WJC: Sweden 2019 Roster Talk

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Forwards that seem to have taken the next step and are putting up "elite" performances so far:

Bemström (SHL: 6 points in 8 games)
Sveningsson (Allsvenskan: 10 points in 9 games)
Hållander (SHL: 6 points in 8 games)
Sodergran (SHL: 6 points in 9 games)
Lundeström: (Showing flashes at the NHL level)

HM: Olofsson, Sylvegård (4 goals in 7 SHL games), Hugg

That said, it's likely Isac will be sent down once Getzlaf returns, which is great for Tre Kronor.

Sveningsson has turned into a top 10 scorer in the Allsvenskan pro league, which is a harder league to dominate than the OHL or WHL for example. Sveningsson could definitely crack the top 9 on this team, especially since the left side is a little weaker than the right.

Finally, it's nice to see that Zetterlund has woken up from his deep 7 game slumber with his first goal and first assist of the year. About time. He needs to be a factor for this team.

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
I like your roster, would only cut maybe 1 or 2 of those forwards. But you have many of these guys playing on the wrong side (Bemström, Zetterlund, Sandin, Boqvist, Hållander, Westerlund...), which makes the combos rather unlikely.
I realized after I put it together that I had RW on LW and vice versa and just didn't bother to change it. But the line combos seems very reasonable to me, C+LW+RW on 3 of the lines and C+RW+RW on the fourth line. Boqvist obviously plays RD, and will be paired as RD. And Westerlund and Johansson are both RD. My roster is based on previous and present performances and should work just fine.
Lucas Raymond on the team is of course very debatable.
So what forwards would you cut and who would you add in their place?

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
Forwards that seem to have taken the next step and are putting up "elite" performances so far:

Bemström (SHL: 6 points in 8 games)
Sveningsson (Allsvenskan: 10 points in 9 games)
Hållander (SHL: 6 points in 8 games)
Sodergran (SHL: 6 points in 9 games)
Lundeström: (Showing flashes at the NHL level)

HM: Olofsson, Sylvegård (4 goals in 7 SHL games), Hugg

That said, it's likely Isac will be sent down once Getzlaf returns, which is great for Tre Kronor.

Sveningsson has turned into a top 10 scorer in the Allsvenskan pro league, which is a harder league to dominate than the OHL or WHL for example. Sveningsson could definitely crack the top 9 on this team, especially since the left side is a little weaker than the right.

Finally, it's nice to see that Zetterlund has woken up from his deep 7 game slumber with his first goal and first assist of the year. About time. He needs to be a factor for this team.
It not just Zetterlund, his whole team has been in a slumber, can't blame the guy born 1999 for that. I watched the game when he scored his first goal. He was probably the best player on the ice most of the game, really gritty and tough to play against in that game.

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
@Svanstrom - does Sandin being currently injured hurt his chances? Are the players competing for him for his spot currently playing well?
I wouldn't think so, as long as he gets back to playing before the tournament. Has there been a decision if he's staying with the Marlies or is he going back to SHL?

I'd say there's a bunch of interesting defensemen battling for a spot in WJC this year. From his draft year probably Nils Lundvist, which have looked good when I've watched him. Adam Ginning should be close, big body, decent skater, good defensively and plays regularly in SHL.
Personally I prefer Sandin, I think he should play if he can. Behind him and the top 4 I prefer Westerlund and Ginning paired, but a lot of people and the draft says Filip Johansson is great, and I believe them, but I haven't watched him myself. Other than that Tom Hedberg, Simon Johansson, Jacob Ragnarsson, Axel Andersson should all be close to making the team. It all comes down to who and what type of player Montén and the staff prefers begind Brännström, Liljegren and Boqvist.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I wouldn't think so, as long as he gets back to playing before the tournament. Has there been a decision if he's staying with the Marlies or is he going back to SHL?

I'd say there's a bunch of interesting defensemen battling for a spot in WJC this year. From his draft year probably Nils Lundvist, which have looked good when I've watched him. Adam Ginning should be close, big body, decent skater, good defensively and plays regularly in SHL.
Personally I prefer Sandin, I think he should play if he can. Behind him and the top 4 I prefer Westerlund and Ginning paired, but a lot of people and the draft says Filip Johansson is great, and I believe them, but I haven't watched him myself. Other than that Tom Hedberg, Simon Johansson, Jacob Ragnarsson, Axel Andersson should all be close to making the team. It all comes down to who and what type of player Montén and the staff prefers begind Brännström, Liljegren and Boqvist.
He is currently skating with the Marlies. I saw confirmation that he has been skating (the injury is a hand injury). I believe a decision will be made once he's ready to return to gameplay.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Both Holtz and Raymond selected to play at the WU17 tournament in Canada. Chances of them playing in this years WJC are extremely slim.

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
He is currently skating with the Marlies. I saw confirmation that he has been skating (the injury is a hand injury). I believe a decision will be made once he's ready to return to gameplay.
I hope he stays in Marlies, but at the same time I wonder if he would get a bigger role with Rögle in SHL.

Both Holtz and Raymond selected to play at the WU17 tournament in Canada. Chances of them playing in this years WJC are extremely slim.
It's not super likely no. Raymond has looked interesting even with the limited ice time he's been given tho. If he gets more ice time and perform with that, then he should have the same chance as anyone else I guess.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
I realized after I put it together that I had RW on LW and vice versa and just didn't bother to change it. But the line combos seems very reasonable to me, C+LW+RW on 3 of the lines and C+RW+RW on the fourth line. Boqvist obviously plays RD, and will be paired as RD. And Westerlund and Johansson are both RD. My roster is based on previous and present performances and should work just fine.
Lucas Raymond on the team is of course very debatable.
So what forwards would you cut and who would you add in their place?

Sveningsson and Berggren in for Raymond and Fagemo, based on what I have seen so far.

Reactions: Svanstrom

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Apparently he and his coach have patched things up.

Too bad the Wheat Kings drafted Brannstrom instead of Elvenes though.

Yeah, too bad. Only played 14 minutes tonight. Not bad, but he's earned more TOI based on last season alone.

Elvenes is a lock for my top 6 still (should have made the team last year), just needs to put up a couple points to get back in a groove before the WJC.

Bemstrom is playing like an elite talent. If he keeps it up, he's another top 6 lock.

Sylvegard will make the team, as many of us thought he would. Has a little bit of everything.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
where is david gustavsson? he is not playing games.

Åhman
Ersson
Ek

Brännström - Liljegren
Filip Johansson - Boqvist
Sandin - Ginning
Hedberg/Berglund

Bemström - Lundeström - Sylvegård
Hållander - Olofsson - Elvenes
Fagemo - Hugg - Sveningsson
Södergran - Leufvenius - Zetterlund
Wernblom

Noel Gunler? He was great today against Redhawks.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
You know monten will screw up and take too many grinders instead of talented players just because they are young

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Bemström has been on fire. Had another dominant performance yesterday, which brings him to 10 points in 10 games in the SHL.

Safe to say Bemström now rivals Elvenes as the best Swedish winger for this WJC. Elvenes was better last year, and on the same ice at the summer showcase this season, but since then his problems with the coach at Rogle have held him back.

Hopefully, Elvenes gets traded to a team that will use him as a top line option, if Rogle won't. Bemström on the other hand just seems to be getting better every time I see him.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Bemström has been on fire. Had another dominant performance yesterday, which brings him to 10 points in 10 games in the SHL.

Safe to say Bemström now rivals Elvenes as the best Swedish winger for this WJC. Elvenes was better last year, and on the same ice at the summer showcase this season, but since then his problems with the coach at Rogle have held him back.

Hopefully, Elvenes gets traded to a team that will use him as a top line option, if Rogle won't. Bemström on the other hand just seems to be getting better every time I see him.

7 out of those 10 Bemström points are on that red hot PP, including 6 goals. He's been shooting at 55% and is playing less than 9 minutes/game at even strength.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad