WJC: Sweden 2019 Roster Talk

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
MODOs best forward this season in my opinion, u have players like Karlkvist or Björklund that made more points, but overall I think Wernblom has been better.

I haven't seen so much other games than MODO this season, but if he is far down at the reserve list other players must been amazing.

Wernblom loves to battle, often very good in important games and sequences too, for example against US at the U-18 WC last season, it's a player u really like to have in your team.

He has to continue his progression for playing in this WJC, like everyone else, but I think his mentality are very good to have in a team, u have also creativeness and hard work too.

Next step for him is to take out his defenseman with speed, according himself in a interview recently, so he knows what to improve.

If he doesn't make the team this year, he probably will next year, so he could see this more like a big bonus. Everything to win, nothing to lose.

The biggest win is that he has taking a bigger role in MODO, and have a coach that really trust him, which is very good for his development as a player.

Two reasons why I don't want him on the team.

1. Wernblom lacks pace in his game. He's small and isn't really a great skater, on top of that he doesn't make plays quick enough. Probably why he wasn't drafted. Everything will happen much faster on the smaller ice. I don't think he will be effective.

2. Huge lack of dicipline. He's in the box way too often and it has hurt his team many times. Often extremely stupid penalties too, slashes away from the play and unnecessary "toughness" after the whistle. It drives me nuts, you can't have players like that in a short tournament.

Reactions: Wings4Life

MODO Hockey

Aug 21, 2015
Well, I am very pleased with his performance in MODO this autumn and I don't think it has been much stupid penalties this season, it was worse before.

I like how he battles out there and want something, it gives energy and he stands up for the team.

I am sure that he would be drafted if the NHL clubs had this autumn from him under their belt before picking.

He needs and wants to improve his speed, it's not something new, he talked about it himself.

Hurt his team many times? It's nothing compares to how many times he has lifted his teams.

In fact for MODO teams and Ångermanland he has been invaluable through the years, very good team player who has the ability to get his teammates join the train, instead of acting like public.

With Sweden he was great against US at the U-18 WC (2 goals, 1 assist), scored twice (inclusive GWG) in the penalty shootout against Canada at the U-17 WHC semifinal and assisted to the GWG in the final. I should say this is Team 00s three most spectacular wins and he has been pretty involved.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Jacob Peterson, Kalle Miketinac have both been very good in allsvenskan.

Victor Söderström have been very good in SHL.

Maybe one of these guys in the end can steal a spot.

Last edited:

Jaguaren

Oct 23, 2018
Jacob Peterson, Kalle Miketinac have both been very good in allsvenskan.

Victor Söderström have been very good in SHL.

Maybe one of these guys can in the end can steal a spot.
Victor Söderström has been really really good in his few games in SHL. I think it’s too many D’s with the same style of play as him though, as example Boqvist, Liljegren, Brännström, Sandin (even though Brännström and Sandin are lefty’s).

I think Montèn rather pick a more defensively defender than him, Ginning as example. Unfortunately Söderström have too many lacks in the dz in my opinion, and the offensive role is too busy in this team.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Victor Söderström has been really really good in his few games in SHL. I think it’s too many D’s with the same style of play as him though, as example Boqvist, Liljegren, Brännström, Sandin (even though Brännström and Sandin are lefty’s).

I think Montèn rather pick a more defensively defender than him, Ginning as example. Unfortunately Söderström have too many lacks in the dz in my opinion, and the offensive role is too busy in this team.

I don't see Söderström as an offensive D, he's rather good defensively and handles the physical game surprisingly well. I agree though, most likely they go with size instead. I'd take him easily over Lundkvist and Westerlund (two other RHD's) IF he continues to play like this in the SHL. I think he has a real shot.

Ginning is not good in his own zone however, he's actually not a very good hockey player at all. Unfortunately I think he will be on the team.

Jaguaren

Oct 23, 2018
I don't see Söderström as an offensive D, he's rather good defensively and handles the physical game surprisingly well. I agree though, most likely they go with size instead. I'd take him easily over Lundkvist and Westerlund (two other RHD's) IF he continues to play like this in the SHL. I think he has a real shot.

Ginning is not good in his own zone however, he's actually not a very good hockey player at all. Unfortunately I think he will be on the team.
I would also rather pick Söderström over Lundkvist and Westerlund, unfortunately I think Montèn will go with Westerlund instead because of the last year situation.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Hugo Leufvenius with another big, two goal game. He now has 8 goals and 18 points in 15 OHL games for a weak Sarnia team. Sveningsson adds another point, maintains his PPG pace in Allsvenskan.

If these two can keep it up, I'll feel a bit better about the left wing situation.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Anyone who watched Rogle recently knows if Elvenes has been playing right wing or left wing the last 3 games? He has 3 points in his last 3 games and I’m hearing he’s looked good.

Also, was Elvenes a right wing or a left wing in the SHL last season?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Anyone who watched Rogle recently knows if Elvenes has been playing right wing or left wing the last 3 games? He has 3 points in his last 3 games and I’m hearing he’s looked good.

Also, was Elvenes a right wing or a left wing in the SHL last season?

I haven't watched much but I believe he was mostly RW last season, and this season he's mostly been at LW. He's played the past 3 games on the left wing.

Funnily enough they demoted his brother the past 3 games after Lucas' issues with his coach. (Edit: 2 weeks later)

Last edited:
Reactions: Wings4Life

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I haven't watched much but I believe he was mostly RW last season, and this season he's mostly been at 3rd line LW.

Funnily enough they demoted his brother the past 3 games after Lucas' issues with his coach. (Edit: 2 weeks later)
From what I've seen he's played RW the majority of this season too, and last 3 at RW. I try to check in from time to time when Luleå is at a break.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Liljegren looking like a future number one defenceman tonight, excellent on the PP and dominant at both ends of the ice.

He’ll be one of the best D for any team at the WJC, assuming he’s available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad