lundeström - Elvenes which would be a truly elite top line.

I highly doubt Sveningsson is on one of the top lines. I hold SHL performances way higher than Allsvenskan. Svenningsson also hasn't produced anything for Sweden U-18 to U-20.

That is (my version of) the best possible Swedish lineup, not what I think Monten will do. Chances are, Monten will continue with his folly of playing Elvenes on the left wing and not giving Sveningsson a real chance. Therefore the best lineup we can hope for from Monten will be something like:

Elvenes - Lundeström - Zetterlund
Holmberg - Olofsson - Bemström
Berggren - Gustafsson - Sylvegård
Hållander - Hugg - Södergran
Leufvenius

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Lucas Elvenes has 6 points in his last 7 SHL games since being moved back to right wing, where he dominated last year.

I hope your coach is paying attention.
I guarantee you he’s not. He never does, a random line generator would make more logical choices than him.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Lucas Elvenes has 6 points in his last 7 SHL games since being moved back to right wing, where he dominated last year.

I hope your coach is paying attention.
It wasn't a matter of where he played(he has played RW all season IIRC), here's how I view it; Rögle sucks ass & Elvenes can't get going, Elvenes stands up against the team captain on behalf of his teammates, gets scratched, has a meeting with the coach, gets back into the line-up, and that's the exact moment he started producing(along with Rögle getting good.)

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
I like the concept of including one gritty player on each line. You put forward some interesting combos, that said Elvenes cannot center a line, and Fagemo is not exactly gritty nor fast enough to be a good puck retriever.

Also, you mention those as the top 3 possible lines, yet none of those lines stacks up to Holmberg - Lundeström - Elvenes which would be a truly elite top line.

That is (my version of) the best possible Swedish lineup, not what I think Monten will do. Chances are, Monten will continue with his folly of playing Elvenes on the left wing and not giving Sveningsson a real chance. Therefore the best lineup we can hope for from Monten will be something like:

Berggren - Gustafsson - Sylvegård
Hållander - Hugg - Södergran
Leufvenius

Both Elvenes and Holmberg can center a line, however the most likely and the better alternatives are the 4 you mention. But that was not my main point, my point was that I believe the 9 forwards I mentioned are the best available based on previous and current performances. Combine them as you like.

I understand you're not a fan of Fagemo, that's fine, but he for sure is a gritty player. He's not an overly physical player, but he battles very hard around the net and along the boards. He's not a speedster, but still above average SHL speed. The reason he's currently playing on the Frölunda top line with Ryan Lasch and Joel Lundqvist is due to his gritty game combined with his ability to put himself in scoring positions, and also how he takes the puck to the net. I was not surprised that Fagemo scored one of only two swedish goals in the 4 nations tournament a couple of weeks ago. He scores even when the team is not playing very well, he is the type of player swedish teams usual has a lack of.

I like Berggren, but I would be very surprised if he makes the team this year. I also think Albin Eriksson is closer than Berggren. I also don't get why you would split Olofsson and Hållander.

Fagemo in - Berggren out and I basically agree with you.

Reactions: Wings4Life

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Both Elvenes and Holmberg can center a line, however the most likely and the better alternatives are the 4 you mention. But that was not my main point, my point was that I believe the 9 forwards I mentioned are the best available based on previous and current performances. Combine them as you like.

I think that's very reasonable, and I'd agree with 8 out of those 9 being Sweden's top players. Fagemo would be the odd man out for me.

Elvenes should be playing right wing, where he is easily Sweden's best winger for this tournament. Monten continues to try and convert him into a left wing. Either way, he will play wing, not C.

Which leaves Holmberg. Do you want him to play C, or left wing? He's equally good at both locations, IMO. Here's the problem if you move him to C, you knock one of Gustafsson or Hugg out of the lineup (or worse, convert them to wingers), and move Olofsson down to 3C. I'm not sure it's worth the upgrade at 2C, but if you're not a fan of Olofsson, it could be. Left wing is a weakness for this team even if Elvenes moves to the left and does well there, so Holmberg could play there.

Holmberg did score the even-strength GWG against Finland in August as a left wing, for what it's worth.

As for Fagemo, you mention past and present performances being important. Fagemo does have a hot streak going for close to 2 months, but what past performances does he have to speak of? He had a poor season in J20 last year, poor audition in the professional ranks and a disappointing U18 championships. It's hard to trust a player like that for the U20 WJC just a few short months later. That said, I hope he continues to prove people wrong. I also hope he didn't forget how to play the left side, because the right side is stacked, especially if Elvenes plays his proper side at RW.

I like Berggren, but I would be very surprised if he makes the team this year. I also think Albin Eriksson is closer than Berggren. I also don't get why you would split Olofsson and Hållander.

Sad as it is for me to admit as a Wings fan, you are probably right. Berggren has not been impressive in the SHL so far, and this seriously hurts his case for the WJC team. He had a dominant year in Superelit last year and a good Summer Showcase this season, which may be enough for Monten, but I am starting to doubt he makes this team. If he can make it to the camp he may have a chance to impress the coaches on the spot, but chances are some minds will already be made up by then.

Reactions: Svanstrom

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Fagemo in - Berggren out and I basically agree with you.

Given these conditions and the likely Sveningsson cut, which option would you prefer? I lean towards A where Elevenes can play his natural right wing position, Monten is more likely to go for B as he enjoys playing Elvenes on his worse side.

Option A:

Hållander - Olofsson - Bemström
Sylvegård - Gustafsson - Zetterlund
Fagemo - Hugg - Södergran
(Leufvenius)

Option B:

Sylvegård - Gustafsson - Södergran
Hållander - Hugg - Fagemo
(Leufvenius)

Of course Monten is equally likely to move Holmberg to C. Hugg brings the fire that Sweden needs, whereas Gustafsson is a skilled big player who it would be a shame to leave behind.

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
Which leaves Holmberg. Do you want him to play C, or left wing? He's equally good at both locations, IMO. Here's the problem if you move him to C, you knock one of Gustafsson or Hugg out of the lineup
Like I said to me those are the 9 best players available and to combine that either Holmberg or Elvenes had to play C. I chose Elvenes mostly because I simply think he's a better player and I wish he played more C (kind of how Pettersson has gone from wing to C).
But I prefer Elvenes RW and Holmberg LW because we have better alternatives for the C position.

As for Fagemo, you mention past and present performances being important. Fagemo does have a hot streak going for close to 2 months, but what past performances does he have to speak of? He had a poor season in J20 last year, poor audition in the professional ranks and a disappointing U18 championships
No doubt he didn't have a great season last year. Listening to interviews he seems very relaxed and comfortable off the ice right now and same goes on the ice. Perhaps it's due to some draft-anxietly that he didn't really performe in the bigger international tournaments (tho he did have 5 goals in 5 games in Hlinka Gretzky Cup).

Sad as it is for me to admit as a Wings fan, you are probably right. Berggren has not been impressive in the SHL so far, and this seriously hurts his case for the WJC team.
He is very skilled with the puck and fun to watch, but I feel he mainly competes with Elvenes and Holmberg for a spot and he just falls short. I would be very surprised if you don't get to see him next year tho.

Reactions: Wings4Life

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
Given these conditions and the likely Sveningsson cut, which option would you prefer? I lean towards A where Elevenes can play his natural right wing position, Monten is more likely to go for B as he enjoys playing Elvenes on his worse side.

Option A:

Hållander - Olofsson - Bemström
Sylvegård - Gustafsson - Zetterlund
Fagemo - Hugg - Södergran
(Leufvenius)

Option B:

Sylvegård - Gustafsson - Södergran
Hållander - Hugg - Fagemo
(Leufvenius)

Of course Monten is equally likely to move Holmberg to C. Hugg brings the fire that Sweden needs, whereas Gustafsson is a skilled big player who it would be a shame to leave behind.
I think option A is great and also pretty likely.
My prefered top line was always:
Bemström - Lundeström - Elvenes

Bemström is great in that position and also plays LW on PP where he scores most of his goals and we know Elvenes performes best on RW. That means that we lose some of that grit we talked about tho, even if I think Lundeström can compensate a bit for that...
And a line with Hållander, Olofsson and Sylvegård/Zetterlund would be seriously tough for any WJC line to face against.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad