WJC: Sweden 2019 Roster Talk

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
So the defense is pretty much set for the WJC? (Assuming Liljegren, Sandin & Brännström comes)

Liljegren
Brännström
Sandin
Ginning
Boqvist
Westerlund
Johansson

Barring injuries I'd be very surprised If Montén left any of the above out. Sandin, Westerlund and Ginning would be far from locks if I were to decide.
Sandin has had a great start to his AHL career be it a small sample size while also looking really good in pre-season. Should be a good one for Sweden.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
https://hockeynews.se/articles/5045/

Brännström says he wants to obviously play WJC, especially after the 2nd place last year. Does add that it's up to Vegas, McPhee is very positive to international tournaments for development reasons so unless he gets injured I'm 100% certain he'll come and play.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Monten is failing hard on the international stage, and refuses to learn from his mistakes. He makes so many bad decisions: Elvenes still on the left wing, Sveningsson still on the right. Same dysfunctional line combinations, same bland approach.

I can see Monten getting fired soon. The only question is if it will be before January 5th. We can hope for something like what happened with the Finns, where the team struggles out of the gate and the coach is fired before the elimination games.

Love what I saw from Elvenes against the Czechs. Most talented forward on this team by a mile.

He is the best winger available for this WJC, but Monten continues to play him out of position. The talent is plain to see in these games, but Lucas is struggling on the left boards, he cannot get going offensively from that side.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
So the defense is pretty much set for the WJC? (Assuming Liljegren, Sandin & Brännström comes)

Liljegren
Brännström
Sandin
Ginning
Boqvist
Westerlund
Johansson

Barring injuries I'd be very surprised If Montén left any of the above out. Sandin, Westerlund and Ginning would be far from locks if I were to decide.

Good post and I agree. It's between Lundkvist and Sandin for the seventh defenceman spot right now. Ginning for some strange reason appears to be a lock for Monten. I'd probably take Sandin for my bottom pair/7th D spot, but his play in his own zone the last few games worries me.

Jaguaren

Oct 23, 2018
Well, after this poor performance in Czech I think that some changes in the roster will definitely happen. My thoughts are:

-Sveningsson, Wernblom, Bäck, Höglander, Lycksell

+Hugg, Leufvenius, Gustafsson, Zetterlund, Berggren?

Don’t know if Berggren is the player to have in a 3rd or 4th line though. First 4 names should definitely have a spot in the team after this tourney.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
He is the best winger available for this WJC, but Monten continues to play him out of position. The talent is plain to see in these games, but Lucas is struggling on the left boards, he cannot get going offensively from that side.

Maybe I'm just not that high on Elvenes but if he's head and shoulders the #1 winger for team Sweden they're going to have trouble scoring.

He can turn it on like a faucet but consistency has been an issue from what I've seen.

Jaguaren

Oct 23, 2018
Maybe I'm just not that high on Elvenes but if he's head and shoulders the #1 winger for team Sweden they're going to have trouble scoring.

He can turn it on like a faucet but consistency has been an issue from what I've seen.
Never been a big fan of him either, don’t know why there’s such a big hype about him. Of course he’s great with the puck, great skater and passer, no one can take that from him. But he’s always on the outside, doesn’t really create does dangerous chances.

He also needs to battle more, he doesn’t win many battles if you look at him for one game. Also I think that he is trying to much to make does difficult passes instead of sometimes just make an easier choice. I’m not saying he’s an bad player but he’s definitely not a leading player.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!

I get what you're saying, as ideally Elvenes is a complimentary player on a top scoring line.

However he is the only WJC eligible winger Sweden has that put up top 6 numbers in the SHL last year (playing at right wing). None of the other wingers have that track record of sustained success. He had that feud with his coach and therefore started the current season slowly, but from what I've seen in his last 4 SHL games, he's playing even better hockey now (again on the right wing) and has improved from last year.

However, Monten (who has a Dan Bylsma level of stubbornness) continues to play Elvenes out of position on the left wing, where he cannot play to his potential as a result. Elvenes needs that quick one timer and one touch snap shot option around the net (which he gets plenty of as a RW) to truly be dangerous. Like Mogilny or Bure he's a natural right winger with a left handed shot. Monten is plugging him onto the left wing likely because he shoots left, but that's not his natural game.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Well, after this poor performance in Czech I think that some changes in the roster will definitely happen.

I agree with your conclusion, although I think most will agree the biggest change needed is a coaching change. Sweden needs a coach who can adapt when his plan is not working and intelligently change his strategy or line combinations when the results show that changes are needed. Monten has failed to demonstrate any signs of being able to adapt to adversity so far, and has regularly lost to teams that have worse rosters on paper.

My thoughts are:

-Sveningsson, Wernblom, Bäck, Höglander, Lycksell

+Hugg, Leufvenius, Gustafsson, Zetterlund, Berggren?

Don’t know if Berggren is the player to have in a 3rd or 4th line though. First 4 names should definitely have a spot in the team after this tourney.

I agree with 9/10 of your changes. Zetterlund, if healthy is a no brainer selection. Hugg and Berggren should be easy picks as well. Leufvenius plays on the small ice and provides a power game that none of the other forwards do. He should make the final roster as well.

The only argument I would make is that cutting Sveningsson would be premature. He has 15 points in 15 games in Allsvenskan this year while playing on the left wing. Monten for some unknown reason is playing him out of position on the right wing. This makes even less sense than moving Elvenes out of position because Sveningsson is a left winger who shoots left. I would argue that Sveningsson hasn't really been given a fair evaluation since Monten has played him on the wrong side.

Jaguaren

Oct 23, 2018
I agree with your conclusion, although I think most will agree the biggest change needed is a coaching change. Sweden needs a coach who can adapt when his plan is not working and intelligently change his strategy or line combinations when the results show that changes are needed. Monten has failed to demonstrate any signs of being able to adapt to adversity so far, and has regularly lost to teams that have worse rosters on paper.

I agree with 9/10 of your changes. Zetterlund, if healthy is a no brainer selection. Hugg and Berggren should be easy picks as well. Leufvenius plays on the small ice and provides a power game that none of the other forwards do. He should make the final roster as well.

The only argument I would make is that cutting Sveningsson would be premature. He has 15 points in 15 games in Allsvenskan this year while playing on the left wing. Monten for some unknown reason is playing him out of position on the right wing. This makes even less sense than moving Elvenes out of position because Sveningsson is a left winger who shoots left. I would argue that Sveningsson hasn't really been given a fair evaluation since Monten has played him on the wrong side.
Agree, coaching change would be the smartest move. I have never really liked Montèns leadership. To be honest I think that Montèn doesn’t even know that Elvenes is a RW and Sveningsson LW.

Jaguaren

Oct 23, 2018
Nearly 100% sure that Sveningsson won’t make the team after this tournament which I think is a little sad because he didn’t really get a full chance to show what he goes for.
But still He got 10/15 points in pp and a -4 in 5v5 in the top team in Allsvenskan. If he would make the team he needs to get a pp role and play in the 1st/2nd line which I don’t think this team got room for.

rickardr

Oct 10, 2016
Sweden
https://hockeynews.se/articles/5083/

Chances of getting Lundeström just increased.

I don't really care if Berggren plays on a top line or a 4th line. We need someone who can create offense outside of Elvenes. Would be madness not to bring him at this point.
Something like this maybe..

Zetterlund - Lundeström - Elvenes
Bemström - Holmberg - Leufvenius
Hållander - Olofsson - Berggren
Fagemo - Gustafsson - Sylwegård
Hugg/Höglander

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Something like this maybe..

Zetterlund - Lundeström - Elvenes
Bemström - Holmberg - Leufvenius
Hållander - Olofsson - Berggren
Fagemo - Gustafsson - Sylwegård
Hugg/Höglander

Wouldn't gamble with a Leufvenius. We have better players in Sweden. Big, slow forwards from the CHL have never worked out in the past. Södergran is a lock.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Just wondering what Swedes opinions on Pontus Holmberg are? I would assume he is quite the long shot to make the team but he is having a decent enough year in the SHL by the looks of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad